• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: 'Arena Commander' Dogfighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sentenza

Right now all the weapons are Class 2 (on the 300i) and gimballed with autoaim, but "activating" auto aim requires you to keep the cursor *on* the target, so it's not that bad. Would still like my for-realz Class-1 weapons with no auto-aim, though.
I'm not sure I'm getting the description right, but... Isn't this essentially how weapons always worked in most "space sims" since Wing Commander/X-Wing?

red731

VI3is6x.png

Cut and inverted gamepad controls from the pdf I linked above. Will come handy to me, since no joystick.

Landscape print, use, share.

elyetis

-Game look amazing and with better performance than I expected.

-Not really sold by how you have to toggle between couple/decoupled to go between beeing able to rotate your ship, and being able to straff. ( or I didn't understand everything ? ).

-I couldn't hit shit without autoaim ( I bad enough with it ).

-Yet it's fun.

-I don't get how to use the missiles.

-There is quite a lack of feeling of speed/acceleration I think.

Can't even get to Launcher/Downloader to load on windows 8.1 =( When installing it said "Your version of C++ Redistributable is too new"

elyetis

Can't even get to Launcher/Downloader to load on windows 8.1 =( When installing it said "Your version of C++ Redistributable is too new"
You can download older C++ Redistributable package on microsft website, don't know which one are needed for StarCitizen thought.

Love my new 300i. As said previously, I hope RSI lets me keep it.
14340375471_7f38b19bbb_b.jpg

0_0 that 300i looks amazing!!

3AM here and work in 4 hours, but I couldn't resist playing before going to sleep. Still trying to get used to kb/m controls, but the game looks gorgeous!

http://a.pomf.se/fbncki.webm
http://a.pomf.se/fuxzbu.webm

Getting 50+fps on my GTX 770 + i5 4670K. Running @1080p on Very High. Just for kicks: I get 30fps solid on 2560x1440 and a buttery smooth 15fps at 3200x1800 ;~;

"I'm not sure I'm getting the description right, but... Isn't this essentially how weapons always worked in most "space sims" since Wing Commander/X-Wing?"

That's not how it worked in the best space sim of all time: Freespace 2. You had to manually lead targets and aim your projectiles.

Also, I take back what I said about controls being smooth. Dunno if it's this config I've got going now with both my stick and throttle but I'm getting some weird random movements with my stick, more testing required.

red731

Are there more gfx options or is it the same as hangar module, where I was forcing vsync via other software?

Lazlo

So i can sit in the hornet but nothing else... no HUD loading or anything. If I hit esc then "Back to hangar" it loads then i get the HUD, but no game options or anything for me :\

So i can sit in the hornet but nothing else... no HUD loading or anything. If I hit esc then "Back to hangar" it loads then i get the HUD, but no game options or anything for me :

lol I did the same thing. You have to go grab the helmet next to the wall. Should be on a glowing pedestal.

Faith

I just don't get it. Why can't I enter the Arena mode? There is no menu popping up when I sit in a ship.

What the fuck is wrong?

Lazlo

Haha yea I just found a thread on the forum talking about a helmet. Odd design choice since it's easy to miss. Let's try this again!

AxeMan

Says it need repair ?

Stuck like this for an hour now :

Same problem for me.

Not sure of any solution other than wait,

I haven't been in the Hanger Module since release many moon ago and had a few fair updates to do - it's stuck with 12 patches left

Anyone running this on an AMD card, what's the performance like? I have i5 3570k and Radeon 7950, I'm assuming I'll be running the game around medium settings with those.

red731

Anyone running this on an AMD card, what's the performance like? I have i5 3570k and Radeon 7950, I'm assuming I'll be running the game around medium settings with those.

I will report back when I get home and from the meeting, but I have 7970 3GB GHz and the hangar module ran at 60fps Very High, locked via RadeonPro.

I have OC'd my 3770k to 4.4 and haven't tried it yet, so I am looking forward to everything Arena Commander.

golem

Pretty solid 40-50fps in 1080p with my 290 in Vandaal Swarm. ~2700mb VRAM usage.

Vlodril

Game runs great on my 660ti (the vanduul swarm at least). Unfortunately it doesnt recognize my joystic and throttle and no idea how to go about fixing it(there isnt any calibration option in game that i can find).

Also i got overheating on the lasers twice and i have also no idea how to fix that. i tried to power down my missiles but couldnt do it either. I can select the weapons on the hud and there are three options (an icon for on/off i think a mechanical key icon and a third icon which i have no idea what it does). I could move within the three options but no idea how to actually select them.

Dries

This game looks too good..... Could I be able to get Ultra settings (60 fps is no requirement) on a:

i5 2500k OC'd to 4.1 ghz
GTX 770 2 gig
8 GB RAM
1920 x 1080

Faith

This game looks too good..... Could I be able to get Ultra settings (60 fps is no requirement) on a:

i5 2500k OC'd to 4.1 ghz
GTX 770 2 gig
8 GB RAM
1920 x 1080
I have a 4770K @4Ghz and also a GTX770 (4GB, 1.2GHz) and the performance is really good. Really smooth on Very High, around 50-60fps.

Dries

I have a 4770K @4Ghz and also a GTX770 (4GB, 1.2GHz) and the performance is really good. Really smooth on Very High, around 50-60fps.

That's great news, thanks. How dependent is the game on VRAM? I've been scared since Watch Dogs was released.

Irobot82

Anyone running it yet with a 7950 or a 280?
I'll download when I get some today around 5:00 p.m. EST and then I'll be on around 8:30.

Honestly I want so much more. Obviously as I invested in a constellation, I have alot of hopes for the game. That being said I'm incredibly impressed with their progress so far. Honestly if all I get is this with the slew of ships, more weapons and MP, that would still make one hell of a game. If I could make/play co-op missions even better. The actual universe with all its bartering, mining, pirates and systems ,all of that is just a massive ocean of gravy. I want it, but even if I don't get absolutely everything I want, I'll probably still be happy.

I just played for a few hours, and more than just stable with solid gameplay. It felt pretty polished, and looked incredible. Controls were a little wonky, but that's the easiest fix.

PS I tried using the game pad controls, and while flight felt pretty good, just dont. You lose so much control overall it completely hamstrings your flying capabilities, especially quick maneuvers.

elseanio

Holy crap that artifacting. I'm not having that issue 60+ fps on very high. 770 4gb, 4670k at 4.7ghz. What settings have you tried changing?

Occurs less at 1920x1080, but still there. Possibly doesn't like the odd aspect ratio of 21:9, but not sure why that would cause this type of corruption

red731

Operation "use mother to download" successful.
Game is downloading and will be ready before I get home. Sweet

Minsc

Gold Member
These ship models are jaw-dropping!

Hopefully the shadows in those first two pics are improved, they look so horrible compared to the rest of the image.

Nice AA on the ship, then these huge 40-pixel stepping shadows cast from a perfectly smooth object.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom