• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: Hangar Module

Izayoi

Banned
So what's the deal with the different looking hangars? Is it tied to ship manufacturer or is there something I'm missing?

Nokterian

Well bought the business hangar..now i can look around how i wanted it. My ship is phenomenal <3 It's funny that menu still having that Crysis 2 and 3 moving around to it.

Grief.exe

Well bought the business hangar..now i can look around how i wanted it. My ship is phenomenal <3 It's funny that menu still having that Crysis 2 and 3 moving around to it.

A lot of Cryengine games do that actually.

If you watch videos on the Timesplitters fan mod, they do the same thing as well.

red731

Get out while you still can, lol. Constant updates, fiction, Wingman's Hangar, sale events, a great community ... SAVE YOURSELF WHILE YOU STILL CAN. :)

jtdp3pwyzuiqyksbtdrx.jpg

Already watched many Wingmans, Gamescon interviews with people and crew. One planet will be gone in five years - its occupants are the best thing to ship away.
Good night. Tomorrow's information overload awaits.

Nokterian

A lot of Cryengine games do that actually.

If you watch videos on the Timesplitters fan mod, they do the same thing as well.

Hopefully it goes out of there,to mutch reference to crysis lol. But for a early alpha it looks pretty amazing. Can't wait to fly that puppy with my X360 controller!

MrBig

Hopefully it goes out of there,to mutch reference to crysis lol. But for a early alpha it looks pretty amazing. Can't wait to fly that puppy with my X360 controller!

They've said they want to eventually do an in-fiction interface with hardware like the pipboy, and to eventually be devoid of all screenspace UI once in-game.

XEROWUN

Neo Member
so i've already donated an awful lot of money toward this and have been living in denial that my computer was going to be sufficient. the hanger client didnt load up (black screen) and most likely its because of my system specs(morespacifically my GFX card).

I'm already in this deep so i will be upgrading or even building a new system, but I just dont know when the best time would be.

So guys, when should be the optimal time to build a new system? right now? dogfighting module or right before release? I feel like since i already "paid" for the alpha/beta access, i should really take advantage but also dont want to rush building a system for a game that wont be out for 2 years officially. Just need some advice.

Blizzard

Banned
so i've already donated an awful lot of money toward this and have been living in denial that my computer was going to be sufficient. the hanger client didnt load up (black screen) and most likely its because of my system specs(morespacifically my GFX card).

I'm already in this deep so i will be upgrading or even building a new system, but I just dont know when the best time would be.

So guys, when should be the optimal time to build a new system? right now? dogfighting module or right before release? I feel like since i already "paid" for the alpha/beta access, i should really take advantage but also dont want to rush building a system for a game that wont be out for 2 years officially. Just need some advice.
If you don't mind not seeing the hangar now, I would at least suggest waiting for the dogfighter module. That way:

A) You can see what performance other people get with specific CPU/GPU combinations, and decide what you need, and

B) Video card performance will probably be cheaper, so you might be able to pick up something like what is currently a high-end GTX card for a lower price than you would pay today.

MrBig

Wait for skylake (~2015) to release (unless AMD changes paths soon) for your CPU and Maxwell (~2014) to release for your GPU. Both bring relatively big changes to their particular fronts and there's not much reason to buy current hardware if you can wait.

XEROWUN

Neo Member
thanks for the advice everyone. i know haswell just came out earlier this summer so i dont know if waiting fro the next iteration will be too late. that would mean i will miss the entire alpha/beta which is an options as well.

MrBig

thanks for the advice everyone. i know haswell just came out earlier this summer so i dont know if waiting fro the next iteration will be too late. that would mean i will miss the entire alpha/beta which is an options as well.

You could try to find a gtx 460 for cheap to hold you over until you do a full system rebuild

Nokterian

They've said they want to eventually do an in-fiction interface with hardware like the pipboy, and to eventually be devoid of all screenspace UI once in-game.

That sounds pretty cool. I all ready love how mutch detail there is in 3rd person view and even when going in to your ship or sitting down. Every little thing you can turn on i like it.

Twinduct

So ... what exactly can I do in the hanger?
I've gotten into my single ship, clipped my ass into the drivers seat. Clipped the panels as I controlled the rudder. Open the halo deck thing.

Can I do anything else? And with the halo deck, it's basically just a use function to bring up the bubble display and not being able to interact after that right?

Zabojnik

Dunno, I love how the game looks. And by game I mean the ships, there's not really much else there to see, is there? The industrial design fits the fiction perfectly. Just look at this beauty ...

We've also seen some pretty concept artwork.

Can't please everybody, I guess.

my current rig its a i7 3770k 16gb gtx770 4gb will be good for the game?

btws art in this game is awe inspiring,everything looks so well designed

Nokterian

Dunno, I love how the game looks. And by game I mean the ships, there's not really much else there to see, is there? The industrial design fits the fiction perfectly. Just look at this beauty ...

We've also seen some pretty concept artwork.

Can't please everybody, I guess.

Landing on planets and walking around places. This is what Mass Effect needed but couldn't execute it. This is going to be so amazing when it is fully released. I mean this is what i wanted. I played some space games in the past and recent years. But wandering around on that second and third picture just looking at the sky and go there to discover is a dream come true for me.

MrBig

Landing on planets and walking around places. This is what Mass Effect needed but couldn't execute it. This is going to be so amazing when it is fully released. I mean this is what i wanted. I played some space games in the past and recent years. But wandering around on that second and third picture just looking at the sky and go there to discover is a dream come true for me.

Keep your hopes in check, they can't deliver on anything too ambitious in the near term. CR has talked about planetary exploration and free space to atmosphere flight but that's a huge content issue. If they do go down that road it'll be gradual over many years as they flesh out each environment enough to make it feasible.

At launch we're just getting encapsulated cities that we land at with an (in-engine) cinematic.

D

Deleted member 245925

Unconfirmed Member
Look at that download speed lol.

OvmemaP.jpg

That's just the speed it's writing on your HDD (hence "Applying patch"), the download had already finished. They limited the download speed to 4 MB/s with the latest patch to avoid traffic spikes killing their file hoster.

Keep your hopes in check, they can't deliver on anything too ambitious in the near term.

I'm really looking forward to this game, but reading their forums, people are completely delusional about what this game will offer at launch. I guess they'll hit the floor pretty hard...

Nokterian

Keep your hopes in check, they can't deliver on anything too ambitious in the near term. CR has talked about planetary exploration and free space to atmosphere flight but that's a huge content issue. If they do go down that road it'll be gradual over many years as they flesh out each environment enough to make it feasible.

At launch we're just getting encapsulated cities that we land at with an (in-engine) cinematic.

Sure but there will be hubs to explore and that is a start,but we will see down the road but it would be cool though. Thank god for in-engine cinematic landig at this moment. I never could enter a atmosphere in other games before crash and burn or something :p

Vlodril

Yea the expectations are completely unrealistic. I think they will go for something like freelancer(?) with the bar, the ship dealer etc.

Branduil

They might eventually be able to do procedurally generated planets. Obviously you can't handcraft an entire galaxy.

CTLance

They might eventually be able to do procedurally generated planets. Obviously you can't handcraft an entire galaxy.
Procedurally generated stuff is the domain of Limit Theory and Elite:Dangerous. Star Citizen will have a handcrafted Universe, and I for one do like that aspect.

Blizzard

Banned
Procedurally generated stuff is the domain of Limit Theory and Elite:Dangerous. Star Citizen will have a handcrafted Universe, and I for one do like that aspect.
If they're handcrafting yet allowing people FPS-style movement on planets, I can't imagine how they would do things. Even handcrafting a city GTA style is a huge undertaking.

I would personally be happy with procedural generation, guided by humans.

I caved in and bought a 300i bundle. Downloading the first three patches was a quick process. Now I am here...

1JKPR0m.png

EDIT: Jumped to 4+ hours

Zabojnik

Chris Robert's detailed explanation about Voyager Direct, a must read. Poll included.

[...] I should also point out that Voyager Direct is intended only to sell cosmetic items or basic ship items that would be available on pretty much any planet – the better items will always have to be bought by actually flying to the appropriate planet or earning the via gameplay. There is no need to buy anything from Voyager Direct – it is all OPTIONAL and should be viewed the same way that you view paying for a subscription or buying a skin. All of this will be earnable in the game, without too much time invested.

I’m very opposed to having a game where ANY of the items, outside of your initial game / ship package can be only purchased with cash. I hate the bifurcation of items in most online games, even when they are just for flair items. I want Star Citizen to allow players to earn everything they need in-game for ships, upgrades and even flair. [...]

Zabojnik

I've gone with option D, but I guess most people will go for either A or B. I'm fine with whatever, really. Great response time from CIG, as always. I remember when a similar 'controvery' developed about how they were handle unique usernames / nicknames / character names in the universe. People really didn't like the initially proposed idea ($), CR detailed his view on the issue, a poll went up, people voted, the problem was solved in a matter of days, everybody's happy.

MrBig

I&#8217;m investigating the difficulty of implementing &#8220;TEST UEC&#8221; now rather than waiting for the dogfighting module
If this was their intention I'm fine with how the shop is set up now, but they made absolutely no mention of this before now and so it made what they were doing look extremely poor.

Any tips? I want to melt down my scout. Just generally want a all around ship/exploring ship. That is the 300 right?

Yea the 300i seems like a good multipurpose ship. If you want an exploration focused variant then you could consider getting the 315p. Or just get the basic version and buy the 315 upgrades with ingame currency when the game launches.

Daedardus

That's just the speed it's writing on your HDD (hence "Applying patch"), the download had already finished. They limited the download speed to 4 MB/s with the latest patch to avoid traffic spikes killing their file hoster.

Oh yeah, I figured out it must be installing, but I didn't saw the applying patch thingie. Most of those things don't show speed anyway. But it's still weird they apparanly had to apply a 2GB patch while I downloaded only 200MB.

Top Bottom