• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds |OT| Seeking Them Out

jason10mm

Gold Member
Women were so helpless in TOS.

Star Trek has always been against barbarism. That was why the Klingons were essentially space Mongolians.
I always thought the klingons were a stand in for Russians and the romulams for the Chinese.

And lets be honest, if not for the generous fight choreography, virtually ALL women are helpless in these situations, if you are talking about physical conflict.

But even TOS had women intellectually pull their weight (along with a lot of gasping and hiding behind Kirk, sure).

Last edited:

Krathoon

When watching TOS, it does get comical how fragile the women are. It was a 60s thing. The old show was pretty sexist.

They totally dropped that in modern Trek.

It does get pretty absurd in the old stuff.

Trilobit

When watching TOS, it does get comical how fragile the women are. It was a 60s thing. The old show was pretty sexist.

It's weird that they did such an overcorrection in STD making Burnham and Georgiou strong enough to fight Klingons in the first episode. It made me wonder if they had some sort of superpowers.

But then they also made Burnham a very emotionally unstable woman who keeps crying constantly instead of being as strong mentally.

bawling-michael-burnham.gif

I actually find Discovery a whole lot more absurd in that respect.

Batiman

Banned
Ok so I watched the first episode of season 1 and I thought it was pretty good. The poster for the series makes Pike look a lot more of a douche than he actually is.

Also I’m the last person to complain about female characters ( my tag was male feminist for a while lol) but is the whole crew/bridge made up of women?
To me this representation takes the opposite effect as now you have a whole crew of women ( and Spock) taking orders from chad Pike.

Gonna continues watching as I’m in a trek mode and this seems pretty fun. Nice visuals as well. Maybe a little too much colour for my tastes though.

Last edited:

Laptop1991

I watched the first 2 episodes of season 1 and i gotta admit, i don't like it and i don't want to watch anymore, it didn't grab me and i didn't see TOS in it, fair play to those that do but i got bored.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

I still to this day call some women "a walking freezer unit" (in gest, of course)

I just subscribe to Paramount Plus to watch a lot of the new Star Trek.

I finished episode 2 of season 1 of Strange New Worlds. Not too bad but it's going to take me some time to get used to this cast. Spock isn't too believable here. It just doesn't seem like spot to me but maybe that'll change.

I like the alien race encountered in the second episode. It just doesn't look like a humanoid with some weird forehead. Instead it was some entirely CGI created alien that looks pretty cool.

I wonder if we'll get to see the point where Pike ends up in the wheelchair pushing the buttons to talk. And if he'll meet the Talosians or whatever those big headed aliens were called from the original series. I watched that episode not too long ago so I know how that ends up for him.

Samuel Kirk looks like Walt Disney.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
I caught up to where season 2 is but I haven't watched the latest episode yet.

I've really enjoyed Strange New Worlds. I don't like the full cast but I like the vibe of the show. I'm not a fan of Ortegas or La'an So far, even though season 2 has been good to La'an's character.

jason10mm

Gold Member
S2e6 was a good episode. I don't feel like we really needed more depth to uhuras backstory but whatever. And why was Kirk even there? EVERYTHING he did could, and perhaps should, have been done by Pike. This is like the 3rd ep in a row with very little Pike.

Buuuuut, I liked Kirk a lot in this, the actors portrayal is growing on me. That "And you still owe me a drink" line he shot out as L'an was walking away....PURE KIRK SWAGGER!. Just not sure where this Kirk/L'an angle is going, if she isn't gonna make the first move.

Nice to see the 'space hippy' line as well, good to know the writers realize how this stuff looks to the audience and are willing to call themselves put on it. And "you gave me a C" is probably the most truthful motivation any character has ever had on Star Trek :p

Pagusas

Elden Member
S2e6 was a good episode. I don't feel like we really needed more depth to uhuras backstory but whatever. And why was Kirk even there? EVERYTHING he did could, and perhaps should, have been done by Pike. This is like the 3rd ep in a row with very little Pike.

Buuuuut, I liked Kirk a lot in this, the actors portrayal is growing on me. That "And you still owe me a drink" line he shot out as L'an was walking away....PURE KIRK SWAGGER!. Just not sure where this Kirk/L'an angle is going, if she isn't gonna make the first move.

Nice to see the 'space hippy' line as well, good to know the writers realize how this stuff looks to the audience and are willing to call themselves put on it. And "you gave me a C" is probably the most truthful motivation any character has ever had on Star Trek :p
I feel like L’an will have to die at some point before we cross over to TOS range, so obviously it won’t go anywhere, it can’t or it would change the whole khan/kirk dynamic to the point of breaking canon (beyond what I think they are willing to break)

I ADORE Paul playing Kirk, my wife made me watch Vampire Diaries long ago and he grew on me there, the dude has mad swagger when he turns it on.

They are putting Kirk into these episodes as it’s a big redraw and allows us to start filling in gaps. Like now we know when Kirk and Spock first met.

I’m very much looking forward to the end of this show, knowing they’re going to show us Kirk taking over as Captain of the Enterprise, a moment we’ve never got to see in Star Trek, which is baffling given how Kirk is basically the poster boy.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended

I liked that we got to know Uhura better. She and Chekhov and Sulu have the LEAST amount of story ... So I enjoyed this ...

Pelia is too cute! And Kirk was AWESOME!

ManaByte

Gold Member
That episode was awesome. But I don’t remember seeing the beep beep chair line from the trailers in it.

And “TOS” is now canon LOL.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
I liked that we got to know Uhura better. She and Chekhov and Sulu have the LEAST amount of story ... So I enjoyed this ...

Pelia is too cute! And Kirk was AWESOME!
I don't mind knowing Uhura, its just tying everything about her to that shuttle crash reduces her to a single traumatic event. Make her a whole person with numerous interests and experiences.

Just like L'an and that gorn attack, or Una and the Illyrain stuff. Those things happened, but shouldn't be the ONLY things that ever happened to these women.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I don't mind knowing Uhura, its just tying everything about her to that shuttle crash reduces her to a single traumatic event. Make her a whole person with numerous interests and experiences.

Just like L'an and that gorn attack, or Una and the Illyrain stuff. Those things happened, but shouldn't be the ONLY things that ever happened to these women.

I get that. But they'll explore more about them in subsequent episodes and seasons. I'm sure of it.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I'd be lying if seeing the Enterprise fire off like 8 photon torpedos at once at that refinery didn't trigger some Star Fleet Battles knee jerk NOOOO reaction :p

Anyone play Attack Wing? I'm getting the Star Trek itch, first time in like 2 decades, and I wanna scratch it!!!

jason10mm

Gold Member
The crossover ep was fun but shows that some humor is better in animation. Mariner, in particular, has a hyper quality that doesn't translate well.

Why was this dropped now? Is there a big star trek con this weekend?

And I'm of the opinion you should only have 1 "sweeps week" gimmicky ep per season, especially these short ones. An animated ep AND a musical one? Heresy!! :p

Pagusas

Elden Member
The crossover ep was fun but shows that some humor is better in animation. Mariner, in particular, has a hyper quality that doesn't translate well.

Why was this dropped now? Is there a big star trek con this weekend?

And I'm of the opinion you should only have 1 "sweeps week" gimmicky ep per season, especially these short ones. An animated ep AND a musical one? Heresy!! :p
going to watch the cross over episode tonight after getting back from Oppenheimer, as someone who knows NOTHING about Lower decks and has never watched a single episode, I feel I'll be in a good position to judge if the episode comes off as a waste or not.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Musical episode isn't unheard of ... Something that's been done many times before on popular shows.

I liked this Ready Room episode

I'm halfway through season 1. I'm enjoying it but it's going to take me time to get used to some of the characters. So far Pike is my favorite and I like the blind Andorian.

So far my two favorite episodes are the one with the asteroid and the one where they're out running the Gorn.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Ok just got done watching the cross over…. And… that was actually enjoyable! I was fully prepared to hate it passionately, but other than the lower decks charecters being a bit annoying at times, the episode was good! In fact having no knowledge of lower decks I think helped me enjoy it more, as I watched it more from the perspective of the SNW crew.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Catching up on the season after the crossover with episode and I’ve come to realize how much I really like this crew. And Pike is easily top 4 Trek captains.

I just finished season 1. A few things....

They killed off my favorite character. I really did not want to see that happen.

Captain Kirk isn't believable as a young James T Kirk. Chris Pine did a much better job at portraying a young Kirk. They should have just hired him for this. I think what today's technology they could have easily deaged William Shatner but maybe it would cost them too much. People are doing shit like this in their home nowadays though.

So far, not too bad. I really like the aesthetics. I like all the different colors and the attention to detail is fantastic.

I'll start season 2 either today or tomorrow. I heard it's not as good.

Also, the upcoming musical episode looks terrible.

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member
I just finished season 1. A few things....

They killed off my favorite character. I really did not want to see that happen.

Captain Kirk isn't believable as a young James T Kirk. Chris Pine did a much better job at portraying a young Kirk. They should have just hired him for this. I think what today's technology they could have easily deaged William Shatner but maybe it would cost them too much. People are doing shit like this in their home nowadays though.

So far, not too bad. I really like the aesthetics. I like all the different colors and the attention to detail is fantastic.

I'll start season 2 either today or tomorrow. I heard it's not as good.

Also, the upcoming musical episode looks terrible.

This kirk grew on me in season 2, episode "Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow". Sense that episode he's been perfect.

This kirk grew on me in season 2, episode "Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow". Sense that episode he's been perfect.
Well I'm going to watch every episode but so far he's not convincing to me. He doesn't look or sound like William Shatner at all. Say what you want about those recent Star Trek movies but Chris Pine did his best try and play a young Kirk.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I think what today's technology they could have easily deaged William Shatner but maybe it would cost them too much. People are doing shit like this in their home nowadays though.
Seeing what they are doing with Kirk and La'an, the idea of a 90 year old Shat pawing at some fine young thing is amusing.

They don't even need deaging tech, just sweat the lens with Vaseline like they did in TOS :p

But I'm guessing they are planning on another season or two of Pike, then flipping it over to Kirk and basically redoing all of TOS.

ManaByte

Gold Member
But I'm guessing they are planning on another season or two of Pike, then flipping it over to Kirk and basically redoing all of TOS.
Eh I don’t think they’d do that. They have four of the five years of the Kirk five year mission in canon (the animated series is year 4). Maybe they’d do a limited series for Year 5, but they have enough time before Kirk that Pike can go for a while. SNW starts in 2259 around the start of his third Five Year mission. Kirk takes command in 2265 (Pike spent 20 years on the Enterprise, five under April and then 15 as Captain).

jason10mm

Gold Member
Eh I don’t think they’d do that. They have four of the five years of the Kirk five year mission in canon (the animated series is year 4). Maybe they’d do a limited series for Year 5, but they have enough time before Kirk that Pike can go for a while. SNW starts in 2259 around the start of his third Five Year mission. Kirk takes command in 2265 (Pike spent 20 years on the Enterprise, five under April and then 15 as Captain).
You think anyone one running Star Trek now cares about that stuff?

I feel like they are trying to get back to the loosey goosey flavor of TOS and these timeline things are a big impediment to that.

Seeing what they are doing with Kirk and La'an, the idea of a 90 year old Shat pawing at some fine young thing is amusing.

They don't even need deaging tech, just sweat the lens with Vaseline like they did in TOS :p

Eh, I just figured they would pull a Luke Skywalker. The technology is so crazy nowadays that they can do all sorts of stuff like that.

I hope they don't decide to redo the original Star Trek. It would just feel like they were erasing the original series because let's face it, some of it is very problematic in this day and age.

Imagine trying to get away with this nowadays....

I don't know how old Denobulans live, but it would be nice to see an elderly Phlox or T'Pol show up because I'm one of the few people who really loves Enterprise.

Top Bottom