• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds |OT| Seeking Them Out

Well, they teased it as a possible MASSIVE INVASION in s1, then promptly dropped it as even a worry until now. While I appreciate a more episodic show, they could have been laying more groundwork, I think.
I guess they're setting up the Gorn as their Borg or Dominion or Suliban or Xindi.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
At least it isn’t a clip show.

MV5BMTQwODk1MjQ0OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwOTg5NDg0MjE@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg
It would be AWESOME if they did do one of those recycled clip shows, but just with alt takes and obvious recreations, even bloopers.

Back in the day you were guaranteed at least one of those eps per season for damn near every show when they had run out of money :p

ManaByte

Gold Member
Ep 9 was fun! The actress who plays Uhura is the only one I know of who can actually sing because most of the actors didn't seem like it was their real voices except for Spock. The reason for the singing was keeping in line with any "malfunction" Trek has. I liked it. Not the best but it was enjoyable.
It’s their voices with auto-tune distorting them.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Good break down (in the comments) of Spock/Chapel in TOS and how this season puts it in a very different light and explains how Spock went from “smiley Spock” in The Cage to the emotionless Spock in TOS.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
I find it amusing how folks obsess over Spock and his "vulcan-ness" as if there is ANY damned sense to it.

There isn't, what traits are genetic versus cultural is vague at best, what role his human side genes versus maternal influence play into it, all if it is silly and reinvented as needed.

Besides, we know the chapel thing goes nowhere. Personally, I'd rather see the start of the bond between Spock and Kirk, or just more of Spock and Pike. Does Spock just have a thing about his ship captain? Is he a sub? How does Una play into the relationship? She is much too slight a personality to be a second in command IMHO, especially given how hands off Pike seems to be.

ManaByte

Gold Member
There isn't, what traits are genetic versus cultural is vague at best, what role his human side genes versus maternal influence play into it, all if it is silly and reinvented as needed.
It’s not vague at all and only talked about 10,000 times in Star Trek. There’s nothing generic about it at all. Hell even Spock has explained that Vulcan emotions are stronger than humans, but the culture suppresses them. That was a big storyline in Enterprise too.

I have the latest episode ready to watch but I really don't want to.

Singing, FFS.

One finger is going to be on the fast forward button throughout.

Edit:

After 11 mins, nope, fuck that shit. Whoever thought this was a good idea should be taken to the nearest airlock and spaced.
I thought it was highly entertaining. I was in stitches several times. It was so much better than the usual filler episodes on a runaway holodeck, going back to costume drama periods or other recycled episodes we have gotten across various trek seasons.

I'd rather watch Spock sing than Burnham crying any day.

jason10mm

Gold Member
It’s not vague at all and only talked about 10,000 times in Star Trek. There’s nothing generic about it at all. Hell even Spock has explained that Vulcan emotions are stronger than humans, but the culture suppresses them. That was a big storyline in Enterprise too.
It's totally genetic if making Spock "all human" somehow frees him from all his emotional control. It being a "Vulcan Philosophy" that anyone theoretically could learn versus it being a trait unique to Vulcans is absolutely flip flopped all across Star Trek.

jason10mm

Gold Member
All this Star Trek goodness got me to try out the Star Trek Resurgence game. While I see the forced "lesser of two evils" delimmas typical of these TT type games already, I'm enjoying it so far. Funny that a female character gets mad that a male character DIDN'T do the chauvinist thing and let her go first out of danger. Damned nu-trek led me to the wrong decision!!!! :p gotta get my Kirk hat on!

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I loved the last song. Most didn't hit like they should have but "I'm the X" and Klingon K-pop and La'an's song and the finale all hit the right notes for me auditory-ily and emotionally.

Last edited:
All this Star Trek goodness got me to try out the Star Trek Resurgence game. While I see the forced "lesser of two evils" delimmas typical of these TT type games already, I'm enjoying it so far. Funny that a female character gets mad that a male character DIDN'T do the chauvinist thing and let her go first out of danger. Damned nu-trek led me to the wrong decision!!!! :p gotta get my Kirk hat on!
I got to try that game out someday.

I've become such a huge Star Trek fan lately. I even bought Elite Force 1 and 2 about a month ago on GOG.

I hope they eventually get that Deep Space Nine: The Fallen on there as well.

I will have to say that it's sort of a missed opportunity not to have Robert Picardo guest star on the singing episode. He's actually an accomplished and professional singer. You remember the episode of Voyager where he was singing and that alien race wanted him on their planet so he can perform for them? Well that was actually him singing. I think he does a lot of Italian opera.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I will have to say that it's sort of a missed opportunity not to have Robert Picardo guest star on the singing episode. He's actually an accomplished and professional singer. You remember the episode of Voyager where he was singing and that alien race wanted him on their planet so he can perform for them? Well that was actually him singing. I think he does a lot of Italian opera.

His voice is amazing! Christina Chong and Celia Rose Gooding are also talented singers. I loved their numbers.

I guess I'm going to have to make myself watch the musical episode. I was planning on skipping it entirely but I might as well watch it.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
So, the singing ep. Yet ANOTHER super character relationship focused show with "the anomaly" playing a C plot. Should call this Star Trek: Strange New Insecurities for how much it obsessed about "will they wont they" dynamics.

If this was a TOS or TNG ep then I think we would have had a muzltplik type singing leprechaun character represent the anomaly, trying to break down barriers between people through singing and the CAPTAIN could show that humans need oricavy of thought. Or hell, even as it was, maybe Uhura, seeing how often folks hide what they really mean, WANTS this phenomenon to continue because she thinks it would help society. You know, debate a SCI-FI CONCEPT on this "sci-fi" show. Given the neurallink and the possibilities it raises, as well as social media allowing folks to spout off 'anonymously', you'd think this ep would have been a golden opportunity to weigh in.

But clearly the writers aren't interested in sci-fi, its just dressing for more character drama. Hopefully they get this out of their system.

Side note, simultaneously saying it "takes weeks" for messages to cross the federation, yet having James Kirk pop up randomly at the edge of federation space again and again and Pike able to chit chat in real time, makes the universe feel very small. And why was Kirk doing all the engineering on this ep anyway?

Also, about Kirk.
did he know about Carol's pregnancy in Wrath of Kahn? I dont recall if she explained it away somehow or he never knew
Anyway, that was a good wrap up to that relationship, maybe La'an doesn't get fridged after all.

But Hottie McSpaceLawyer, SHE IS TOAST! 100% that "top priority mission" gets her eaten by the Gorn.

I loved the last song. Most didn't hit like they should have but "I'm the X" and Klingon K-pop and La'an's song and the finale all hit the right notes for me auditory-ily and emotionally.
P5HWi4H.png

Anyway, I guess zoomer writers like K-pop so they're doing K-pop? And just ignoring that the Klingons already have some well-established music of their own... and by even the silly logic of the subspace resonator musical generator there would be no reason for them to do something irrelevant to their culture. If they wanted it to make sense, and it's Star Trek, not Space Magic Fantasy Hour, so it should make an effort to make sense.. they could have had the anomaly ingest the computer's musical archives or something... or have something about Klingons salvaging K-pop from a destroyed ship during the war and thinking "holy shit this is amazing" (I'm not endorsing either of these things, just pointing out that it's not that hard to get there within the confines of the actual sci-fi universe we're dealing with)

The Klingons should have been singing in Klingon, subtitled, like warriors, about a glorious quest of destroying the anomaly.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
P5HWi4H.png

Anyway, I guess zoomer writers like K-pop so they're doing K-pop? And just ignoring that the Klingons already have some well-established music of their own... and by even the silly logic of the subspace resonator musical generator there would be no reason for them to do something irrelevant to their culture. If they wanted it to make sense, and it's Star Trek, not Space Magic Fantasy Hour, so it should make an effort to make sense.. they could have had the anomaly ingest the computer's musical archives or something... or have something about Klingons salvaging K-pop from a destroyed ship during the war and thinking "holy shit this is amazing" (I'm not endorsing either of these things, just pointing out that it's not that hard to get there within the confines of the actual sci-fi universe we're dealing with)

The Klingons should have been singing in Klingon, subtitled, like warriors, about a glorious quest of destroying the anomaly.

I'll get back to the meme later... LoL

But did you miss when Uhura sent "the great American songbook" through the subspace fold? It was a specific human musical experience. Not music from the galaxy over.

Although I find it odd that every song was mostly musical inspired and not all different genres... Except for the Kling-Pop ... But maybe different genres for every ship it affected.

I'll get back to the meme later... LoL

But did you miss when Uhura sent "the great American songbook" through the subspace fold? It was a specific human musical experience. Not music from the galaxy over.

Although I find it odd that every song was mostly musical inspired and not all different genres... Except for the Kling-Pop ... But maybe different genres for every ship it affected.
I didn't miss that at all. She didn't send the "Great American Songbook" in its entirety, which by the way doesn't include K-pop. She posited (crap I'm doing Spock-talk now) that "subspace" might be a fan of it, and proceeded to play a few bars of one song, from said songbook, "Anything Goes". The anomaly goes nuts. The song stops playing, and a few seconds later Spock is singing Broadway.

The fact that she sent one and only one song is reinforced in the following scenes when they go full technobabble with all the quantum nonsense, and Spock asks about the exact "frequency" of the song she sent through. I guess I didn't notice if all the songs were in the same key or not (I'm not Riker, I don't have perfect pitch all of a sudden for no reason), but if they were that would have actually been a nice bit of attention to detail.

So the GAS doesn't really explain the genre-swap, and the only logical conclusion is that while suckling at the teet of Mami Bigguns he overheard some showtunes, because apparently she is into showtunes, and then Sarek comes around and smacks his child-bride because he hates showtunes and humans. It doesn't take that much imagination to make it work.

Even better is if in previous episodes, or just at the start of this episode (had a fucking full hour plus of runtime, pretty sure they could have squeezed it in), would be to have Captain Metrosexual hosting movie night on the projector, and have 'em do some musicals to prime the crew to sing in that style.

I made myself watch the musical episode. It was cringe but it could have redeemed itself if the final song they sing was from the Enterprise theme. Completely missed opportunity there.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
I made myself watch the musical episode. It was cringe but it could have redeemed itself if the final song they sing was from the Enterprise theme. Completely missed opportunity there.

Having one of Shatners "spoken word" songs or that Nemoy "Hobbit song" playing in the background was also a huge missed opportunity.

Pagusas

Elden Member

Singing, FFS.

Edit:

After 11 mins, nope, fuck that shit. Whoever thought this was a good idea should be taken to the nearest airlock and spaced.
Turn in your Skippy the magnificent badge, you do not deserve to wear it.

Singing, FFS.

Edit:

I forced myself to watch it. It's not the most terrible thing but it's very cringey.

I think the whole thing could have redeemed itself, if for the final song the cast would have sang the Enterprise theme.

I would have actually clapped at that. It would have BROKE NEW GROUND!

New episode will be released in just a couple of hours or so. It looks like it'll be the last episode of the season and will be about the Gorn.

Top Bottom