• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Episode VI: Return of 720p, the Digital Foundry PS5 analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkMe2525

Yeah, the last AAA game I recall running at 640p was MGS4 in 2008. XBox games had been 720p since Gears came out but PS3 games struggled for a bit until the end of 2007. Uncharted and Ratchet were 720p but Ass Creed and other 3rd party games were still sub 720p. But once devs got used to the cell, it was all good. Those 2009 games like Batman Arkham Knight, AC2, and well every sony first party game were all 720p.

This game actually has tearing on PS5. Could be the first game to have tearing on the PS5.
Not that it matters, but IIRC Halo 3 was sub 720p in 2007 as well.

Edit: It was 1152x640

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Exactly my point, and you made a very good example too. I compete agree that this game is generally doing all this poorly,I just expect more objectivity... eg, we have a lot of really good-looking stuff on these consoles already, one would think that if a game is flooring the hardware, then it must be in contention for best looking game of the year.... this game doesn't even look as good as HFW/Ratchet or even Dead space from your example.

But yes, my real issue here is that when talking about PC reconstruction, the focus is only on the output rez not the input, but you can see people quick to jump on the input rez when looking at consoles... that shit is just flat out disingenuous to me.
Oh, please, that's flat-out bullshit. Nobody on PC will use a base resolution of 864p because no reconstruction method would save it from looking like shit. The internal resolution in this case is getting laughed at not only because it is pitifully low for the visuals on display, but also because it looks like trash when reconstructed using FSR which on PC we don't recommend using at anything below 4K/Quality mode. You go lower than that, and the shortcomings become glaring. 1440p FSR balanced would be ridiculed on PC too. At that point, simply stick to a lower resolution to avoid those awful FSR artifacts. If this was 4K with a 1440p base, no one would rag on the resolution. Hell, even if it was 1080p but still looked decent, it would get a pass from almost everyone. This is sub 720p and looks like crap. You don't see that on PC because anyone would rather use 1080p and drop settings.

Last edited:

XesqueVara

I am really beginning to lose hope or question the sense of most of these devs.

This game is just poorly optimized and tired with bad choices.

Cleary, the smart thing to have done was to keep in the RT for the quality mode and take it out for the performance mode.

But what I fin really disturbing, is that don't these devs know the state their games are in before pushing them out?
They shouldn't bother with RT on these boxes honestly, It's too much consuming on a already limited hardware.

Mr.Phoenix

Oh, please, that's flat-out bullshit. Nobody on PC will use a base resolution of 864p because no reconstruction method would save it from looking like shit. The internal resolution in this case is getting laughed at not only because it is pitifully low for the visuals on display, but also because it looks like trash when reconstructed using FSR which on PC we don't recommend using at anything below 4K/Quality mode. You go lower than that, and the shortcomings become glaring. 1440p FSR balanced would be ridiculed on PC too. At that point, simply stick to a lower resolution to avoid those awful FSR artifacts. If this was 4K with a 1440p base, no one would rag on the resolution. Hell, even if it was 1080p but still looked decent, it would get a pass from almost everyone. This is sub 720p and looks like crap. You don't see that on PC because anyone would rather use 1080p and drop settings.
One of us is BS`ing here. It's not me though.

I have never seen 1440p FSR2 be ridiculed PC. 1080p yes...but not 1440p.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Actually, I played Control at 960p internal resolution at 1440p DLSS. This is back when they only had one internal resolution. Then with DLSS2 they had another internal resolution of 860p which I believe would be DLSS balanced equivalent. This was on the rtx 2080 and it looked pretty decent on a 4k tv. Though control is a very different style of game and it has a slightly soft look even in native 4k.

More recently, most of us 30 series owners had to settle for 1440p dlss balanced which is 860p to get 40+ fps without the image looking like complete trash. Im not saying FSR2 is the same as DLSS but I disagree with the suggestion that pc gamers dont use DLSS balanced 860p on 1440p.

Mr.Phoenix

They shouldn't bother with RT on these boxes honestly, It's too much consuming on a already limited hardware.
From what I can see here, all they should have done is just turn off RT in performance mode. That alone would likely have solved 90% of the issues they had in that mode.

The Matrix Awakens tech demo runs at a higher resolution

Let that sink in for a bit
looks better and has RT too.

Last edited:

Gaiff

One of us is BS`ing here. It's not me though.

I have never seen 1440p FSR2 be ridiculed PC. 1080p yes...but not 1440p.
One of us can't read, and it's you.

The article states this: AMD definitely improved that with FSR 2.0 but it’s still not quite there yet for 1080P.
Actually, I played Control at 960p internal resolution at 1440p DLSS. This is back when they only had one internal resolution. Then with DLSS2 they had another internal resolution of 860p which I believe would be DLSS balanced equivalent. This was on the rtx 2080 and it looked pretty decent on a 4k tv. Though control is a very different style of game and it has a slightly soft look even in native 4k.

More recently, most of us 30 series owners had to settle for 1440p dlss balanced which is 860p to get 40+ fps without the image looking like complete trash. Im not saying FSR2 is the same as DLSS but I disagree with the suggestion that pc gamers dont use DLSS balanced 860p on 1440p.
FSR Balanced at 1440p looks like shit. Even Tim from Hardware Unboxed's recent review doesn't recommend FSR performance which reconstructs from a 1080p base resolution. FSR 4K balanced is alright. 1440p balanced looks like ass. Hell, I don't even use DLSS balanced. Anything below quality is a no-go for me. And if DF count is to be believed, the base resolution vacillates somewhere between balanced and performance 1440p FSR. That's awful.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

One of us can't read, and it's you.

The article states this: AMD definitely improved that with FSR 2.0 but it’s still not quite there yet for 1080P.

FSR Balanced at 1440p looks like shit. Even Tim from Hardware Unboxed's recent review doesn't recommend FSR performance which reconstructs from a 1080p base resolution. FSR 4K balanced is alright. 1440p balanced looks like ass. Hell, I don't even use DLSS balanced. Anything below quality is a no-go for me.
You a moron or something? Or are you one of these types that can`t have a simple conversation without being unnecessarily aggressive?

And this game is not doing 1080P!!!! In performance mode, its output target is 1440p, which means it would be running at lower rez natively. The article clearly states FSR is only recommended for 1440p/4K rez targets but not 1080p. This game is not targeting a 1080p output rez. I am not even gonna get into this with you further, because you are misquoting what was actually said in the article while attempting a lame gotcha lol.

And there you go again with the stupid hyperbole. Anyway, I am done with this thing with you. I made my point, we can agree to disagree.

Last edited:

DonJorginho

Banned
Uh, I didn't write that post you quoted, buddy.

How would you feel if I accused you of saying something you never said? Here, let's try that out right now:

Doesn't matter if it was Nietzsche on a bad day, it's yours now, you loathsome misogynist. :messenger_sunglasses:
Look just two posts down from yours and you'll find the quote, it's a hard task I know.

Don't have any idea why the site did that, seeing as I didn't even notice your post and definitely didn't quote it. I didn't even know you could make a post look like it's from someone else so I apologize for that, even if it's the site's fault and not my own.

Maybe you can return the favour and take down your *intentional* slander of me, many thanks buddy 🍻

Last edited:

Gaiff

You a moron or something? Or are you one of these types that can`t have a simple conversation without being unnecessarily aggressive?

And this game is not doing 100P!!!! In performance mode, its output target is 1440p, which means it would be running at lower rez natively. The article clearly states FSR is only recommended for 1440p/4K rez targets but not 1080p. This game is not targeting a 1080p output rez. I am not even gonna get into this with you further, because you are misquoting what was actually said in the article while attempting a lame gotcha lol.

And there you go again with the stupid hyperbole.
Oh, fuck off. You started by going "one of us is bs'ing", then I threw it back in your face and then you went with the name-calling.

Do you even know how FSR works? Here, I'll help you since you're utterly ignorant. The article linked uses QUALITY mode which at a 1080p output resolution uses a base of 1280x720, higher than the lower bound of 1152x648 that the game is using. They don't recommend it. The upper bound of Fallen Order on PS5 is 864p, which is a whopping 20% higher than the 720p base of FSR 2.0 at 1080p which again, the article DOES NOT recommend.

Get it now? Your article doesn't prove what you think it does, in fact, it does the exact opposite. People are ragging on the low-ass internal resolution because it's simply too low to be serviceable and as shown by simply looking at the image in motion, it falls apart. You're trying to paint this as a double standard from PC gamers when it isn't the case and then went on to beautifully own yourself by quoting an article that says FSR 2.0 with a base 720p resolution sucks and hint, using a 1440p output while the base resolution is 648-864p won't save you.

Last edited:

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
LOL! Wow man.
Morgan Freeman Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Reallink

The reality that "next-gen" consoles are barely 2x improvements over their 7 year old "Pro" predecessors seems to be hitting people hard. There is and never was a reality where they were going to run exclusive games at high resolutions and high frame rates. Hell, they can't even manage 1 or the other. Underpowered from day 0.

Last edited:

HighPoly

Banned
How foward this gen will go graphically, more we'll need to drop resolution... And this is gonna happen in the next Spider Man 2. Probably a kind of dynamic resolution in Resolution MODE with Ray Tracing... We are lucky because Spider Man is a first party franchise... All those third parties and indies franchises will be tottally sloppy with their games...

Sleepwalker

While I agree that this game falls short of the mark, I feel the OP and the general tone of this thread is misleading.

Eg. saying the game is running at 720p... is very misleading. Why is it ok to call FSR/Dlss on PC, 4K quality/4K performance or 1440p quality/performance and ignore the base native resolutions the games have to run at those presets? But when it's done on a console we attempt to sensationalize things and talk about those base resolutions as if they aren't doing the same reconstruction that is being headed everywhere else.
The problem here is that FSR 2 sucks dick. If consoles could implement dlss no one would care.

DaGwaphics

When people were going on about Redfall and 30fps, I said I'd take some 30fps games down the road that really maxed the consoles out. I'd like to see more of a difference between last-gen and current-gen when it happens, however. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Is there some parts that really wow you in this?

They'll surely have it ironed out as best they can by the time it hits EAplay anyway.

Justin9mm

Respawn really shat the bed on this one and they refused to admit it. This is new levels of low. They should be ashamed to release this as it was. No wonder it's next gen only. This really comes down to incompetence and most likely poor management of the development.

Mr.Phoenix

Oh, fuck off. You started by going "one of us is bs'ing", then I threw it back in your face and then you went with the name-calling.

Do you even know how FSR works? Here, I'll help you since you're utterly ignorant. The article linked uses QUALITY mode which at a 1080p output resolution uses a base of 1280x720, higher than the lower bound of 1152x648 that the game is using. They don't recommend it. The upper bound of Fallen Order on PS5 is 864p, which is a whopping 20% higher than the 720p base of FSR 2.0 at 1080p which again, the article DOES NOT recommend.

Get it now? Your article doesn't prove what you think it does, in fact, it does the exact opposite. People are ragging on the low-ass internal resolution because it's simply too low to be serviceable and as shown by simply looking at the image in motion, it falls apart. You're trying to paint this as a double standard from PC gamers when it isn't the case and then went on to beautifully own yourself by quoting an article that says FSR 2.0 with a base 720p resolution sucks and hint, using a 1440p output while the base resolution is 648-864p won't save you.
last I checked..you were the first person to actually say bullshit first... I say it back to you and you get riled up... And I know this shit more than you and can't even be bothered to tell why that is... you aren't worth it.

The problem here is that FSR 2 sucks dick. If consoles could implement dlss no one would care.
Completely agree with this. I even said as much.

The reality that "next-gen" consoles are barely 2x improvements over their 7 year old "Pro" predecessors seems to be hitting people hard. There is and never was a reality where they were going to run exclusive games at high resolutions and high frame rates. Hell, they can't even manage 1 or the other. Underpowered from day 0.
If you think that we have seen an inkling of what these consoles can actually do.. or that games like this from these devs are an indication of the hardware limits, or that you also believe that this game runs on PCs the way it does because its pushing the envelope..... then you are info some surprises.

But you need to ask yourself this, does this game even look better than HFW? And that shit is cross-gen.

Last edited:

Gaiff

last I checked..you were the first person to actually say bullshit first... I say it back to you and you get riled up... And I know this shit more than you and can't even be bothered to tell why that is... you aren't worth it.
Dude, you're plain wrong. Take the L. You tried to spin it into a double standard and proved the opposite. 1080p FSR Quality with a 720p base resolution is garbo. 648-864p with a 1440p output is just as bad and even some cases, worse. Ain't no double standards here. FSR needs something to work with and sub 900p resolutions are simply too low. No one on PC thinks any reconstruction with a base of 864p looks good.

rnlval

These consoles can barely achieve true 4k in most cases with an acceptable framerate and then tries to force its RT in the "quality modes". Isn't there some option to play in "quality" mode without RT?
PS5 and XSX RDNA 2 cores are missing hardware accelerated RT transverse process, but they have higher VRAM allocation.

vs

Fully enabled GA104 RTX 3070 Ti has hardware accelerated RT transverse process, but 8 GB VRAM is a problem. Fully enabled GA104 RTX A4000 16GB VRAM was the ideal config when PS5 was released.

RX 7700 XT 12 GB would be the fixed RDNA 3 GPU for PS5 / XSX's RX 6700 XT level GPU i.e. added hardware accelerated RT transverse process and AI matrix cores.

fatmarco

I had a weird issue with the game where i was getting sub 20 drops in a specific area on Quality Mode, but then restarting the game resolved the issue.

Last edited:

rnlval

It's relative.

The consoles are cheap and have limited RT capabilities (the game crashing is bad though, DF said they experienced one crash, hopefully it was just an anomaly).

A $2000 GPU struggling between 30-60fps is dogshit. In the very least they should have delayed PC version.
Get a high thread count CPU.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Everyone laughing at consoles need to get to the third planet. The desert one. It dropped to 20 fps for me. Im already playing at 40 fps locked because getting a locked 50 or 60 fps is impossible in this game, but it was insane to see 20 fps. Ive seen 20 fps stutters in TLOU and Hogwarts, but this was a sustained 20 fps drop because of what was going on the screen. Which wasnt much. Just some enemy on sand in a wide linear area, but the GPU utilization was 99% so clearly it was GPU bound there. Had to drop to 1440p FSR quality to get back up to 40 fps.

Insane stuff. I honestly have no idea whats going on with this game.

Sleepwalker

Everyone laughing at consoles need to get to the third planet. The desert one. It dropped to 20 fps for me. Im already playing at 40 fps locked because getting a locked 50 or 60 fps is impossible in this game, but it was insane to see 20 fps. Ive seen 20 fps stutters in TLOU and Hogwarts, but this was a sustained 20 fps drop because of what was going on the screen. Which wasnt much. Just some enemy on sand in a wide linear area, but the GPU utilization was 99% so clearly it was GPU bound there. Had to drop to 1440p FSR quality to get back up to 40 fps.

Insane stuff. I honestly have no idea whats going on with this game.
EA is using our gpus to secretly mine crypto.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Bring back crunch. Cancel work from home. This is the way.
It doesn’t even have to be technical jobs.

Since WFH happened at my place for two years straight and hybrid mode for one year, there’s tons of shit falling through the cracks.

Tons of people are confused at selling and pricing strategies because everyone sends giant emails and nobody on earth is going to read them all. Someone will say, “we’ll just do big conference calls”. Ya that happens too and half the people probably don’t pay attention as they are doing other shit logged into the call.

Before COVID when everyone was called into 40-50 people strategy meetings everyone shows up and has no choice but to sit through it. And unless someone is dozing off at the back of the room you’ll likely learn something by default as various people talk and show slides. and the marketing team passes around samples. And if still weren’t sure you just walk up to the marketing person and chat with him in his office to settle any confusion.

With Teams meetings and emails telling people stuff, you got no clue if people are learning it or executing what they are supposed to do.

Last edited:

TheTony316

This is fucked up. There's nothing about this game that would justify such a low resolution. If it looked like the Matrix or that UE5 tech demo from 2020, sure. But this? Nah.

Can anyone name a worse performance mode on current gen?

I take back everything I said about the day 1 Horizon: FW performance mode if this is what we have in store for us in the future. I will accept all the shimmering in the world for an otherwise clean image and stable frame rate. Forgive me GG for I have sinned.

So to summarize we have:

-Blurry as hell image? Check.

Just toggle from quality to performance and be amazed as those 140gb of textures transform into a blurry mess before your very eyes. This is real jedi magic and not some cheap parlour trick.

Ok FSR helps a bit but in exchange you get the worst ghosting, aliasing and shimmering I've seen on current gen. The worst deal in the history of deals? I called the IQ disgusting in the OT which I think is fair.

-Horrible performance? Check.

I said it was dropping to the 30s before any of the performance analysis and this confirms it. Performance so shakey Michael J Fox would be in awe.

I could maybe accept the horrible IQ if it was at least stable in the 55-60fps range but to drop to 35fps at 648p is wild.

It was obvious without pixel counting and frame rate charts that this was a mess yet so many people were calling it buttery smooth on Twitter or Reddit. I honestly wish I was so ignorant as I'd spend less time complaining about stuff but like Thanos I'm cursed with knowledge.

Some may call my whining pedantry but me I call it treasure.

GymWolf

All true, but the same machine run demons remake, rift apart and hfw that all looks and run much better.

Console are weak, some devs are even weaker.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
All true, but the same machine run demons remake, rift apart and hfw that all looks and run much better.

Console are weak, some devs are even weaker.
yjrRdOt.jpg

Would make sense… it is possible for this game to replace lots of artists intensive hacks with real time solutions which are accurate enough but very expensive. The game does not look bad in quality mode but still, I would need to play it to have a good opinion… bit scared to clean the fridge to make space for it and then be disappointed :D.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom