• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Episode VIII Production Thread (Principal Photography Complete)

the first 30 minutes of TFA before all the old people showed up >> the parts where the old people showed up

I disagree somewhat. Han in the millennium falcon was awesome! His "it's true, all of it" speech had impact even though I saw it a million times in the trailer.

Leia was useless and Luke, well, can't beat getting paid millions for a 5 min job.

Yeah, the completion of Han's arc is the best thing to happen in the series so far IMO. ROTJ sure as shit didn't give him much to do, so count me out of the opinion that the movie gets "worse" when the "old people" come back. The Han/Kylo scene is the best scene in the series from an acting/cinematography standpoint and it wouldn't make any sense to not bring the three major characters back and finish their arcs in a more satisfying way than what ROTJ attempted. Not to mention the movie still very much focused on the new characters.

Luke was in a fine place, arc-wise at the end of VI, but Han and Leia I felt didn't really get much. TFA rectified that for Han, and it's looking to do that for Leia.

AntChum

The real question is, why had nobody pushed 3PO down a flight of stairs in 30 years? Or at least reprogrammed his voice or something.
Why do you think he had a red arm? BB-8 has already tried; the surprise post-credits scene for Episode 8 is going to be him finishing the job.

The Daily Mail (bleh) have got a ton of Anch-To set pics from Pinewood. Nothing spoilery, just the Falcon and the Jedi Steps. It's a pretty impressive set. It looks like their might be some kind of cave as well, perhaps another vision incoming for Rey? That old tree's pretty creepy looking.

There's another set above it. Looks like some kind of hangar perhaps.

Now we know where Luke planted his tree.

luke-shattered-empire-tree1.png

Haha.

XAL

The conclusion they draw lends a bit more credence to the idea a lot of TFA deleted scenes were intentionally held back for story reasons. Wonder if the artbook and the deleted scenes we already got will be the only details we'll get until after the trilogy. And if there is a good bit of dropped/shelved/moved story material they don't want us seeing yet, I wonder if there's an even crazier collection of TFA artwork we won't see until years from now.

Or there were a bunch of story changes at the last minute and more problems than they want to admit to this early into this new trilogy.

TM94

I felt it all got a bit clunky when they went to see Maz and Rey ran away from the lightsaber.

Meh.

Hopefully Leia dies in the next movie.

The middle section there is probably the weakest, yeah, but when they separate again it picks up, Rey v Kylo especially.

I can see this, but if it takes a dive, it's pretty minor, and for me pulls up very fast. I felt like there maybe needed to be more stuff around the Resistance, more exposition or something, but that's usually targeted for being "boring." It felt like maybe something was missing or that there could have been more scenes around the middle, but I also appreciate that it keeps moving onto important stuff.

d1rtn4p

Yeah the movie took a hard dive for me as soon as Rey and Finn get captured by Solo.

Agree. Up until that point it was amazing. After that, it felt more like a star trek movie for some reason. Fast paced and sloppy for some reason. I also just can't stand the idea of another death star. So bad.

TheXbox

Don't blame Han and Chewie for TFA's story problems. Harrison Ford's performance is a bright spot. It's a joy to see him take on the character again with genuine enthusiasm, and to see his arc resolved so poignantly. They did right by him.

The issue is with pacing, continuity, and Starkiller Base. "We need a cantina scene!" JJ exclaimed. No you fucking don't. "We need a Death Star!" Nuh uh. Nobody in this movie even cares about your lame ass ANH side plot. I blame Kathleen Kennedy for that one, though.

jelly

Set designers, makers are amazing. That must be one tough but rewarding job.

TFA took a dive because the freighter scene was straight up garbage, that Scottish accent made it about ten times worse, the monsters were so bad and the leap to Maz was like driving round the corner in 30 seconds.

There's no one point where I could say it went downhill and my enjoyment decreased. I'm not a big fan of the Rathtar scene bar Han's dialogue and another planet destroying base is a tired concept, but they didn't stick out to me that much. I also liked Maz a lot. Glad she's returning in VIII.

Surfinn

There's no one point where I could say it went downhill and my enjoyment decreased. I'm not a big fan of the Rathtar scene bar Han's dialogue and another planet destroying base is a tired concept, but they didn't stick out to me that much. I also liked Maz a lot. Glad she's returning in VIII.
Man did it become cool to hate TFA in the post few months, my god. Lots of hyperbole in this thread. The CGI could have been better for the Rathtars, but I found the scene really enjoyable. NeoGAF sure is a drag sometimes.

Anyway, those sets look fantastic. Glad we're continuing where we left off. So excited.

sphagnum

Banned
Did anyone ever notice that there seems to be a castle-looking structure in the background of the rain vision?

yPao2vq.jpg

I remember that the shot list leaked by MillenniumFalcon.com (which differed from the one put up by MSW) mentioned a palace of some sort...

EXT DAY - 192 - SAVANNAH • Reprise Hand takes sword, we reveal Naka

EXT NIGHT - 193 - SAVANNAH - PEASANT'S HOVEL • Peasant is using the sword as a firestarter

EXT DAY - 194 - SAVANNAH - PEASANT'S HOVEL • Local trader buys sword off of Naka

EXT NIGHT - 195 - SAVANNAH • Local trader already has sold the sword on

EXT NIGHT - 196 - BATTLEFIELD • A battle rages. The sword is being used.

EXT DAY - 198 - ACADEMY • Leia and Han Solo hand over Young Kylo Ren to his Uncle for training

EXT DAWN - 200 - ACADEMY • Young Kylo Ren being trained by his Uncle

INT NIGHT - 202 - ACADEMY • Bodies left behind - Young Kylo Ren is gone

EXT DAY - 203 - JAGGED TERRAIN/PALACE • Kylo Ren joins The Knights Of Ren

EXT DUSK - 204 - ACADEMY • R2-D2 upset as his master leaves

EXT NIGHT - 205 - JAGGED TERRAIN/PALACE • Kylo Ren joins The Knights Of Ren

EXT DAY - 207 - CASTLE • Reveal Maz Kanata's spectacular Castle

INT DAY - 208 - CASTLE • Maz Kanata walks the group through the Castle interiour

EXT NIGHT - 209 - CASTLE • Kylo Ren and his Knights at campfire. Maz Kanata steals sword

INT DAY - 210 - CASTLE STAIRCASE • Walking down stairs, Maz Kanata reveals she stole it.

EXT NIGHT - 211 - MOUNTAIN SIDE • Reveal Maz Kanata on Speeder, she has the sword

INT DAY - 212 - CASTLE - UNDERGROUND CHAMBER • Finn is drawn toward the object, Rey repelled by it. She bolts

Wonder if this will come into play or if it's more or less been excised like the rest of the vision.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I'm going to pretend this is somehow related to VIII cus I wanted to talk about how insane Carrie Fisher is on Twitter.

She posts this

Unyuvql.png

then an hour later she posts the same exact picture with slightly altered colors.

0eD80EB.png

I'm starting to believe Carrie is one of Dril's personas because everything she posts is fucking weird.

I like to think part of Rian Johnson rewrite was
"and in the opening ten minutes, Carrie Fisher's ship is attacked and she's in a coma for the entire movie and we never see her again"

liquidtmd

Banned
I'm going to pretend this is somehow related to VIII cus I wanted to talk about how insane Carrie Fisher is on Twitter.

She posts this

Unyuvql.png

then an hour later she posts the same exact picture with slightly altered colors.

0eD80EB.png

I'm starting to believe Carrie is one of Dril's personas because everything she posts is fucking weird.

Carrie takes her coke memes seriously

Top Bottom