• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Episode VIII Production Thread (Principal Photography Complete)

Surfinn

This is really TFA related, but that thread's pretty much dead so I'm posting it here. Mark Hamill confirmed that the much rumored "hand floating through space" scene really was the original opening for TFA:

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/sta...ll-reveals-the-force-awakens-original-opening

Is there any confirmation on why there is a hand floating through space (where it came from)?

Thought that Hamill quote was cool too. Definitely sounds like it was Maz taking it away.

GhaleonEB

Another important detail:

This opening was changed before filming began, so we'll probably never know whether it would have looked more convincing on screen than it sounds on paper. It's worth noting, meanwhile, that the finished cut of The Force Awakens still leaves an air of mystery surrounding Luke's lightsaber. How did Maz Kanata get hold of it? That's a question we hope to have answered in next year's Episode VIII.

There were some in the TFA threads trying to paint it as a troubled production with mid-filming major plot revisions, including this one. But they decided against it before production began.

Sephzilla

I honestly like that they didn't explain how Maz got the lightsaber. It didn't need to be explained, all that matters was that it got from Bespin to Maz. Shit like Luke's hand floating through space still holding the lightsaber is dumb because then the audience wonders how it got from Bespin into fucking space and how it managed to travel a significant distance at seemingly sub-light speed.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Is there any confirmation on why there is a hand floating through space (where it came from)?

Thought that Hamill quote was cool too. Definitely sounds like it was Maz taking it away.
Luke Skywalkers hand from Empire Strikes Back, cut of on Bespin and holding the Lightsaber

GhaleonEB

Yeah, I got that much..

But where did it come from and why is is it floating through space?

It sounds like a cool image they came up with, conceptually handing off (harhar) the story from one generation to the next, but one that also makes no fucking sense, so they dropped it early.

Surfinn

To those saying "but we don't need to know how Maz got it"..Maz all but confirms with the audience that there is significance to how she acquired it and that we will hear about it in the next two films. Given the context, I'd say we definitely need to know how this happened.

It sounds like a cool image they came up with, conceptually handing off (harhar) the story from one generation to the next, but one that also makes no fucking sense, so they dropped it early.

Man, that's some prequel tier decision making right there. Glad to hear it was cut and I'd rather pretend like it never existed.

Sephzilla

Do we really need to know how maz aquired the saber?

No, we really don't. I don't really get why some people seem so keen on knowing its journey or get bent out of shape that Maz hand waved it away with the "story for another time" bit.

To those saying "but we don't need to know how Maz got it".. Maz all but confirms with the audience that there is significance to how she acquired it and that we will hear about it in the next two films. Given the context, I'd say we definitely need to know how this happened.

"That's a story for another time" kind of implies otherwise though. Because if the story of how she got the lightsaber was important she wouldn't have passed it off as a conversation to have later. She basically pulled the Sienfeld "yadda yadda"

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
No, we really don't. I don't really get why some people seem so keen on knowing its journey or get bent out of shape that Maz hand waved it away with the "story for another time" bit.

I mean, it really could be just as simple as

1. Bespin Janitor finds it
2. Keeps it
3. Puts it on Space eBay years later
4. Maz finds it, recognizes it, and buys it

Surfinn

Her line was clearly included because they're going to explain it in the future, suggesting there's significance to the story.

So I think we probably need to know what happened, otherwise it wouldn't have been said.

"That's a story for another time" kind of implies otherwise though. Because if the story of how she got the lightsaber was important she wouldn't have passed it off as a conversation to have later. She basically pulled the Sienfeld "yadda yadda"

Not at all. I got the impression, given the context, there is a story that fits into the overarching plot.

GhaleonEB

To those saying "but we don't need to know how Maz got it"..Maz all but confirms with the audience that there is significance to how she acquired it and that we will hear about it in the next two films. Given the context, I'd say we definitely need to know how this happened.
My theory is that story was given in the scene we see in the second TFA trailer, where Maz hands the saber to Leia. I can see her offering up an explanation at that point. The scene was conspicuously missing from the deleted scenes on the BR, so it makes sense that it might be a story beat saved for a later film. (Probably Ep. VIII.)

I know a few others here have mentioned this as well, might even have been you. :lol

Sephzilla

Not at all. I got the impression, given the context, there is a story that fits into the overarching plot.

I dunno... if someone found my car keys, I asked where they found them, and they responded with "I'll tell you later" I'd get a distinct impression that it wasn't that important

Surfinn

My theory is that story was given in the scene we see in the second TFA trailer, where Maz hands the saber to Leia. I can see her offering up an explanation at that point. The scene was conspicuously missing from the deleted scenes on the BR, so it makes sense that it might be a story beat saved for a later film. (Probably Ep. VIII.)

I know a few others here have mentioned this as well, might even have been you. :lol

Right. And that scene was cut for a reason -- which most likely means they're saving it for EP8, like you said.

I'm surprised so many people thought Maz's line was throwaway. I thought it was very clearly included as an allusion to another reveal that fits into the grand scheme of the trilogy's story.

I dunno... if someone found my car keys, I asked where they found them, and they responded with "I'll tell you later" I'd get a distinct impression that it wasn't that important

Except that's not what happened on screen. "That is a good question, for another time".

That really doesn't sound significant to you? And unless you found your friend's ancient light sword, the analogy doesn't hold up.

There was a series of flashbacks-via-group vision that were supposed to explain the journey of the saber that got distilled down into Rey's Vision.

Basically, the movie would have actually begun in flashback, before jumping to current time, before the vision showed us that how the movie opened was part of the flashback, we just didn't know it yet.

It was a longer-way-round to where we got in the film, but it also would have necessitated going more in-depth into Ben's betrayal at the temple, and Luke's abandoning the galaxy in response.

Surfinn

There was a series of flashbacks-via-group vision that were supposed to explain the journey of the saber that got distilled down into Rey's Vision.

Basically, the movie would have actually begun in flashback, before jumping to current time, before the vision showed us that how the movie opened was part of the flashback, we just didn't know it yet.

It was a longer-way-round to where we got in the film, but it also would have necessitated going more in-depth into Ben's betrayal at the temple, and Luke's abandoning the galaxy in response.

I think it looks a lot less silly without the hand. Saber floating through space would have been sufficient, imo.

That does sound like an interesting idea though (beginning with a flashback).

Sephzilla

Except that's not what happened on screen. "That is a good question, for another time".

That really doesn't sound significant to you?

No, because if it was significant she wouldn't have

A) Waited for another time to tell it
B) Waited so long to even show Han, Luke's brother in law, the lightsaber.

Yeah, I always figured the opening would have worked as just the saber, if you shot the saber coming overhead in extreme close-up, so it's just this weird silvery thing taking up 2/3rds of the screen that only becomes recognizable as a saber once the camera's pulled back enough.

Basically: It's what Abrams did with the Kelvin in the opening of Star Trek.

Surfinn

No, because if it was significant she wouldn't have

A) Waited for another time to tell it
B) Waited so long to even show Han, Luke's brother in law, the lightsaber.

The only reason why it was out in the open in the first place is because it literally called to Rey, who then took it out of its locked away location, forcing the conversation between Maz and Han.

You're really going to sit down and tell a story while your home is being destroyed by the FO?

I think they'll have enough story to worry about without showing how Maz ended up with Luke's old lightsaber. I have a feeling it'll be a 3PO and his red arm scenario.

Sephzilla

The only reason why it was out in the open in the first place is because it literally called to Rey, who then took it out of its locked away location, forcing the conversation between Maz and Han.

You're implying that Maz would have never given the lightsaber to Han if Rey didn't find it. That, in my opinion, diminishes the backstory of how she got the lightsaber because if there was some big backstory behind it I don't think she would have forgotten about the lightsaber the moment Han "General of the Rebellion Brother in Law to Luke Skywalker" Solo walked into her place.

You're really going to sit down and tell a story while your home is being destroyed by the FO?

I dunno, Han thought it was a good enough time to ask.

Surfinn

I think they'll have enough story to worry about without showing how Maz ended up with Luke's old lightsaber. I have a feeling it'll be a 3PO and his red arm scenario.

The scene with Maz already set the precedent for it's importance (her story on how she found it); it's nothing like the red arm scenario because the saber is integral to the trilogy. Like JJ said, everything included in the 2:15 is pretty much essential, and they spend almost no time on filler dialogue. No way we don't learn about how Maz got the saber and how it ties into the main plot. Thought it was clear that conversation was included purposefully.

I think he asked more out of surprise and shock than anything else since it had been 30+ years since he'd seen it.

Originally, Rey didn't go downstairs and have the vision by herself. I believe that table conversation was where Maz had everyone involved in a group vision. At which point we learn how the saber got to be in Maz's possession, which included watching young Ben betray everyone at Luke's temple, which would have shaken Han considerably (and revealed his parentage of Kylo Ren to everyone else) and prompted Rey's bailing out.

I believe it would have also changed Finn's character right then and there, as he decides to take the saber when Rey won't, as part of his denial of the First Order. Like, that's the moment he decides to say "fuck Kylo Ren."

When they decided not to go with that, shit got rearranged quite a bit, with only the most important details/tidbits repurposed/reassigned to different story beats.

How Maz got the lightsaber really isn't an important detail. I think the people who need to know are the same people who think we need a Black Widow/Hawkeye prequel movie telling us what happened in Budapest.

-griffy-

Banned
Yeah, I always figured the opening would have worked as just the saber, if you shot the saber coming overhead in extreme close-up, so it's just this weird silvery thing taking up 2/3rds of the screen that only becomes recognizable as a saber once the camera's pulled back enough.

Basically: It's what Abrams did with the Kelvin in the opening of Star Trek.

Hey, Video Copilot just put out a free 3D pack including a bunch of Star Wars models (since Andrew Kramer worked on Force Awakens). Including this specific light saber. And I already have a template for an opening crawl with a star field made for that Rogue One crawl...I might just be tempted to make this alternate opening shot.

Also, the thing is, since this was cut from Force Awakens and shit was re-arranged, and a bunch of the flashbacks/backstory were just omitted, there's no reason some (heavily altered) version of this can't still happen in VIII or IX.

The scene with Maz already set the precedent for it's importance (her story on how she found it); it's nothing like the red arm scenario because the saber is integral to the trilogy. Like JJ said, everything included in the 2:15 is pretty much essential, and they spend almost no time on filler dialogue. No way we don't learn about how Maz got the saber and how it ties into the main plot. Thought it was clear that conversation was included purposefully.

The Falcon's an integral part of the trilogy too. It's ownership over the years got brushed aside in a few sentences. I don't think Maz's retrieval of the lightsaber will tie into the main plot. It's journey from now certainly will.

Guess we'll find out next year.

Surfinn

The Falcon's an integral part of the trilogy too. It's ownership over the years got brushed aside in a few sentences. I don't think Maz's retrieval of the lightsaber will tie into the main plot. It's journey from now certainly will.

I was about to say the exact same thing - the origin story of the Millenium Falcon and how Han Solo got it was handled in two throwaway lines in Empire. Why? Because it's not important.

The Falcon was necessary in order to help our heros advance in the story, definitely, but the significance of the saber is on an entirely different mythological and metaphorical level. Apples and oranges.

You're implying that Maz would have never given the lightsaber to Han if Rey didn't find it. That, in my opinion, diminishes the backstory of how she got the lightsaber because if there was some big backstory behind it I don't think she would have forgotten about the lightsaber the moment Han "General of the Rebellion Brother in Law to Luke Skywalker" Solo walked into her place.

The awakening set these events in motion, along with Rey finding the saber. Because Maz recognizes that the saber is "calling to" Rey, she realizes that Rey must have the saber, so she gives it to Finn in order to give back to her.

If Rey wouldn't have been there, Maz would have had no reason to whip the thing out at all (she didn't do this, Rey found it herself).

Sephzilla

The Falcon's an integral part of the trilogy too. It's ownership got brushed aside in a few sentences. I don't think Maz's retrieval of the lightsaber will tie into the main plot. It's journey from now certainly will.

I was about to say the exact same thing - the origin story of the Millenium Falcon and how Han Solo got it was handled in two throwaway lines in Empire. Why? Because it's not important.

Hey, Video Copilot just put out a free 3D pack including a bunch of Star Wars models (since Andrew Kramer worked on Force Awakens). Including this specific light saber. And I already have a template for an opening crawl with a star field made for that Rogue One crawl...I might just be tempted to make this alternate opening shot.

Also, the thing is, since this was cut from Force Awakens and shit was re-arranged, and a bunch of the flashbacks/backstory were just omitted, there's no reason some (heavily altered) version of this can't still happen in VIII or IX.

Nothing will cement how "weird" Johnson's version will be if this is the opening he runs with.

GhaleonEB

This got its own thread, and it's totally about TFA, but I wanted to mention it here since it deserves more eyes on it. Great little analysis of TFA and why it works (spoiler: it's about relationships).

To make it a bit relevant, I keep thinking about how I'm looking forward to this for very different reasons than I am most other sequels. With say, the new Captain America movie, my questions are all about what happens next in the overall story. I'm not particularly invested in the characters, though I do like them. But with Ep. VIII, I really just want to know what's happening with these characters, about their personal journey. I want to see these characters hanging out together doing adventurous shit. What happens to them, not what the plot is, if that distinction makes sense.

Surfinn

This got its own thread, and it's totally about TFA, but I wanted to mention it here since it deserves more eyes on it. Great little analysis of TFA and why it works (spoiler: it's about relationships).

To make it a bit relevant, I keep thinking about how I'm looking forward to this for very different reasons than I am most other sequels. With say, the new Captain America movie, my questions are all about what happens next in the overall story. I'm not particularly invested in the characters, though I do like them. But with Ep. VIII, I really just want to know what's happening with these characters, about their personal journey. I want to see these characters hanging out together doing adventurous shit. What happens to them, not what the plot is, if that distinction makes sense.

This is a good summary of why I dislike so many Marvel movies (they're not bad, let's be clear). Do we really care about any of those characters and their struggles/journey? Generally, no.. we're here for the action and what happens next in the overall story. That's why they continuously fall flat for me.

SW is different because you learn to love new characters and who they become. It's why I'm so excited about the next two episodes -- because these people will be totally different by the time credits roll on EP9. And I can't wait to see it unfold.

There's just so much more for people to relate to and care about. It feels meaningful without being shallow.

-griffy-

Banned

I agree with all of that, plus the new characters are just darn likeable. I simply want to spend more time with them. I'm curious how the events of TFA will change them. Rey, Finn and Kylo Ren specifically ended the film poised with all kinds of intense personal motivation that can drive them forwards, and I'm dying to see how that bears out.

sphagnum

Banned
Originally, Rey didn't go downstairs and have the vision by herself. I believe that table conversation was where Maz had everyone involved in a group vision. At which point we learn how the saber got to be in Maz's possession, which included watching young Ben betray everyone at Luke's temple, which would have shaken Han considerably (and revealed his parentage of Kylo Ren to everyone else) and prompted Rey's bailing out.

I believe it would have also changed Finn's character right then and there, as he decides to take the saber when Rey won't, as part of his denial of the First Order. Like, that's the moment he decides to say "fuck Kylo Ren."

When they decided not to go with that, shit got rearranged quite a bit, with only the most important details/tidbits repurposed/reassigned to different story beats.

Yeah, here's the shot list as Millennium Falcon had described it (more detailed than MSW's version, while MSW's is the version where they hold hands to start the vision):

INT DAY - 187 - KYLO REN'S SHUTTLE • Kylo Ren watches The Catapult's work

INT DAY - 188 - RESISTANCE BASE - MAP ROOM • Leia and staff react to Tunnel of Love unhappy ending

EXT DAY - 189 - CASTLE - COURTYARD • Maz Kanata and Han Solo watch the horror. Maz Kanata decides to help

EXT DAY - 190 - LANDING PAD JOURNEY • Plates as required for Maz Kanata journey to Maz Kanta's Castle

EXT DAY - 192 - SAVANNAH • Reprise Hand takes sword, we reveal Naka

EXT NIGHT - 193 - SAVANNAH - PEASANT'S HOVEL • Peasant is using the sword as a firestarter

EXT DAY - 194 - SAVANNAH - PEASANT'S HOVEL • Local trader buys sword off of Naka

EXT NIGHT - 195 - SAVANNAH • Local trader already has sold the sword on

EXT NIGHT - 196 - BATTLEFIELD • A battle rages. The sword is being used.

EXT DAY - 198 - ACADEMY • Leia and Han Solo hand over Young Kylo Ren to his Uncle for training

EXT DAWN - 200 - ACADEMY • Young Kylo Ren being trained by his Uncle

INT NIGHT - 202 - ACADEMY • Bodies left behind - Young Kylo Ren is gone

EXT DAY - 203 - JAGGED TERRAIN/PALACE • Kylo Ren joins The Knights Of Ren

EXT DUSK - 204 - ACADEMY • R2-D2 upset as his master leaves

EXT NIGHT - 205 - JAGGED TERRAIN/PALACE • Kylo Ren joins The Knights Of Ren

EXT DAY - 207 - CASTLE • Reveal Maz Kanata's spectacular Castle

INT DAY - 208 - CASTLE • Maz Kanata walks the group through the Castle interiour

EXT NIGHT - 209 - CASTLE • Kylo Ren and his Knights at campfire. Maz Kanata steals sword

INT DAY - 210 - CASTLE STAIRCASE • Walking down stairs, Maz Kanata reveals she stole it.

EXT NIGHT - 211 - MOUNTAIN SIDE • Reveal Maz Kanata on Speeder, she has the sword

INT DAY - 212 - CASTLE - UNDERGROUND CHAMBER • Finn is drawn toward the object, Rey repelled by it. She bolts

INT DAY - 213 - CASTLE - STAIRCASE • Rey climbs the stairs in need of escape

EXT DAY - 214 - CASTLE • Rey exits castle, head for the woods

I'm glad they cut the floating hand thing, Maz Kanata, the rathtar sequence and Snoke's appearance.

Oh wait, I'm in the bad timeline where they didn't cut all of these.

Ric Flair

Banned
I'm hoping for a floating emperor opening scene for the next movie, maybe have his ghost menacingly laugh as his corpse floats down to jakku or something

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
I dont think they will tell us in the films how she got the saber, itll be a comic, they like comics

Tookay

Definitely glad they cut the floating hand stuff. It made zero sense and seemed to exist solely because it was a cool visual.

The problem is that a lot of cool stuff from Rey's vision was cut out along with it, which sucks. And Maz's character suffered for it.

As it stands, Maz kinda just exists as "Shitty Yoda." She has almost no connection to any of the characters, but is spouting life-changing advice as if she's their best friend. And then the movie completely drops her fifteen minutes later.

It's hard to care about her showing up again in Episode VIII, because they didn't do a good job introducing her the first go-around.

sphagnum

Banned
As it stands, Maz kinda just exists as "Shitty Yoda." She has almost no connection to any of the characters, but is spouting life-changing advice as if she's their best friend. And then the movie completely drops her fifteen minutes later.

They ran into the same problem with Maz that they ran into with Obi-Wan in ANH - she has nothing to do after the midpoint of the movie. She was originally supposed to travel to D'Qar with the others, which is why there's a shot in the teaser of Maz handing the lightsaber to Leia. But whereas Lucas decided to kill Obi-Wan to further Luke's story, JJ just kind of decided to cut out Maz since, I guess, it's not like killing her would have had a great emotional resonance with the audience or help further Rey's story at all since Han was the mentor figure.

They had a problem with getting important characters off the table before the movie ended, yeah.

Which is kinda why I was so surprised the movie got a Best Editing nomination at the Oscars. Because that movie had some pretty obvious editing decisions that were... not good ones.

one of the most bizarre Oscar noms of that year

Like I think most people who liked the movie could say the editing was, very conspicuously, the worst thing about The Force Awakens?

GhaleonEB

They ran into the same problem with Maz that they ran into with Obi-Wan in ANH - she has nothing to do after the midpoint of the movie. She was originally supposed to travel to D'Qar with the others, which is why there's a shot in the teaser of Maz handing the lightsaber to Leia. But whereas Lucas decided to kill Obi-Wan to further Luke's story, JJ just kind of decided to cut out Maz since, I guess, it's not like killing her would have had a great emotional resonance with the audience or help further Rey's story at all since Han was the mentor figure.

IIRC, JJ didn't realize the issue with Maz having nothing to do at D'Qar until after they were deep into editing, so they couldn't kill her - they could keep her around or just edit her out. Since she's playing a larger role in the overall story, cutting her in TFA lets her get fleshed out in the later episodes. But it was too late to solve the problem of her disappearing act. Like Bobby said, too many balls in the air at once. I'm sure there will be some pruning as we go.

They had a problem with getting important characters off the table before the movie ended, yeah.

Which is kinda why I was so surprised the movie got a Best Editing nomination at the Oscars. Because that movie had some pretty obvious editing decisions that were... not good ones.

one of the most bizarre Oscar noms of that year

Like I think most people who liked the movie could say the editing was, very conspicuously, the worst thing about The Force Awakens?

The issues with the editing come down to just a few items, though. Maz's disappearing act and some pacing when transitioning from the 2nd to the 3rd act (which might be the same issue, actually). But outside of Maz I'd say editing is one of TFA's strengths.

-griffy-

Banned
Some day I'd like to do a big post convincing you guys that the editing in the film is actually pretty damn good for the most part, and why I can understand the editors in the industry would think it warrants a nomination, the ideal version of which would include a bunch of examples and pointing out issues with editing I have in other films that aren't in TFA (I'm already thinking of several weird edits that pop up in pretty much every Nolan film save Memento), couched in the context that I spend every day editing video so I'm thinking about stuff from a very specific technical point of view that probably glosses over some of the "big picture" aspects of editing a feature in regards to structure and pacing, which invariably leads to the discussion of the complicated metamorphosis that happens in the shooting and post phases whereby stuff needs to be cut for story or technical reasons, in which case it's hard to pin it specifically as solely an editing issue or a story issue since it's kind of fluid...and...that's probably enough for the one sentence. It would be nice to do that, but I'm just too exhausted.

Top Bottom