• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney making a Live Action Star Wars TV show for its streaming service.

http://variety.com/2017/biz/news/star-wars-tv-series-disney-streaming-service-1202611408/

more good news...

Disney has just closed a deal with director Rian Johnson to develop a new “Star Wars” trilogy, and it is planning a live-action “Star Wars” TV series to air on its entertainment streaming service that is expected to launch by the end of 2019.

Disney chairman-CEO Bob Iger announced the “Star Wars” news during the company’s quarterly earnings call. In addition to the “Star Wars” TV series, Disney is working on TV adaptations of Pixar’s “Monsters Inc.,” the Disney Channel’s “High School Musical” franchise and an original series from Marvel.

Johnson helmed “Star Wars: The Last Jedi,” which is due out next month. He’s set to write and direct another trio of “Star Wars” theatrical pics with his longtime collaborator Ram Bergman.

“We all loved working with Rian on ‘The Last Jedi,’” said Kathleen Kennedy, president of Lucasfilm. “He’s a creative force, and watching him craft ‘The Last Jedi’ from start to finish was one of the great joys of my career. Rian will do amazing things with the blank canvas of this new trilogy.”

DrEvil

not a medical professional
"He’s set to write and direct another trio of “Star Wars” theatrical pics with his longtime collaborator Ram Bergman."

First I'd heard of this...

RPGCrazied

Expected. And I will sub just for this like I did CBS all access for Star Trek but will drop it once its over.

JimiNutz

Banned
They've been talking about live action Star Wars TV for over 10 years now. I wonder if they will use any of the Star Wars Underworld scripts? (apparently there are over 100 of these written already).

matt360

Hopefully Filoni gets a crack at showrunner.

I'd certainly feel better with him at the helm.

I'm kinda hoping the show is an archaeological action adventure starring Dr. Aphra from the comics. Kinda like Indiana Jones in the Star Wars universe. She's got two awesome droids, she's an archaeologist so that explains the need for constant planet-hopping, she hangs out with bounty hunters all the time, and she occasionally mixes with characters from the OT, including Vader in a major way. It's not gonna happen, but I think it would be a cool show.

firelogic

That's some major pressure on Rian Johnson. He's basically being asked to create a new world with new characters that will become iconic and potentially hold up the franchise for the next several decades.

Then again, if it fails, they still have Rey and Finn to make Episodes X, XI, XII, etc...

JimiNutz

Banned
Pre-PT (and then new PT (that's not really a trilogy because tv series instead)...

I was thinking recently that they could maybe re-tell the Episodes 1-3 storyline in a high budget TV show over 3 seasons.

They would have to cast similar looking actors and keep most of the main storyline the same though so that it didn't clash with the rest of the EU (Clone Wars, certain books and comics etc.) But it would be a good opportunity to fix many of the mistakes of the PT and expand the storyline so that it has a more satisfying delivery.

I don't think the idea will be particularly popular though. Personally I think it would be cool to see Anakin's story given another opportunity since Vader is my favourite Star Wars character.

Kimawolf

just as expected star wars is going to be beaten to death, worse than marvel though in the long run i think.

Oh course. Disney will have a movie out every year in the SW universe from now on, and I expect two shows coming out. It won't stop. As long as quality remains I won't complain. I DO wish though we could see maybe some kind of far future SW movie.

Oh course. Disney will have a movie out every year in the SW universe from now on, and I expect two shows coming out. It won't stop. As long as quality remains I won't complain. I DO wish though we could see maybe some kind of far future SW movie.
Or....The Old Republic!

Top Bottom