• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Jedi: Survivor Slammed on Steam Over Performance Issues

Draugoth

Gold Member
1682682351860-16x9.jpg

EA and Respawn Entertainment's Star Wars Jedi: Survivor has been slammed with several negative reviews on Steam as users report performance issues

Survivor, the galaxy-spanning sequel to 2019's Jedi: Fallen Order, currently has a Mostly Negative rating on Steam with only 31% of 1,216 users recommending it.

"Game is extremely fun but performs terribly," said Steam user Doctor TacoChocolate. "I'm using a 3090 FE and 5700x and getting a consistent 30 fps in some areas. Other areas give me a mostly consistent 45. This is at 1440p."

Users have also taken to Reddit to voice their complaints, with Delicious_Pea_3706 saying "the concerning comments on performance for PC are true". Running Survivor on an RTX 4090 and AMD Ryzen 9 7900X3D saw it crash not only itself but the entire PC, they said.

"Running a 4090 with Epic Settings and Ray Tracing was getting me around 90 FPS, which is pretty good, but the frame stutters were way too frequent. I don’t want to imagine how bad it must be for mid range hardware."

Star-Wars-Jedi-Survivor-Steam-Reviews.jpg

Other users reported crashes too, alongside graphical issues, and an "unexpected error" that saw the player bypass story elements without seeing them, forcing them to either continue in a broken game state or load a previous save and hope it worked the second time.

Other users have said that performance issues are mitigated once the player moves on from the first main area of the game, however. "After the first world it ran perfectly fine," said Steam user bike._. Another user, Al Falsafchy, said: "story [and] combat compensates the lack of performance in the first area".

There are also users experiencing no issues. "Currently three hours into the game and haven't had any stuttering while playing on a 3070," said gildner99 on Steam. "Not sure if I got lucky or what but I have been loving the game."

Respawn released a day one patch for the game that appeared to address a lot of performance issues, though it also said that more are on the way in the coming weeks.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

It's wild considering for some people the performance is still wildly ass, but for others it's more than fine. I'm over an hour and then some at this point, if not 2 hours. I've been running the game all epic at 2560x1440 w/ a 3080, and have had absolutely no issues whatsoever. Micro stutters in cutscenes that are about half a second or less, but nothing distracting or anything that would ruin the experience. I guess it COULD change, but I'm already on the second planet, and nothing has as of yet.

I'd say if you're super excited, get it, see how it runs on your system. If it's bad, refund it, and wait for a patch. Who knows, it may run just fine for you and you'll be happy.

Just another situation where some systems are doing better/much better than others because of however the issue works with certain system specs.

Last edited:

T4keD0wN

Good, at least now they have a reason to improve it. Hopefully them not getting a pass will force them to improve it similar to Callisto and The last of us.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

OMG! 30 FPS! UNPLAYABLE!

Jesus, PC gamers these days. Back in my day 30fps was the max.
No shit, lmao. I think that's why when games have the slightest slow down it doesn't bother me. SO many games on the NES had the absolute WORST slow downs that would MAKE you die if you weren't prepared for them, lol. Out of lives? Start all the way over, lmao.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I think we all saw this coming with them saying they'd be supporting it with patches for weeks. Shame on anyone who preordered or bought this on day one.

MiguelItUp

That older game looks legit more fun then survivor.
Honestly the Jedi Knight series is in dire need of a sequel. I'd LOVE to see that gameplay on a modern engine, especially that multiplayer. God, so many good times. Especially in Outcast.

Survivor has been a great experience so far, it's the closest thing to a new JK that we've gotten thus far. I'm just going to continue to hope that some day a new JK will actually happen. I'd love for them to make Kyle Katarn a part of the canon.

MikeM

Jedi: Survivor name is fitting. Can your PC and your ego survive the shitty optimization?

Imagine spending $2-3k on a PC and having EA greenlight a game that pushes no boundaries and results in 30-45fps in a stuttering mess.

Enjoy your preorders. Hopefully more people learn the lesson to just wait for reviews.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
I don't understand how some people are getting so bad performance.
For me, and several other people on Gaf and on the Guru3d forum, performance is decent. Not perfect, as the game is CPU bound, but still very playable.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Look, performance issues happens to the best of us. Whether it be mentally or physical. I dont think we should be shaming anyone over performance issues.

Anyone offer them blue tablets?

MiguelItUp

I don't understand how some people are getting so bad performance.
For me, and several other people on Gaf and on the Guru3d forum, performance is decent. Not perfect, as the game is CPU bound, but still very playable.
It's really weird to me. I'd like to know the percentage negative affected, and the quality of their gameplay. For me it's been much like yours, and I haven't experienced anything like others have or are. I saw people even mentioning the audio bug. But as far as I know, that latest patch fixed that on all platforms. At least it was meant to.

RobRSG

I bought Dead Space but I wish I didn’t as the game runs terribly, now I know in advance that I should avoid this bomba.

Keep the good job, EA.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
Stating a game is playable is a very low standard. We should all expect more for a game charging a next gen tax.

Not just playable. I'm getting 80 fps average on the heaviest areas. With good frame pacing
And in exploration areas, I'm getting above 100 fps average. Epic Settings, 1440p, FSRQ.

MiguelItUp

I bought Dead Space but I wish I didn’t as the game runs terribly, now I know in advance that I should avoid this bomba.

Keep the good job, EA.
Really? I've legit never heard anything about Dead Space having bad performance. One other person mentioned that today, but they were confused with Callisto Protocol...

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Really? I've legit never heard anything about Dead Space having bad performance. One other person mentioned that today, but they were confused with Callisto Protocol...
I’m confused by that as well, I played the game on my PS5 and didn’t really notice performance issues.

Last edited:

GymWolf

With RT off, it should be possible on a RTX 4090 if you are willing to turn down some Epic settings to High.
What about a 4080 and being ok with turning down a lot of settings (but not stuff like textures, models, details etc.)

Is my 13600k good enough?

Last edited:

Dynasty8

Shit like this sucks. The game sounds really good overall but is held back by poor optimization and performance issues. Delaying the game a couple or few extra months would have been worth the headache and backlash they'll be getting.

RobRSG

The game has some very annoying traversal stutters on the PC. Every 5 or 10 seconds depending on the CPU. I am trying to refund it right now.

Last edited:

Hot5pur

That's really quite unfortunate, the team is definitely competent in the game design department.
First game seems to have done very well and has a high rating on steam. Personally I thought it was pretty good.
EA likely needed this to go out for financial reasons?
Seems this just keep happening these days, games come out half baked to be fixed later (Gotham Knights, TLOU). It doesn't seem there are repercussions as people still pick them up when they are fixed (which is usually before they drop in price).
The only way to really fight this is STOP PRE-ORDERING. You crazy people that love to give your money in return for trivial bonuses while getting nothing in return until the game releases, where you could buy it anyway. Like why.
If companies want to build trust for pre-orders they will ship good products.

Bragr

Banned

Keep the good job, EA.
I'm playing Dead Space right now, it's still a mess after all these months. Same with Need for Speed Unbound.

And now this. I learned my lesson now, gotta stay away from this company at launch.

MiguelItUp

The game has some very annoying traversal stutters on the PC. Every 5 or 10 seconds depending on the CPU. I am trying to refund it right now.
That's really strange. I never saw or heard about such a thing. Even on streams/gameplay I watched. Sorry you experienced that!

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
What about a 4080 and being ok with turning down a lot of settings (but not stuff like textures, models, details etc.)

Is my 13600k good enough?
the game is CPU bound so not sure about 4k 60 fps with the 13600k but I am getting 55-70 fps in the first area with my 3080 and i7-11700k which is roughly equivalent to your 13600k.

Your GPU is only 50% faster than mine so not sure if you will get a locked 4k 60 fps but you might get close.

This benchmark shows the open world area dropping to 40 fps but goes up to 80 fps. His CPU is much worse than yours though.

GymWolf

the game is CPU bound so not sure about 4k 60 fps with the 13600k but I am getting 55-70 fps in the first area with my 3080 and i7-11700k which is roughly equivalent to your 13600k.

Your GPU is only 50% faster than mine so not sure if you will get a locked 4k 60 fps but you might get close.

This benchmark shows the open world area dropping to 40 fps but goes up to 80 fps. His CPU is much worse than yours though.

Meh, i'm just gonna wait for a patch then, hopefully redfall is gonna shit the bed like this one.

Top Bottom