• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Jedi: Survivor Coming To PS4 And Xbox One

Draugoth

Gold Member
F2eQ8xAXcAA0z2-

Star Wars Jedi: Survivor is headed to more platforms. During publisher Electronic Arts' earnings briefing, the company announced that developer Respawn is now in the "early stages" of bringing the Star Wars game to PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.

The announcement from Respawn and EA today about bringing Jedi: Survivor to older consoles probably came as a surprise to some. In February, game director Stig Asmussen told Play Magazine (via GameRant) that Respawn was skipping PS4/Xbox One so the company could take full advantage of the superior processors and memory of the PS5 and Xbox Series X|S compared to the PS4 and Xbox One. Asmussen said Respawn was hoping to achieve a "true new-gen experience" with Jedi: Survivor.

Respawn did not say when Jedi: Survivor might launch on PS4 and Xbox One or provide any further details on how this version of the game might be different from the PS5 and Xbox Series X|S edition.

Jedi: Survivor was not the first current-gen-only game from EA, as the company launched EA Sports PGA Tour only on PS5 and Xbox Series X|S earlier in April 2023.

Beyond the announcement of Jedi: Survivor for PS4 and Xbox One, Respawn said it is working on "additional performance improvements" for the existing PC, PlayStation 5, and Xbox Series X|S versions of Jedi: Survivor. Respawn said it continues to be a "top priority" for the team to release these improvements, and more information will be shared in due course.

Last edited:

Fbh

I hope the Ps4 Pro / 1 X version has unlocked framerate.
Maybe that way there will be a locked 60fps version running at more than 720p on Ps5/Sx

winjer

Gold Member
Considering the performance issues this game has on modern consoles, I can't expect anything good from a port on the previous gen.
This is probably going to be a disaster on the scale of CP 2077.

yamaci17

i dont know why y'all surprised. game ran decently if you disabled ray tracing on PC. problem was mainly that non ray tracing pipeline was not optimized visually

SlimySnake SlimySnake can attest. non ray tracing, game performs like any other regular UE4 game. actually has decent performance for its visuals, aside from graphical errors.

I'd have to guess along with ps4 versions, they will provide the ps5/xbox a non ray tracing graphics alternative as well.

only reason it runs horrible on ps5/xbox is because there's ray tracing GI that is too heavy for the consoles' CPU (not that cpu is not capable, UE4 ray tracing is simply not optimized. it is bolted in later on)

on PC, without ray tracing, I was able to get a seamless 4k fsr quality 45-60 fps on my 3070/2700 rig. technically xbox sx/ps5 can achieve similarly smooth seamless experience maybe with a bit of reduced resolution targets. the current 720p/800p 25-45 fps thing is entirely ray tracing

enabling ray tracing on PC also has the same effect, it literally destroys everything you have

the game doesn't need any fancy CPU or SSD without ray tracing.

I gather on ps4 it will target around 900p with FSR quality. it might a bumpy 30 FPS. Xbox one will most likely brutal

1050ti can be pushed to 30+ fps even in problematic areas with 1080p fsr perf (has a rendering cost around 700-800p. hence ps4 would most likely target 900p output) (or 1080p FSR perf itself. I'm sure PS4 users would still be grateful that they would get access to the game)

Last edited:

proandrad

Bet you all they do it turn off ray tracing and it fixes all the performance issues. All the people that gave the benefit of the doubt that to this mid looking game being too next gen for stable 60fps are about to look like fools.

Last edited:
On PS5 it drops to 17fps in the quality mode and goes as low as 648p in performance mode (while somehow looking like 480p) although with RT GI according to DF.

It would be funny if, without RT, it looks cleaner on PS4. Let’s be honest it can’t look any worse than the PS5 performance mode unless Respawn come round and rub sand in your eyes but can they beat the 17fps target? I guess time will tell..

Looking forward to the analysis videos if nothing else.

intbal

Perhaps they'll just take the Fallen Order code base for the 8th gen machines and remake the Survivor worlds in that.

On PS5 it drops to 17fps in the quality mode and goes as low as 648p in performance mode (while somehow looking like 480p) although with RT GI according to DF.

It would be funny if, without RT, it looks cleaner on PS4. Let’s be honest it can’t look any worse than the PS5 performance mode unless Respawn come round and rub sand in your eyes but can they beat the 17fps target? I guess time will tell..

Looking forward to the analysis videos if nothing else.

Trim the fidelity and resolution down enough, could be like Elden Ring for PS4 Pro running unpatched on PS5. The only version of the game that actually plays at a locked 60 fps. 😂

HL3.exe

Hahaha, cross-gen truly never ends!

In all fairness, kinda impressive that these 10 year old machines with weak hardware still are able to run these designs. That tells you something about general stagnation in technical game-design. Curious how this is gonna run, from a academic purposes.

In all fairness, kinda impressive that these 10 year old machines with weak hardware still are able to run these designs. That tells you something about general stagnation in technical game-design. Curious how this is gonna run, from a academic purposes.

Yep. One of those rare times nowadays where a Digital Foundry video would actually interest me. Been awhile.

Last edited:
"Game director Stig Asmussen claimed real-time ray tracing and other next-gen capabilities enable Respawn to operate "at a quality that's much above anything that we've ever developed before." By exclusively targeting ninth-generation consoles, Survivor enjoys significantly faster load times with a development team that is no longer obligated to support the older PlayStation 4 and Xbox One consoles the first game launched on.This is due to the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X/S consoles featuring a solid-state drive (SSD) that enables much faster asset loading times compared to a hard drive."

Topher

Gold Member
"Game director Stig Asmussen claimed real-time ray tracing and other next-gen capabilities enable Respawn to operate "at a quality that's much above anything that we've ever developed before." By exclusively targeting ninth-generation consoles, Survivor enjoys significantly faster load times with a development team that is no longer obligated to support the older PlayStation 4 and Xbox One consoles the first game launched on.This is due to the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X/S consoles featuring a solid-state drive (SSD) that enables much faster asset loading times compared to a hard drive."
bullshit-pointing.gif

Especially the part about load times. What a joke.

Last edited:

Fbh

Because there are no next gen games.
What "next gen" thing did Jedi survivor do other than having better graphics? Next gen so far is last gen games with marginally better graphics and dumb shit like ray tracing bringing us back to sub 60fps sub 1080p territory again

The only new game that seems remotely next gen so far is Startfield and they are doing it in the most straightforward way possible: Size.

proandrad

Critics need to star being a lot harsher towards games with technical issues. FF16 is another game that has no business having its performance mode run so bad with the visuals it's delivering.

Last edited:

Zuzu

I wish they'd at least take the ray tracing out of the performance mode. The Series S doesn't have it and obviously the PS4 and Xbox One won't have it. So take it out and make that mode run better!

Because there are no next gen games.
What "next gen" thing did Jedi survivor do other than having better graphics? Next gen so far is last gen games with marginally better graphics and dumb shit like ray tracing bringing us back to sub 60fps sub 1080p territory again

The only new game that seems remotely next gen so far is Startfield and they are doing it in the most straightforward way possible: Size.
This right here. Fuck you, ray tracing. We started this gen off with cross gen games running at higher resolutions and higher framerates. Then ray tracing came along and said, "Yeah, fuck all that image quality and performance. I'm here to give you barely noticeable lighting differences!"

Thats what happens when your flagship fps bombs. If dragon age is crossgen, it really is time for Pap EA to put a bullet to the studio.

Fbh

This right here. Fuck you, ray tracing. We started this gen off with cross gen games running at higher resolutions and higher framerates. Then ray tracing came along and said, "Yeah, fuck all that image quality and performance. I'm here to give you barely noticeable lighting differences!"

Exactly.
I don't know if it's only ray tracing but this year we have got a bunch of new games completely destroying image quality and performance on console for the sake of neglectable graphical improvements.
When something like God of War Ragnarok runs at native 1440p and locked 60fps (and like 75-85 fps if you unlock the framerate) then whatever the fuck games like FFXVI and Jedi Survivor are doing to have to push the resolution all the way back to 720p and not even achieve locked 60fps simply isn't worth it.

Last edited:
This must mean the game didn’t do the numbers upper management was hoping for, after the first Fallen Order did so well. But I feel like part of the reason is that it didn’t functionally perform well on these consoles, which anecdotally for me put me off buying it, and still does to this day. So they’re gonna attempt to recoup more ROI for this game by putting it on old consoles and hoping for some more cheddah.

Money talks 🤷‍♂️

Literally I am waiting for a patch that makes people say Ok the game works well now, and then I will be on board with buying it. I’m not wasting $70 on jank, not on my precious $500 Series X. I can wait for a really long time, too. Plenty of other games to play that don’t have all these performance issues.

Last edited:
Top Bottom