• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Jedi: Survivor Coming To PS4 And Xbox One

dotnotbot

Running PS4 version in unlocked mode (if it gets one) on PS5 might be the only way to play this in rock solid 60 FPS.

Reactions: Fbh

hussar16

Will they finally stop with the old 2011 tech and move on.this is worse then any generation the milking is getting so bad.no games can truly be next gen

hussar16

Lol if the ps5 gen leap wasn't already the worst ever. Not only do next gen games run shitty or low resolution, the developers don't even believe their real next gen games. "Eh fuck it, nothing the ps4 can't do with a couple downgrades."

Hell even exclusive devs are struggling to show what next gen is now.
This gen is definitely maximized everything for profit above creativity

DonJorginho

Banned
Really? Holy shit. I really liked the original and was looking forward to this, but decided to wait when I heard about the performance. Guess I'll play it when it comes to PS+ whenever...
Yep, sadly runs at 40-50 fps with constant heavy screen tearing, the quality mode has awful input lag and also suffers same screen tearing/fluctuations in framerate.

00_Zer0

I will eventually get this on PC after I upgrade my PC sometime next year. Maybe by then it will be patched enough to fix your issues. It will be interesting to see how this game will run on PS4 and XBox One. I bet EA and Disney have plans to release the first 2 games on the Switch 2, so it will be interesting if that happens just to see how those 3 versions stack up against other.

mrcroket

I knew before entering this thread that more than one was going to feel "ripped off" for not being a true next gen then. People, accept it, there is NO next gen only game possible.

And it's not the fault of the new consoles, it's simply that the hardware has evolved differently than decades ago.

Obviously it will have longer loading times, lower framerate, resolution, geometry detail.... But by making these concessions we have reached a point where any game can adapt and even still look good on old gen.

Do you get paid to shill? Genuinely curious

The most recent patch made things worse on console. Performance mode drops down to 34 fps with constant screen tearing, and quality mode runs at an inconsistent 30fps with awful input delay and screen tearing.
Do you even own the game ?

DonJorginho

Banned
Do you even own the game ?

👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼

EVFHwxT.jpg

Stuart360

Having a last gen version come months later doesnt mean its not a 'next gen' game. Remember Dragon Age Inqusition and Shadow of Mordor last gen?.

My guess is when exploring patches they found a way to get the game running on last gen. Maybe EA asked them to explore the possibilities.

Plus i'd wait to see how it looks and runs on last gen before losing your shit, the game already struggles on current gen consoles with some very low resolutuons and framedrops.

Doczu

Having a last gen version come months later doesnt mean its not a 'next gen' game. Remember Dragon Age Inqusition and Shadow of Mordor last gen?.
I mentioned both of these games too, but to be fair i bought them and they were really bad experiences. After trying the next gen versions i was baffled they even wanted to release them. Should have gone the Mortal Kombat X route and jist cancel thrm

The Stig

That is accurate. "Quality" mode isn't much better frankly and that choppy 30fps makes it even worse to me. And then there's the load times. You try to leave your room from inside the saloon and the door will not open. I thought I had encountered a bug. Nope. It's loading the next area. There are two lights at the top of the door. When it is loading, the lights show yellow. When it is done loading, they turn green. Took me a few tries to figure it out. 10 to 15 seconds loads at times. No way that should happen when fast traveling to complete different areas in games like Hogwarts take less time than opening a damn door in Jedi Survivor. I think EA forced this game out the door months too early. Technically it is just horrible.

There is really no excuse for this. I'm going to be more interested in the DF following the last gen version more than most.

Edit:

Another thing. If you had told me that the developers of video game versions of Disney games like Cars 3 and Toy Story 3 would totally outclass Respawn, the makers of Titanfall and Jedi Fallen Order, then there is no emoji that would have fully expressed my laughter. And yet here we are. Hogwart's Legacy is light years more technically impressive than Jedi Survivor, imo.
yup, thanks for typing my exact thoughts. those loading times in and around the cantina are awful. ive even got it installed on a samsung 980 pro on my ps5. also that blurry screenshot is not an exaggeration. sometimes it can look pretty bad.

I personally still love the game. I played the absolute poop out of it. 3 trophies away from platinum in fact. I just cant ignore the performance.

Topher

Gold Member
yup, thanks for typing my exact thoughts. those loading times in and around the cantina are awful. ive even got it installed on a samsung 980 pro on my ps5. also that blurry screenshot is not an exaggeration. sometimes it can look pretty bad.

I personally still love the game. I played the absolute poop out of it. 3 trophies away from platinum in fact. I just cant ignore the performance.

I got the platinum. Yeah......it is actually a fun game, but damn so many technical annoyances. It should have been delayed.

Where has all the optimization talent gone?

Denver Nuggets Idk GIF by NBPA

Topher

Gold Member
I'm not having any major issues , myself . Just the odd bit of Unreal 4 judder now and again. The game is otherwise totally brilliant and up there for my GOTY.

The game itself is pretty good. On a technical level, the PS5 and XSX versions are on par according to DF. But if you are not noticing the issues then that's good.

mrcroket

60? Lol, the Deck is less powerful than a PS4, where it will 100% be 30.
It's rougly on par in their native resolution (800p) so if the game is cpu constrained (very likely on ps4 games) could be possible to play it a more framerate. It's depend how the port is maked. There are a lots of examples of games that runs at 30fps on ps4 but can run 40, 50 or even 60fps on steam deck.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
It's rougly on par in their native resolution (800p) so if the game is cpu constrained (very likely on ps4 games) could be possible to play it a more framerate. It's depend how the port is maked. There are a lots of examples of games that runs at 30fps on ps4 but can run 40, 50 or even 60fps on steam deck.

Yeah, maybe if it's very CPU limited. But in general it seems to be that if you get 1080p30 on PS4 you get around 720p30 on the Deck. And sure, maybe you can get like 45 in some games if you want to play with unlocked framerate judder, but those 30fps PS4 games are also really something above 30 but capped to provide a consistent experience.

Jayjayhd34

How is the game been on a section only been able to play zelda on my switch. Hopefully heading home tomorrow so got lot catch up on game wise.

OrtizTwelve

The current “next gen” consoles (PS5 / Xbox Series) has thus far (key word being thus far) been a fairly mediocre console generation and a letdown. Perhaps it’s the pandemic that slowed everything down with regards to development and innovation, or the current fixation on shipping broken and buggy games along with endless micro transactions and monetization schemes being favored over actual good games— but overall I haven’t been impressed with anything either platform offers and it’s almost 2024. The consoles launched in Fall 2020…

Fbh

Will they finally stop with the old 2011 tech and move on.this is worse then any generation the milking is getting so bad.no games can truly be next gen

And what would a "truly next gen" version of this game look like?
As it is right now it can't even hold 60fps while rendering at under 720p at times, and even the 30fps mode has to drop under 1080p and still doesn't offer locked framerate.

Everyone spent the last 2.5 years whining about cross gen but at least during that time we got games running at nice resolutions with smooth framerate.
The only thing we've gotten from "next gen only" games is the same old game design but with devs destroying image quality and framerate for the sake of marginally better graphics.

Doczu

Everyone spent the last 2.5 years whining about cross gen but at least during that time we got games running at nice resolutions with smooth framerate.
The only thing we've gotten from "next gen only" games is the same old game design but with devs destroying image quality and framerate for the sake of marginally better graphics.
There is something weird going on with this gen cause after almost 3 years we are dropping off cross gen titles and as of now AAA games look barely better but the performance tanked HARD. Engine bloat? Crappy devs (yes, i do think devs are partially to blame), "fuck it thry will buy it anyway" mentality?

Luipadre

There is something weird going on with this gen cause after almost 3 years we are dropping off cross gen titles and as of now AAA games look barely better but the performance tanked HARD. Engine bloat? Crappy devs (yes, i do think devs are partially to blame), "fuck it thry will buy it anyway" mentality?

Also the use of FSR. We get worse image quality than the PS4 pro days. I remember some CRISP looking games on PS4 pro

MikeM

Please buy a PS5 Pro to play PS4 games.
Imagine if PS5 Pro allows PS3 emulation? One can dream.
People saying they lied about it being designed for next gen only, but how is that not true? The game can barely run on current gen, and as it stands without a complete overhaul would be impossible to run on Xbox One and PS4.

I can't actually remember, but did people say these things when they eventually ported the Witcher 3 to the Switch? That the Witcher 3 was no longer a next gen game because years later they managed to get it working on a switch?

When Doom got running on a calculator, did people start saying it was no longer a "True DOS game" lol?
Next gen means they don’t have to really optimize. I feel like crappy hardware forces their hand on the optimization side.

mrcroket

Yeah, maybe if it's very CPU limited. But in general it seems to be that if you get 1080p30 on PS4 you get around 720p30 on the Deck. And sure, maybe you can get like 45 in some games if you want to play with unlocked framerate judder, but those 30fps PS4 games are also really something above 30 but capped to provide a consistent experience.
You don't have a steam deck right? On steam deck you can set the display at any frequency you want between 40-60hz while playing.

Last edited:

RAIDEN1

Even Force Unleashed 1 and 2 didn't have these sort of performance issues months after their release...

RoadHazard

Gold Member
You don't have a steam deck right? On steam deck you can set the display at any frequency you want between 40-60hz while playing.

Sure, but that's not without its own issues, like the noticable flicker it introduces (which you don't get with 30fps@60hz).

This game could be manageable on previous generation of consoles if the port is right. Downgrades may be massive, i still hope they'd fix the current gen performance issues which still persist.

Fbh

Honestly I don't know.
If the games were visually mindblowing I would at least understand it, but they aren't. Like like Jedi Survivor and specially FFXVI have some amazing looking setpiece moments but the rest of the game really doesn't look like something that should be pushing the Ps5 down to 720p.

To an extent I really think it's just diminishing returns. These games might be pushing some impressive tech on paper but ultimately the end result you see on screen isn't that much better than what we had last gen and the cost on the hardware is so high we are seeing terrible resolutions and performance. Like is ray traced water reflections and shadows in Jedi survivio really worth it when you have to go below 720p at some points?

Also, I might be complete off base here but sadly I think this new upscaling tech has been for the worse in some cases. I think before stuff like SFR many devs wouldn't have added tech like ray tracing if it forced their 2023 game to run at 720p. But now they have to option to upscale so it doesn't look quite as bad and they can still say it's "1440p".

In 2083 we will still have games coming out for PS4/Xbone

The year is 2083
We are on the Ps14
We have 16K 1000hz holographic TV's
Console games are somehow still 720p 45fps because devs continue to prioritize graphics above everything.

Last edited:
The game itself is pretty good. On a technical level, the PS5 and XSX versions are on par according to DF. But if you are not noticing the issues then that's good.
I find DF a joke these days TBH. A few dropped frames here or there isn't bad. VRR tends to cover up most of the dropped frames as well and input lack seems to be part of the course for Souls games and their ripoff's. I myself have more of an issue with the sound of the game, especially when using Quick Resume when you 1st start the game, I get like 10 seconds of broken audio

Klik

No wonder why people(including myself) were suspicious that game feels and look like last gen. Well now we know why.. Game is made for jaguar cores at 1.6ghz, 1.5tf gpu and HDD in mind to be released in 2023 lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom