• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Outlaws locks Jabba the Hutt mission behind paywall

MiguelItUp

If you have PC and you REALLY wanna play the game do Ubisoft+ and then cancel your subscription when you're done. Chances are you'll be done with it before the month is over, so $18 and nothing more.

I've never cared for Ubisoft, and stuff like this will make the above a no brainer when there's a game once in a blue moon they release that I'm interested in.

TrebleShot

If you have PC and you REALLY wanna play the game do Ubisoft+ and then cancel your subscription when you're done. Chances are you'll be done with it before the month is over, so $18 and nothing more.

I've never cared for Ubisoft, and stuff like this will make the above a no brainer when there's a game once in a blue moon they release that I'm interested in
Pretty much this,
Did it with Avatar and AC Mirage.

You get access to the ultimate edition also so 3 days early, burn through the SP and cancel.

Buggy Loop

Tired Tv Land GIF by TV Land Classic

Star Wars being stuck with EA for 10 years and now Ubisoft... How did this franchise deserve this

I miss old Lucasarts games

lifa-cobex

Given it's initial price point for the game. That really doesn't surprise me.
In fact it wouldn't surprise me if they charged £20 to get the ending.
Kind of like that AC game where you either had to grind or pay to level your character up to continue the story.

This game is probably the best example of price gouging I've ever seen. Or at least a form of coercion to get subs.
I also have faith that this game won't sell well. I think people are beginning to open their eyes up to this kind of BS.

To those that do buy it. Just point and laugh.

Svejk

Not that I could give two shits about a cameo of a literal giant turd (and paying money to interact with a digital version of it), but all the shit surrounding this game of late, will definitely hold off and pick this up way later down the line when it's all accessible for a premium bargain bin price, if at all... Or a freebie somewhere. Screw Didney. No rusty trombone from me, fuck them.

StereoVsn

Yeah, Gold Edition will be $30 on sale in a year and lower afterwards. This game ain’t a must have, lol.

Last edited:
What's next? When you go and see a movie you have the choice of 2 versions. Normal price for the basic version and premium price for the same movie with extra scenes?

Fbh

Just wait and buy the full game in a year for like $60 off.
It's a Ubisoft game, it's probably not going to be worth a playthrough anyway.

Cyberpunk Phantom Liberty @ $40 dollars. Yay!

Star Wars Outlaws Jabba the Hutt @ $30 dollars. No!

You people are a strange bunch.

People have historically never really liked day 1 DLC.
If phantom Liberty had launched for $40 alongside the base game everyone would have complained too (not that the game needed any more negative feedback at launch though)

This is probably the same as every ubisoft game ever, where there's an extra small mission that comes with the more expensive edition as a bonus, but will wind up in the rewards shop so you can get it for free eventually.
Episode 2 Whatever GIF

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Can they do that as it's in the trailer for the main game.
Kinda false advertising

lifa-cobex

They really don't want to sell it... they are totally pushing for the subscription .
That's basically it.
Completely remove ownership and just turning their service into a rental model.
After which you can increase the rental price.
That way, even in slow periods of no releases, they can still make money with people who are still registered.

It's boiling the frog slowly.
I would imagine Ubisoft are hoping this trend catches on with other corps so it becomes the norm.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

I've never cared for Ubisoft, and stuff like this will make the above a no brainer when there's a game once in a blue moon they release that I'm interested in.
That is a expensive price to rent a game.

It's single player only and ubisux is already doing dumb shit, my advice is waiting for a sale(maybe BF)

Oh and get it physical as ubi is taking games back.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.

Was this the most predictalbe thing ever?

Ubisoft going to Ubisoft...................

It's not really a bad deal, since you're getting the season pass with the Gold edition. In the case of the Assassin's Creed games you always got very sizable expansion packs. I completed AC:Origins including all the DLC, but AC:Oddyssey was so large that I only finished the main game and 1 out of 3 expansions. AC:Valhalla was even bigger than that, I haven't even touched the DLC.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
People have historically never really liked day 1 DLC.
If phantom Liberty had launched for $40 alongside the base game everyone would have complained too (not that the game needed any more negative feedback at launch though)
To me, it's an entitled attitude.

They made it. They're allowed to charge for it. Everyone is allowed to buy or not buy it based on how they value it.

If they artificially withheld the Jabba the Hutt mission for 6 months, would everyone be OK with that? Because that makes 0 sense to me.

Last edited:
Kind of shocked it took a game company this long to do it really. I remember Mass Effect with EA was brutal. Putting massive DLC stories out. They would take the most compelling story they could think of that should have 100% been part of the main story and make it DLC. How do you make the background story for the main villain a DLC mission? Dragon Age inquisition required DLC just to finish the main story.

hinch7

Cyberpunk Phantom Liberty @ $40 dollars. Yay!

Star Wars Outlaws Jabba the Hutt @ $30 dollars. No!

You people are a strange bunch.
Not sure if serious. Or you've never played CP2077 and Phantom Liberty.

You're comparing a full expansion with a 13 hour main story with side missions ~22hr total, with multiple endings.. made and released years after the games release. Verses a game with a single mission cut off from it, sold off as DLC in a premium package and season pass.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

That is a expensive price to rent a game.

It's single player only and ubisux is already doing dumb shit, my advice is waiting for a sale(maybe BF)

Oh and get it physical as ubi is taking games back.
True, which is why I was saying if you feel like you have to play it. Sure, you don't own it. But playing it for that price at launch, and then buying it down the road at a much cheaper price seems like a better decision. At least IMO.

Top Bottom