• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Outlaws locks Jabba the Hutt mission behind paywall

near

Gold Member
Ubisoft obviously put time & effort into the Jabba The Hutt DLC. They just did so in a different (irrelevant to the player) manner.
Jabba's gambit mission isn't DLC, it isn't advertised on their website as DLC. They advertise the 2 upcoming DLCs and this mission separately. Jabba's gambit mission is basically baked in to the game already. It's an inconsequential mission to the main campaign, and a low effort incentive to upsell you on the season pass early. You're essentially being locked out of content that should be in the base game to begin with, which suggests that the quest itself isn't substantial enough for people to worry about if they miss out on.

kjmNRZ7.png

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Shadow of Erdtree expansion is gonna have good 40-50 hours content, meanwhile you would be lucky if this Jabba quests last an hour.....Are fucking kidding me with stupid comparison?

Better to judge content AFTER you play it rather than BEFORE anyone sees it. Call me crazy.

To put it another way, would Elden Ring be a worse game if it released simultaneously alongside Erdtree DLC?

Of course it wouldn't.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
It's an inconsequential mission to the main campaign, and a low effort incentive to upsell you on the season pass early. You're essentially being locked out of content that should be in the base game to begin with, which suggests that the quest itself isn't substantial enough for people to worry about if they miss out on.
Can't judge the content before anyone sees it.

If it's low quality, THEN you call it for what it is.

Ubisoft should be allowed to allocate resources the way they see fit.

near

Gold Member
Can't judge the content before anyone sees it.

If it's low quality, THEN you call it for what it is.

Ubisoft should be allowed to allocate resources the way they see fit.
It isn't good enough to be sold separately on its own, which is why it's part of a bundle that includes a season pass and 2 upcoming DLCs, it's a mission not an entire narrative arc.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
It isn't good enough to be sold separately on its own, which is why it's part of a bundle that includes a season pass and 2 upcoming DLCs, it's a mission not an entire narrative arc.
You don't know that because no one has seen it or played it outside of Ubisoft.

Again I ask...would Elden Ring be a worse game if Erdtree was sold alongside it at launch?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
This guy has ZERO understanding the difference between expansion and day one DLC.

To put it another way, would Elden Ring be a worse game if it released simultaneously alongside Erdtree DLC?
If that would happen we wouldn't be getting base game until this year because AGIAN Shadow of the Erdtree is BIG expansion, in fact this FROM's biggest expansion yet.

Do you truly dont understand between expansion and day one DLC mission?

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
If that would happen we wouldn't be getting base game until this year because AGIAN Shadow of the Erdtree is BIG expansion, in fact this FROM's biggest expansion yet.

Do you truly dont understand between expansion and day one DLC mission?
They both require time, money, and man hours.

Why do you feel entitled to demand content for free? You should never act entitled.

Danjin44

modern gaming lol.
You say that and yet "modern games" like Stellar Blade doesn't pull this crap even tho their previous game was GaaS mobile game.

Play games before judging their value.
I played FROM pervious expansion to know they will deliver and worth the asking price, I dont need to waste money to know what this Day one DLC actually is, you have to be blind not to know.

But hey its your money, you can do whatever the fuck you want with it.

Last edited:

near

Gold Member
They both require time, money, and man hours.

Why do you feel entitled to demand content for free? You should never act entitled.
Just stop. $70 is not free. Your whole argument relies on the Jabba mission actually being significant enough to be priced separately. The time and money angle you're taking with this makes no sense because this mission is being released along with the base game, meaning they share a production schedule and budget. It's not a separate project. lmao

Play games before judging their value.
Sometimes sound reasoning and logic can help you deduce fact from fiction.

Danjin44

Just stop. $70 is not free. Your whole argument relies on the Jabba mission actually being significant enough to be priced separately. The time and money angle you're taking with this makes no sense because this mission is being released along with the base game, meaning they share a production schedule and budget. It's not a separate project. lmao

Sometimes sound reasoning and logic can help you deduce fact from fiction.
Let me remind you that you are trying to reason with a person who made thread like this.

MiguelItUp

Day one DLC mission is not even same scale as expansion like Shadow of Erdtree.
Yeah, there's a huge difference between an internal roadmap that is actively working towards future DLC after the game releases, versus day one DLC of any form that easily could've (and should've) been present in the game. It's just another desperate attempt to get people to pay more (or preorder in some cases).

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Just stop. $70 is not free. Your whole argument relies on the Jabba mission actually being significant enough to be priced separately.
Yes! Finally! You're getting it! Judge content based on its value to you! I've been saying this all along. My brother in Christ it's good to have you!
The time and money angle you're taking with this makes no sense because this mission is being released along with the base game, meaning they share a production schedule and budget. It's not a separate project. lmao
They budgeted the base game based on their ability to sell this DLC alongside it at launch. The industry has been shouting this from the rooftops for the longest time and some of you are sticking your head in the sand.

As budgets go up, so too must sales potential/ceiling. Business 101 ya Commie ****ards!

Danjin44

Yes! Finally! You're getting it! Judge content based on its value to you! I've been saying this all along. My brother in Christ it's good to have you!

They budgeted the base game based on their ability to sell this DLC alongside it at launch. The industry has been shouting this from the rooftops for the longest time and some of you are sticking your head in the sand.

As budgets go up, so too must sales potential/ceiling. Business 101 ya Commie ****ards!
giphy.gif

Majormaxxx

They are greedy fucks. It's not budgeting.

hemo memo

Gold Member
This isn’t new to Ubisoft or the industry. Worst offender was locking a mission behind specific physical retailer.

digdug2

So if they artificially delayed the content for a length of time and sold it at a later date, you'd be fine with it?
If consumers didn't know that they held the content back, that makes it a totally different story. If it ever were to get out that this happened though, cue up the pitchforks and torches.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Almost as crazy as comparing a legitimate expansion released like three years after the game came out to a cash grab mission locked day one behind a season pass.
Bingo.

Only I'm not doing that because I haven't seen or played the Jabba The Hutt content. That's what y'all are doing.

Danjin44

Only I'm not doing that because I haven't seen or played the Jabba The Hutt content. That's what y'all are doing.
Even without playing its very easy to see what this day one DLC mission is. If this was significant content it wouldn't be day one DLC and would have asked you to pay more.

Have you played CP2077? Remember after Edgrunner anime they released free mission about those character in the show? CPR give it for free because it honestly they didn't put that effort in to it, now imagine if actually charge you money for it.

near

Gold Member
this game has a season pass?? I thought it was a single player campaing, wtf!
It is a single player campaign. It's not your GaaS sort of season pass, it's one that is essentially a pre-order for the upcoming DLC with a couple of immediate perks. 1 additional mission not included in base game at launch, some outfits/cosmetics, plus two future narrative expansion DLCs. I suppose you save a bit of money buying the season pass now if you're sold on it completely.

JayK47

They are trying really hard to get me to pass on this game or wait for it to be nearly free 4 years from now. Or wait for the mods to improve character model, assuming that is not hate speech on Nexus.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Even without playing its very easy to see what this day one DLC mission is. If this was significant content it wouldn't be day one DLC and would have asked you to pay more.
How many people worked on it and how long did it take them?

CPR give it for free because it honestly they didn't put that effort in to it, now imagine if actually charge you money for it.
I'd be as upset with them as when they released Phantom Liberty and I didn't buy it...IE not mad at all.

Danjin44

How many people worked on it and how long did it take them?
How many people you need to make a single side quest for a game? That many.
I'd be as upset with them as when they released Phantom Liberty and I didn't buy it...IE not mad at all.
Again you are comparing expansion that gives you more than 40-50 hours play time compare to mission DLC that will last you less than an hour.

Have you not played any expansion on your life?

Bingo.

You don’t need to play something to know a mission is nowhere near as substantial as a proper expansion that took years after the game is out to create. This is one of many missions in the game, they just cut it out and put it behind the season pass to squeeze more money out.

I just noticed your tag though, high quality trolling. You baited a lot of us.

Oh man I'm about to defend Ubisoft a bit here..

I mean this is pretty messed up, but if you consider what we know about Disney and how much of a cut they expect from game sales, and how much the game has to sell to meet that demand.. Like this isn't Ubisoft using their own IP. They need to meet their expectations, and the expectations of the IP holder in Disney.

I'm seeing this narrative emerge online that this is Ubisoft being greedy, and I just don't think I agree with that take. I think this is more of a.. project that started when the game market was on the upswing. Now it's launching at a time of decline and inflation, and they have a huge hole to dig out of to make back dev cost and appease Disney. In short, this is more complicated than it seems, I think Ubisoft is in an unfortunate position and know that their sales projections at $70 won't make ends meet, so they have to incentivize a percentage of customers toward a higher cost of entry.

Anyway, doesn't matter, if you don't like the practice, vote with your wallet and don't buy the game. But the hard economics around game development and the current market are what they are, these companies have to recoup costs, or lower the costs of development, which means lower quality games. So. idk.. I mean if the base game had everything in it, why would anyone buy the $110 version right? And they need some people to spend more because the general gaming public isn't going to be willing to go above the already steep $70. So how do you get some folks to buy in? You put exclusive shit in it.

Let's see how the game does. Bottom line. Video game market isn't growing year over year. Inflation is growing. Dev costs are growing. Star Wars IP costs buckets. So, you gotta make that back, so you squeeze your existing customers for more. If this turns off enough people, you won't 'fix' the problem, instead you'll have game companies look to lower those upfront costs. Less developers, less time, less IP projects. More Helldivers, less Spiderman. Not necessarily a bad thing, but everything has a cost bro.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
How many people you need to make a single side quest for a game? That many.
So you have no idea.
Again you are comparing expansion that gives you more than 40-50 hours play time compare to mission DLC that will last you less than an hour.
No. Again, all I'm comparing are things that require time, money, and talent to make.

Have you not played any expansion on your life?
Irrelevant.

Top Bottom