• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starbreeze conference May 10: Walking Dead, System Shock 3, Psychonauts 2... [Over]

OldMuffin

Yeah SS3 will be payday in space lol.

Does anyone know how long this is supposed to be? Don't want to watch this for 2 hours just to see them talk about SS3 for 5 minutes...
You joke but if it happens.... while we at it, psychonauts is payday but inception.

Wamb0wneD

I'd imagine it's about an hour given they only have three games left judging by the image.

Edit:

Maybe four. We haven't seen anything from Soap Interactive, right?

Not that I know of no. Well, let's hope for somethign exciting then...

You joke but if it happens.... while we at it, psychonauts is payday but inception.

I'd buy that!

Also. I know I know, port begging yadda yadda but Psychonauts 2 on Switch would be really cool. Guess if that happens it's an E3 thing though.

I still can't believe Vin Diesel started up Starbreeze to create a Chronicles of Riddick game, and look where it is now absolutely amazing.

Edit: sorry mixed up starbreeze with Tigon studio.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Ok, a twin stick competitive shooter, they can't say PayDay 2 again. I mean, how could th-

*PD2 masks announced*

DAMN IT

ActWan

Nice concept arts, I love listening to Warren. Sounds like he wants to shake the industry up like he did with the previous 2, I hope it'll work for him and we'll see something revolutionary. He's definitely still ambitious...
It'll probably arrive next gen.

jmizzal

I wonder if RAID: WORLD WAR II is coming to Switch, they said they had another 4 player co-op shooter coming

Edit

nvm that was Sabar who said that

but Payday 2 is coming to Switch

Starbreeze bought an engine company and moved their internal projects over to the new engine, so I suspect that was a lot of the delay.

Where did they get the money for all this expansion - were they bought by a larger company or something? Outside of Payday 2 I don't even think they've had a hit game, have they?!

Say what you want about pre-order culture but I'd probably have put money down on Psychonauts 2 if they hadn't taken so long delivering Broken Age.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Where did they get the money for all this expansion - were they bought by a larger company or something? Outside of Payday 2 I don't even think they've had a hit game, have they?!

PayDay 1 sold over 4 million copies and then PayDay 2 sold over 8 million copies and gazillions of copies of DLC.

Dead By Daylight is also around ~2 million, which is a project they published.

They had investments from 505 Games, but the games ultimately funded them way past that and they even bought the rights back from 505.

TimFL

> OVERKILL's The Walking Dead
> 4+ years in the making
> 4 concept art images, a floating head, "coop shooter with focus on replayability... there is loot!"... "PAYDAY2 with zombies!"
> "Back to you Jim!"
> Jim: "Wow that was exciting!"

ok... ?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Well I think we can all agree that was the most exhilarating press conference since the oral reading of the full procedures of generally accepted accounting principles.

So, they announce that Storm is in development but it's some kind of esports co-op FPS VR... thing? I'm completely confused.

Wasn't it always supposed to be Payday in space?

KDR_11k

Anyword of Payday 3 or was only 2 mentioned?

PD3 isn't in the cards yet, since Raid is basically Payday WW2 that may be the next focus. After all it's much easier to tell people why they should move on from their DLCed up platform of a game if the new game completely changes the setting...

Zukkoyaki

They're really chasing the service model and gameplay formula of Payday 2. Not necessarily a bad idea, but based on this conference what they said throughout there may not be enough variety in their line-up. Raid? Payday in WWII! Walking Dead? Payday with zombies!

Nothing wrong with pursuing a service-based business model but what's the point if their games are super similar? Dead by Daylight is a good example of mixing things up. Not to mention releasing a successful service game is tough and unpredictable. Payday has been super successful but you can't expect to be able to recreate that again and again.

At least System Shock, Psychonauts and maybe something from the Brothers team are on the way. So they aren't putting all of their eggs in one basket. Starbreeze playing it smart!

Lady Gaia

Well, we have a conference unveiling the game, and the thread about it has generated 3 replies in six minutes, so I can't blame people for not trying earlier.

To be fair, the way the sequel has been unveiled and promoted makes it hard to get too excited about it being a true successor to System Shock. Sure, they got the brand and no doubt mean well but it's clear a lot of the talent that made System Shock special has scattered to the winds and there aren't exactly deep pockets behind the project. I'll gladly check out anything they release about the game but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Any new gameplay shown for SS3?
No. Just some concept arts shown.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/141540011?t=1h38m20s

This is Warren Spector and the OtherSide team at concept phase. They're going into pre-production phase soon ("that's when reality smacks you in the face and you know what game you can really make"). He came into this interview to talk about the game early on. This is still years away.

I'm into Warren Spector and Tim Schafer just chatting it up, so I don't mind.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/141540011?t=2h15m20s

He does describe the oft-heard One City Block RPG that is his dream game that no publisher is crazy enough to give him enough money to make that is simulated with focus on non-combat AI (which actually now reminds me of how The Occupation by White Paper Games is going to be but that's just a few buildings).

So... Storm is basically the new name for Cold Mercury, Stormbreeze's own Duke Nukem Forever FeatureCreepapalooza?

Aaand they've decided "Let's make it VR Laser Tag instead"?

...They know that That's been done, right? And it costs About $50US for a 45 minute session?

Well, good luck to them, I guess.

Really was hoping to see some of Shock3 and Psychonauts 2, but eeeh.

Two games down, zero game trailer.

Is this some sort of art lecture class?

Kind of a strange decision to have a live stream but not show any game play of their games.

I feel like these interviews would be a lot more interesting if there was some gameplay footage and everyone involved didn't look like they were held there against their will.

Really bummed on the lack of footage so far.

They're wasting too much time on these discussions. Booorrrinnnggg.

Why do some people hype themselves to expect new gameplay or footage of games just because the developers are doing an interview live? Nowhere do they promise such things (read the OP, it's a discussion panel), but just because we're so used to shows like E3 or conventions showing off new gameplay on this long path of the marketing campaign (E3 trailer->gameplay demo->playable at conventions->trailers->second gameplay demo->launch trailer), that now we expect footage all the time. It's like people don't care about the actual people making the games, just show your game off, stop talking! Who cares about your design goals or history or views on publishers.

We all know System Shock 3 and Psychonauts 2 are not on that stage of the marketing campaign. The only thing of System Shock 3 we know is it's been announced that it's a thing, it's in concept phase, and there is an art prototype of Psychonauts 2. These are still not AAA games where they have a dedicated marketing team to show off the game while the developers work. Just chill lol.

Top Bottom