• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stardew Valley sold more than 20 million copies (PC sold more than all consoles combined)

kingfey

Banned
beard GIF

jaysius

Banned
Great stuff, hopefully his next project is even more fun, with maybe more unique events and items, and possibly less grind for the good stuff, or a rebalance of the grind to make it more fun.

I enjoy the start-midgame of Stardew Valley, but like almost every other indie out there, the game design time was poured into the start and then the mid-late part is just the typical "keep writing until test time runs out" mentality.

Holammer

It's funny how ConcernedApe is raking in money while Story of Season or Harvest Moon fail spectacularly to make waves at all.
Just look at Steam user reviews as a metric

460,441 - Stardew valley
3,879 STORY OF SEASONS: Friends of Mineral Town
1,817 DORAEMON STORY OF SEASONS
1,024 Harvest Moon: Light of Hope Special Edition
701 STORY OF SEASONS: Pioneers of Olive Town
36 Harvest Moon: One World

200.gif

This is order of magnitude. Nothing comes close to Stardew, with the exception of My Time at Portia with 36,649 user reviews, but even that is far off.
I vote for Tengo Project doing a remake/re-imaging of Harvest Moon from the SNES with the same care they put into Kikikaikai/Pocky & Rocky Reshrined. That would sell millions.

Last edited:

MadPanda

Banned
I don't know if anyone has read Jason's book, there's a chapter about stardew valley. It's a fascinating read and big props to the people who supported him during the initial development.

jimmypython

Very well deserved! For me, this is the only farm game I will ever need to play lol

I just hope the console versions will receive a mouse and keyboard support patch...

Last edited:

Filben

Well deserved. It offers so much to explore and unravel and doesn't force you to do anything. You can't really fail at the game.

While the combat is its biggest flaw, you can easily skip it or keep it at a bare minimum.

But the amount of unique events for EVERY NPC, end game content, multiplayer options (local, shared network, online; hop in and out, Steam Share play option so only one player has to own the game) with different difficulty and play styles (shared or separate income; reduced profits for balancing if you wish so); customising; it's amazing what this guy managed while AAA studios struggle with these kind of things because they always go for better graphics and bigger worlds.

You can also play literally anywhere, on mobile, on the Switch, other consoles, PC/Steam Deck.

I jumped in late to party, I think it was 2019, because I thought it was overrated. Funny to think of it, that sometimes good critiques and reviews and high sales actually turn you off. But I was wrong and fell immediately in love with the game. And with mods it's even better although I keep the modding to a minimum.

So many farming sims released since then and yet none surpass SV for me. I've tried so many and there's always something I wish were there and doesn't quite make it.

However, there are still more to come, like Roots of Pacha, I'm excited about. Expectations are really high though and SV is still the benchmark for me.

Pejo

For someone that's never tried one of these farm sim games, what do you guys recommend as the best jumping in point? I'd like something with some combat to mix up the gameplay a bit. I'm not sure I could get fully invested in just raising crops full time.

WoJ

I played this game on my tablet a little bit last summer and really enjoyed it, so I picked it up on console. I really want to dive into it some more. There is just a ton of charm in the game from what I have seen.

Holammer

For someone that's never tried one of these farm sim games, what do you guys recommend as the best jumping in point? I'd like something with some combat to mix up the gameplay a bit. I'm not sure I could get fully invested in just raising crops full time.
Just get Stardew Valley on your system of choice. I usually prefer to play with gamepad, but this one really works best with m+kb.

Top Bottom