• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield Constellation Edition will ship only with Digital Code. Base release has disk.

Banned
Maybe but as a collector myself I would not want a disc where only half the game is on it. And also like somebody said above, the game's going to require so many patches that even if the entire game were on disc, which is extremely unlikely, it's going to be a buggy mess and you're going to need some serious internet access.

But I hear you. Some people are just going to want it for the disk itself I guess.

I mean if the whole game is on the disc, and it's the 1.0 version, that also has some collector's value I imagine.

that way you'll have a preserved copy of the original gold master, like the og version of The Last Guardian, which has apparently a gamebreaking bug, but is interesting due to the missing framerate lock.

download only games will always download the newest version, so those get lost to time if not on disc

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
that was a concession made for the crossgen period, but now it has no purpose anymore.

so it should be the perfect timing to switch to UHDs now

Right, like I said, I think new-gen only games might be doing that. Jedi Survivor as an example of a game which has far more than 50GB copied off the disc.

Flight Sim ships on 2 discs and its install size is well above 100GB as well.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I mean if the whole game is on the disc, and it's the 1.0 version, that also has some collector's value I imagine.

that way you'll have a preserved copy of the original gold master, like the og version of The Last Guardian, which has apparently a gamebreaking bug, but is interesting due to the missing framerate lock.
I see what you're saying but I seriously doubt the entire game is going to be on disc considering how huge they're making the sound.

I forgot, but wasn't one of the more recent games and I think it was Jedi Survivor, that required an extra 50 GB download because the entire game couldn't be fit on disc?

Banned
Right, like I said, I think new-gen only games might be doing that. Jedi Survivor as an example of a game which has far more than 50GB copied off the disc.

Flight Sim ships on 2 discs and its install size is well above 100GB as well.

I mean a 50GB disc can have more than 50GB of data on it. compression can squeeze out some extra GB during installation

Last edited:

killatopak

Gold Member
Nooooo! Not my barely playable unpatched discerinos! What will I ever theoretically do! Despite being extremely online to the point I post on enthusiast gaming forums, having a physical copy of games for times I don't have internet service (which is never) is of the utmost importance!
You say that but I've a lot stuff done with 1.0 games. RDR2 gold bar duplication and horse taming. Cyberpunk unique items location which are now random and painting dupes. GTA Vice City/San Andreas unpatched soundtracks. Oghma Infinium, Whiterun store chest in the walls in Skyrim.

Best part is you can patch your game AFTER you did those glitches.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I mean a 50GB disc can have more than 50GB of data on it. compression can squeeze out some extra GB during installation
Perhaps but we see what happened with, I think it was, Jedi Survivor. And this is going to be way bigger than that.

Edit: oops, I thought you were replying to me in that last one.

Last edited:
Just liek the Diablo IV Collector's Edition.

That's so dumb lolol

I can't believe I'm saying this, but fucking Blizzard actually did it better than both Microsoft and Sony. The Diablo 4 Collector's Box doesn't come with a disc or digital code and this is reflected in the price being substantially lower than for example Spider-Man 2 and Starfield Collector's editions. So basically you can get the D4 collector's and then whichever SKU for the game you prefer (e.g. either the standard physical version or the digital version for PSN/Xbox/Battlenet).

Last edited:
What a joke. A friendly reminder that Rockstar released RDR2 with 2 discs and people seemed pretty OK with that.

wp_20181025_10_48_53_p0ctl.jpg

Nydius

Gold Member
I see the goal posts are being moved, as per usual around here. Now the argument is "well the whole game isn't going to be on a disk, so physical is pointless". :rolleyes: Proving people still miss the point.

Whether the whole game is on the disk or not is irrelevant. The mere existence of a physical copy means access to consumer copyright protections -- namely the right of first sale, aka the ability to resell, give away, or do whatever the fuck you want with the copy of the game. Even if the game itself is just an installer disk. You don't get that option whatsoever in the digital space. It's one of those areas where copyright law needs to catch up (but never will, because it favors corporations who have legislators in their pockets).

Beyond that, the existence of physical copies, even if, like Halo Infinite, there's only a mere few GB on the disk, means there will also be pricing competition that you simply don't get in console digital walled gardens. Again, I point to Cyberpunk 2077 as a prime example of this. The cheapest I've ever seen it hit on PSN or Xbox Store was $19.99 IIRC, with $24.99 being the most frequent sale price. Physical copies have sold for as low as $10. During the first year of the game, aka its clusterfuck phase, Best Buy dropped it down to $5 three times -- with the steelbook.

With console digital you can't resell, can't trade, can barely share using loopholes that they will eventually close (the "Home Xbox" trick), and end up paying more for. I don't give a shit if the Starfield disk only has 20GB on it -- the mere fact that I'll be able to buy it cheaper from other retailers and can then give it away or sell it afterward makes it far more valuable than the "convenience" of digital.

Last edited:

MrA

Physical copies are pointless.. waste of materials, effort, net negative environmentally
Yet you probably play on a 200 to 800 watt device, anyone aiming environmental better be a switch or better phone only player as your overpowered electricity pits use way more oil,
An xsx or ps5 will burn through more resources than a disk in a typical days use and a high end pc can do more in an hour

Ozriel

M$FT
OP and thread title need updating

What a joke. A friendly reminder that Rockstar released RDR2 with 2 discs and people seemed pretty OK with that.

A friendly reminder that it’s always good to at least do some cursory skimming of the thread before hitting the reply button. Not just going by OP alone.

This really sucks if this is legitimate. I was actually planning on buying this on disc even if it’s on Gamepass. Sorry, I just don’t feel right paying $70 for a stupid digital code. These companies are really shoving this digital era down our throats and I can’t believe people are actually embracing it.

Last edited:

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
I see the goal posts are being moved, as per usual around here. Now the argument is "well the whole game isn't going to be on a disk, so physical is pointless". :rolleyes: Proving people still miss the point.

Whether the whole game is on the disk or not is irrelevant. The mere existence of a physical copy means access to consumer copyright protections -- namely the right of first sale, aka the ability to resell, give away, or do whatever the fuck you want with the copy of the game. Even if the game itself is just an installer disk. You don't get that option whatsoever in the digital space. It's one of those areas where copyright law needs to catch up (but never will, because it favors corporations who have legislators in their pockets).

Beyond that, the existence of physical copies, even if, like Halo Infinite, there's only a mere few GB on the disk, means there will also be pricing competition that you simply don't get in console digital walled gardens. Again, I point to Cyberpunk 2077 as a prime example of this. The cheapest I've ever seen it hit on PSN or Xbox Store was $19.99 IIRC, with $24.99 being the most frequent sale price. Physical copies have sold for as low as $10. During the first year of the game, aka its clusterfuck phase, Best Buy dropped it down to $5 three times -- with the steelbook.

With console digital you can't resell, can't trade, can barely share using loopholes that they will eventually close (the "Home Xbox" trick), and end up paying more for. I don't give a shit if the Starfield disk only has 20GB on it -- the mere fact that I'll be able to buy it cheaper from other retailers and can then give it away or sell it afterward makes it far more valuable than the "convenience" of digital.
The Rock Applause GIF

Yoboman

Gold Member
Bethesda physical and collectors edition releases are usually the stuff of comedy legend so let's see how this plays out. Remember the Fallout canvas bags?

EDMIX

Seriously, the future is fucking dire for physical.

Yea....so Pre-order cancelled and I'm pissed cause I even contacted Best Buy asking about what was in the PC version when I pre-ordered cause the pre-order literally said "physical". They told me it was physical too, but I can't really blame Best Buy as they are merely repeating what is given to them and down own MS or Bethesda or anything like that.

Massively anti-consumer and pointless to sell a fucking box knowing its merely a code to something, folks buying it are under the impression they are buying the PHYSICAL DISK with the game on it. I get it for online only type titles, but this is a single player game.

Tweet was deleted. Hopefully a mistake
Hopefully
I’m getting digital anyway, but that sucks for anyone who dislikes digital and wants the game of the generation in physical form.

Thanks bruvs, I've owned all their games on physical for PC, as Skyrim's original 11/11/11 launch, I have the PC version on disk and wanted to do the same for Starfield. I have nothing against digital, but for many AAA games, if they have a disk version on PC, that is usually what I choose to get and was hype to hear this had a physical version for PC.

This has been debunked. Standard edition will have disc. Collectors edition will have a code instead.

^ I hope thats the case as I'll re-pre-order the PC version if thats the case lol

I even went out of my way to contact Best Buy to show them and ask them this when I pre-ordered a few weeks ago to make sure

3BmOrFv.png

Pallas

Let’s not forget Cyberpunk 2077 either, it also had two disc if Im remembering it correctly. Which is fine, I like to think we are passed the days of swapping discs in the middle of gameplay.

My opinion though, they will hopefully release a physical version, so I’m gonna believe espanol Bethesda.

Also Starfield isn’t the first, by a long shot to exclude a physical copy of the game with their collector editions.

Success

Phil, don't tell me this is true.

I defended you on this forum from all of this salacious slander.

Somebody, please post the Jim Ryan laughing me.

This is a sad day of gaming.

EDIT: Wait! I got baited by the first post. The thread title cites the Collectors Edition and not the Standard Edition.

If the Standard Edition is still physical then it's not that big of a deal.

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Yea....so Pre-order cancelled and I'm pissed cause I even contacted Best Buy asking about what was in the PC version when I pre-ordered cause the pre-order literally said "physical". They told me it was physical too, but I can't really blame Best Buy as they are merely repeating what is given to them and down own MS or Bethesda or anything like that.

Massively anti-consumer and pointless to sell a fucking box knowing its merely a code to something, folks buying it are under the impression they are buying the PHYSICAL DISK with the game on it. I get it for online only type titles, but this is a single player game.

Hopefully

Thanks bruvs, I've owned all their games on physical for PC, as Skyrim's original 11/11/11 launch, I have the PC version on disk and wanted to do the same for Starfield. I have nothing against digital, but for many AAA games, if they have a disk version on PC, that is usually what I choose to get and was hype to hear this had a physical version for PC.

^ I hope thats the case as I'll re-pre-order the PC version if thats the case lol

I even went out of my way to contact Best Buy to show them and ask them this when I pre-ordered a few weeks ago to make sure

3BmOrFv.png

this is either gonna be an MS store copy or a bethesda launcher copy even if there's a disc. it's not gonna be DRM free. what's the point? all the mods will be targeting the steam version.

StereoVsn

I'm planning on buying the game from green man. Is that different than what you are talking about?

There are some other vendors with the game as well.
Oh, interesting, it's Steam DRM. Usually MS games like Forza, Halo, Flight Simulator don't have external Steam codes.

Rockondevil

This would turn me off the collectors if I was planning on getting it.
If the standard didn’t have a disc I’d definitely not get it as a normal consumer as I prefer to trade in gsmes eventually.

However I’ll be game passing it anyway.

sachos

Not surprising given Xbox's awful track record of physical releases and DRM shit. But then they come out talking about how they care about preservation.
EDIT: So apparently it DOES come on disc after all? Thats better for sure since it enables reselling/lending, now let's go for full preservation/ownsersship and hope its playable from disc without the need for patch/downloads (something that all recent physical Xbox releases suck at).

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I'm guessing it didn't fit on a disc and they didn't want to kill their margins with multiple discs. Kinda lame, especially for those users who have limited internet access or live in firewalled countries, but doesn't impact my life as someone who is gonna play it on PC via GamePass

StereoVsn

Or get it 5 days early with the digital deluxe. That's my plan. :messenger_sunglasses:
Lol, I am not getting Bethesda games early. I suspect bug galore at release with Day 1 patch, no point jumping in early till at least some mods rolled out for encumbrance and inventory.

Topher

Gold Member
Lol, I am not getting Bethesda games early. I suspect bug galore at release with Day 1 patch, no point jumping in early till at least some mods rolled out for encumbrance and inventory.

lol...I hear ya my man. As for me.....I bought Star Citizen too....

Matthew Broderick GIF

Top Bottom