• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield ESRB Rating Hints At Microtransactions

gokurho

Starfield-ESRB.jpg

The rating page states:

“In-Game Purchases(PC,Xbox Series)”
Games that include this point from the ESRB usually come with microtransactions in some form. These may be limited to different currencies that can be bought, cosmetic items, battle passes, and more.

However, Starfield’s implementation is still a mystery. Bethesda Game Studios has previously introduced the creation club for games like Fallout 4 and The Elder Scrolls 5, serving as a store with its currency.

The creation club includes content like cosmetic items, gameplay additions, and more. Bethesda approves these items and can also be developed with third parties.

As such, the creation club will likely return for Starfield. Bethesda could utilize the platform to sell customization for spaceships, gear for playable characters, and more.
With the possibility of microtransactions, fans are always worried about these add-ons getting in the way of gameplay or potentially introducing pay-to-win mechanics. This seems unlikely for Starfield, but only time will tell how the developer implements them.

Elsewhere, the ESRB rating hints at weapons like futuristic guns, lasers, and axes. As such, fans can look forward to plenty of variety in their arsenal. The rating also points to fast-paced combat.

Starfield will be available on Xbox Series S|X and PC platforms, along with Xbox Game Pass. The game will be released on September 6, marking an important date for both Xbox and Bethesda Game Studios.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Fallout had this and didn’t launch day one on GamePass. Lots of games launch on GamePass and don’t have this type of stuff.
The AAA games? They all have it in some form or another. Whether it be DLC that you have to buy since it's not included in the "free" version (FH5), or skin packs (Hi-Fi Rush), etc.. It's the nature of these services that all are not immune to.

The AAA games? They all have it in some form or another. Whether it be DLC that you have to buy since it's not included in the "free" version (FH5), or skin packs (Hi-Fi Rush), etc.. It's the nature of these services that all are not immune to.

Ah yes yes, I miss the days when AAA games launched and didn’t have expansions like Forza Horizon 3. We just saw a Horizon FW expansion, I guess that’s a result of the game being in PS+ Premium or whatever. Because we all know Horizon ZD had no expansions.

GamePass continues to be the GAF boogeyman 😆😆

Last edited:

Banned
bethesda has their weird store in all current games and ports of older games.
so this was to be expected.

as long as they support mods, both on Xbox and PC, it doesn't really matter

I mean, it's on gamepass day one. They need to milking it somehow. I still remember Forza Horizon 5... Microsoft: PAY to PLAY EARLY (bullshit). I'm not gonna be surprised if they do the same with Starfield.

I mean, it's on gamepass day one. They need to milking it somehow. I still remember Forza Horizon 5... Microsoft: PAY to PLAY EARLY (bullshit). I'm not gonna be surprised if they do the same with Starfield.

Another post trying to tie GamePass to some monetization method that already existed long before GamePass and exists for lots of games outside of it. I can’t think of any Nintendo games that have had it but the other two do it, as do loads of third party.

Are people just gonna get annoyed about every possible thing with this game? Like if skyrim came out today with it’s bugs, and average graphics, 30fps, bad dialogue/sub-par story, odd combat and AI - I feel like people would absolutely tear it apart as trash — I expect an improvement over Skyrim of course but I don’t expect them to somehow be top of the line in areas where they’re historically not top of the line.

Three

Obvious they would do this. They know a big chunk of engagement will be from gamepass.
It's creation for mods.

It makes no sense for Bethesda to implement mtx, since they allow mods.
"In game purchases" means things you buy and it's put in the rating so that parents can't complain that their kids racked up the credit card bill since they were warned.

I think a big part of GamePass working with AAA games revolves around microtransactions. Basically, a middle ground between free-to-play and typical purchased games.

With AAA games costing into the hundreds of millions to produce, publishers will be looking for more ways to monetize their games, and disguising it beyond simply raising prices.

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
Obvious they would do this. They know a big chunk of engagement will be from gamepass.

"In game purchases" means things you buy and it's put in the rating so that parents can't complain that their kids racked up the credit card bill since they were warned.
I think you need to look at Skyrim.
They have creations club, which you buy mods content.

Mtx is useless for Bethesda games due to mods.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Are people just gonna get annoyed about every possible thing with this game? Like if skyrim came out today with it’s bugs, and average graphics, 30fps, bad dialogue/sub-par story, odd combat and AI - I feel like people would absolutely tear it apart as trash — I expect an improvement over Skyrim of course but I don’t expect them to somehow be top of the line in areas where they’re historically not top of the line.

We don't do this around here

But yes...if it was owned by MS and exclusive we would.

mdkirby

I wouldn't be surprised. I expect its hard to justify spending what I can only assume will be at least half a billion developing a game, only to then give it away pretty much 'for free' as part of gamespass :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Edit - seriously tho, I think its most likely what others have suggested, and it'll be creation club stuff

Last edited:

Kacho

Bethesda RPGs have always been scrutinized but it will go into overdrive now that it's console exclusive on Xbox. It's why we're seeing comments like, "of course there's MTX now, it's on Game Pass!" ignoring the fact that Bethesda RPGs have had Creation Club content since Fallout 4. They even retroactively added that stuff to Skyrim a few years ago. This is nothing new or unexpected, but forum bros gotta eat.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
“In-Game Purchases(PC,Xbox Series)”
I could be wrong but isn’t most game that has DLC or expansion has this? It doesn’t necessarily mean the game will have microtransactions.

Last edited:
I want to play this game as Todd Howard but my character creator skills are not good at all.

Hopefully there will be a tutorial.

zomboden

Banned
After Hogwarts and Diablo 4 I think we are going to see more “Pay to play early”. games.

I bet they do this with Starfield.

Top Bottom