• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield has 'Mixed' reviews on Steam (Up: 'Recent' reviews are Mostly Negative)

JTCx

Nah....he was making a general comparison to other "divisive" games, not just on Steam.

"It’s a divisive game. Possibly the most divisive since Death Stranding. Cyberpunk was similar but that was broken on console which added to the negativity, on PC is was great, my GOTY."

That's controversial? Really?
So called "game of the gen" and "one of the most important rpg ever" aren't suppose to be divisive.

Topher

Gold Member
So called "game of the gen" and "one of the most important rpg ever" aren't suppose to be divisive.

Turns out this game was neither of those and very divisive. It is what it is.

Awkward John Krasinski GIF by Saturday Night Live

Fredrik

And here we are with yet more disingenuous comparisons.

Comparing the worst case scenario character animations/mocap in BG3 with the ones that are universal across the whole game in Starfield. All on a Steam Deck.

Bravo.
Yes all on Steam Deck on both games and believe me this is not a worst case scenario, I can record a new video I’m in the goblin camp, who do you want me to talk to? Shadowheart? Karlach? A goblin?

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Topher Topher My opinion on this is that people are entitled to like or dislike what they want, but flailing about and negging past games that have no relation to this game is just inexplicable to me except in some weird manipulative sense. It comes off like they're saying "you liked X game in the past, and it was also flawed so why can't you like this one too?".

It's this weird collective insistence that the general public should like the game (or at least not badmouth it) that really puts off people and brings out a stubbornness that worsens the perception of the game even more.

Like I said to DeepEnigma DeepEnigma , I'm not going down that rabbit hole. I disagreed with GHG GHG on a couple of very specific points and we won't see eye to eye on those. It's fine. However, seems I jumped unaware into a larger conversation comparing several games and I'm not going to get into all that.

Respect you all......

Im Out Shark Tank GIF by ABC Network

Last edited:

Calverz

You should try being familiar with the game you're attempting to criticise before doing so. There comes a point in the game where there's no reason to walk anywhere, and it happens quite early on.

The "trolling" starts when you try and be critical of other games in the context of where Starfield has landed in all of this, but in a way that comes across as insincere/disingenuous. But that's par for the course isn't it?

I'll say this - people should be able to defend the game without needing to try and drag highly acclaimed games from the last ~decade (and incorrectly mind you).

If it's not possible to do so then maybe people should be questioning what exactly they are attempting to defend and why they are doing so.

That's the point. One of those games has land vehicles to aid traversal, the other doesn't.

Which is why people attempting to slander other games in some vain attempt to prop up/defefend Starfield.

When you lack context but try your best.

Fail Patrick Star GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

To be honest, that still happens even when you do have context.
Gordon Ramsey Idiot GIF

GHG

Indeed you are.

Yes all on Steam Deck on both games and believe me this is not a worst case scenario, I can record a new video I’m in the goblin camp, who do you want me to talk to? Shadowheart? Karlach? A goblin?

You don't need to record anything, the quality of BG3 is known, no matter how much you try and disparage it in the name of propping up Starfield.

There are already a ton of videos on YouTube which are representative of the game.

Fredrik

You don't need to record anything, the quality of BG3 is known, no matter how much you try and disparage it in the name of propping up Starfield.

There are already a ton of videos on YouTube which are representative of the game.
I have ultra 4090 videos now but if you don’t want it just go look yourself. The lip sync inconsistency is there, sometimes spot on and sometimes less so, worse for some characters, better for others.

I’m sure there is some inconsistency in Starfield as well, or bugs that break it since it’s software, and emotions often look weird. But again what they have going is impressive and it could be pretty awesome if they let us use that for modding later.

I have no idea if this is all software or also animated, from a faction quest.

Last edited:
How does that apply to the original discussion that Death Stranding was brought up in?
You mean the part where it was stated to be divisive? I dunno, the part where I said that I liked a game like Starfield more does support Frederik's position that the acclaim for Death Stranding is not universal. Yes, Death Stranding didn't need to be brought into the general conversation but somehow a lot of people escalated an offhand comment as a central point of his argument.

Mr Moose

I have ultra 4090 videos now but if you don’t want it just go look yourself. The lip sync inconsistency is there, sometimes spot on and sometimes less so, worse for some characters, better for others.

I’m sure there is some inconsistency in Starfield as well, or bugs that break it since it’s software, and emotions often look weird. But again what they have going is impressive and it could be pretty awesome if they let us use that for modding later.

I have no idea if this is all software or also animated, from a faction quest.

The lip syncing/mouth movement looks bad in that video.

Fredrik

The lip syncing/mouth movement looks bad in that video.
Come on don’t be like that don’t get me to start posting videos for more games now. The tech is cool, I tried just moving up close and spam talk on a NPC with no conversation mechanic who were just repeating a few standard phrases and they all sync.

Mr Moose

Come on don’t be like that don’t get me to start posting videos for more games now. The tech is cool, I tried just moving up close and spam talk on a NPC with no conversation mechanic who were just repeating a few standard phrases and they all sync.
If that doesn't look weird to you then that's great. It just looks... Off? To me (the facial/mouth animations).
Edit: Do you have any BG3 videos? I don't own either game so I'd need to see a video to compare them. That might look weird to me too.

Last edited:

Fredrik

If that doesn't look weird to you then that's great. It just looks... Off? To me (the facial/mouth animations).
Too exaggerated mouth movements? I could agree to that 🤔 Still impressive software if there is no special tweaks going on there. Hopefully usable for mods so we can add whatever dialogue we want for whatever character we want.

Fredrik

Edit: Do you have any BG3 videos? I don't own either game so I'd need to see a video to compare them. That might look weird to me too.
I have many videos but I’m kinda over posting about it. BG3 goes for smaller mouth movements and sometimes small enough that you can’t read what is being said on the mouth which is what I think Starfield manage to do even if it is exaggerated.
Edit: I have tinnitus and partly read on lips so all this may be more important to me than others. I can often just listen and look on the character’s face in Starfield instead of alternate between the text and face.

Last edited:
My guess is the people are giving the game positive reviews after buying it in order to justify the purchase, but suddenly notice that the game really isn't that good after all.

Its on gamepass.

There is literally no reason to play it if you don’t like it. It won’t even get added to your backlog.

knguyen

? Well...I bought the game day 1, nothing from what I'm playing is that different then what was shown in the trailer and gameplay walkthrough

In fact, list the differences of this "different game" that you are talking about in the first place.

Nothing in their marketing is just making up a bunch of different shit that isn't in the final game in regards to factual objective features.

Sorry man, you have to fucking prove your point here.

Like what?

What ways specifically, with links and proof. =)

Shit, I feel the game is a 7/10 game, I even stated before the games release that knowing how the studio works, not only is this feasible and doable, but nothing really Earth shattering, its not even revolunary or that brand new in regards to any new concepts or features, but I'm fully ok with that as its not as if they've ever claimed it was suppose to be by lying about a bunch of features or something.
Go back and watch all of their carefully edited devs interviews, they were not made to show off the features of the game, they were made to manipulate gamers. Gameplay walkthrough? you call those janky 5 seconds inserts of game footages in those interviews "gameplay walkthrough"? They treat their customers with bullshits, before and after the game out.

EDMIX

Go back and watch all of their carefully edited devs interviews, they were not made to show off the features of the game, they were made to manipulate gamers. Gameplay walkthrough? you call those janky 5 seconds inserts of game footages in those interviews "gameplay walkthrough"? They treat their customers with bullshits, before and after the game out.

I see...so, you have no actual evidence or proof or any link or objective fact regarding any of this?

You are merely saying something you purposefully disregard to go into specifics about.

When you can actually fucking provide an actual real, legit claim that we can look up and discuss, I'd love to hear about it.

It doesn't help your point when you are making a baseless claim, it merely comes across like you hate the game or the publisher or the gamers who like the game etc as to why you can't fucking give details of what you are talking about.

If you can't provide something tangible to support your point, i see no reason to continue any discussion, a thoughtful back and forth should be about factual, tangible, objective information that we can link, trace, provide examples of etc, so....we have to add you to that ignore bud

You didn't really come here to talk about this game, you came here to make fake claims =)

Last edited:

Fredrik

Alanah Pierce made a did they lie video and went through the showcase and concluded that everything Bethesda showed and said would be there was actually there.

Problem is they were vague on some things and left room for imagination to run wild and fill in the blanks.

Not sure it’s manipulation but it’s no doubt sneaky, there was lots of talk on boards and social and we know they do read the talk. They could’ve adressed the things they knew for sure wouldn’t be there.

Personally I would say that the modding talk was stretching the truth though. Was said to be a modder’s paradise but 4 months later the modding tools are still not out, there are tons of mods but all is currently done through standard hacks, often based on Skyrim mods, and that’s no paradise.

geary

Personally I would say that the modding talk was stretching the truth though. Was said to be a modder’s paradise but 4 months later the modding tools are still not out, there are tons of mods but all is currently done through standard hacks, often based on Skyrim mods, and that’s no paradise.
Actually the mentioned the official mod support is coming in 2024.

Additionally, we are working on our built-in mod support (Creations) that will work across all platforms similar to what we’ve done with Skyrim and Fallout 4. This full support is planned to launch early next year. Until then, we know our PC community is already very active in the modding space and if you have any feedback on how we can make this better, please let us know . Modding and creating in our games will always be a vital and important part of who we are, and we love seeing the community get off to such a strong start.

https://bethesda.net/en/article/3DK...eld-updates-and-mod-support-september-13-2023

Fredrik

Actually the mentioned the official mod support is coming in 2024.

https://bethesda.net/en/article/3DK...eld-updates-and-mod-support-september-13-2023
I know, but early next year could mean everything from January to like April, and I think many expected it to be there at or near launch when a big chunk of people were actually playing it.
This is my playtime graph
gROsAdZ.jpeg

I’ll be there for sure when the updates are coming but it’s easier to keep people around than luring them back.

Edit: Steam’s yearly stats are interesting, this is last year on Elden Ring.
oFDGmI1.jpeg

It actually peaked at the middle of the year. The cut-off during July was when I played Returnal. And I’m still playing Elden Ring, it’s 32% of my playtime this year. The drop off has been very slow compared to Starfield.
I do love Starfield though but updates are badly needed.

Last edited:

knguyen

I see...so, you have no actual evidence or proof or any link or objective fact regarding any of this?

You are merely saying something you purposefully disregard to go into specifics about.

When you can actually fucking provide an actual real, legit claim that we can look up and discuss, I'd love to hear about it.

It doesn't help your point when you are making a baseless claim, it merely comes across like you hate the game or the publisher or the gamers who like the game etc as to why you can't fucking give details of what you are talking about.

If you can't provide something tangible to support your point, i see no reason to continue any discussion, a thoughtful back and forth should be about factual, tangible, objective information that we can link, trace, provide examples of etc, so....we have to add you to that ignore bud

You didn't really come here to talk about this game, you came here to make fake claims =)
You think Bethesda come out and say we're gonna bullshit as much as it's legally possible get the number we need? If how they communicate to us, their consumers, before and after the game out is not bullshit and manipulated, I don't know what is. why would I need anything to support my claim about Bethesda being an asshole to their consumers? It's right there, playing in front of you right before the launch of the game until now. I don't hate people who bought the game, that makes no damn sense, but I surely don't like Todd and people who run Bethesda right now, dude is not much better than Phil.

Fredrik

There is so many cool sidequests on this game. The main plot is horrendous like every bethesda game but it has good sides.
There are many copy paste side quests as well. But I agree that the side activities in general can be cool, and there are a LOT of them. In my current playthrough I’ve spent over 130 hours building outposts and spaceships and doing side quests, factions, raids, etc. Only the very first main quest is done where you get the first ship.

Topher

Gold Member
There is so many cool sidequests on this game. The main plot is horrendous like every bethesda game but it has good sides.

I liked the main quest up until the big event happens and then it went to shit. The sidequests are generally ok at the very least. Don't think I had any that were just outright bad except for the Ryujin faction quest. That was bad.

EDMIX

There are many copy paste side quests as well. But I agree that the side activities in general can be cool, and there are a LOT of them. In my current playthrough I’ve spent over 130 hours building outposts and spaceships and doing side quests, factions, raids, etc. Only the very first main quest is done where you get the first ship.

Agreed.

There is something about their quest that you just stumble upon, sometimes not even listed anywhere, merely something you find that adds so much to the narrative. I don't care for the story, but was never going to give a shit about it, the meat, the bread and butter of their games is that side quest and world building stuff that just goes on to support the narrative.

Like I found a planet where I had to do something on it and I saw some building. Randomly went in and heard this loud banging sound by some type of machinery.. You go down a long hallway and looking at the rooms that's clear people lived in there for a bit and when you read the notes you're hearing about A family that is stuck there for some reason. They are waiting for some job to be complete and they need to keep the loud banging on to keep something away.

When you go to the end of this long structure you get to turn off the loud machinery. And then the Terrormorph shows up lol I already read about this creature early in the game's lore but it was fun to first encounter it this way.

This is not a quest, This is not something that has some deep heavy dialogue type thing, This is just one of those random things that exist in which it allows the world to tell some story in a very Resident Evil and fallout manner using objects inside of the world to support the narrative.

This also happens in derelict space stations on the game. Many don't fully understand this but this is one of the biggest reasons why I actually play their games for these type of random things that you encounter. The stuff where many of us will talk about it, mark the location on our maps to see what you saw lol

In this respect, many of us will have different playthroughs.

I had a random thing happen where I was fighting some space pirates, disabled their engines and boarded the ship (to be like a Bitch and stuff lol)

I fight and kill all of them and then I see someone was taken hostage lol He says that they boarded his ship and took it over and thanks me for saving him. Gives me some credits for my troubles, we leave his ship and he flies away.

This is the type of thing that Bethesda does really well in which I'm willing to overlook quite a bit for this experience, cause not many games to there are doing this exact thing.

Agreed.

There is something about their quest that you just stumble upon, sometimes not even listed anywhere, merely something you find that adds so much to the narrative. I don't care for the story, but was never going to give a shit about it, the meat, the bread and butter of their games is that side quest and world building stuff that just goes on to support the narrative.

Like I found a planet where I had to do something on it and I saw some building. Randomly went in and heard this loud banging sound by some type of machinery.. You go down a long hallway and looking at the rooms that's clear people lived in there for a bit and when you read the notes you're hearing about A family that is stuck there for some reason. They are waiting for some job to be complete and they need to keep the loud banging on to keep something away.

When you go to the end of this long structure you get to turn off the loud machinery. And then the Terrormorph shows up lol I already read about this creature early in the game's lore but it was fun to first encounter it this way.

This is not a quest, This is not something that has some deep heavy dialogue type thing, This is just one of those random things that exist in which it allows the world to tell some story in a very Resident Evil and fallout manner using objects inside of the world to support the narrative.

This also happens in derelict space stations on the game. Many don't fully understand this but this is one of the biggest reasons why I actually play their games for these type of random things that you encounter. The stuff where many of us will talk about it, mark the location on our maps to see what you saw lol

In this respect, many of us will have different playthroughs.

I had a random thing happen where I was fighting some space pirates, disabled their engines and boarded the ship (to be like a Bitch and stuff lol)

I fight and kill all of them and then I see someone was taken hostage lol He says that they boarded his ship and took it over and thanks me for saving him. Gives me some credits for my troubles, we leave his ship and he flies away.

This is the type of thing that Bethesda does really well in which I'm willing to overlook quite a bit for this experience, cause not many games to there are doing this exact thing.

I know which location you are talking about. I spent a lot of time going planet to planet exploring.

The moment i came across that, i felt these should be on more planets. Thats when I stopped playing the game after 100+ hrs. I will wait for them to release all content they plan to before picking it back up.

I simply want survival mode and more such moments. This will make planet to planet exploration very cool and frankly, is needed to realise potential they have in this game.

EDMIX

The moment i came across that, i felt these should be on more planets
I'm personally conflicted with this. I know many people made a big deal about the 1000 Planets, but the way I look at it is we have so many games That are more open sandbox type games where there is something interesting around every corner.

We have games like no man's sky in which every single planet has something going on

The point I'm making is this concept is so normal on many games that if anything Starfield would be following a common trend that removes any sense of realism in regards to the exploration that maybe it is a good idea that they space out those interesting aspects so you truly get to feel like you're discovering something that most have not seen.

So I personally like that they try to do something like this design wise and maybe it is something better to be spaced out to allow you to feel like you truly are finding something unique.

So I feel maybe the most adventurous and dedicated traveler should find some of these things by going to hundreds of planets to reward them for their exploration.

Because one has to question what good is the discovery if that by default is now the thing on every planet anyway?
I simply want survival mode and more such moments. This will make planet to planet exploration very cool and frankly, is needed to realise potential they have in this game.
Survival mode is going to be fucking insane with this game. The foundation and base is so strong there's so much they technically could do, more extreme planet effects like instant dying if you walk out without your space suit or blowing up or something.

Your character having to sleep and eat everyday making the requirement of using the kitchen in the spaceship a necessary lol

I want to see how Base Building is used with a survival mode, cause though I haven't started this feature yet, it seems like its not a strong end game.

So I'm looking forward to seeing how they tweak those settings and features with the survival mode

I'm personally conflicted with this. I know many people made a big deal about the 1000 Planets, but the way I look at it is we have so many games That are more open sandbox type games where there is something interesting around every corner.

We have games like no man's sky in which every single planet has something going on

The point I'm making is this concept is so normal on many games that if anything Starfield would be following a common trend that removes any sense of realism in regards to the exploration that maybe it is a good idea that they space out those interesting aspects so you truly get to feel like you're discovering something that most have not seen.

So I personally like that they try to do something like this design wise and maybe it is something better to be spaced out to allow you to feel like you truly are finding something unique.

So I feel maybe the most adventurous and dedicated traveler should find some of these things by going to hundreds of planets to reward them for their exploration.

Because one has to question what good is the discovery if that by default is now the thing on every planet anyway?

By more often, I mean once or twice every system. It’s obvious they cannot fill galaxy to the brim with content.

I enjoy solitude in this game. Thats how i played it. Haven’t touched any quest lines so far.

But I would like to see 1-2 such encounters per system to mix things up a bit. Doesn’t have to be full fledged cities. Just a tiny bit of lore, encounter or quest that fleshes out that location a bit.

EDMIX

By more often, I mean once or twice every system

ok, nah fuck what I said, I like this idea better lol

One has to assume, if the systems are charted like this, man has likely entered all of those systems, simply that one has to have deep pockets to have ventured off and actually landed on each planet for any amount of time, as you'd have to factor them studying the planet before landing, scanning it to see if anything valuable exist etc. Because this is early in man's quest into space, they can make some lore where the scanners are not really that accurate, so deep drilling and navigating by foot is needed to truly look for an element.

There's lots of similarities to the expansion in the United States regarding the gold rush where people are basically taking chances to uproot their entire lives not even based on anything tangible but merely based on an idea of the possibility of finding gold

This could work because there already fits a lot of the ideologies surrounding the game where there is this sort of unsettled civilization going on that's kind of like the Wild West where you're getting different factions or groups trying to create some sort of law of the land.

So because of how the game portrays those civilizations it's very likely that all the biggest cities would be the star systems that most people would be surrounded by, So the more deeper you go out to those star systems the more desolate it becomes without any major planet or city to anchor people. Which means someone finding some long forgotten star system should be there looking to find something that is completely unknown and looking to strike it Rich by finding some element that cannot be scanned.

So maybe the idea of once or twice every star system makes much more sense.

I still feel, the greatest stories told in this game, are the individualist ideals of those traveling out in deep space looking not to be governed and to start their own thing, relying on themselves to get by.

Fredrik

That sounds awesome!
Many don't fully understand this but this is one of the biggest reasons why I actually play their games for these type of random things that you encounter. The stuff where many of us will talk about it, mark the location on our maps to see what you saw l
Yup I too enjoy the smaller stuff, and I love environmental storytelling where scribbled notes and stuff laying around can tell a story on it’s own.

Problem here is that chunks of content is procedurally placed so you’ll never see a map for a location and can’t tell someone to go to a specific place to find a specific thing. It’s great for replayability since no playthrough will be exactly the same, but as a social game where you share experiences it’s complicated.

I stumbled upon a ship with an AI inside, talky quest but cool if you like scifi, thought it was part of the Ryujin faction but found out it was just a side quest that could pop up in multiple areas.

And the lonely space granny who invites you to her ship and just want someone to talk to after her husband passed away.

Even the wellknown Mantis quest, which could’ve been a main quest, is just found through a looted note.

Sometimes I stumble upon areas where I feel like they had a plan to do something big but they ran out of time and the place is empty. Last night I ran into a civilian outpost on Akila that had very lived in internals with multiple buildings with multiple floors and long hallways etc, it was completely empty of people besides a handfull of people strolling around outside where one wanted some water. Odd.

My main criticism on that would be that the payoff is too small. They could have some epic gear laying around that would push you to search those areas. And the cloned quests in procedural placed outposts should be removed, they should use some AI tech to make them unique somehow.

Last edited:
Problem here is that chunks of content is procedurally placed so you’ll never see a map for a location and can’t tell someone to go to a specific place to find a specific thing.

They already have a solution to this problem.

If you go any system, you will notice some planets/satellites have (…) icon on them. If you scan them, they will have marked location.

This is how i find unique places/ cities/ settlements while exploring. Right now though most of marked locations have one of those outposts /building that you find on randomly landing anywhere.

I suspect they intended to add some stuff but ran out of time.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Agreed, DS fucking sucks and is only held up by the creators name the fanboys too afraid to say he made a boring bad game
show us your trophies/achievements proving you've played it more than 10 minutes or GTFO.

Jesus H. Christ at some of the mental gymnastics and blatant fanboyism in here - bringing another title into the Convo , shitting on it as to...prove what exactly? that another mediocre product is magically better because "reasons" ?

G'damn 😁

PS: fanboys calling other people fanboys is just ... chef's kiss.jpg, absolutely zero self awareness, it's like NPCs trying to hold an actual conversation 😁

Last edited:

Ribi

show us your trophies/achievements proving you've played it more than 10 minutes or GTFO.

Jesus H. Christ at some of the mental gymnastics and blatant fanboyism in here - bringing another title into the Convo , shitting on it as to...prove what exactly? that another mediocre product is magically better because "reasons" ?

G'damn 😁

PS: fanboys calling other people fanboys is just ... chef's kiss.jpg, absolutely zero self awareness, it's like NPCs trying to hold an actual conversation 😁
sorry for the late reply i was too busy sleeping after walking in one direction.

btw is your reply a strand post?

EDMIX

too afraid to say he made a boring bad game
I never understand this arrogant narcissistic mindset of believing that you're so correct and you're so right that anyone disagreeing with you is too afraid to tell you the "truth" ...

Hear me out...

Is it not at all within the realm of feasibility that people just fucking actually have a different opinion than yours regarding this game?

Are you telling me that's completely impossible?

If there's one thing you'll never find me do on this website ever, in fact I don't even think you could ever quote me on any fucking dumb shit like this, If I disagree with someone regarding a game I never try to question their own opinion regarding their enjoyment of a game because it does not fucking make sense.

How the fuck would I determine what someone else is enjoying? That's like the dumb argument that people are buying Call of Duty for the name alone, so they're fucking spending hundreds of hours based on the name? No fun at all is happening even remotely? It tries to run on this level of slow that's absolutely bat shit fucking ridiculous that tries to make it sound like someone must be just pretending to enjoy something because you dislike it....

So I think the simplest most logical and rational fucking answer is that someone has a different opinion than yours....

That Isn't a radical conspiracy.

EDMIX

I am cute thanks. Game sucks and it's not just my opinion. Tuff

Look...I don't think anyone is doubting that its your opinion, merely that those that like the game are also due their respect regarding their own opinions.

That would be like me saying Death Stranding is soooooo great, you are AFRAID to admit its greatness.

So...those of us who like Death Stranding are not "afraid" and are not pretending or anything weird like that, we merely share a different opinion. Stop trying to attack others on here with this idea they must be pretending to like something cause you don't.

It makes no sense.

Last edited:
Top Bottom