• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield is No.1 in the UK boxed charts. Almost identical launch to Diablo 4

Godot25

Banned

Starfield is No.1 in the UK boxed charts, which is impressive. It’s not the biggest physical launch of 2022 (it’s behind Hogwarts, Zelda, Star Wars, Resi 4, FF16 and Dead Island 2 on that list), but it’s almost identical to Diablo 4, and that’s significant because…
Diablo 4 was a major digital hit. Starfield will be similar because it’s on the two most digital platforms (PC & Xbox). Note: Diablo is also on PS5, which does ok physically.

Throw in Game Pass… this might be the biggest launch of 2023. And that’s saying something

Impressive considering how skewed Xbox towards digital. PC is fully digital. I am surprised that it was close to Diablo 4 though.

P.S. on the second though, Diablo 4 was heavily skewed towards PC.

Last edited:

Bernoulli

M2 slut
Starfield is No.1 in the UK boxed charts, which is impressive. It’s not the biggest physical launch of 2023 (it’s behind Hogwarts, Zelda, Star Wars, Resi 4, FF16 and Dead Island 2 on that list), but it’s almost identical to Diablo 4

Throw in Game Pass… this might be the biggest launch of 2023. And that’s saying something

since when gamepass counts in sales?

Last edited:

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
As good as these numbers are, they're still not 'game of a generation/will turn things around' level.
It's failed to break 350k on Steam during it's first weekend and short of 100k from Fallout 4.

And historically UK market is skewed more in favour of Xbox because it's the only country outside US where the console is still doing numbers.

But overall, you can spin this news the way you like, part of the reason why I hate obscure GP 'players'. Halo had 20m+ of them on launch and died in 3 months.

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Starfield is No.1 in the UK boxed charts, which is impressive. It’s not the biggest physical launch of 2022 (it’s behind Hogwarts, Zelda, Star Wars, Resi 4, FF16 and Dead Island 2 on that list), but it’s almost identical to Diablo 4, and that’s significant because…
Diablo 4 was a major digital hit. Starfield will be similar because it’s on the two most digital platforms (PC & Xbox). Note: Diablo is also on PS5, which does ok physically.

What Happened Reaction GIF by NCAA Championships

Kilau

he says the game is behind that list in Physical launch ( meaning sales)

then says the game is the biggest 2023 launch with everything else and gamepass so basically using downloads same as sales

unless he is desperate for a win
Even F2P game have launch numbers.

It may be similar to Diablo digitally or it may not. Could be higher, slightly less, significantly less. Lets wait for the digital numbers/reports.

He's extrapolating digital sales because the xbox digital trend in the UK is huge according to the data he provided.

But the weird thing is that he doesn't have the complete data yet (Digital from Xbox and PC) and then in another response, he said that FF16 sales were okay when Digital + Physical sales were about 71k launch week.

The guy shares a lot of info that he doesn't have to, but some of his wording and explanations are very weird.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
Even F2P game have launch numbers.
I can argue you can't have the biggest launch while skipping two arguably biggest consoles (Switch and PS5). With GP or without it.

For UK, FC24 will destroy the charts again. For US, CoD MW3 is on it's way. And something tells me that Spidey 2 will launch on par, but those GP millions will be full-price customers.

Red5

Starfield is No.1 in the UK boxed charts, which is impressive. It’s not the biggest physical launch of 2023 (it’s behind Hogwarts, Zelda, Star Wars, Resi 4, FF16 and Dead Island 2 on that list), but it’s almost identical to Diablo 4

since when gamepass counts in sales?

New gamepass subs to play Starfield is a sale.

That's what the endgame here is, to grow GP and become the Netflix of gaming. MS would certainly prefer to turn all of those sales into GP subs if they could.

Kilau

I can argue you can't have the biggest launch while skipping two arguably biggest consoles (Switch and PS5). With GP or without it.

For UK, FC24 will destroy the charts again. For US, CoD MW3 is on it's way. And something tells me that Spidey 2 will launch on par, but those GP millions will be full-price customers.
Just saying that I think that’s his approach. Same as MS, players not sales. Platform doesn’t really matter, the biggest game in the world could be F2P mobile only.

Red5

No, it is not, stop making things up.

Stop being obtuse.

If a game is pushing GamePass subs up that means they're making profit which is a sale.

They're literally cannibalizing physical and Digital copy sales in order to sell subs like Netflix and every streaming service. If they cared about retail sales they wouldn't be pushing day one on GP.

jm89

He's extrapolating digital sales because the xbox digital trend in the UK is huge according to the data he provided.
That's how i understood it as well.

Some of his answers his giving to people is in such a oddly convulated way.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Stop being obtuse.

If a game is pushing GamePass subs up that means they're making profit which is a sale.

They're literally cannibalizing physical and Digital copy sales in order to sell subs like Netflix and every streaming service. If they cared about retail sales they wouldn't be pushing day one on GP.

That's how i understood it as well.

Some of his answers his giving to people is in such a oddly convulated way.
I find it really strange that he's assuming something without the evidence, It will possibly be true, we'll see if he's right or not.

jm89

I find it really strange that he's assuming something without the evidence, It will possibly be true, we'll see if he's right or not.
Yeah i can see starfield doing well digitally, i mean it should considering the platforms it's releasing on.

The other thing he said was

Starfield is No.1 in the UK boxed charts, which is impressive ........ but it’s almost identical to Diablo 4
It's identical to diablo 4 physical sales on playstation+xbox? cause that would be actually impressive. But maybe he just meant identitcal to diablo 4 on xbox? idk, his not being very clear.

Edit: actually it isn't impressive diablo 4 physical sales were poor in the uk.

Last edited:
Top Bottom