• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield is No.1 in the UK boxed charts. Almost identical launch to Diablo 4

feynoob

It's not doing very hot on Steam, you know. Especially for a first (and arguably the best considering the word-of-mouth) weekend. It is also the only truly concrete data-point we have atm. Dring somehow extrapolate and inflate SF numbers through D4, but one can argue that SF salec could be less bombastic if we take Steam numbers as a relevant data-point (~1.44m PC owners based on VG Insights).

For reference, Fallout 4 shipped 12 millions in a week.
but shipment isnt a sale. plus this game doesnt have ps.
for steam, i can understand it due to pc gamepass and 5 day early impression which affected people's decision to buy the game (dumb move from ms and bethesda).

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
but shipment isnt a sale.
As do gamepass PLAYER.

At least F4 was vastly requested by the retail and Bethesda recieved at least some money for the shipped stock. I don't have the links on me, but those shipped numbers were closed to sales anyway (1~2m give or take).

VCSRt0m.jpg

feynoob

As do gamepass PLAYER.

At least F4 was vastly requested by the retail and Bethesda recieved at least some money for the shipped stock. I don't have the links on me, but those shipped numbers were closed to sales anyway (1~2m give or take).
but gamepass does generate revenue.
All ms needs is 3m permenant gamepass users from starfield and they can generate $504m average for 1 year or 7.2m starfield sales.

its why ms is putting it on the service. Its just a passive revenue for them at this moment.

Pelta88

I disagree. TLOU2's division was down to narrative choice story arc... Gamers fell in love with a character and had a strong response to his story arc (trying to stay spoiler free here :messenger_tears_of_joy:) The second part was gamers being gamers... In an uproar about LGBTQ representation. None of those people, even in Microsoft's own internal review, had any criticism of the actual game.

Starfield's narrative/backlash is a totally different situation.

Last edited:

Elios83

Hence his Diablo 4 comparison. This did better physically than D4 on PS+Xbox combined and will have the bigger share of it's sales digitally.

As Xbox games tend to anyway

Game pass would have factored into both digital and physical sales.

It's highly questionable that the impact of Gamepass is the same on physical and digital sales.

Precisely because physical sales are really limited in the UK on Xbox and they basically represent the dedicated niche who just refuse to buy digital games. Gamepass won't do much for those people.

Digital is instead basically the bulk of mainstream sales and those will be impacted by Gamepass much stronger hence the comparison with a non Gamepass title like Diablo 4 is imo misplaced.

So let's see the actual digital sales when they're reported. So far we've got physical numbers and they're not good.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
but gamepass does generate revenue.
We will have full picture when (and if, a huge if) Microsoft will tell us how many new subs Starfield has generated. Until then it's all mad rumblings in the dark. Here, GI.biz author is operating on a level of an average GAF poster, wich is fun by itself.

feynoob

It's highly questionable that the impact of Gamepass is the same on physical and digital sales.

Precisely because physical sales are really limited in the UK on Xbox and they basically represent the dedicated niche who just refuse to buy digital games. Gamepass won't do much for those people.

Digital is instead basically the bulk of mainstream sales and those will be impacted by Gamepass much stronger hence the comparison with a non Gamepass title like Diablo 4 is imo misplaced.

So let's see the actual digital sales when they're reported. So far we've got physical numbers and they're not good.
let me ask you this.
What is the end goal for these sales?

We will have full picture when (and if, a huge if) Microsoft will tell us how many new subs Starfield has generated. Until then it's all mad rumblings in the dark. Here, GI.biz author is operating on a level of an average GAF poster, wich is fun by itself.
i have been dying for that info. we have been in the dark since last report in 2022.

T-0800

that is impossble.
steam and majority of xbox users dont have gamepass.

this is also bethesda game. people buy them due to the length of their games.

unlike other xbox games, bethesda have loyal fans.

I meant on Xbox sorry. Wasn't referencing Steam.

My point being that if a game is available day 1 on Gamepass you can't necessarily use traditional digital physical split to predict sales.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Gamepass would have affected digital sales more than physical sales since as Christopher has suggested Xbox users consume more digital media than physical.

He is also suggesting that ~80% of the games sales in UK would be digital, so these chart topping physical sales are just 1/4th of the total expected sales.

Starfield's narrative/backlash is a totally different situation.

93f.jpg

Last edited:
We all knew that people would try to skew the sales for Starfield. It was predictable, simply because of the nature of GamePass. People desperately want to count GP players as equivalent to sales when that makes zero sense. 15 dollars vs 70 dollars... even if you divided the GamePass totals by 5 to account for the lost revenue it wouldn't accurately portray Starfield sales because not everyone on GamePass has it just for Starfield.

Of all the games that would do "well" for physical, of course, it would be one that Microsoft is literally creating a wrap for the Series X for and has massively promoted as being their next big franchise.

And of course, GamePass would have a bigger impact on digital sales than Physical sales.

All this to say that the physical sales STILL came in under games that people felt underperformed like FF16... That it underperformed RE4 and FF16 is REALLY telling, not to mention dead island 2....

What people won't be able to skew is September or October Xbox Series sales in the US and I'm no longer seeing ANYONE who thinks that the Xbox Series will outsell the Switch let alone the PS5 in September.

Last edited:

Even that isn't a full picture. You could get gamepass for a month just to play Starfield, and cancel after the first month, saving 55 dollars. That isn't a win for Microsoft in any way...

Looking at GamePass growth for the year and Xbox Series sales is the only real way to measure a game like this that is on GamePass. Stand alone B2P sales might give some insight as well, but not the full picture that system sales and GP growth will tell us.

Alphagear

He is also suggesting that ~80% of the games sales in UK would be digital, so these chart topping physical sales are just 1/4th of the total expected sales.

93f.jpg

That would make sense if Starfield wasn’t available on Gamepass.

Comparing it to Diablo is silly cause it wasn’t on Gamepass.

feynoob

I meant on Xbox sorry. Wasn't referencing Steam.

My point being that if a game is available day 1 on Gamepass you can't necessarily use traditional digital physical split to predict sales.
It acts as different kind of sales, but that is it. From our prespective, those gamepass numbers would be useless.
From MS side, they are looking at getting 5m range userbase permanently. To them, that number is enough to generate close to 12m sales (3m people being subbed to gamepass for a year is equivelant of 7.2m sales).

The real question is whether gamepass is at 30+m or not.

Last edited:
It doesn't matter if 30 million people play Starfield on GamePass or 0 people play Starfield on GamePass.

What matters is

• How many units Starfield sells
  • How many new subscribers Starfield brings into GamePass AND retains long term (at least 6+ months)
  • How many units of Xbox Series X and S it helps sell

Elios83

That is in general, for games that are not on Gamepass.
Who is buying physical games in the UK on Xbox at this point?
It's basically a niche of people who either refuse to buy digital games or people who like collecting things like action figures, artbooks and the likes.
Those people are not impacted by Gamepass at all.
It's within the bulk of their 80% digital sales that Gamepass will have an effect.

Hence it's a wait and see for actual digital sales, if those are not good they might still have an increase in GP subscribers.

feynoob

It doesn't matter if 30 million people play Starfield on GamePass or 0 people play Starfield on GamePass.

What matters is

• How many units Starfield sells
  • How many new subscribers Starfield brings into GamePass AND retains long term (at least 6+ months)
  • How many units of Xbox Series X and S it helps sell
From your point of stand, starfield would need to sell 1m xbox consoles. gain 3-5m permanent gamepass users. And sell 3m-5m starfield to generate 20m worth of revenue.

As for gamepass growth, pc is the outline. That is a sector that would help MS massively, once console reaches the ceiling.

adamsapple

That would make sense if Starfield wasn’t available on Gamepass.

Comparing it to Diablo is silly cause it wasn’t on Gamepass

He's extrapolating based on trends, it's pretty much the only thing he does at GI.

But, yes, we'll have the an accurate idea when the GFK results are out.

From your point of stand, starfield would need to sell 1m xbox consoles. gain 3-5m permanent gamepass users. And sell 3m-5m starfield to generate 20m worth of revenue.

As for gamepass growth, pc is the outline. That is a sector that would help MS massively, once console reaches the ceiling.

I don't think that is really the equation.

The most valuable thing a game could do is sell Xbox units. It's the most loyal consumer you could create. A PC GamePass user can come and go pretty easily. An Xbox GamePass consumer is far more likely to stick around.

So if Microsoft has a hierarchy of consumers it would be

1. New Xbox GamePass Consumer
2. Existing Xbox GamePass Consumer
3. New Xbox B2P Consumer
4. Existing Xbox B2P Consumer
5. New PC GamePass Consumer
6. Existing PC GamePass Consumer
7. PC B2P Consumer

So your ultimate goal is still to sell Xbox units and as an extension either GamePass subs, first party sales, 3rd party royalties, MTX e.t.c.

The worst case scenario for Microsoft is someone plays Starfield for a month via GamePass on PC and then cancels their account. The next worst-case scenario is that they buy Starfield on Steam and never buy anything from them again.

It's a difficult game to model so people like Chris who I generally respect trying to make massive assumptions at this point are pretty ridiculous.

cripterion

All in all this is what modern gaming is about : Highly anticipated game comes out performing poorly but selling extremely well.

There's no incentive for these companies to do better nowadays cause we are used to this shit.
Not to single out Bethesda but with these dudes starting the DLC craze too...

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Alphagear

He's extrapolating based on trends, it's pretty much the only thing he does at GI.

But, yes, we'll have the an accurate idea when the GFK results are out.

The trend never applied to games available on Gamepass.

Diablo 4 is NOT the same Starfield.

We all know Gamepass cannibalises sales.

It cannabalises digital sales more than physical.

So the expectation that another 80% have bought digital is nonsense.

What some maybe missing is If I'm a game pass subscriber and Diablo comes out I buy that digitally as it's not on game pass day one.

Starfield comes out I have no need to buy it digitally hence a lost sale digitally. Starfield could've exceeded Diablo digitally or fell short, we don't know but it's possible that a good chunk of people on game pass already paying for months/years that would've normally bought Starfield digitally day 1 don't have to now.

Depends just how many game pass people suddenly don't have to buy the game so that typical 80% digital for a non game pass game is under question. Perhaps there's a lot of interest outside of game pass users but saying Diablo therefore Starfield is not good logic but could easily be similar by coincidence.

How many extra game pass subs did it generate. MS will be happy if they stay on board for a few months.

feynoob

I don't think that is really the equation.

The most valuable thing a game could do is sell Xbox units. It's the most loyal consumer you could create. A PC GamePass user can come and go pretty easily. An Xbox GamePass consumer is far more likely to stick around.

So if Microsoft has a hierarchy of consumers it would be

1. New Xbox GamePass Consumer
2. Existing Xbox GamePass Consumer
3. New Xbox B2P Consumer
4. Existing Xbox B2P Consumer
5. New PC GamePass Consumer
6. Existing PC GamePass Consumer
7. PC B2P Consumer

So your ultimate goal is still to sell Xbox units and as an extension either GamePass subs, first party sales, 3rd party royalties, MTX e.t.c.

The worst case scenario for Microsoft is someone plays Starfield for a month via GamePass on PC and then cancels their account. The next worst-case scenario is that they buy Starfield on Steam and never buy anything from them again.

It's a difficult game to model so people like Chris who I generally respect trying to make massive assumptions at this point are pretty ridiculous.
The minor point that you are missing is that MS just needs to bring 3m userbase. 5M if they want more revenue.
Those numbers are acheivable, unlike 10+m userbase which are hard to keep around.

You can get those userbase from PC (500k-1.5m), 500k-1.5m console sold (new gamepass users), converting existing Xbox users to gamepass users(1.5m-2m). Achievable 3m-5m userbase.
That is all they have to do to get Starfield revenue. That is $504m-$840m. Which translates to 7.2m-12m copy sold. Not accounting outside sales.

Keep in mind that we arent including new Xbox users who might bring new revenue through 3rd party sales cut.

The minor point that you are missing is that MS just needs to bring 3m userbase. 5M if they want more revenue.
Those numbers are acheivable, unlike 10+m userbase which are hard to keep around.

You can get those userbase from PC (500k-1.5m), 500k-1.5m console sold (new gamepass users), converting existing Xbox users to gamepass users(1.5m-2m). Achievable 3m-5m userbase.
That is all they have to do to get Starfield revenue. That is $504m-$840m. Which translates to 7.2m-12m copy sold. Not accounting outside sales.

Keep in mind that we arent including new Xbox users who might bring new revenue through 3rd party sales cut.

I don't think revenue is enough to make Starfield a success for Microsoft. You need to move the needle more than anything. You need to shift the narrative on mindshare.

You're also forgetting Valve's cut of the profit.

But that's why I said someone buying an Xbox for Starfield is the best case scenario. You have a shot at GamePass AND B2P, and B2P Royalties.

So poor physical sales.
Don't understand the comparison Dring is making about Diablo 4 digital sales.
Diablo 4 was not on Gamepass. That is going to hurt digital sales as well.
I guess we'll find out later how much.

I think he assumed that because GamePass didn't eat into Physical sales to the degree of preventing it from charting 1st overall that it wouldn't eat into digital sales, which just doesn't make sense and he should know that better than anyone.

He should know how digital games track based on physical sales AND the game being present on GamePass, but he isn't doing any of that math here publicly nor is he mentioning it, so sounds like he ignored it. The argument that GamePass helps make it the largest launch of the year, just makes no sense at all.

adamsapple

It's common sense. People who like their physical games are going to buy physical regardless.

But if someone is subscribed to game pass, the idea is they wouldn't need to buy it in the first place.

Also Dring, in a different tweet, also said that around 40% of (UK ?) Xbox owners are game pass subscribers, so that's a bigger majority of owners who aren't, who would be buying the game at retail.

And that's where the retail physical to digital extrapolation would come into play.

Is there a logical argument to be made that GamePass would hurt physical sales more than digital when GamePass is digital?

No, the argument is that it would, in theory, effect both of them equally, if at all.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Xbox Series S = leading platform
Xbox Series S is digital only
Game Pass is on PC, which will hurt some digital sales.

So yes, more Digital than Physical.

Series S being a digital only platform and the leading platform just means Dring's digital estimate is more likely than not too. 🤷‍♂️

Common sense isn’t so common it seems.

Nothing then, gotcha.
Thanks.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Series S being a digital only platform and the leading platform just means Dring's digital estimate is more likely than not. 🤷‍♂️

I'm not talking about Dring's digital estimate. I'm using how Game Pass will likely hurt digital sales compared to Physical.

Top Bottom