• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield is No.1 in the UK boxed charts. Almost identical launch to Diablo 4

twilo99

The biggest elephant in the room for such underwhelming sales is that it's not of the PS5, the current gen market leader. MS admitted that in Europe, Sony has above 80% market share I think. Thats a lot of potential sales gone down the drain.

They should milk the PlayStation install base in a year or so anyway..

And certain people wanted to argue that the physical sales were not piss poor....
Even assuming that 80% of sales were digital with Gamepass equally affecting physical and digital sales (and it's not like that), that means that total actual sales were 75k.
Gamepass plus Xbox exclusive destroyed actual sales compared to past big Bethesda games.
75k would be in the same ballpark of FFXVI wich triggered so many twitter enthusiasts into making comparisons with older titles. I think that thanks to PC Bethesda may see better numbers bc 75k would be a slow debut for a main Bethesda game, even considering the existence of GP

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
They should milk the PlayStation install base in a year or so anyway..
It would have worked if the game was sitting at a 94-95 "must-play" MC. I don't think this current version of Starfield is worth porting to PlayStation (from an Xbox perspective) and losing an exclusive.

I think Xbox's estimate that Starfield would sell 10M copies on PS5 was also way off. They were perhaps hoping the game to make very big waves. This current version would sell 3M-4M copies on PS at best -- at least until it's heavily discounted and selling at $15.

I don't think that's worth losing your biggest exclusive for.

twilo99

It would have worked if the game was sitting at a 94-95 "must-play" MC. I don't think this current version of Starfield is worth porting to PlayStation (from an Xbox perspective) and losing an exclusive.

I think Xbox's estimate that Starfield would sell 10M copies on PS5 was also way off. They were perhaps hoping the game to make very big waves. This current version would sell 3M-4M copies on PS at best -- at least until it's heavily discounted and selling at $15.

I don't think that's worth losing your biggest exclusive for.

It won’t matter as much a year from now anyway, getting some extra sales is always better than no sales at all, or at least very slow sales at that point. It’s not an Xbox exclusive anyway since it’s on PC.

There are over 40 million PS5s out there, it’s easy money, no? No brainer in my opinion.

BG3 must be doing some crazy numbers on PlayStation considering how well it sold on PC, MC score of over 95, and the hype right before it launched on PS..

Last edited:

Humdinger

Why is this surprising? Of course it sold well and is No. 1. It just released. It's the biggest game of the year for MS. It's been hyped to high heaven. Of course it's #1 on its first week.

SomeGit

Another one is incoming, by the way.

qsewO7R.jpg

Also, look at the terrible reason why BG3 data isn't included.

"big companies who only release one game every few years" -- isn't that the perfect definition of Bethesda Game Studios? So why are they included but Larian isn't? lol

He is talking about the publisher since BG3 is self published, Bethesda the publisher has multiple games per year.

Last edited:
Top Bottom