• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield, my thoughts about early access.

Osthyvel

First of all, english is not my native language so be gentle ;)

I just want to say that i think this business model is disgusting, but it can be done because we actually spend our money on these type of deals.

The game releases on wednesday 6/9 on gamepass, but today friday its possible to pay 35€ for the premium edition, that gives access to an upcoming expansion and some cosmetics, the game is not included.

Ofcourse, its friday, most people are free over the weekend and want to play the game, and if you don't keep subscribing to gamepass; you will have the cosmetics and expansion but not a game to play, so you have to buy the game. I know, all of you know this but i just want to write it because i thinks its so dirty business, not judging anyone, to each to its own etc. This is just so well thought ought to cash in, these days when most gamerelated things just keeps getting more expensive i think the best thing we can do is to vote with our wallets.

But so many complains over microtransactions, expensive subscriptions etc, when we pay for this, its a couple of days before its "real" release, and next weekend we can play it "free" if we have gamepass.

And no, i am not poor xD maybe because of what i just wrote.

Happy gaming everyone, i hope you are enjoying your early access, see you on wednesday!

Last edited:

Zheph

It works sadly
We have source saying that everyone bought it at MS UK HQ and steam numbers are pretty big already

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I want it now access.
Eff GIF

As a consumer, I don't like this trend, but from the business perspective, it makes a lot of sense and I can see it becoming the standard. It's too easy to implement with digital distribution and there's a big market of anxious people to explore.

Fbh

The good thing about not having a need to play every new game the very second it's out is that I don't really care about this.

Don't take me wrong, I see why this sucks and ideally there should just be the one version of the game releasing for $70 on a specific day for everyone (and if they want, some overpriced "collectors edition" with a figure or some other physical crap). But considering all the shit publishers can and have locked behind a day 1 paywall in the past (extra characters, unique quests, unique item, day 1 DLC in general), I'd rather wait an extra week than being locked out of valuable in game content for not buying the more expensive edition.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
I don't know. There is nothing exclusive about this. Early access has been a thing for a long time now. No one is forced to play this game right now. No one is forced to spend extra money on this game right now. If you want to wait until release date, you should do that.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I'm just surprised at how much more it costs, like $35? I'm assuming it comes with something substantial besides getting to play the game early.

Yea, it is what it is and ain't going away. Such an easy way for studios to make some easy money.

Just avoid spoilers bruh and enjoy the hell out of the game when you're able to play it. Godspeed Starman!

Last edited:

Aion002

Most people like this type of stuff, it makes them feel special.

"I am going to play this earlier than some!" or "I can't wait to play it!".

It's obviously bs and most people knows that.. But they still fall for it.

Ben Stiller People GIF by Apple TV+

Zuzu

It's scam that is becoming normal. Just like how dlc and extra characters are scam of the actual content that cut from the game.

Yeah it is a bit of a con-job. For example, Starfield could’ve come out on the 1st September for everyone but they artificially make it so it comes out 5 days later so they can offer early access. I doubt there’s any other genuine reason why it couldn’t be released normally on September 1. It’s a designed delay so they can make money off early access, not a delay due to genuine reasons.

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member
In my case, the early access upgrade was worth it. I have Game Pass paid up for a few more years. If I plan to still play at the end of my subscription, I am sure I will buy a copy at a deep discount between now and then. I could have taken that $32 and go to a movie this weekend or I could play Starfield all weekend. I chose to play Starfield. This isn't life or death, this is entertainment. I spend my entertainment budget based on what is going to entertain me for a period of time. I used to hate on DLC/microtransactions but it is a losing battle. Now, I just go with purchases that make sense for me.

feynoob

Banned
Yeah it is a bit of a con-job. For example, Starfield could’ve come out on the 1st September for everyone but they artificially make it so it comes out 5 days later so they offer early access. I doubt there’s any other genuine reason why it couldn’t be released normally on September 1. It’s a designed delay so they can make money off early access, not a delay due to genuine reasons.
Not to mention that early access is 100$ and gamepass version is 35$.
They are getting away with a robbery here.

Thabass

I just got the Game Pass upgrade, but mostly because I wanted the soundtrack. The EA was just a nice bonus.

Osthyvel

I'm one of those disgusting people who paid the extra money for the early access that included the soundtrack and artbook and some sorta expansion later on.
Just Disgusting.
"Cut cut"

Chill 😊 the business model is disgusting, i love gaming and gamers. Dont play the victim card.

Last edited:

SenkiDala

I just got the Game Pass upgrade, but mostly because I wanted the soundtrack. The EA was just a nice bonus.
Yeah I mean it also contains the 1st story DLC to come, those DLCs are usually not cheap anyway. + The soundtrack and the art book, the Early Access is a bonus to that, it is what motivated me to take it right now, but anyways I'd buy the DLC on day one, so...

LordCBH

If the early access period wasn’t over a long weekend, I’d have just waited. But I’m off on Monday and today so I didn’t want to wait till after Labor Day.

Ozriel

M$FT
Are people just learning about this years old business model? Really?

Not to mention that early access is 100$ and gamepass version is 35$.
They are getting away with a robbery here.

You’re upset that people on a subscription service with a major perk being day one first party games don’t have to pay to play the base game?

Make it make sense.

feynoob

Banned
Are people just learning about this years old business model? Really?

You’re upset that people on a subscription service with a major perk being day one first party games don’t have to pay to play the base game?

Make it make sense.
I was wondering when you will come here with your knighthood.
I wonder if you work for MS/Xbox.

Also when did pointing out bad practices become a bad thing? These steps are the same reason we are stuck with mtx, all because people paid for horse dlc.

MarkMe2525

I'm just surprised at how much more it costs, like $35? I'm assuming it comes with something substantial besides getting to play the game early.

Yea, it is what it is and ain't going away. Such an easy way for studios to make some easy money.

Just avoid spoilers bruh and enjoy the hell out of the game when you're able to play it. Godspeed Starman!
You don't need to assume, as you are on the internet. Your answer is a yahoo search away.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
What happened to their "day one" strategy? Should I pay more to get what they promised me?
Day 1 isnt the same as early access. You want to play early, you pay. otherwise wait until the 6th.

If Gamepass doesn't hit the numbers MS expects (who knows what those are) I would imagine you will see this strategy implored a lot more. I wouldn't be surprised if there ends up being a two week window before all Gamepass users can use it.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
5-day preview period is just for Premium Edition owners, which isn't part of Game Pass. You can, however, get it as an upgrade for much less than buying the $99 premium standalone.

Top Bottom