• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield, my thoughts about early access.

Portugeezer

Any artificial value is scam designed to dry consumers their money.
There is no need to do 5 day early access, yet here we are.
This is the same thing that people defended for mtx. People said that it offered value and now look at where we are now.
All we are doing is give companies a reason to charge us more money.
Right now, it's MS that is charging this. Next time it will be EA, Sony, Activision and other industries.
EA already does it (with FIFA too, full of online modes which benefit from the early play time).

EA doing it should tell you enough.

Stare-Bear

Banned
It’s really gonna bite MS in the rear because the word of mouth for this game is not great…

I bit the bullet and I’m regretting it. Should’ve waited for the Gamepass edition.

Osthyvel

Your English is fantastic (y)

I agree with you as well. This practice is disgusting, especially at this price point.

People need to have patience. Starfield in 6 months @ £25 on sale is not going to be a worse game than it is today.
Thanks! Much appreciated, if i just could talk as good, but thats another story 😂

feynoob

Banned
I admittedly am 100% the whale you speak of and if I can be totally honest I don't much care about the feelings of the wannabe whales

I have busted my ass in life to become said whale so I am going to swim like one when I want, sorry

Ok when it becomes just horse armor I will pass

You keep giving me 4 or 5 days early access you get my 30 bones

Sorry
I can appreciate your honesty.

tusharngf

anyone who has played Bethesda games in the past knows that after 3-4 yrs of release you will get quality mods to fix everything. I have always played their games after 3-4 yrs later. Never buy Bethesda games during the launch year.

feynoob

Banned
EA already does it (with FIFA too, full of online modes which benefit from the early play time).

EA doing it should tell you enough.
This explains their business practices.

With mtx and this practices, they are essentially making tons of money.

Last edited:

Osthyvel

It’s really gonna bite MS in the rear because the word of mouth for this game is not great…

I bit the bullet and I’m regretting it. Should’ve waited for the Gamepass edition.
I was thinking about writing this actually in my op, that i think a lot of people will regret their purchase and feel the way you feel, but i left that part. Kudos to you for being honest. I really hope you will get enjoyment out of the game down the road.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Only Early access you should really have any FOMO about is a new souls game. Other than that you are just wasting energy, :messenger_beaming:

Ozriel

M$FT
No, just you jumping on any news that sounds negative to Xbox and defending them.
I wonder if you actually think from consumer side, instead of trusting these companies blindly.

How is a business model that multiple publishers employ ‘negative to xbox’?

None of this fazes me. I didn’t pay for premium upgrade for Starfield. I’m not going to pay extra for Mortal Kombat 1. I certainly didn’t pay for any of the deluxe editions of Hogwarts Legacy.

I’m certainly not obliged to agree with your opinions. And I note you’re still unable to explain how selling DLC for a Gamepass title is ‘robbery’.

I really don't understand the "problem" with this early access incentive. If someone wants to pay an additional amount of money to play a game a week early, why should that bother anyone? How does person X having a game a few days early make person Y an aggrieved party?

feynoob

Banned
How is a business model that multiple publishers employ ‘negative to xbox’?

None of this fazes me. I didn’t pay for premium upgrade for Starfield. I’m not going to pay extra for Mortal Kombat 1. I certainly didn’t pay for any of the deluxe editions of Hogwarts Legacy.

I’m certainly not obliged to agree with your opinions. And I note you’re still unable to explain how selling DLC for a Gamepass title is ‘robbery’.
We are not talking about dlc here. Just the 5 day early access.

bender

What time is it?
I'm one of those disgusting people...

alan-partridge-disgusting.gif

Robb

Gold Member
How does person X having a game a few days early make person Y an aggrieved party?
It’s pretty much the same scenario as a game leaking early. Footage and spoilers galore for anyone who don’t have access.

Probably even worse with this considering it’ll all be allowed to stay up. At least with leaks the companies tend to try to diminish exposure.

There is making money, then there is making artificial value.
Early 5 days is artificial value that offers nothing to the consumers.
They make money from the actual release. They are not losing anything.
Each individual consumer decides what value is to them. I purchased the Premium Edition of Starfield because I wanted to binge play it during my 3-day Labor Day weekend. You don't think it worth it, so don't buy it and wait for the standard release date. I don't understand this concern for my money.

It’s pretty much the same scenario as a game leaking early. Footage and spoilers galore for anyone who don’t have access.

Probably even worse with this considering it’ll all be allowed to stay up. At least with leaks the companies tend to try to diminish exposure.
Most review sites receive games a week or more early as well, and in the modern social media age, leaks and spoilers are an unfortunate truth we all must anticipate.

Yet people are defending these practices.
It's 70$ game. It's available on 17$ subscription. There was no reason to do early access. Yet here we are with MS charging 100$ and 35$ for gamepass users.
It's not looking good for future gaming.
If you don't like it then just wait and play when it's your turn?

Shocked Cosmo Kramer GIF

Ozriel

M$FT
We are not talking about dlc here. Just the 5 day early access.

Yes. It’s a perk they’ve put in place to make more money. Consumers who don’t want to pay up front for the DLC aren’t harmed in any way, and the 5 days wait is relatively negligible.

If your argument here is that the ‘serious harm to gamers’ is that a 5 day wait for the street release date is unbearable, you might have bigger concerns.

It’s getting almost ubiquitous in the industry now, so I suppose this is something you’ll have to come to terms with eventually.

feynoob

Banned
Yes. It’s a perk they’ve put in place to make more money. Consumers who don’t want to pay up front for the DLC aren’t harmed in any way, and the 5 days wait is relatively negligible.

If your argument here is that the ‘serious harm to gamers’ is that a 5 day wait for the street release date is unbearable, you might have bigger concerns.

It’s getting almost ubiquitous in the industry now, so I suppose this is something you’ll have to come to terms with eventually.
Cool, then why do you care if another person didn't want to wait and decided to pay an additional $30 to play now?
It's artificial value that offer nothing, but make people spend on the higher cost product.
That is the complaint we have as consumers.

No one will give it a shit, if it's deluxe edition during launch day for everyone.

Robb

Gold Member
Most review sites receive games a week or more early as well, and in the modern social media age, leaks and spoilers are an unfortunate truth we all must anticipate.
Poor comparison imo. Review sites usually don’t actively attempt to spoil the game for people and work with embargo dates. And as I mentioned leaks at the very least are attempted to be mitigated by companies.

I just took your statement as ‘it doesn’t affect anyone but me so who cares’. Imo it does.

Last edited:
It's artificial value that offer nothing, but make people spend on the higher cost product.
That is the complaint we have as consumers.

it's not artificial value, it is not making people, and it is not the complaint consumers who have bought it have

Lokaum D+

When you have gamepass, it's negates the ability to pirate those games.
not everyone has gamepass and sadly the game is already out into the wild.

but i agree with you, been at gamepass should negates te ability to pirate those games.

Last edited:

pasterpl

Almost 234k people on steam today - all early access, over 200k currently. Also starfield is top seller at the moment. And we don’t know Xbox numbers.

peish

EA is king at they do.
they are hated for doing these practices, yet there are still dumb people who pay for these shit.
It's like Stockholm syndrome at this point. Gamers like getting shit on by these companies.

EA of course meaning early access starfield bullshithousery

Day 1 on Gamepass has changed definition, if MS gets away with Starfield, they will keep doing this fake EA. Our understanding of EA is not 6 days early unlocked at a rather hefty unlocking price!

Poor comparison imo. Review sites usually don’t actively attempt to spoil the game for people and work with embargo dates. And as I mentioned leaks at the very least are attempted to be mitigated by companies.

I just took your statement as ‘it doesn’t affect anyone but me so who cares’. Imo it does.
Then you mistook my comment entirely. I said leaks are an almost inevitable circumstance for most video games and movies these days due to information being disseminated so quickly through social media. Arguing that because a bad person might want to leak important game elements no one should receive the early access perk is a weak argument to me.

Robb

Gold Member
Then you mistook my comment entirely. I said leaks are an almost inevitable circumstance for most video games and movies these days due to information being disseminated so quickly through social media. Arguing that because a bad person might want to leak important game elements no one should receive the early access perk is a weak argument to me.
Hardly an argument I’m trying to make. You just said:
How does person X having a game a few days early make person Y an aggrieved party?
and I explained why that would/can be the case.

Killer8

It's a Bethesda game so the early access people are really just acting as the guinea pigs. You should be proud of their sacrifice.

Hardly an argument I’m trying to make. You just said:

and I explained why that would/can be the case.
The possibility for leaks exists whether early access is available for a game or not. Each person has their own responsibility to be careful when browsing through content on social media and knows the risk involved, including possibly being spoiled. Me having the game early doesn't affect you unless I decide to be an asshole and somehow spread the ending of the game early in a devious way to unsuspecting people.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
because it’s not a scam, again, people are getting what was promised and what is advertised
They advertised that games coming to Game Pass would be available on the day of release, but I can't play on the first day. If they had marketed it as 'Day Six,' it wouldn't have been a problem. I don't mind games outside of Game Pass charging extra for early access; they didn't advertise it this way. I don't care if you're a whale; I could also get early access if I wanted. I'm against the promised service not being delivered. Phil Spencer probably wouldn't defend this if he were a guest here.

Robb

Gold Member
The possibility for leaks exists whether early access is available for a game or not. Each person has their own responsibility to be careful when browsing through content on social media and knows the risk involved, including possibly being spoiled. Me having the game early doesn't affect you unless I decide to be an asshole and somehow spread the ending of the game early in a devious way to unsuspecting people.
I mean.. Leaks doesn’t necessarily have to exist. All you have to imagine is the case of being spoiled by YouTube thumbnails etc. etc. by a game that has zero leaks before launch but happens to have early access a week before launch.

There’s one thing being weary of avoiding leaks and a whole other having the game actually release to select people before launch. No one is going to stop footage from reaching you. If anything companies will likely be promoting said footage even more because they want you to buy into it.

MrMephistoX

5-day preview period is just for Premium Edition owners, which isn't part of Game Pass. You can, however, get it as an upgrade for much less than buying the $99 premium standalone.
Is this confirmed to work? I bought the $99 edition lol but I might request a refund and then buy the upgrade instead. Like if I have gamepass and just buy the upgrade can I download and play today?

Last edited:
They advertised that games coming to Game Pass would be available on the day of release, but I can't play on the first day. If they had marketed it as 'Day Six,' it wouldn't have been a problem. I don't mind games outside of Game Pass charging extra for early access; they didn't advertise it this way. I don't care if you're a whale; I could also get early access if I wanted. I'm against the promised service not being delivered. Phil Spencer probably wouldn't defend this if he were a guest here.

They never advertised early access on Gamepass. They are advertising early access for more money. Its funny language but it’s still not a scam, let them get sued if it is.

A.Romero

I don't care, personally. From my perspective it is like not wanting that other people play it first. Even if it's an artificial wait made to make some money, I don't mind waiting another week. It's not like there are many games to play.

If the game existing costs 500m and it means allowing people that can an want to spend more money to play it early are milked, so be it. Doesn't impact my enjoyment in the slightlest.

Scam is calling it early access. It's not. It's 1.0 version.

No that’s not a scam, the version number is irrelevant. They can call and release it whatever and whenever they want. Pre-release edition, day minus-five edition. It doesn’t matter, it’s just a marketing label that they don’t include in Gamepass’ terms.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Is this confirmed to work? I bought the $99 edition lol but I might request a refund and then buy the upgrade instead. Like if I have gamepass and just buy the upgrade can I download and play today?
Yes it works, that's what I did.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
No that’s not a scam, the version number is irrelevant. They can call and release it whatever and whenever they want. Pre-release edition, day minus-five edition. It doesn’t matter, it’s just a marketing label that they don’t include in Gamepass’ terms.
They do what they want, you're right. In the next game, they ask for $30 to play one month early, and after that, they ask for $30 to play one year early... Then, some people start to argue that $30 is not enough.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Yes. That's what a lot of us are doing.

And it comes with access to the first story expansion, so your money is being well spent, and not just to play the game 5 days early.

Top Bottom