• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield Was Planned For PS5 Prior To Microsoft's ZeniMax Acquisition, FTC Says

Starfield, the next major Xbox console-exclusive from the makers of Skyrim and Fallout, was originally planned to release on PlayStation 5, according to the Federal Trade Commission.

Documents recently made public as part of the FTC's injunction against Microsoft's planned acquisition of Activision Blizzard state that prior to Microsoft's $7.5 billion acquisition of ZeniMax, both Starfield and Redfall were planned to release on rival Sony's PS5 console.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/s...ts-zenimax-acquisition-ftc-says/1100-6515427/

so was Indiana Jones game

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Uncle Phil right now:
Awkward Uh Oh GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Ansphn

I don't know how Microsoft can defend this in court when they made games from Bethesda exclusive then turn around and say but future games will not be when they're brought to court. Then why make Starfield and Indiana Jones exclusive?Also 10 year contracts but we can't let you see the details of the contract. Just trust us.

Last edited:

VAVA Mk2

Guess we’re about to finally know for sure if Sony wanted to buy timed exclusivity.
Sony always wants to buy timed exclusivity. Microsoft has gotten boned by it for the last gen. Probably part of what has pushed MS to buy Bethesda/Zenimax and ABK. Microsoft might not be good to gobble up stuff, but Sony has been no saint either the last decade or so signing up exclusivity deals to keep games off XBox. I am not saying buying ABK is the answer, but there needs to be something to make Sony sweat and be competitive through means that are not paying to keep games off other platforms.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
I thought it took two parties to sign a contract? ABK does it for the money but Sony did it to starve their competitor at the beginning of the generation.

But people act as if only Sony is the bad boeboe. While ABK helps to “starve” the competition. So neither ABK gives a fuck about the competition, when they sign a deal with Sony. And sometimes the publisher is the one contacting the platform holder for these deals.

Chukhopops

I don't know how Microsoft can defend this in court when they made games from Bethesda exclusive then turn around and say but future games will not be when they're brought to court. Then why make Starfield and Indiana Jones exclusive?Also 10 year contracts but we can't let you see the details of the contract. Just trust us.
They said they would keep Minecraft multiplat and they did.

They said some games would be exclusive the same day they bought Bethesda and some have been.

Sounds like they stayed true to their word each time?

graywolf323

Sony always wants to buy timed exclusivity. Microsoft has gotten boned by it for the last gen. Probably part of what has pushed MS to buy Bethesda/Zenimax and ABK. Microsoft might not be good to gobble up stuff, but Sony has been no saint either the last decade or so signing up exclusivity deals to keep games off XBox. I am not saying buying ABK is the answer, but there needs to be something to make Sony sweat and be competitive through means that are not paying to keep games off other platforms.
DeepEnigma DeepEnigma check it out, we’re all the way back to the ”It’s Sony’s fault that Microsoft has to buy publishers” narrative again

VAVA Mk2

DeepEnigma DeepEnigma check it out, we’re all the way back to the ”It’s Sony’s fault that Microsoft has to buy publishers” narrative again
That is not the only reason. They have proven that they suck internally at creating and fostering their own dev studios (look at 343i) so they wanted to acquire other publishers/devs to get exclusive IP. My point, though, is Sony has been signing deals with third party publishers (i.e. Square) to get exclusivity on games or exclusive content like DLC, weapons, cosmetics, maps, etc to draw people to PS and away from XBox. Look at Destiny (before Sony bought Bungie) or CoD and it's marketing and content exclusivity deals.

VAVA Mk2

Turn 10, Coalition and Playground 2nd Studio. Even before purchase Playground was almost entirely raised by MS and Turn 10.
Turn 10 and Playground are great but that is 2 studios. I have heard mixed feelings on Coalition. I'm not the biggest Gears fan. That pales in comparison to the amount of successful studios/IPs Nintendo and Sony both have.

Top Bottom