• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox expected Starfield to sell 10 million copies on PS5 but decided it's worth more as an exclusive

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
You're so delusional due to a lack of self awareness that there's just no point.
You're literally behaving like a child.

Keep doing you

PS: the whole irony thing doesn't suit you, you're not as smart as you think you are
th

How do you see yourself as a poster. You should probably spend some time and reflect on that before you try analyzing others. What do you contribute of value? Calling people that you disagree with astroturfers and shills. Protecting sony from any and all criticism and working to convert the pagans. I just don't see your value as I'm sure you don't see mine. There's a thing called ignore, you might want to use.
This is hilarious

I regularly see Sony fans not liking some of their games or things about their games, disagreeing with sonys decisions and calling out Sony for things they don't like on this forum.

I never ever see any of you lot calling Xbox out when they're in the wrong or fuck up. It's always a circle jerk of defence force, sonys fault or completely avoiding topics . Barely saw any greens in those email threads for example.

Prime example your poster boy Riky Riky unironically called redfall a 10/10 goty..
Seriously? How can anyone argue that in good faith without being a deluded shill/fanboy.

Looking forward to your non-rebuttal as per usual.

CatLady

This is hilarious

I regularly see Sony fans not liking some of their games or things about their games, disagreeing with sonys decisions and calling out Sony for things they don't like on this forum.

I never ever see any of you lot calling Xbox out when they're in the wrong or fuck up. It's always a circle jerk of defence force, sonys fault or completely avoiding topics . Barely saw any greens in those email threads for example.

Prime example your poster boy Riky Riky unironically called redfall a 10/10 goty..
Seriously? How can anyone argue that in good faith without being a deluded shill/fanboy.

Looking forward to your non-rebuttal as per usual.

That's hilarious, he was probably joking. Although I haven't looked at it, based on review scores and individuals accounts I really don't think there's a chance in hell it's a 10/10. The game looked pretty crappy to begin with and then the reviews came. There is no way I'm going to subject myself to finding out firsthand. I will take the reviewers word for it and find something actually fun to play when I finish Zelda.

CatLady

Is that signifying he seriously thinks it's a 10. What can I say he's entitled to his opinion and to each his own I guess. The characters look retarded and unlikable, the gameplay is supposed to be terrible what to like. I really like the Arkane, but I can't support this trash. I hope they can come back from this.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Bethesda were the ones shopping Deathloop and Ghostwire as an exclusive, and were shipping Starfield too. Sony didn't start that conversation in all cases. It was confirmed in a US court.

Then that means Sony made a mistake not starting a conversation for this. Microsoft made a right choice.

H-I-M

Xbox hardware (and subscription) slightly up in the US and dangerously down in EU on Starfield's release month.

I wonder if it was worth the sacrifice.

Zyd3hR8.gif

CeeJay

In reality, how many PS only players are still regretting Starfield not coming to their platform of choice?

Personally I was kinda looking forward to it but purely based on the reception it has got both critically and from people on here I haven't even bothered to play it and that's when I can access it for free with my GP sub.

Mowcno

In reality, how many PS only players are still regretting Starfield not coming to their platform of choice?

Personally I was kinda looking forward to it but purely based on the reception it has got both critically and from people on here I haven't even bothered to play it and that's when I can access it for free with my GP sub.
I made the mistake of getting the early access for Starfield. Fallout 3, 4 and Skyrim are 3 of my most played and beloved games. Starfield I sunk 6 hours into it and turned it off. I think perhaps one day it can be something but right now... No it's not for me. This statement of it being worth more as a console exclusive than 10m software sales is an interesting read after sales of xbox hardware declined 35% YoY in Europe in it's launch month. What did it achieve as a console exclusive? Was that worth the almost half a billion you could have probably made from the supposed 10m sales on PlayStation? Or even more with DLC on top of that?

Personally I will give Starfield another chance in the future to win me over. But probably not till the end of next year.

Last edited:

Duchess

I'm not. I was one of those who was pissed that MS has bought Bethesda. Having now seen the game, I'm certain I'm not missing out on anything.

I've also lost interest in Elder Scrolls 6, as I can't see Bethesda doing anything special with it.

The magic is fading.

mejin

Xbox hardware (and subscription) slightly up in the US and dangerously down in EU on Starfield's release month.

Zyd3hR8.gif
mqdefault.jpg

GHG

Zyd3hR8.gif

The only thing they've missed out on is duping a bunch of PS only gamers.

Unknown?

Zyd3hR8.gif
Looking like they needed that extra 10 million. Watch it drop off a cliff next few months.

Its definitely not worth playing now, it's no Skyrim, not even close. It's even worse than Fallout 4 which is an achievement in and of itself.

Famipan

There are so many games out there already and in my backlog that I’m glad Starfield ditched PS.
Less games to care about.

And I will continue to avoid GamePass since I believe in purchasing game licenses directly which supports the developers more compared to subscription services, where each developer’s revenue is dependent on how good deal they sign up on initially.

Zyd3hR8.gif

200.gif

lol

Last edited:

Ansphn

Honestly I wouldn't have played it anyways even if it came to PS5. So many next generation games on PS5 and I heard Starfield is load screens after load screens. No thanks.

But I bet some Bethesda fans would still buy the game on PS5. I think it was a huge blunder by Phil again. Seriously, Xbox needs to do 3rd party because Xbox console sales dropped 35% even with Starfield. Their base is going to PC, PlayStation, and Nintendo.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

I can purchase it on PC and play it, but I'm not buying it after I saw the game, the poor reception, and countless issues. I even had it on my Steam wishlist before release.

Things could have been different if it were on the level of TLOU, God of War, Horizon Forbidden West, Returnal, Spider-Man, etc.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

Nobody is doing this.
PS only gamers rather have the more successful exclusives that are released on its platforms.

soulbait

Its definitely not worth playing now, it's no Skyrim, not even close. It's even worse than Fallout 4 which is an achievement in and of itself.

I agree it is not as good as Skyrim, but I do find it better than Fallout 4. I could never get myself back to play Fallout 4 and complete it. I just got bored and lost interest with it too quickly. I am still hooked to Starfield. There is just something about it that has set it hooks into me, warts and all.

I don't understand all the hate for the game, but I also know it is not a 10/10 game either. I would probably settle around 8/10 at this point, due to me still having a ton of fun in it.

On the contrary, Xbox execs testified in court that Game Pass is cannibalising game sales.

Indeed. The challenge now is to rapidly grow subscribers or it's curtains.

They've got annual development budgets from all their studios totalling hundreds of million if not a billion+ and seemingly can't rely on sales of games to prop up the potential shortfall.

I just don't see Gamepass reaching 100m users in the time span they wanted. Especially now that Sony are seemingly going harder on PC. The market has shown that their output is more desirable and their PC efforts for the most part have been received well.

I had initially thought that Xbox were going to play it smart and keep their acquired publisher games multiplat and take advantage of the large userbases PlayStation always pulls.

Currently it feels like they are cutting their nose off to spite their face.

PaintTinJr

The only thing they've missed out on is duping a bunch of PS only gamers.
I would argue that they've missed out on PlayStation approval process feedback and potential dev support to make the game closer to what they wanted it to be.

In a world where Microsoft don't buy Zenimax and Bethesda takes a 12 month console exclusive deal from PlayStation, how does this game turn out? Same ? Worse? Or better?

Given PlayStation's instincts for great games, and technical prowess for great HDR, the game either releases late and is superior IMO, or the marketing and expectation is dialled back, doing less overall damage to gamers.

quest

Not Banned from OT
I would argue that they've missed out on PlayStation approval process feedback and potential dev support to make the game closer to what they wanted it to be.

In a world where Microsoft don't buy Zenimax and Bethesda takes a 12 month console exclusive deal from PlayStation, how does this game turn out? Same ? Worse? Or better?

Given PlayStation's instincts for great games, and technical prowess for great HDR, the game either releases late and is superior IMO, or the marketing and expectation is dialled back, doing less overall damage to gamers.

Would of been a hell of a lot worse it would of released 1-2 years sooner because zenimax needed money. You think Sony could fix the creation engine lol.

Sales would be "huge" on the smallest platform with the fewest game sales?

Yeah Right Judging You GIF

Even Starfield, the biggest Xbox exclusive, sold less on Xbox and sold more on PC.

"Huge" sales on the platform where games sell the least?

Even when they release console exclusive games they don't even sell the more on Xbox.

On the contrary, Xbox execs testified in court that Game Pass is cannibalising game sales.
Indeed at this point in time, there is no need for any publisher to publish on XBox unless they get that gamepass cash. I would love to see detailed software sales breakdown by platform back in NPD reports.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Agreed! Just look at how silent those Xbox fans were when FFVXI was releasing! You could almost hear crickets!

And it wasn’t even a first party game, just an exclusive. They didn’t spend 7.5 billy on it either. Took a dump on the game for only being 88 on Opencritic (ain’t that funny now), and *checks data* 10th for US YTD as of August, 12th as of last month, on one platform with no GP + Early Access shenanigans mixed in. All while all while singing the prophecy of Starfield and Zelda sitting on a tree…

Can’t wait for the next three NPDs. Woe is me themed party coming up don’t forget your clown shoes and water.

Last edited:

TheTony316

Bethesda just isn't what it used to be. If this was the Bethesda of old (Morrowind, Oblivion), i'd be pissed as a PS5 player but after trying Fallout76 and Starfield...Nah, I'm good.

GHG

Game Pass only has over 30 million subscribers son

3 times the 10 million copies from the op tread title

Aside from the fact that this isn't wants being discussed, how much money does that make them on a per-title basis vs traditional sales?

It's like people forget about the fact that the subscription revenue needs to be distributed across the entire gamepass catalogue (~300 games at the time of writing), it doesn't all just go to one game of your fancy at any particular time.

Kerotan

Zyd3hR8.gif
Microsoft are a cancer to the industry. They remove a big AAA game from the most popular system it was already in development for.

And despite all that their sales fall the month it launches. Just parthetic.

Oh boy, I was wondering when this thread would pop back up.

Should have released on all platforms possible to increase revenue. Easily the biggest disappointment of the year.

chilichote

Zyd3hR8.gif
Not only did they not harm Sony, they didn't benefit at all from it^^

chilichote

I was actually interested and thought about buying a Series S (which you can get used in Germany for around €125, btw), but when the first gameplays were shown shortly before the release, I knew that the game would be boring as hell... and let it be.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Indeed. The challenge now is to rapidly grow subscribers or it's curtains.

They've got annual development budgets from all their studios totalling hundreds of million if not a billion+ and seemingly can't rely on sales of games to prop up the potential shortfall.

I just don't see Gamepass reaching 100m users in the time span they wanted. Especially now that Sony are seemingly going harder on PC. The market has shown that their output is more desirable and their PC efforts for the most part have been received well.

I had initially thought that Xbox were going to play it smart and keep their acquired publisher games multiplat and take advantage of the large userbases PlayStation always pulls.

Currently it feels like they are cutting their nose off to spite their face.
Not to mention they're also trying to push Gamepass in an era where people are cancelling subscriptions. Nobody talks about that. To be fair, MS is the only one offering AAA games.

Top Bottom