• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox expected Starfield to sell 10 million copies on PS5 but decided it's worth more as an exclusive

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Microsoft are a cancer to the industry. They remove a big AAA game from the most popular system it was already in development for.

And despite all that their sales fall the month it launches. Just parthetic.

But, but... "when we all play we all win", amirite ? 😁

I don't give 2 fooks about sales numbers between consoles, I don't care which is the "best" one to play on, I don't care about people fighting over video games of all things...
Wanna play Halo, Forza, Gears ? Get an Xbox, wanna play God of war, Uncharted, TLOU2 and GT ? Get a PlayStation, wanna play Zelda and Mario games ? Get a Nintendo console, it's simple really - what I do care though is cancerous, abysmal, hypocritical and absolutely BS goody two-shoes PR bullshit, shit's so transparent that it's actually funny, and yet, I really, really don't get how some people fall for it.

Shakka43

In reality, how many PS only players are still regretting Starfield not coming to their platform of choice?

Personally I was kinda looking forward to it but purely based on the reception it has got both critically and from people on here I haven't even bothered to play it and that's when I can access it for free with my GP sub.
As a PS5/PC owner I was interested in the game until they revealed you couldn't fly into planets by yourself. Exploring the galaxies and entering different planets' atmospheric fields with realistic graphics was all I cared about. NMS does this but I'm not too into that games' neon punk graphics.

• Strength
Reactions: GHG

PaintTinJr

Would of been a hell of a lot worse it would of released 1-2 years sooner because zenimax needed money. You think Sony could fix the creation engine lol.
How do you work that out? If PlayStation had paid £100M for a 12month console exclusive deal and were offering dev support, the game would have landed when it was in a good shape, like all exclusives do, no?

Trying to make the games failings about the creation engine is a false argument. You could add a first class engine and game programmer of Carmack's capability to work with the engine and he'd find the source of problems in under two months, because in the same way someone sending a rocket into space starts by picking strategies that minimise risk of software bugs, he - or someone at the same tier - would do the same and turn the engine into a processing centric solution that treats data in a more bulk process generic way, to eliminate issues and maximise throughput. Crap strategies can cripple any engine. Just think how much more RAM and how much less increase in data processing Starfield does on XsS/XsX compared to Skyrim on PS3's measly 256GB dedicated RAM and shared GDDR3 - between RAM and VRAM - and then tell me this is a engine specific constrained issue. It isn't, it just needs refactoring by someone with System analysis skills like an engine developer to change the strategy....something which a successful PlayStation probably has in abundance to help others.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
That sounds like the worst Thing they could do buisness wise.

I think Ur right
Revenue wise it would do wonders at that point it's free money. But it's pretty much means that Gamepass didn't move the needle all that much.
Too little, too late...

The game didn't deliver in both quality and sales...

Those 10M copies cannot be recovered
No doubt. there was little chance they would ever recover the 10M sales they would lose. In fact, I'd expect 3-5M at that point.

Last edited:
How do you work that out? If PlayStation had paid £100M for a 12month console exclusive deal and were offering dev support, the game would have landed when it was in a good shape, like all exclusives do, no?

Trying to make the games failings about the creation engine is a false argument. You could add a first class engine and game programmer of Carmack's capability to work with the engine and he'd find the source of problems in under two months, because in the same way someone sending a rocket into space starts by picking strategies that minimise risk of software bugs, he - or someone at the same tier - would do the same and turn the engine into a processing centric solution that treats data in a more bulk process generic way, to eliminate issues and maximise throughput. Crap strategies can cripple any engine. Just think how much more RAM and how much less increase in data processing Starfield does on XsS/XsX compared to Skyrim on PS3's measly 256GB dedicated RAM and shared GDDR3 - between RAM and VRAM - and then tell me this is a engine specific constrained issue. It isn't, it just needs refactoring by someone with System analysis skills like an engine developer to change the strategy....something which a successful PlayStation probably has in abundance to help others.
Seriously are you even typing this with a straight face? So if this was a PS console exclusive some wonder mind at PS would have fixed all the problems the creation engine has? 🤣

PaintTinJr

Seriously are you even typing this with a straight face? So if this was a PS console exclusive some wonder mind at PS would have fixed all the problems the creation engine has? 🤣
Specifically, unlike Skyrim's memory leaks on PS3, what specific Creation issues are you atributing to Strarfied's commercial issues that couldn't have been easily fixed by it being supported as a 12mont exclusive on PS5?

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

I don't give 2 fooks about sales numbers between consoles, I don't care which is the "best" one to play on, I don't care about people fighting over video games of all things...
Wanna play Halo, Forza, Gears ? Get an Xbox, wanna play God of war, Uncharted, TLOU2 and GT ? Get a PlayStation, wanna play Zelda and Mario games ? Get a Nintendo console, it's simple really - what I do care though is cancerous, abysmal, hypocritical and absolutely BS goody two-shoes PR bullshit, shit's so transparent that it's actually funny, and yet, I really, really don't get how some people fall for it.
You don't care about sales, but MS doesn't really seem to care much either because their consoles sell like shit.

Buying publishers means nothing if it's only to undermine Sony and to stay relevant.
Output still is mediocre and it doesn't seem like much will change.

MacReady13

I made the mistake of getting the early access for Starfield. Fallout 3, 4 and Skyrim are 3 of my most played and beloved games. Starfield I sunk 6 hours into it and turned it off. I think perhaps one day it can be something but right now... No it's not for me. This statement of it being worth more as a console exclusive than 10m software sales is an interesting read after sales of xbox hardware declined 35% YoY in Europe in it's launch month. What did it achieve as a console exclusive? Was that worth the almost half a billion you could have probably made from the supposed 10m sales on PlayStation? Or even more with DLC on top of that?

Personally I will give Starfield another chance in the future to win me over. But probably not till the end of next year.
Microsoft gaming division sadly at the moment are only looking at 1 thing- putting on more "content" into their stupid sub service. So long as they have companies to pump content into their sub service, they're happy it seems, no matter the quality of the content.

Atrus

Gold Member
How many have they sold in total? I expect Starfield to be the lowest selling Bethesda rpg in a long while.

Given the results, they probably should have released it on as many platforms as possible to bolster the new IP.

Gambit2483

The only thing Im excited about with this game is to see what sales numbers will be, because 99% of people will be playing via RentPass.

Even with that percentage being hyperbole I bet it'll still end up being Bethesdas lowest selling game. Renting it for a month doesnt count as a sale, kids.

Microsoft on release week: "3 million downloads via GamePass"

"Well what about sales numbers?"

Dave Chapelle GIF by MOODMAN
Apparently Forza Motorsport couldn't even crack Amazon's 100 best sellers list. I'm not sure if that says more about Forza or about the Gamepass effect of physical (and maybe even digital) sales

Neofire

While I despise that MS removed a title that was already in development from a platform, I agree with your statement.

Withnail

I wouldn’t be surprised if it comes to PS5 at some point but to be honest the IP is already tarnished through over hyping and under delivering.

Plenty of MS/ABK games will be day and date on PS platforms in the future without a doubt.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I wouldn’t be surprised if it comes to PS5 at some point but to be honest the IP is already tarnished through over hyping and under delivering.

Plenty of MS/ABK games will be day and date on PS platforms in the future without a doubt.
I would say that Starfield could be rescued by DLC, but the no amount of DLC will fix the fundamental issue most have with the game: Lack of exploration. They can't bring back the magic of wandering to an objective and then being veered off the beaten path to find another settlement and a new story. I remember running into a random person and it blossomed into a full blown daedric quest in Skyrim. In a galaxy system they can't really add something like that in. It was replaced with random encounters.

People criticize the graphics, the stiff animations. Whatever. I don't give a shit about that. I can put up with that.

If Starfield came to PS5, I have a hard time believing it wouldn't sell at least 3M copies.

Last edited:

Astray

Gold Member
I don't think it's as clear-cut as you think it is.

No Man's Sky launch version was a Sony timed exclusive that supposedly had that kind of support and it didn't do great.

Dick Jones

Gold Member

No Man's Sky launch version was a Sony timed exclusive that supposedly had that kind of support and it didn't do great.
The game ran fine. The issue with NMS was no PR support to Hello Games. Seán Murray overpromised on features that would not be at launch and when the game came out people were duped. The game's free updates brought the game to what was promised. Hopefully it is a learning moment for Hello Games. They did the right thing and worked away at it. They could have easily ran off with the money.

PaintTinJr

Take your pick. No Man's Sky (launch disc version which I have)still represents the best ever version of Star wars or Last Star fighter, (original) Battle Star Galactica style planet entry and exit of any game to date IMO and even in its launch state is a fantastic game experience whether talking AA or AAA games.

I personally had no issue with what I got for the measly sum of under £40 at launch, and everything they've added since has just been amazing bonus.

It is ironic you'd mention Hello Games, because Murray and his team is exactly what Starfield development would have benefitted from, so I find it quite saddening in an almost Beckham hate campaign type of way, that a passionate, enthusiastic developer making a GaaS was basically hauled over the coals for delivering a fresh product that wasn't quite at the GaaS milestones it had been showcased at.

If all publisher put out AA games at No Man's Sky's AA launch level with amazing new immersive features like they did - with some AA bugs and temporary A - AA content limitations - and then worked tirelessly to make it everything they could and more for 8years, the games industry would be in a much better state and the whole discussion around Starfield would be different. Features in the launch disc of No Man's Sky still aren't implemented in a massive 250 million dollar developed AAA game in the same genre 8years later and you think just adding developer support from ability at Murray's level from Sony wouldn't have improved Starfield, still?

Last edited:

elmos-acc

I'm going little bit off-topic, but is it even reasonable to assume that Starfield would ever have been a PS console exclusive, even if MS didn't buy Zenimax? It's a new big RPG title from Bethesda, not Deathloop or Ghostwire: Tokyo - scale game that needs a little bit of funding and marketing push from a platform holder.

And I do not think that timed-exclusives get a significant amount of support from Sony. Maybe if it is an indie studio, but Zenimax has pretty much all the same resources as SIE.

PaintTinJr

I'm going little bit off-topic, but is it even reasonable to assume that Starfield would ever have been a PS console exclusive, even if MS didn't buy Zenimax? It's a new big RPG title from Bethesda, not Deathloop or Ghostwire: Tokyo - scale game that needs a little bit of funding and marketing push from a platform holder.

And I do not think that timed-exclusives get a significant amount of support from Sony. Maybe if it is an indie studio, but Zenimax has pretty much all the same resources as SIE.
Microsoft bought Zenimax because PlayStation were interested in making Starfield a timed-exclusive because Bethesda needed extra funds, and IIRC Square-Enix has already mention recently that their deals with PlayStation is as much about the development support as it is the money.

Mortisfacio

This is a boring game though let's be honest how many hours in till you gave up?

I'm giving up at the 17 hour mark. I think it was IGN that said "It's not often I recommend a game that takes 10+ hours to get good, but that's just the kind of game Starfield is" or something along those lines. At the 17 hour mark I'm just getting burned out on the running around talking to people or useless side quests like "Go get my coffee!". It's just... not fun. I'm willing to reserve that it might be bias or burnout, though. Just spent 100+ hours on BG3 and another 100+ hours replaying CyberPunk and the expansion. Another long open world game to follow might just not be the right timing.

Ansphn

Honestly I don't think this game would sell 10 millions even if it was on PlayStation. Fallout 4 released on PlayStation and it didn't sell 10 millions. Bethesda is not longer at the peak popularity.

Stuart360

I guess they really want those 10m sales now. That might be a difficult given the critical reception of the game. A simultaneous launch would have helped
Most of the negativity around the game is manufactured. Make no mistake this well sell on Playstation.

I'm just waiting for all the 'Actually the games not that bad' posts lol.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Most of the negativity around the game is manufactured. Make no mistake this well sell on Playstation.

I'm just waiting for all the 'Actually the games not that bad' posts lol.

I guess there's going to be fun to had from all sides. Laughing at how badly microsoft miss judged how these acquisitions and gamepass etc is going to deliver entertainment for a long time.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Lawd...

I had to see what I posted....

Whew. There is a saying "Money Talks and Bullshit Walks" Sometimes its just "Money Talks."

Either way....it never made financial sense. They bet on it moving alot of consoles or subs and it didnt do either one.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Lawd...

I had to see what I posted....

Whew. There is a saying "Money Talks and Bullshit Walks" Sometimes its just "Money Talks."

Either way....it never made financial sense. They bet on it moving alot of consoles or subs and it didnt do either one.

This was exactly it. They took a bet and it didn't work in the slightest. They have no option but to go third party now. They've inherited thousands of staff that need wages covered. They've fucked it completely.

They better hope sony and nintendo owners buy the games or they are screwed.

I bet Phil and Co are fucking screaming that they didnt make this decision while the court case was going on. They could have probably avoided a shit load of head ache.

This was exactly it. They took a bet and it didn't work in the slightest. They have no option but to go third party now. They've inherited thousands of staff that need wages covered. They've fucked it completely.

They better hope sony and nintendo owners buy the games or they are screwed.

I bet Phil and Co are fucking screaming that they didnt make this decision while the court case was going on. They could have probably avoided a shit load of head ache.

Star field could have been the next Skyrim but Todd failed

IVerjTN.jpg

Who's call was it to let these games all go multiplatform?

Seems not too long ago Xbox seemed all too keen to keep StarField exclusive?

Is Phil still in a job? Why the massive u-turn on all their prized IP's?

I have SOOO MANY QUESTIONS? What a wild day

Last edited:
Top Bottom