• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield | What aspect of Starfield excites you the most?

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Firefly is a great idea!
My plan for my main character is to create a Han Solo variant, not the typical hero and some scummy side jobs but still good-hearted. Maybe I can name the droid Chewie and let him wear a fur wig 😁
simpsons-shh.gif

Ribi

Obviously you didn’t watch the deep dive. What a dumb comment, regardless. Very, very dumb. Maybe you just thought your comment was too funny or clever to pass up.

Thanks for stopping by
I mean... It's probably exactly that with space in between each location.

A playable area/map broken up in segments across the "planet" with all the Bethesda goodies. I don't expect this to be anything other than a Bethesda game with space to break up each time you wanna go to a new playable area

Zannegan

Honestly? The jetpacks. Love a good jetpack game.

I also like how there is evidently different gravity on different planets, another mechanic I love in games.

Fredrik

I mean... It's probably exactly that with space in between each location.

A playable area/map broken up in segments across the "planet" with all the Bethesda goodies. I don't expect this to be anything other than a Bethesda game with space to break up each time you wanna go to a new playable area
If you’re going to compare it to other games, choose No Man’s Sky, no Fallout 4.

Going by pre-release videos Starfield honestly has enough similarities with No Man’s Sky that Hello Games could probably try to sue Bethesda if they so wanted.
Parts of them look close enough that I wonder if some key people has jumped from one team to the other at some point during the development. Or maybe they both has evolved from the same NASA space civilization paper or something idk

But neither company has talked about the other company’s game though so I’m thinking they both realize it’s good PR for them to be compared, at least right now.

Things Starfield do almost identical to No Man’s Sky:
* universe with procedurally generated planets
* planets are created when you are close
* jet pack traversal
* mining resources with laser
* automatic resource mining machinery
* use resources you gather to earn money
* base building with modules
* base modules crafted from resources
* do research for new base and gear parts
* rewards for scanning creatures on a planet
* rewards for scanning all fauna on a planet
* get a call from other spaceships
* looks like you can harvest plants in the base too and have a round bio-dome with plants

Either way, as a No Man’s Sky fan I just see this as good things, I get a more slimmed down AAA No Man’s Sky RPG and I realize I’ll never get one good enough through Hello Games.

Last edited:

Fredrik

This is t gonna be anything like no mans sky
Besides all the things I mentioned…

Really, it’s going to be like a AAA No Man’s Sky RPG. And anyone who think that’s a bad thing haven’t played No Man’s Sky in a long time. It’s going to be awesome.

Ribi

If you’re going to compare it to other games, choose No Man’s Sky, no Fallout 4.

Going by pre-release videos Starfield honestly has enough similarities with No Man’s Sky that Hello Games could probably try to sue Bethesda if they so wanted.
Parts of them look close enough that I wonder if some key people has jumped from one team to the other at some point during the development. Or maybe they both has evolved from the same NASA space civilization paper or something idk

But neither company has talked about the other company’s game though so I’m thinking they both realize it’s good PR for them to be compared, at least right now.

* jet pack traversal
* looks like you can harvest plants in the base too and have a round bio-dome with plants

Either way, as a No Man’s Sky fan I just see this as good things, I get a more slimmed down AAA No Man’s Sky RPG and I realize I’ll never get one good enough through Hello Games.
Ok odah

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Besides all the things I mentioned…

Really, it’s going to be like a AAA No Man’s Sky RPG. And anyone who think that’s a bad thing haven’t played No Man’s Sky in a long time. It’s going to be awesome.

I’m giving No Man’s Sky another chance tonight. I need something to play between now and September 1st.

Robbinhood

Banned
Honestly, the combat.

I really grew to dislike Skyrim and Fallout games, after really loving Oblivion. Part of that is the abysmal combat.

Starfield looks much improved on that front, even the running superman punch I saw made the melee nice as well.

I'm not huge on space games, I would rather have TES6 with these improvements but if its more like interstellar than Star Wars (exploration, crazy unexpected stuff in distant planets) than I can dig it.

93xfan

Banned
* jet pack traversal
These are common to games and also sci fi.

You forgot to mention:
-Has achievements
-Let’s you create a human character
-Has you press a button at the title screen to proceed
-has progression
-has futuristic gear
-has space ships
-Has living creatures

Last edited:

Fredrik

These are common to games and also sci fi.

You forgot to mention:
-Has achievements
-Let’s you create a human character
-Has you press a button at the title screen to proceed
-has progression
-has futuristic gear
-has space ships
-Has living creatures
Okay could you list another game that does what No Man’s Sky does?

93xfan

Banned
I
Any game will use procedural generation for such a large amount of content. Procedural generation is nothing new for both large and also massive games.
Tech limitation likely, but many hand crafted places in Starfield
* jet pack traversal
Halo Reach, some Rare game from the 90s
Common sci fi theme. Metroid Prime has it in one of its puzzles
Common sci fi theme. Metroid Prime has it in the phasing mines.
Skyrim, Diablo, etc
Not exclusive to No Man’s Sky
Fallout 4
Metroid Prime Remaster.
Metroid
Firefly, and any other sci fi show
Sounds a lot like green houses
Okay could you list another game that does what No Man’s Sky does?
There’s many things this game does that No Man’s Sky wishes it had. It will be quite different in many, many ways. Sure there will inevitably be overlap, but this will be a very fresh and whole different experience that you can’t get anywhere else.

didn’t mean to come off as critical. Glad we’re both excited for this game. I just think the description was selling this game short.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Any game will use procedural generation for such a large amount of content. Procedural generation is nothing new for both large and also massive games.

Tech limitation likely, but many hand crafted places in Starfield

Halo Reach, some Rare game from the 90s

Common sci fi theme. Metroid Prime has it in one of its puzzles

Common sci fi theme. Metroid Prime has it in the phasing mines.

Skyrim, Diablo, etc

Not exclusive to No Man’s Sky

Fallout 4

Metroid Prime Remaster.

Metroid

Firefly, and any other sci fi show

Sounds a lot like green houses

There’s many things this game does that No Man’s Sky wishes it had. It will be quite different in many, many ways. Sure there will inevitably be overlap, but this will be a very fresh and whole different experience that you can’t get anywhere else.

didn’t mean to come off as critical. Glad we’re both excited for this game. I just think the description was selling this game short.
You’re just listing games that are doing one or two things. I’m talking about games that are doing ALL that. That’s why the No Man’s Sky comparisons are brought up in Starfield discussions, it’s doing all that, and possibly more things. I don’t know any other game that does all that. But maybe you do?

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
You’re just listing games that are doing one or two things. I’m talking about games that are doing ALL that. That’s why the No Man’s Sky comparisons are brought up in Starfield discussions, it’s doing all that, and possibly more things. I don’t know any other game that does all that. But maybe you do?

To be honest, all similarities to No Man's Sky were unavoidable. This is a natural evolution of Fallout 4 explore-loot-build formula but set in space.

93xfan

Banned
I don’t other than maybe that PC game that slips my mind.

Do you think both games will play similarly and have a similar experience? If that’s a definitive “no”, then we’re on the same page.

Fredrik

I don’t other than maybe that PC game that slips my mind.

Do you think both games will play similarly and have a similar experience? If that’s a definitive “no”, then we’re on the same page.
Well, no. That’s why I say it looks like AAA No Man’s Sky RPG. There is no real roleplaying in No Man’s Sky, just some simplistic quest mechanics. But the gameplay loop where you explore a somewhat procedurally generated universe with tons of planets and gather resources to build your base and new gear etc is all there. Seems a lot more evolved compared to Bethesda’s previous games, and for some reason evolved to look very much like in No Man’s Sky.
Again, this is not a dis, I have 500+ hours clocked on NMS, any game are free to do things like NMS as far as I’m concerned.

Krathoon

I hope there is kind of Star Control 2 feel to the game. Like you run into some aliens and have trouble translating their language.

93xfan

Banned
The combat looks amazing. If they nail that, I'm good.
I’m in regardless.

Exploring large futuristic cities. Enjoying beautiful worlds and seeing the time of day changes, modding weapons and building bases. Can’t wait!!

salva

when are we going to see a new trailer or some footage. Pretty much just over 1.5 months away from release.

ebevan91

when are we going to see a new trailer or some footage. Pretty much just over 1.5 months away from release.

I'm assuming some time in August because of the whole play 5 days early with the limited edition.

But to answer the OP, definitely looking forward to exploring and meeting the factions of the game.

Last edited:

drganon

I better be able to steal and loot everything not nailed down. It's not a Bethesda game without the option to be a klepto.

amigastar

I have not. It's a PC game, right? Recommend?
It depends, most people enjoying Elex have played the Gothic games in their youth. But i like Elex 1 and 2 which has jetpacks. It's also available on consoles.
I would say if you can get it for cheap then do it, its really worth it.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I have not. It's a PC game, right? Recommend?
If you like bethesda rpg and don't mind very janky combat (2 is better combat wise) and being a bitch for the first 10-15 hours (also depend on how much you explore and what loot you find) then the games are decent\ok.

It's on pc and console.

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned
Preordered the premium edition on Steam through Cdkeys, although it only cost me 74 euro's.

I can do Gamepass on PC but I want to use mods eventually, and I assume the GP version won't support real mod support

Very excited!!

Just hope my 3070 + Ryzen 5700x + 32gb ram will be good enough for a nice fps @1440p

Last edited:
Top Bottom