• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield | What aspect of Starfield excites you the most?

Markio128

MtZ9N.gif
I’m not going to lie - I’d love if the game was coming to PS5 just so I could play it with the dualsense and live in hope that it may get a PSVR 2 update at some point. But, I ain‘t going to cut my nose off to spite my face.

93xfan

Banned
I go back and forth on so much on what gets me most excited.

A Bethesda RPG with what looks to be fun combat.

Exploring and just being enjoying the beautiful views.

Getting immersed with these massive cities.

EDMIX

I don’t know why EDMIX EDMIX laughed at you here, this is a well-known aspect of Bethesda’s RPGs, Todd called it Step-Out Moment. Oblivion has my favorite too, I’ll never forget when I got out of that starter cave and stepped out on that huge and lush map for the first time. 11/10 moment right there. 👌
Todd said that Starfield will have two step-out moments.
Can’t wait!

The lolz, you guys are way too fucking sensitive lol I'm not doubting it being known in their RPGs, merely found it funny that anyone thinks something was ruined by being outside vs inside. The motif of being a prisoner being set free is the common thing there, both titles have that.

Though like the contrast of going from some dungeon prison to outside in the fresh air (ques that fucking good ass Oblivion music) , the thing happening in Skyrim merely has a conceptual contrast as oppose to a physical one, the idea remains the same.

I like both tbh.

Its likely that Starfield mixes the 2

I go back and forth on so much on what gets me most excited.

A Bethesda RPG with what looks to be fun combat.

Exploring and just being enjoying the beautiful views.

Getting immersed with these massive cities.

I'm ok if the combat is serviceable at best, the general idea of what they do excites me more then anything else.

The combat being really fun would just be a massive bonus for me. I've never played Elder Scrolls or Fallout for their combat, they are able to convey their points well with serviceable combat, but the main idea was always that interaction, those lively cities, joining guilds, the function of the world and how it supports the narrative. As in, those games don't merely tell you about crime, people will pick pocket you, you can do the same to them lol The idea of what they are saying, exist as a real function to then support the narrative to make the game feel more real.

So imho, someone can tell me the combat is lessor then Fallout 3 and its still 100% a day 1.

93xfan

Banned
I feel I’m going to be enjoying the astronaut aspect quite a bit. Getting somewhere and just enjoying the beauty of both the landscape and the skybox.

They seem to be suggesting they’re simulating not just planet rotation, but the moons circling the planets. Such a cool thing.

I’m just amazed there’s a company putting together an experience like this.

93xfan

Banned
The lolz, you guys are way too fucking sensitive lol I'm not doubting it being known in their RPGs, merely found it funny that anyone thinks something was ruined by being outside vs inside. The motif of being a prisoner being set free is the common thing there, both titles have that.

Though like the contrast of going from some dungeon prison to outside in the fresh air (ques that fucking good ass Oblivion music) , the thing happening in Skyrim merely has a conceptual contrast as oppose to a physical one, the idea remains the same.

I like both tbh.

I'm ok if the combat is serviceable at best, the general idea of what they do excites me more then anything else.

The combat being really fun would just be a massive bonus for me. I've never played Elder Scrolls or Fallout for their combat, they are able to convey their points well with serviceable combat, but the main idea was always that interaction, those lively cities, joining guilds, the function of the world and how it supports the narrative. As in, those games don't merely tell you about crime, people will pick pocket you, you can do the same to them lol The idea of what they are saying, exist as a real function to then support the narrative to make the game feel more real.

So imho, someone can tell me the combat is lessor then Fallout 3 and its still 100% a day 1.
Combat didn’t bother me at all in earlier games, but I’ve seen what looks to be much better combat and now I really look forward to that.

Btw, I keep wondering if we’ll be able to hack into big businesses and shops in the cities. Trade some company secrets. There’s so much potential here.

May base my character on Malcolm Reynolds.

Fredrik

I like both tbh.

You need to talk instead of just use a laugh emoji, impossible to know what you were referring to, I thought you didn’t agree that their games had a step-out moment.

I agree that Starfield will likely use a combination of the 2.
Maybe you’re stuck on a space station, maybe not in a prison but doing some mundane tasks - like Roger Wilco being a janitor in Space Quest! 👌
…then leaving that is the first step-out, then getting a spaceship and leaving the planet is the second step-out.
Or maybe acquiring a grav drive is the second and the first is getting a spaceship.

GymWolf

You need to talk instead of just use a laugh emoji, impossible to know what you were referring to, I thought you didn’t agree that their games had a step-out moment.

I agree that Starfield will likely use a combination of the 2.
Maybe you’re stuck on a space station, maybe not in a prison but doing some mundane tasks - like Roger Wilco being a janitor in Space Quest! 👌
…then leaving that is the first step-out, then getting a spaceship and leaving the planet is the second step-out.
Or maybe acquiring a grav drive is the second and the first is getting a spaceship.
We literally already saw the introduction in the deep dive, you work as a miner and you have a small accident, a dude and a chick ask you some questions to start the character creation.

I sincerely doubt they made that scene with voice acting and shit just for the deep dive, that's 99% the start of the game.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
We literally already saw the introduction in the deep dive, you work as a miner and you have a small accident, a dude and a chick ask you some questions to start the character creation.

I sincerely doubt they made that scene with voice acting and shit just for the deep dive, that's 99% the start of the game.

100%. You are a miner, find your first artefact, it speaks to you, you have a vision, black out. Wake up, character creation, you are given vague instructions to go to The Constellation in New Atlantis and boom you are free to explore and can ignore the main story because it's Bethesda.

GymWolf

100%. You are a miner find your first artefact, it speaks to you, you have a vision, black out. Wake up, character creation, you are given vague instructions to go to The Constellation in New Atlantis and boom you are free to explore and can ignore the main story because it's Bethesda.
So basically mass effect plot but without war and aliens.

Fredrik

100%. You are a miner, find your first artefact, it speaks to you, you have a vision, black out. Wake up, character creation, you are given vague instructions to go to The Constellation in New Atlantis and boom you are free to explore and can ignore the main story because it's Bethesda.
Missed the miner part, sounds plausible. I hope they can make that step-out moment powerful.

ByWatterson

Honestly, I'm most interested in the meta analysis: What it means for Xbox, what it does for Gamepass, and how it sets up the holiday fight against Sony.

GymWolf

Missed the miner part, sounds plausible. I hope they can make that step-out moment powerful.
There is gonna a part where a door open and you see the outer space in all of his glory with a gigantic spaceship flying close to you and a title reveal, oh hi mark my words.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
There is gonna a part where a door open and you see the outer space in all of his glory with a gigantic spaceship flying close to you and a title reveal, oh hi mark my words.

I believe that starting mining facility is on Mars. It's going to be amazing.

Fredrik

Lol okay I marked your words. I think they’ll do something better. Maybe the actual step-out will be like that but they’ll build it up with the sequence before that, it’s never a quick thing, and they’ll probably try to learn us some of the gameplay mechanics during the introduction, the second one could be about learning the space ship and grav drive and being thrown into some combat scenario.

GymWolf

Lol okay I marked your words. I think they’ll do something better. Maybe the actual step-out will be like that but they’ll build it up with the sequence before that, it’s never a quick thing, and they’ll probably try to learn us some of the gameplay mechanics during the introduction, the second one could be about learning the space ship and grav drive and being thrown into some combat scenario.
Oh sure, i just depicted the actual moment when you go outside.

Since you are working on a mine for a big company, i predict space pirates attacking the station and the protagonist trying to leave the place.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially

I just hope that tutorial is skippable. Something like 'hey, are you okay, maybe you want to go over some things?' and you can answer yes/no. Please, Bethesda.

GymWolf

I just hope that tutorial is skippable. Something like 'hey, are you okay, maybe you want to go over some things?' and you can answer yes/no. Please, Bethesda.
Why would you do that?

Especially if they put some flavour or funny stuff in the tutorial.

Fredrik

If they do it like in their past games the intro won’t be skippable. It’ll be one of the game’s only highly scripted and linear sequences, and it’ll be awesome and you’ll love it 😉👍

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Why would you do that?

Especially if they put some flavour or funny stuff in the tutorial.
If they do it like in their past games the intro won’t be skippable. It’ll be one of the game’s only highly scripted and linear sequences, and it’ll be awesome and you’ll love it 😉👍

Future playthroughs. Of course I won't skip a single frame of the game when I'm playing it for the first time.

Fredrik

Bethesda games have something magical about them, despite the glitches. Fallout 3, 4, Oblivion, Skyrim...they were all amazing.
Except for the intro in Fallout 3 I haven’t actually played a Fallout since number 2 way back on some crappy Pentium ages ago. Bought FO4 cheap just days ago so I plan to check that out eventually. Just need to stop being addicted to TOTK.

93xfan

Banned
Why aren’t t we talking about the most horrifying part of Starfield?

F1A-ijyaQAImnFG
Glad there are flame based weapons. Will be burning these things to a crisp and then some.

Then onto their nests. Then to check over my ship a few times to make sure none hid in it.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Glad there are flame based weapons. Will be burning these things to a crisp and then some.

Then onto their nests. Then to check over my ship a few times to make sure none hid in it.
Has it been said if there’s a possibility of stowaways on your ship?

Last edited:

Just to clarify - are there not multiple openings to the game? Or is it the same start with multiple backgrounds

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
No, but do you want to take that chance?
I was just curious if there was yet another thing that was in the game was all.

I wonder if you could board another’s ship, then take it over with threats, not just through killing everyone.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Just to clarify - are there not multiple openings to the game? Or is it the same start with multiple backgrounds
I’m pretty sure there is just one opening, like every other Bethesda game. You can’t count Elder Scrolls Online. That’s not made by the same team.

Last edited:

93xfan

Banned
I was just curious if there was yet another thing that was in the game was all.

I wonder if you could board another’s ship, then take it over with threats, not just through killing everyone.
Based on previous Bethesda games, you will probably be attacked right away before you can talk.

but it does seem you can be a stowaway at least

It also does seem you can try to do it with threats when you communicate with them from your own ship. But who knows

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I’m so torn on how I want to approach this game initially. The easiest way to end up leaning is Space Pirate. But will I be Firefly type of crew, or will I be just flat out give zero fucks and become the most ruthless captain in outer space?

93xfan

Banned
I’m so torn on how I want to approach this game initially. The easiest way to end up leaning is Space Pirate. But will I be Firefly type of crew, or will I be just flat out give zero fucks and become the most ruthless captain in outer space?
I feel it’s less fun to not care at all. It’s a less interesting character to identify with, imo

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I feel it’s less fun to not care at all. It’s a less interesting character to identify with, imo
I can see that. But there is something fun about being OP and doing whatever you want, and taking whatever you want. I guess that why I’ve played Oblivion, Skyrim and Fallout 3/4 so damn much.

93xfan

Banned
I can see that. But there is something fun about being OP and doing whatever you want, and taking whatever you want. I guess that why I’ve played Oblivion, Skyrim and Fallout 3/4 so damn much.
I do love sneaking into shops and stealing all the stuff I can’t afford early on in the game

Fredrik

Firefly is a great idea!
My plan for my main character is to create a Han Solo variant, not the typical hero and some scummy side jobs but still good-hearted. Maybe I can name the droid Chewie and let him wear a fur wig 😁

Top Bottom