• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield | What aspect of Starfield excites you the most?

Fredrik

Does anyone know what's going on at PC Gamer? 🤔

Anyone who has played No Man’s Sky knows that the similarities is a fair points, as already discussed some things are nearly identical both mechanically and visually. But both games are still different enough at it’s core that I assume both devs know that they’re both gaining from being mentioned, a tide lifts all boats etc, and that goes for all other space games as well.

As for the empty space talk. It won’t just be emptiness. They add hand crafted blocks procedurally when you reach the planet. Stuff will emerge as a new discovered location when you explore just like the first time you starts to wonder out in the wilderness in Skyrim or Oblivion. It’s just that you won’t know what’s out there by looking at an online map, and the next time you play things will have moved. Personally I’d say it’s brilliant from a design perspective, will make trying out new character builds more fun.

Only problem is, it’s a big game and how many hand crafted blocks have they created?
In No Man’s Sky you eventually get used to see more or less identical outposts and crashed freighters on all planets. In Returnal after restarting the loop a gazillion times you see the same rooms pop up in different places. In Elden Ring you see similar caves and bosses. Etc.
Big games will quickly become a bit samey if there isn’t enough content variety.

But you still don’t know what loot you will find and that’s why you keep exploring.
If it turns out that you find the best weapon upgrade the 10th time you’ve cleared out what looks like the same enemy camp, then it was all worth it.

Last edited:

SteadyEvo

Can I capture the magic of fallout 3??? I remember getting off work, getting food and exploring the wastes for hours. Excited to see what I’d discover next. Vaguely remember coming across cannibals. I killed them all…. only business

Sw0pDiller

Yea Skyrim was a real bad game 🤣
A broken clock is right Twice a day. Bethesda is owning a track record of releasing broken games that need a lot of time to get fixed. They have a loyal groep of followers that forgive the dev to some extend because they love the lore and story of fallout games. And now everybody is again forgetting the shitheap that was fallout76 because they need Some kind of hope and this game is the only thing xbox series had tot going for it. Sure it might end up beging awesome but i dont like to live outside of reality until i play the game myself.

MMaRsu

Banned
A broken clock is right Twice a day. Bethesda is owning a track record of releasing broken games that need a lot of time to get fixed. They have a loyal groep of followers that forgive the dev to some extend because they love the lore and story of fallout games. And now everybody is again forgetting the shitheap that was fallout76 because they need Some kind of hope and this game is the only thing xbox series had tot going for it. Sure it might end up beging awesome but i dont like to live outside of reality until i play the game myself.
Shows you are nothing but a troll bud because they didnt develop fallout 76

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

F1fQ6UMaYAQgx9M

Fredrik

You understand how studios operate right? They have different teams?

The team that created Skyrim, Oblivion, Fallout did not develop Fallout 76.

They helped in some form, but did not create it nor develop it.

Bye felicia
Exactly the kind of blind follower phil needs. Bravo good sir!
Fallout 76 was a unique situation, it started as a side project and ended as a big rushed collaboration between multiple teams, they had no multiplayer experience and acquired Battlecry to implement mp capabilities to their engine and by the end the involved teams crunched on it enough for people to leave the studio but it wasn’t enough to save the troubled launch.

I’m pretty sure they won’t repeat that scenario anytime soon.

And the game rated low on Metacritic does not exist anymore and the constellation who made FO76 has not made Starfield. That is a fact.

Going by interviews a core group at Maryland went on to work on Starfield directly after Fallout 4 in 2016, then the bulk of Maryland were on it by 2018 and for a long time other studios as well. In total the team size is said to be twice as big as the team that made FO76. While I’m sure there has been crunch this time as well they delayed it and have been playing the game for a long time now.

I still expect plenty of bugs simply because of the size of it all, plus procedural generation never work 100%. But I’m not concerned. And I’ve played No Man’s Sky, Skyrim, Cyberpunk at launch, I can take anything they throw at me and I can do it without shitting on the game or devs, as long as I’m having fun. I just hope I don’t have to deal with save corruption. That’s brutal.

Fredrik

Seems like the marketing is starting to ramp up!

3 new animated(?) videos:

Supra Et Ultra

Where hope is built

The hand that feeds

Hype is through the roof already for me but I don’t quite understand the animated angle here even though they’re well made. I want to see more of the actual game and specifically the PC version.

Fredrik

One month to go and they’re still just showing the Xbox version. What’s the deal?
AMD sucks as a PC partner. Imagine if we would’ve got something like this:

AJBungah

Neo Member
Seems like the marketing is starting to ramp up!

3 new animated(?) videos:

Supra Et Ultra

Where hope is built

The hand that feeds

Hype is through the roof already for me but I don’t quite understand the animated angle here even though they’re well made. I want to see more of the actual game and specifically the PC version.

Do we think that this maybe confirms different starting locations? Seems to imply 3 different stories and 2 of the videos even include the same ship?

Do we think that this maybe confirms different starting locations? Seems to imply 3 different stories and 2 of the videos even include the same ship?
I don't think so, it just shows what can happen on these 3 planets and the allegiances you can make within the game. At least that's what I think.

Fredrik

That would be great, a starter lifepath choice like in Cyberpunk
But I think it’ll be like this:
it just shows what can happen on these 3 planets and the allegiances you can make within the game.

Don’t know what to think about these videos. In a way they make the game seem more story focused, which is good, if these scenarios can actually happen. But I’m also thinking they can confuse new potential customers who’re coming in blind thinking it’s an anime game. Why not cut together some in-game story sequences instead like Sony did with Spidey 2?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Would be nice if they have multiple starting paths, but I don't think they have said anything like that. I'd imagine that would be one of the key bullet points of the marketing.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Yeah, I highly doubt the intro will be handled with different starter options, like in Cyberpunk. I think this is why they introduced the traits system in the deep dive. They showed us the intro to character creation, and how we can shape our past.

Sw0pDiller

Fallout 76 was a unique situation, it started as a side project and ended as a big rushed collaboration between multiple teams, they had no multiplayer experience and acquired Battlecry to implement mp capabilities to their engine and by the end the involved teams crunched on it enough for people to leave the studio but it wasn’t enough to save the troubled launch.

I’m pretty sure they won’t repeat that scenario anytime soon.

And the game rated low on Metacritic does not exist anymore and the constellation who made FO76 has not made Starfield. That is a fact.

Going by interviews a core group at Maryland went on to work on Starfield directly after Fallout 4 in 2016, then the bulk of Maryland were on it by 2018 and for a long time other studios as well. In total the team size is said to be twice as big as the team that made FO76. While I’m sure there has been crunch this time as well they delayed it and have been playing the game for a long time now.

I still expect plenty of bugs simply because of the size of it all, plus procedural generation never work 100%. But I’m not concerned. And I’ve played No Man’s Sky, Skyrim, Cyberpunk at launch, I can take anything they throw at me and I can do it without shitting on the game or devs, as long as I’m having fun. I just hope I don’t have to deal with save corruption. That’s brutal.
Bravo…

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Great video to watch while waiting for Starfield:

Jump into the zero-g rabbit hole of the proto-Starfield Bethesda Softworks were developing in the late 90s. A story of ambition, betrayal, millions of dollars and an inability to properly manage expectations. In this video, find out about The 10th Planet - Bethesda's cancelled Space-simulator / 4x Strategy / Lite-RPG hybrid.

salva

Play Anywhere status confirmed.

Nice, yeah saw that the other day. But the capabilities on the store page have been constantly changing the last few weeks... I hope it does support play anywhere so I can bounce between my PC and Xbox and continue progress. I'm holding off buying the premium to play early until it's officially confirmed.
When the hell are we going to see new footage or new details on this!? We are 4 weeks from the early release date. FOUR.

Last edited:
Top Bottom