• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

State of Decay 3 Update Provided by Spencer

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

During a recent interview, Spencer noted he's "incredibly excited about some of the advancements" that are being made with the third game in the series. Unfortunately, this is really the only juicy detail Spencer had to share. In the update, he had a whole paragraph to say about it, but most of it is just PR speak.

"This one's probably not that big of a surprise for people who have watched me play, but I was a big State of Decay 2 player... looking at State of Decay 3, I'm incredibly excited about some of the advancements they're going to make," said Spencer via Xbox Era and Pure Xbox. "They've had this pattern – they've talked about it publically from State of Decay 1 to 2 to 3 and what they want to do, and we haven't shown a lot [of State of Decay 3]... it's a game I really enjoy playing, I'm a big co-op player, I like building, I like resourcing... and I'm really excited about where that team's going."

They need to improve the graphics, animations, gameplay etc the concept is great but they've failed to deliver on the execution. It needs to be a clean release with as few bugs as possible. I don't want it to be an MMO which is what it sadly sounds like it may end up being.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I liked State of Decay 1, because the concept was really cool. Spent a couple dozen hours in it. But the game was janky AF and had very poor polish. I didn't even bother downloading SOD 2 because of all the bugs and poor reviews. I have little faith in SoD 3.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Remember, this is the same guy who had bragged about 12 TFlops a year before release, "Eats shit .. I mean monsters for breakfast" console... and had seen Halo before the embarassing showing/reveal and had claimed advantage over SONY/PS5.

Ice Cube Reaction GIF
Ron Burgundy What GIF
Come On Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

sinnergy

Remember, this is the same guy who had bragged about 12 TFlops a year before release, "Eats shit .. I mean monsters for breakfast" console... and had seen Halo before the embarassing showing/reveal and had claimed advantage over SONY/PS5.
Do you always life in the past ?

BigBooper

I love the first two games, but in 2 eventually you get to a point where your base is fully upgraded and you just fight spongier and spongier bullet sponge waves of zombies. It doesn't feel like you actually accomplish anything at that point.

I hope with the third one they do something like let you expand to multiple bases and eventually clear the map. Some more advanced base management features would be great.

LordCBH

SOD2 was pretty fun, just incredibly jank and ugly. Hopefully they can get rid of the jank and reduce the ugly but keep the fun from SOD2

nemiroff

Gold Member

Out of fucking nowhere.. I feel disdainfully sorry for you.

Edit: Anyway, I played enough of the previous game to make me really look forward to the third, I expect more of the same but with a more polished experience and a lot better production value.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT

Here we go with the instant bullshit and derail of an Xbox thread, first reply as well, how embarrassingly pathetic.

Chukhopops

SoD 2 is one of the most underrated games of last gen, it was buggy at launch but it’s excellent now. It’s also a masterclass game design in how it handles difficulty, player agency, risk versus reward, storytelling in a sandbox.

It’s fucking brilliant honestly, hopefully SoD3 will build from that and release in a polished state from scratch.

kingfey

Banned
Developers aren't even using the power of xbox consoles.
Dying light 2 straight up ignored that 60 fps for xss, and blamed the low power of the device, before doing 60 fps again.

The power is there. The developers need to utilize that power. Spencer can't force them that.

cormack12

Gold Member
Good to see this game getting so some love. Two is a solid game but does need some TLC to bring it to being a top tier IP.

Graphics: Obviously improved with the latest free patch, specifically foliage and character. Some of the world textures and assets are good but the floor and long flats need to be a bit better, and the very square/rectangle places need a bit more variety. Hopefully next gen gives a good uplift.
Co-op: definitely needs thought on how to tie in better progress, maybe shared communities? I think the tether area was increased (feels like it) which was good.
Spongey enemies: like someone said some of the enemies are ridiculous on tougher levels and they need to find a better skill/difficulty balance.
Animals: think the trailer deffo indicates we aree getting these which will be another welcome enemy type.
Bugs: was very buggy, most ironed out but still little annoyances with the cars, terrain and rocks can still be frustrating.

Robb

Gold Member
I tried getting in to State of Decay 2 but it didn’t manage to grab me. It felt like it lacked a lot of polish. Hopefully the 3rd game can fix that.

Sentenza

Sounds like more than you have done.
Conversely, for context, that's the same guy who goes around making ridiculous claims about the superiority of his PS5 and bitching about the cost of a PC, while at the same time making the dubious claim he had a RTX 3080 (which he doesn't use, somehow) and telling people "to come at him and he'll skin them".
Which goes to prove that self-delusion can carry you long distances.

kingfey

Banned
bitching about the cost of a PC, while at the same time making the dubious claim he had a RTX 3080 (which he doesn't use, somehow)
How can you complain about that, when you have rtx 3080?
That some pure level of bulshit down there by that person.

JayK47

The first game is still the better in my opinion. I played the second one and the magic was gone. It may be a more polished game with better graphics, but it just wasn't that fun and felt like a grind. I memorized every inch of the first game's map. It wasn't huge, but the right size for the story.

I am sure the 3rd game will be even "bigger and better" than the first two, completely missing the mark on what made the first game fun.

Top Bottom