• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

State of Decay 3 may be a live service title

Draugoth

Gold Member
state-of-decay-3-cover.jpg

Notice: State of Decay 2 was also a GaaS
  • Undead Labs, the studio behind State of Decay, posted a job listing for a Senior Product Owner, indicating that State of Decay 3 may adopt a live-service model.
  • The job listing specifically mentions the preferred qualification of experience with online multiplayer, game live services, and operations.
  • The job listing mentions online multiplayer, which would be a first for the series after State of Decay 2 introduced cooperative multiplayer.
Undead Labs, the studio behind the State of Decay series, recently posted a job listing for a Senior Product Owner. The developer is looking for a candidate with experience in live services suggesting that the next installment may be much different than previous titles. The preferred qualification reads, "Experience with online multiplayer, game live services and operations."

The new job listing suggests that Undead Labs is moving to the live service model where the game will be supported for years. The live service model should keep things fresh as content is continuously added, making the game bigger and much more complex after launch.

Source

Last edited:
Of course. Unfortunately there will be more live service games in the future than non-live service games.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t be surprised. Another Gamepass delivery they can pad out over time and use to fill gaps for showcases with news of improvements and updates/fixes.

“Not at launch”

kiphalfton

They have one fucking job, create an open world zombie game.

I guess the writing should have been on the wall though; if the first two weren't that good, why expect the third game to be good.

It’s not a huge seller. Honestly if they’re going to continue making the series it kind of has to go this way or it’ll remain niche.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
I didnt know SoD2 was a GaaS
Yeah no worries, in fact they did not called SoD2 a GAAS because it was before all this bullshit. But is was a GAAS.

I can’t find anything saying it was 🤨 it had DLC and multiplayer, but how was it GAAS?

or is that just saying any game that had MP & DLC is now retroactively GAAS
Exemple: Minecraft is a GAAS. It was never named like that but it is. And it would be like releasing Minecraft 2, which would obviously be a GAAS and then saying "ooooooh shit the IP is dead".

Pure nonsense. And I'm not even an expert of this game.

Edit: don't trust me, trust those who played it for years:

image.png

Last edited:
Expect this more lol, one and done single player games don't lend themselves to sub numbers. Sony will never day 1 big games for that reason alone

I wonder how many more years people will parrot this line, regardless of how many "one and done" games Microsoft puts out.

Anyway, seems like a silly article for clicks. SoD2 was a GaaS title. And it did content right.

Wouldn’t in the least bit be surprised if Gears 6 is announced as an online only GAAS title as well. All designed to keep people subbing for Gamepass.

I mean, wasn’t before they got bought by ms. They was playing for the 2nd or 3rd one to be a like a zombie mmo game or something?

Well, the studio doesn't have a good track record by itself. (to deliver a polished product). Now add the increasing toxicity against GaaS....Yep. this is game is not going to have the smoothest road toward lunch, and probably a harder time once released

Jormatar

Of course it is. It's multiplayer game published by Microsoft. It being a live service game is given nowadays.

clarky

Gold Member
Just make a good game devs, first 2 had a nice concept but they felt worse than some AA games.
First was a rough diamond.

2 was ok but janky as fuck and launched with a ton of issues, but became a really good game after a few updates.

Hopefully with 3 they learn from their mistakes. Probably not though.

Last edited:

GymWolf

First was a rough diamond.

2 was ok but janky as fuck and launched with a ton of issues, but became a really good game after a few updates.

Hopefully with 3 they learn from their mistakes. Probably not though.
Without a way bigger budget i can't see that happening and i'm not sure how much fucks M gives about state of decay brand...

GymWolf

Well they've been at it a while now, so logic dictates the buget is bigger.

I know the Zombie genre has been done to death but i have a soft spot for this franchise. Fingers crossed.
That could very be caused by development hell, they haven't showed jack shit after how many years after the reveal?

Fingers crossed indeed. (Even the toes :lollipop_grinning_sweat: )

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
The poorer Days Gone from the green side, the sad thing is that the first game is much better than the second one.
Not in its current state imo. SOD2 best the first in every way now. Although i will admit its been a while since i played the first one.

Is Days Gone similar to SOD? I thought that was more of a story driven game. Might have to give it a whirl on steam if its a survival/resource management type deal.

Last edited:

Wizz-Art

Not in its current state imo. SOD2 best the first in every way now. Although i will admit its been a while since i played the first one.

Is Days Gone similar to SOD? I thought that was more of a story driven game. Might have to give it a whirl on steam if its a survival/resource management type deal.

I'm currently playing through Days Gone but SOD II in my opinion is simply a much better game because it has base/community building and survival/ressource management and that loop is awesome. DG is a story focused game, kinda like the Heartland expansion brought to SODII with some survival elements in it but it's focus lies more on the story progression. Days gone is a nice game for what it is but when you're done with the story there isn't much of a game left, while I immersed myself completely in SODII for hundreds and hundreds of hours because the game mechanic never ends - there's always something to do and it's GaaS truly done the right way so there's something to be excited about because the devs keep updating the game/world.

Shut0wen

Tbh was the original game meant to be an MMO before it got turned into a single player game? Personally this series will benefit from it and hopegully we get the mmo we were all promised

Top Bottom