• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Blocks Ghost of Tsushima PC Sales in Countries Without PSN

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Looks like it's the same countries where the Helldivers 2 issue happened a few days ago.

edit: Japan is no longer on the list.

GNO-3fqXYAEppTS

Last edited:
Weird to have a specific SKU just for Japan. Probably goes through some other Cero style certifications or cuts there if I were t guess?
That and it's that weird thing about Japanese VA in some SIE published games being exclusive to the Japanese version... Happened with Stellar Blade where the Japanese VA is just for the Japanese version.

Last edited:
I see alot of people say these countries are irrelevant in other threads before in regards to helldivers, but there is still estonia, belarus, bosnia, serbia, monaco, lithuania, japan. especially the eastern countries are big pc gamers. just dont get why they dont give up the psn integration on this if it removes this much of the market.

Last edited:

adamsapple

There's already a thread on this topic:

That was specifically a Green Man Gaming key reselling decision on selling, this is Steam as a whole.

Aenima

That and it's that weird thing about Japanese VA in some SIE published games being exclusive to the Japanese version... Happened with Stellar Blade where the Japanese VA is just for the Japanese version.
Dont the PS5 version of GoT has japanese voices? If i remember correctly on PS4 you could choose Japanese voices, but the lip sinc was done for the english voices.

EDIT: Looking at the store i buy games that mention the audio languages, it seems the Directors Cut version of the game removed the japanese voices. So only the base PS4 version has English and Japanese voices to choose.

Last edited:
There's already a thread on this topic:

no, thats for gmg, this thread is for steam

Again, this is incredibly stupid. The Northern Marianas, Guam, Puerto Rico, the US Virgin Islands, and the Minor Outlying Islands all have PSN support, since they are US colonies they get set up under the US when you make a PSN account.

image.png

Also, Japan was removed from the restricted list.
image.png

GHG

Gold Member
Looks like green man gaming knew the information before it was updated to steam.

In which case it would be indicative of the information coming from Sony to warn them of the restrictions.

No idea what they are thinking with all this, it's bizarre.

adamsapple

Staem lol

You guys really need to take some deep breaths and then take a fucking second to look over things to make sure you didn’t spell things like a retard. It ain’t hard and it ain’t a race. It’s videogame news lol

I've already requested a fix on the typo.

Draugoth Draugoth I sympathize with you a little bit more now.

Last edited:
Dont the PS5 version of GoT has japanese voices? If i remember correctly on PS4 you could choose Japanese voices, but the lip sinc was done for the english voices.

EDIT: Looking at the store i buy games that mention the audio languages, it seems the Directors Cut version of the game removed the japanese voices. So only the base PS4 version has English and Japanese voices to choose.
Yeah, it's just with certain SIE games I think. In the case of HD2 and Stellar Blade it's due to how SIE did the contracts with the VA talent agency handling the Japanese voice overs for these games. It's pretty annoying tbh since other Japanese publishers don't have this issue with their releases.

adamsapple

First Helldivers now this, what are they even doing

They* are getting ahead of the problem before the game comes out and people find out they can't play it in 170+ countries even though it's available to purchase.

* Steam.

It seems that Valve is abusing its functional monopoly again, because I doubt Sony would remove the game for sale in countries/regions that do have PSN like US territories and the Philippines.

Honestly for all of the virtue signaling over the Helldivers 2 stuff, because a subset of PC players are too stupidly proud to make a PSN account, they ended up screwing over people in these countries. Yes, Sony should be working to expand official PSN access, but for decades there has been a wink and nudge system where people in these grey markets could get consoles, make accounts (usually US based), and get digital cards to buy games and no one got banned over it. The temper tantrum over Helldivers 2 put a spotlight on it and forced legal hands.

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Who says this is sonys doing. There is no reason for sony to block the whole game.

In a roundabout way this is Sony’s doing even if Valve is the one pulling the trigger on it. Making people sign up for PSN for the multiplayer (that nobody cares about btw) is putting Valve in a weird spot.

They should’ve just made it optional like it is for single player if you want trophies or w/e and maybe gave people an incentive to sign up like an exclusive skin or something.

Sony cited PC ports as a way to grow in places where people don’t play on consoles and then pull this dumb shit for muh MAU’s. Monkeys paw is twitching somewhere.

Im really concerned that ISIS members across Afghanistan, Iraq, and Iran won’t be able to play GoT. Hopefully they don’t take it too personal and retaliate.

reinking

Gold Member
Anyone have a countdown to Sony opening their PC storefront? I am going to guess this kind of stuff is going to expedite that. Which sucks for consumers. Maybe they will still offer PC games on Steam in most countries and only restrict certain markets to PS storefront only.

I also find it very weird that they've added the Baltic states to the list of restricted countries since they're part of the EU Digital Single Market so in theory Valve and Sony are in breach of this EU wide consumer law.

The digital single market strategy aims to ensure that Europe's economy, industry and society take full advantage of the new digital era. Alongside e-solutions and data, and cross-border digital services, it is an integral part of EU's project for a digital Europe.

The EU has already started creating a free and secure digital single market in which people can shop online across borders and businesses can sell online across the EU.

Proposed by the European Commission in 2015, the digital single market strategy laid the foundations of a united and sustainable European digital society. A number of landmark achievements followed in 2016 and 2017:
  • the end of roaming charges
  • the modernisation of data protection
  • the cross-border portability of online content
  • the agreement to unlock e-commerce by stopping unjustified geo-blocking
Going forward, this strategy seeks to further expand the EU's digital economy and tear down regulatory walls between the EU member states.

Last edited:
Why with the retarded restrictions? Why we need PSN account... they ain't really gonna be enticing us with their dog shit streaming service.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Anyone have a countdown to Sony opening their PC storefront? I am going to guess this kind of stuff is going to expedite that. Which sucks for consumers. Maybe they will still offer PC games on Steam in most countries and only restrict certain markets to PS storefront only.

It would flop. EGS has been giving away legitimately free games for years and still can’t get market share. Sony also doesn’t have a Fortnite to make tons of people open your store front everyday.

rofif

Banned
That's probably a targeted 'fuck you' from Gaben.
why does everyone keep thinking it's steam decision.
Both last time and this time, it's sony removing game from sale in non psn countries.

Steam couldn't give a rats ass about this and they would have no idea which countries have psn

Fabieter

why does everyone keep thinking it's steam decision.
Both last time and this time, it's sony removing game from sale in non psn countries.

Steam couldn't give a rats ass about this and they would have no idea which countries have psn

Which indicates its not sonys doing since there are countries with psn support listed.

reinking

Gold Member
It would flop. EGS has been giving away legitimately free games for years and still can’t get market share. Sony also doesn’t have a Fortnite to make tons of people open your store front everyday.
I am sure it will flop just as I am sure the MS app store will. Most consumers are not looking for more storefronts. The issue is it looks like Sony cannot sell PC games in some territories through Steam at this point. I don't think they will have a choice if they really are looking to expand on PC. Like I said though, I hope they keep their games on Steam for current supported countries if/when they do launch one.

Top Bottom