• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam gets Flick Stick Support in new Beta

Found this video to explain it quickly.

Has anyone ever used this? I saw people here commenting on how gyros are a great way to aim in FPS games and this seems like the natural evolution?

Flick stick is a relatively new way of using controllers that utilises both the right analogue stick, as well as gyroscope to offer finer camera control. It works best with controllers that have built-in gyro, such as the DualShock 4 and Switch Pro Controller, but any controller can technically use flick stick.

Having native support for flick stick on Steam removes the need for other third-party tools that map mouse movement into the gyroscope, much in the same way Steam’s extensive controller support makes it possible to play most games with unsupported controllers. Hit up Steam community for the full set of patch notes.

Source: https://www.vg247.com/2020/07/17/steam-beta-flick-stick/

CuNi

Sceptical about how well this will work. This kinda forces you to not move your posture around while gaming as, at least that's how it sounds to me, tilting the controller will change where you aim at.
I'm also slowly getting tired of the "XYZ with a now even more natural feel and usage than your traditional mouse!" BS.

But I applaud developers for trying to make games more appealing and nice to control constantly and not just settling for the status quo.

iconmaster

Banned
Here’s how it works: pushing the stick into any direction immediately snaps the camera to that direction, rather than continue rotating. Tilting upwards looks to the front, downwards the back etc. For fine control on your aim, you rotate the stick along its circular rim, instead of moving it side to side.

Very different.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Shooters suck with controllers. I play them that way and bitch about it while playing them. I'd be up for trying this because gyro just feels odd for full aiming, but kinda works.

More options is always good for consumers. Whilst this would certainly take some re-training of my brain, I could certainly see myself using it. Gyro has been used to great effect in some games.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
opoEGbF.jpg

Seems complicated. Many inputs to remember while playing a hectic shooter. Why not just use a mouse?

Grinchy

Banned
It sounds interesting from a theoretical perspective. I'd have to actually try it first, but on paper I can understand why this could be an improvement.

I have really grown to hate playing FPS games on a controller, but I loved Doom 2016 on PS4 anyway. I just wonder if this would be any good for a game like Warzone or Blackout. With how much aim assist they put on the controllers to make sure little Jimmy can get kills while drinking from his juice box, I almost feel like this would just be a massive disadvantage.

Top Bottom