• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Grand Prix Summer Sale Starts June 25th

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I look forward to seeing the steam prices and then going on GMG or Cdkeys and buying cheaper games
SWtui3c.gif

Pejo

Gold Member
Is this the thread or is someone making an official Sale thread? I'm depending on GAF for those lesser known titles with big discounts.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
That explains why the site isn't working. Not much I really want. Just gonna take a look at the shmups and retro compilations I think.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Sees sale page, clustered with a clusterfuck of games on sale, no order in it at all.
Closes sale page.

Drake

Had it working for a minute. All the Final fantasy's are on sale. All of Resident Evil's are on sale. That's all I was able to check until it went down again.

Helios

For those that want to know more about the event here's the copy-paste in case their servers burn again.
JOIN THE STEAM GRAND PRIX
Welcome to the summer event you've been training for, the 2019 Steam Grand Prix! Team up with friends to complete quests, earn personal rewards, and race to the finish each day of the Summer Sale.

Be sure to update your Wishlist before you put the pedal to the metal, as the very best drivers will be awarded their Most Wished For games throughout the event.

Buckle up, spring pup — Summer is officially here.

Increase your Boost Meter's capacity
Boost Meter capacity enables you to earn points in the races. All players will begin with a Boost Meter capacity of at least 100 points, and for each day that you participate, you'll also upgrade your Boost Meter capacity by 100 points. Additionally, for every you spend on Steam, you will upgrade the capacity of your Boost Meter by 0 points.

Earn points & Nitro when you complete Quests
Once you’ve fueled your Boost Meter, you’re ready to drive by completing Grand Prix Quests in your Steam games. Each point you earn will advance your team in the race when you Boost. Go the distance! The more points you earn, the more Nitro you build up toward your next boost.

Boost your team in each day's race to the finish
Upon Boosting, the Nitro you’ve gained will help increase your team’s speed in the race. Coordinate timed boosts with your teammates and together you’ll increase your Team Boost level. 100 active Nitro will result in a 0.1x Boost to your team’s speed.

Earn & coordinate team attacks
Basic attacks are dropped upon Boosting, with a 1-in-4 chance of receiving one (per full Boost). Coordinate timed Attacks with other drivers and together you’ll decrease your target’s Team Boost level. 100 stolen Nitro will result in a 0.1x decrease to a team’s speed.

Claim personal rewards at the Pit Stop
You'll earn Grand Prix tokens for the points you contribute to your team. Redeem your tokens for chat emoticons, profile backgrounds, and more in the Grand Prix Pit Stop.
Win team rewards when you place in each race
Each day throughout the Grand Prix, random members of the top first, second and third place teams will receive the top item from their Steam Wishlist. Random members of the overall Grand Prix winning teams will be awarded up to three of the top items from their Steam Wishlist.

See the full Steam Grand Prix 2019 Rules here.
RULES OF THE ROAD

How do I increase my Boost Meter's capacity?
All players start off with at least 100 Boost Meter capacity each day. You can fill your Boost Meter with points by completing quests and achievements during the Grand Prix. For every you spend on Steam, you will increase the capacity of your Boost Meter by 0 points. You can boost your team up to 1,000 points at a time. Any additional capacity you’ve earned by purchasing games or in-game items on Steam will be carried over to your next Boost Meter.

For each day that you participate, you'll increase your Boost Meter's capacity by 100.

Note that you will need to play games to earn points and fill up your Boost Meter.

Why did I start with more than 100 as my Boost Meter capacity?
The size of your Boost Meter is determined by Steam purchases you’ve made on your account prior to and during the Steam Grand Prix Summer Sale. We’ve also converted unspent 2019 Lunar New Year tokens into Boost Meter capacity.

How do I fill up my Boost Meter with points?
You can fill up your Boost Meter by completing quests in participating games and by earning Steam Achievements. Your point total cannot exceed your Boost Meter's capacity.

What is the Grand Prix Pit Stop?
The Pit Stop is a limited-time event coinciding with the Steam Grand Prix Summer Sale. Tokens can be exchanged for personal rewards anytime until July 9, 2019 @ 10:00:00 am PDT.

How does my team win?
At 10 am PDT every day, the team with the most distance points wins the race for that day. First place will earn three Grand Prix points, second place will earn two Grand Prix points, and third place will earn one Grand Prix point. At the end of the Steam Grand Prix event on July 7, 2019 @ 10 am PDT, the team with the most Grand Prix points will be declared the overall winner.

What do I get when my team places in a race?
Drivers from the top three finishers on a given day will be selected at random to receive an item from their Steam Wishlist. The higher the team's placement, the more drivers that will receive free games!

At the end of the entire Grand Prix, drivers from the top three overall teams will be selected at random to receive up to three games from their Steam Wishlist as well.

See the full Steam Grand Prix 2019 Rules here.

I don't have enough time to play my games just so I can redeem tokens at the Pit Stop. What can I do?
At the end of the Grand Prix on July 7, 2019 @ 10 am PDT, the Pit Stop will be open to everyone and you'll be able to spend any leftover tokens you've earned through your purchases on Steam, without having to participate in the actual Grand Prix.

Can limited accounts participate in the Grand Prix?
Yes. However, to protect the event against bots, limited accounts' boosts will not contribute to their team's speed. Limited accounts can still redeem their tokens at the Pit Stop though.

What is the Grand Prix Pit Stop?

The Pit Stop is a limited-time event coinciding with the Steam Summer Sale. Grand Prix tokens can be redeemed anytime until 9 July, 2019 @ 8:00:00 pm EEST.

Are the rewards from the Pit Stop tradeable?
No. All redeemable rewards on this page are locked to your account and cannot be traded or sold on the Steam Marketplace.

How can I get more tokens?
You can earn tokens by completing Quests in the Grand Prix Summer Sale event. Purchase games during the Summer Sale to upgrade the capacity of your Boost Meter in the Grand Prix. Recent purchases made using your account will also upgrade your capacity. Complete Quests to fill your Boost Meter with points and Nitro, then Boost your team to earn tokens. You'll receive 121 capacity per 1€ you spend. Note that any additional discounts applied in-cart will impact the capacity you are awarded.

Wait, I have to pay to play?
No. The capacity of your Boost Meter will increase by 100 each day you participate in the Grand Prix.

Can I save my tokens for the next event?
We haven't designed the next event yet, so we can't make any promises! However, you won't be able to redeem these tokens for Grand Prix rewards after 9 July, 2019 @ 8:00:00 pm EEST.

I bought something on Steam and then redeemed my tokens at the Pit Stop. Why did those items disappear from my Steam inventory?
If you requested and were granted a refund for a Steam purchase, then any tokens you earned from that purchase that you redeemed at the Pit Stop will be deducted from your account. If that results in your token balance becoming negative, then the most recent items (or games with the shopping cart discount) you've redeemed tokens for will be removed from your account.

Helios

I don't know about this one, chief.
njzQ0uD.png

How much do I have to pay to get all those points?

Last edited:

Pejo

Gold Member
So somebody sell me on the Danganronpa games. what kind of games are they? I see they're 8 bucks a piece for 1 and 2.

Also, is Dragon Quest: Heroes 1 worth getting in tandem with DQ:H2, or should I just get the sequel and skip the first. I find most musou game sequels are additive and make the original redundant.

Overall, i'm pretty happy with the sale at a first glance. Lots of items on my wishlist are ~$10.00. Friday is payday so for now I'm just doing research.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
The Steam storefront is a nightmare these days. Any notable sales?
SteamDB's tools is usually pretty handy

You can sort by dollar amount, discount, etc. If you sign in you can filter out stuff you already own too.

The_Mike

You can sort by dollar amount, discount, etc. If you sign in you can filter out stuff you already own too.

What a time to be alive when you have to use a third party site instead of steam

Angry_Ostrich

Neo Member

I always find gg.deals very useful during Steam sales.

You can instantly see which games are historically cheapest. There are even more filters & sorting options than on Steamdb.

jshackles

What a time to be alive when you have to use a third party site instead of steam
It's been the case for a number of years now, sadly. I feel like I did the best I could with what I had to work with and even then it was... less than ideal.

By the way, everyone be sure to have Augmented Steam installed if you want access to in-store pricing history, wishlist price history, coupon notifications, more search filtering options, and all that.

Like all sales in the past years = Crap. Other sites have lower prices without sales.
Yep. I long for the days of the sales which would result in me adding 20 games to my collection that I know I'll never play. Hang on a minute...

Nah, joking aside, I actually do.

Last edited:

Helios

Am I the only brainlet here that doesn't understand how the event works?
Is there any point to doing quests if I already used my boost?

I'm sure I'll pick up some titles. I always do. I never have any problems dipping my toes into the deep end of Steam. I love checking out things that are more experimental or lesser known, and I always find something to take a chance on. (Well, to stick in the backlog anyway, lol.)

Domisto

Am I the only brainlet here that doesn't understand how the event works?
Is there any point to doing quests if I already used my boost?
I saw a lot of words. I understood all of them, but not the meaning in that particular order. I think they want me to buy more stuff.

Drake

Bought Fences for 5 bucks. Holy fucking shit, my dekstop has never been this clean, especially when you roll up the Fences. Definitley worth the 5 bucks for me.

The_Mike

Bought Fences for 5 bucks. Holy fucking shit, my dekstop has never been this clean, especially when you roll up the Fences. Definitley worth the 5 bucks for me.

But doesn't the software need to run through steam? So you need to open steam before fences run etc?

Drake

But doesn't the software need to run through steam? So you need to open steam before fences run etc?

You only need Steam for the initial install, after that it runs completely independent of Steam. They answer that in the FAQ. 3rd question.

The_Mike

You only need Steam for the initial install, after that it runs completely independent of Steam. They answer that in the FAQ. 3rd question.

Is that like that for all software? Funny that software and games run differently

jshackles

Is that like that for all software? Funny that software and games run differently
Any game or software on Steam can be set up this way, it's just that most publishers want their .exe files secured with CEG (Custom Executable Generation) so that Steam works as DRM (Digital Rights Management).

It's entirely possible to publish a game on Steam that is 100% DRM free and doesn't require Steam at all. It's just pretty uncommon.

Kadayi

Banned
Anyway bought a few things so far. Lego DC Super Villains as I'm on a bit of a lego burn atm

Cultist Simulator because H Heliocentric has convinced me that it's worth a pop

And Serpent of the Staglands, which despite looking like hot garbage is supposed to be quite a good RPG according to some friends

I dare say I'll debase myself with further purchases tomorrow.

jshackles

The activity for this sale looks obnoxious. And the deals are shit!

At least I think I saw Vesperia at 50% off.
Meanwhile no sales at all on Dragon Quest XI, Octopath Traveler, Final Fantasy XIV, Nier Automata or Final Fantasy XV: Episode Ardyn. Square Enix is the worst.

Lots of other notable titles that skipped the sale completely. Beat Saber, Rimworld, Mordhau, Blade and Sorcery, Factorio, and even older games like Civilization 5 and GTA4.

Top Bottom