• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014 – 25TH THREAD EDITION (2008-2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nabs

If people ever got games going and needed extras, I own it. You just have to give me a heads up, like anything else. Including any fighters you may be playing *cough*skullgirls*cough*AE/Ultra*cough*...

I'll send you an invite next time I have a friendly AE lobby going, and hopefully we can have another Skullgirls lobby soon.

I know I'm slacking off a bit but the Astebreed OT is still being worked on :p

Here's a test version of a banner:

cVv1OJS.png

And I already work on the character panels too :)

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Flashback. It's a piece of shit though.

It isn't a platformer either. The closest I could think of is Swapper, and that's more of a puzzle game. Then I looked in the tags and it just doesn't seem to exist. Either that or I don't understand how to search steam tags. This is a possibility.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
It isn't a platformer either. The closest I could think of is Swapper, and that's more of a puzzle game. Then I looked in the tags and it just doesn't seem to exist. Either that or I don't understand how to search steam tags. This is a possibility.

Proof the people tagging games are a failure.

Indignate

Sorry, I didn't see your post, didn't mean to impose.

Don't worry about it. Go ahead and jump in with them.

we usually play in the morning too if you wanna play then :) no need for vouching. its all fun and game!

No, you don't understand. I need Frosty to give me recognition. I feel like he's been avoiding me ever since I came over here like an older brother would do to his younger brother in high school.

I don't have a dad complex, I swear.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I know I'm slacking off a bit but the Astebreed OT is still being worked on :p

Here's a test version of a banner:

cVv1OJS.png

And I already work on the character panels too :)

Can you make the corners round? I think that would fit well and if you are using photoshop should be quick to make.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Putting the finishing touches on Enhanced Steam 6.4 for Firefox. Hopefully I'll have it published tomorrow.

Strangely enough, it will only work with Firefox 17 through 27, or 30+. (Won't work in FF28 or FF29, due to a bug that exists in those versions).

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up, in case you haven't already updated to Firefox 30, you should do so now.

EDIT: also I'll have a bug-fix version for Chrome also probably released tomorrow.

The Banner Saga
Spoiler Free Ending Impressions from the Bunny Avatar You Love

the-banner-saga-walkthrough.jpg

So tonight I finished a normal difficulty playthrough of The Banner Saga, and since I've seen very little said about this game recently, I thought I'd give some thoughts I had about the game. I probably won't get super detailed about all aspects, but hopefully this gives you an idea of how the game works generally.

tips-medium-8010-1389885949.jpg

Battle Basics
The Banner Saga is a strategy RPG that reminded me of a Final Fantasy Tactics with less customization and less focus on leveling. Battles are pretty simple. Each character and enemy has armor (blue stat) and strength (red stat also your HP). The more armor you have, the less damage you take to your strength. So if you want to do more damage to an enemy's health, you can have a character choose to attack their armor instead so that they can take more damage in another turn. Another factor of strength is not only as your health, but the less strength you have the less damage you deal.

One mix up to the normal strategy formula I noticed was that each side automatically alternates turns. Basically, you will get a turn, and the enemy will get a turn and this continues until one side has one character remaining (then it becomes Free for All basically). You select the order of your characters before the battle, and from there it cycles the same way unless a character gets knocked out. However, even if a side loses a character the turns still alternate. This changes the strategy a bit. If you decide to take out all of the enemy's weaker units quickly, you are allowing the enemy's stronger units more frequent turns to take down your own forces. So you have to balance if killing an enemy is the best option at that time. It might be better to wound an enemy to 1 strength so they can do minimal damage than to take him out and let the guy with 14 strength get extra turns.

Another stat in the game is Willpower. This fuels your character's special moves like MP would in many other RPG games, but it also allows your character other benefits as well. One added bonus is additional movement spaces. You can spend willpower to move further in a single turn if you need that extra spot to make the perfect shot. You can also spend willpower to strengthen an attack against armor or strength. So instead of doing 5 damage you can bump it to 6 or 7 or even 8 if you put your skill points correctly.

511272887.jpg

Story Presentation
So how about between the battles? How is that? For starters, I found the art style to be amazing, but don't expect any fancy cutscenes. There is very minimal voice acting and the story is told in, what my wife said, almost like an animated storybook. Basically, you will see the characters and they may blink, shift their eyes, their hair also might blow in the wind, but other than that there is very little animation in the story scenes. This also means you do have to read along with the story. Personally, none of the above bothered me, but I feel it is worth pointing out in case someone might have issue with it.

Many of the story sequences have dialogue choices to either inquire about certain things or move the story along with your decisions. Be careful though, some of the choices you make can have consequences that might not happen immediately.

783634902961883056.jpg

Other less important story events might happen on the road, but again your choices can alter your journey in many ways. Helping villagers you meet might lead to battles. Trusting strangers can lead to supplies being stolen. Several of these events will occur during your travels, but it is up to you to decide how to react and lead your caravan. After all, some of those following you aren't soldiers, but women and children as well. And they are all looking to you for guidance and protection.

Overall Impression
I enjoyed The Banner Saga a lot. I found the story to be interesting, especially with the decisions you make along the way and the many characters you meet in your travels. There were also some surprises along the way.

The battles were challenging to me, even on the normal difficulty setting. There were a few fights that frustrated me because they felt unfair, but once I figured out the differences between this game and other strategy RPGs I felt I started to become much better at it. I definitely recommend it to people who enjoy strategy RPGs, but for newcomers I would probably bump the difficulty down, at least at first. You can adjust it anytime in the game without it changing the story.

Thank you taking the time to read this post! If you have questions about The Banner Saga, don't hesitate to message me on Steam or PM and I'll help you the best I can. Thanks again for reading!

Can you make the corners round? I think that would fit well and if you are using photoshop should be quick to make.

Oh that's a interesting idea, I didn't think of trying that :eek: Will do it and post the result tomorrow :)
Thanks for the feedback!

Though I'm already almost asleep for today so good night SteamGAF!

Mono

So, I emailed the M&M's contest support about a code that didn't work about a week ago, and I was really surprised to actually find a response today! They send me a new one. :O

Beelzebubs

Hmm figured I'd craft some badges whilst I put some money in steam wallet. Think I may have to pick up Portal 2 and 100% Orange Juice now.

90% off Portal 2
66% off 100% Orange Juice
50% off Nihilumbra
33% off Blade Symphony

84e84d941106052979e667baf2bba0b0.jpg

Toshin

Hmm figured I'd craft some badges whilst I put some money in steam wallet. Think I may have to pick up Portal 2 and 100% Orange Juice now.

90% off Portal 2
66% off 100% Orange Juice
50% off Nihilumbra
33% off Blade Symphony

84e84d941106052979e667baf2bba0b0.jpg

sn't blade symphony 1.50 right now via bundle? :)

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Today I got a message back from Steam involving my account being locked out of any new purchases. Basic "we are looking into it, things you can do to help, etc etc", but then at the end they offer me a link to visit while I'm waiting for my issues to resolve.

Sometimes they make it hard to like the company.

There isn't a single game classified as a sci-fi platformer on steam according to the tags. How is that possible?

I'm not one to be that detailed in tags (I really just go for straight gameplay genre), but I can recommend several that fit for games where the main focus is the platforming. If several people, which is what it takes to get those tags to start coming through, want to start tagging like they were GG's in Tokyo-to, perhaps these would help.
Constant C
Mechanic Escape
Pid
Tales From Space: Mutant Blobs Attack
Volt
VVVVVV
Cloudbuilt

Not to mention all the Sonic the Hedgehog games.

For those that make the argument to include puzzle platformers there are titles such as Gateways and Portal titles.

I'll wait for Q*Bert CE DX+.

I rather have a Space Invaders Extreme route myself.

No wait, Space Invaders Get Even route, where the game play is switched around. Play as those things that chase Q*Bert. Yes, that would be something.

Mono

The Banner Saga
Spoiler Free Ending Impressions from the Bunny Avatar You Love

Thanks so much for this!

Everything you've said about the game makes me almost afriad to play it, because it sounds too good to be true to me, lol. Everything aspect of everything I love, wrapped up into one game. I really need to jump on this next time it goes on sale.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I'm not one to be that detailed in tags (I really just go for straight gameplay genre), but I can recommend several that fit for games where the main focus is the platforming. If several people, which is what it takes to get those tags to start coming through, want to start tagging like they were GG's in Tokyo-to, perhaps these would help.
Constant C
Mechanic Escape
Pid
Tales From Space: Mutant Blobs Attack
Volt
VVVVVV
Cloudbuilt

Not to mention all the Sonic the Hedgehog games.

Hadn't heard of about half of those, and bought Cloudbuilt but was thinking more 2D plattformers. Thanks for the suggestions, some of those look like they might be worth a look.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
awesome! think i might have to finally go ahead and preorder it. they should be paying you for this advertising :p

It would help considering I haven't been working since March. LOL

Atlus has been poor in terms of giving promo to the game.

Mono

Guise of the Wolf is on sale on Steam, and I love me some werewolf games. Should I trust the Steam reviews bashing the hell out of it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom