• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014 – 25TH THREAD EDITION (2008-2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
If we go to community will we get Mandrake For Those of You Just Joining posts?

I don't think anyone could summarize these threads and remain sane

There were some bundle sales.

Some folks posted some impressions on some games they were playing.

Alpaca avatars were briefly popular.

Some crazed dentist drilled a hole straight through SalsaShark's face.

Something's not right. Why is your username Mono (monkey in Spanish) but your avatar is a cat? Which animal are you? Show yourself!

QEUGaQ6.jpg
When a monkey loves a cat very very much...

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak

Dont forget the gifting drama and that game Nito was raving about.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Wow, that's more complicated than I thought. Ah, it also opens the folder when going Screenshots > Show on Disk . Haha, new to screenshooting, noob mistake.
Images are jpg but I have save uncompressed copy setting ticked. Weird.

Uncompressed copies are all stored in a user-nominated folder.

thanks for The Swapper impressions... the dev actually emailed me through Desura to ask how I was enjoying it... my response: backlog. ;)

but i might have to give it a go now..

Do it. Swapper was one of my favorite games last year. It is short too so you can finish it quickly without clogging your backlog.

Seen it'd be reading all the hole phobia posts again that would make me lose my sanity

wilflare

I just prefer the way it is now, honestly. It's only been a week since the sale ended and a lot of the post sale activity has died down already. There really hasn't been a whole lot of news to talk about other than the new Indiegala bundle, and most people have been able to find out about it already.

I feel like people would be more hesitant to post in a community thread than one in the normal gaming section. This is probably what most people feel like when they wander into the community sections:

JvFeNFc.gif

people need to use the Subscriptions tab more... that way it doesn't matter whether it's OT, Community or whatever

Turfster

I'm sorry, but I've been watching that Seahorse Roman gif JaseC posted for the last...
what year is this?

(Also, seriously, context?)

JaseC

people need to use the Subscriptions tab more... that way it doesn't matter whether it's OT, Community or whatever

I'm only subscribed to one thread. I probably don't need to mention which. ;) But the Steam thread is the only thread I post in on a regular basis and so all I do after an absence is just search for my name to see if anything I've posted elsewhere has triggered a discussion.

Volimar

I don't want this thread to go to community. The pics that make you laugh thread went to community, and I keep forgetting it's there.

Well I just came back from playing only an hour of Mirror's Edge and I gotta say its pretty... cool! Pretty fast paced and I like how the cut scenes are. One thing I still don't get is how to pull off rolls after doing a jump. Sometimes I got it but most of the times I failed at it. Anyone mind telling me how exactly I'm supposed to do it(playing with a controller btw)

I was glad Blade Symphony was in the IG. Had it on my wishlist, but was never sure if I wanna buy it, because I am cautious with MP-only games.

Often their community dies out within weeks or even days...

Compare this thread, which is constantly updated with news, impressions, deals and the 50 "Am I the only one who likes <console>" or "I'm going to buy an Xbox today" or "Who bought a Wii U last week" garbage threads started every day...

Would be a shame for it to move.

Checking tf2outposts is depressing. Games are so cheap in Russia! Arghh... 1-2keys for Valiant Hearths? Seriously? Ugh

Won't be long until publishers are wise to what's happening. When Russia is the #2 territory on sales charts, and they see what's happening with the resellers, the only option will be to raise Russian prices to those in the rest of the world. Really stinks for the Russians who just want to buy and play games, but the profiteering going on with the Russian key resellers won't last forever.

Checking tf2outposts is depressing. Games are so cheap in Russia! Arghh... 1-2keys for Valiant Hearths? Seriously? Ugh

I don't understand where you guys see this. I go to that site and all i see is TF2 items being traded for other TF2 items. Where are you seeing these games being traded for keys?

EDIT: nvm i finally found it.

JaseC

Valiant Hearts is a bit of a poor example as for about two hours it was mistakenly priced at 6.99 Russiabucks rather than 699.

Vlad

Awesome impressions... Definitely adding this to my to-play
eventually
list.

thanks for The Swapper impressions... the dev actually emailed me through Desura to ask how I was enjoying it... my response: backlog. ;)

but i might have to give it a go now..

And just because I figured I should actually show what the game looks like, here's some random screens from the first 10 minutes of the game.

1024x575.resizedimage

1024x575.resizedimage

saunderez

I don't understand where you guys see this. I go to that site and all i see is TF2 items being traded for other TF2 items. Where are you seeing these games being traded for keys?
Change the Team Fortress 2 drop down to Steam Inventory. Type in the name of a game and press enter. Click on the game you want to add it to the search grid and click search. Browse through offers. I was confused as all fuck when I first tried using the site too.

Megasoum

Banned

If you search in the "Steam Inventory" category you can find games that are traded for tf2 keys. You can get good deals but more and more companies start region locking games which means that the great deals are exclusive to Russians.

Valiant Hearts is a bit of a poor example as for about two hours it was mistakenly priced at 6.99 Russiabucks rather than 699.

Fair enough but the region locking is still bugging me.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Tried family sharing with a fellow Gaffer today. It's the real deal.

A few things of note for those weary or unfamiliar. Bare with me as I want to be precise in what I say.

Initially you give your login details to the recipient or trade as we did today. You log in to the account and based on 2 step verification and all that jazz eventually you get in. What you want to do is initiate a download (something small so it's done quick) so you're ready for the next step. At this point you can log off and the owner of the account can log in. Once your DL is done and ready to play you hit play and it will say that the owner needs to authorize access to the account. On the owners side you check your email and hit a link and from then, nearly instant, all the games that you don't have but the sharer has go in their own neat section so they are separate from yours. So you have your games and then if it was JaseC (for example) sharing then you will see a category with all the games available for him to share with you.

It's really that simple but one more thing for the host (the sharer) to do. Go into family settings and make sure you check the recipients name so they are authorized by you to use your games.

It's not a super long process other than just the host giving the recipient the login and PW which you can change back as the intrusion/trust doesn't need to be an always shared PW/account. Once you verify your account on their PC by giving them the steam code you get when an unauthorized PC tries to login, then you're good to go. When you as the host log back in it will tell you that the user with his IP from X country tried to use you account. This is where you basically say "it was me" instead of the other option.

Once you hit play and the host authorized you to play it's basically all good.

A few rules and test we did. You can play each others games at the same time and you don't need to be logged into each others account. So if I want to play a game I don't have like Euro Truck Sim 2 and he wants to play Batman Arkham Origins from my account we can both do so and it will just play as if it was on our accounts respectively.

As I said, the main intrusion is giving your login to the recipient which you can change back anyways. And a nice feature also is the 5 minute timer which basically allows the recipient 5 minutes to save once I make an attempt to game. A good way for the host to handle this is to check and see if the person you're sharing with is playing a game of yours and ask if he could finish up. But the 5 minute timer is a nice courtesy thing instead of immediately booting you from the shared game.

You can use all yours and the hosts games on in home streaming as well so your library can grow exponentially for many benefits such as JaseC's giveaway which would further enhance where you can play even more games.

You cannot both be playing a game from the 1 account so as long as you share and both play 1 game form each others library then there is no red flags and things go very smooth.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask as we tested some things and went through some trial and error things but all in all, it's pretty damn great.

Fox318

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Fox318, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Antichamber -- MB-466D1AA8AC012ACA - Taken by adriano999

Hugstable

Banned
Tried family sharing with a fellow Gaffer today. It's the real deal.

A few things of note for those weary or unfamiliar. Bare with me as I want to be precise in what I say.

Initially you give your login details to the recipient or trade as we did today. You log in to the account and based on 2 step verification and all that jazz eventually you get in. What you want to do is initiate a download (something small so it's done quick) so you're ready for the next step. At this point you can log off and the owner of the account can log in. Once your DL is done and ready to play you hit play and it will say that the owner needs to authorize access to the account. On the owners side you check your email and hit a link and from then, nearly instant, all the games that you don't have but the sharer has go in their own neat section so they are separate from yours. So you have your games and then if it was JaseC (for example) sharing then you will see a category with all the games available for him to share with you.

It's really that simple but one more thing for the host (the sharer) to do. Go into family settings and make sure you check the recipients name so they are authorized by you to use your games.

It's not a super long process other than just the host giving the recipient the login and PW which you can change back as the intrusion/trust doesn't need to be an always shared PW/account. Once you verify your account on their PC by giving them the steam code you get when an unauthorized PC tries to login, then you're good to go. When you as the host log back in it will tell you that the user with his IP from X country tried to use you account. This is where you basically say "it was me" instead of the other option.

Once you hit play and the host authorized you to play it's basically all good.

A few rules and test we did. You can play each others games at the same time and you don't need to be logged into each others account. So if I want to play a game I don't have like Euro Truck Sim 2 and he wants to play Batman Arkham Origins from my account we can both do so and it will just play as if it was on our accounts respectively.

As I said, the main intrusion is giving your login to the recipient which you can change back anyways. And a nice feature also is the 5 minute timer which basically allows the recipient 5 minutes to save once I make an attempt to game. A good way for the host to handle this is to check and see if the person you're sharing with is playing a game of yours and ask if he could finish up. But the 5 minute timer is a nice courtesy thing instead of immediately booting you from the shared game.

You can use all yours and the hosts games on in home streaming as well so your library can grow exponentially for many benefits such as JaseC's giveaway which would further enhance where you can play even more games.

You cannot both be playing a game from the 1 account so as long as you share and both play 1 game form each others library then there is no red flags and things go very smooth.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask as we tested some things and went through some trial and error things but all in all, it's pretty damn great.

Sweet! Thanks for all the info and the write up!

Lain

I just started the The Lego Movie Videogame and I'm greeted with jaggies, screen-tearing and ... no options to set video stuff up? Do I have to go through external programs to fix things?

JaseC

Peeps are literally the worst thing in the world. Worse than candy corn.

After all this time I'm not even sure what candy corn is, but the very name makes me want to throw up.

Fair enough but the region locking is still bugging me.

Yeah, but it wasn't a shock due to the length of the pricing error. If it'd been fixed up sooner Ubi probably would have left the sub region-free.

maneil99

I just started the The Lego Movie Videogame and I'm greeted with jaggies, screen-tearing and ... no options to set video stuff up? Do I have to go through external programs to fix things?

You can force it through Nvidia Control Panel or CCC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom