• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2016 - Post Sale Hauls, Post Sale Blues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks to Cyan anonymous benefactor, here are some impressions for Pony Island:

The story: Hmm. Without giving away too much... You start out playing a dead simple run-and-gun.

Then it gets weird.

Then it gets WEIRD.

Then it tries to get weirder, but you're already complacent at the level of weirdness by now so it feels kinda average.

Then it gets weird.

Then derExperte shows up to make a cameo and talks to me while I'm playing.

Then it gets weird.

That....about sums it up. If you like weird surreal/meta/break-the-objective games, you'll like this.

The graphics: Mostly super-basic images, kinda like what you'd play on a mid-1980s PC. There are points where it breaks into late-80s or Amiga-style graphics, and a few points of realism in that clean Unity style. If graphics are important to you, this isn't the game for you.

The audio: Almost none to speak of. One small musical ditty and lots of an irritating hum to build tension.

The gameplay: As I said, it's sort of a break-the-objective game. If I had to group it into a single genre, I'd say "puzzle." There are lots of secrets to be found (I've only done one run and found less than half of them,) and finding most of those secrets requires a lot of doing stuff that doesn't progress the game, so ... it's almost like break-the-objective-which-was-breaking-the-objective-in-the-first-place. You get me? No? Well that's okay.

The length: The first run, according to Steam, took me 2.7 hours. There's a bit of replayability if you want to try to get all the secrets. So a pretty quick game.

The verdict: An interesting game. Glad I played it. If you get the chance to play it, do. Mind you, there's another game I recently played that's a puzzle game, that's $5, that takes 2.5-3 hours to play, that has "overwhelmingly positive" reviews on Steam just like Pony Island does, and that's The Room. Pony Island isn't as good as the Room, but I've always preferred my games to be more...conventional. Pony Island is far from conventional. So your mileage may vary.

Knurek

Did something happen to PCGamingWiki?

No article I've tried in the last two weeks actually loads any content.
Tried both on Vivaldi and Chrome...
Would be a shame to lose such a helpful resource.

//EDIT: Adblocker snafu.

Deques

I successfully subscribed this Amazon Prime thing. When do I get the credits?

nvm: I missed subscribing this Audible thing too

Edit: Bought After Dark dlc, now waiting for it to be processed

I successfully subscribed this Amazon Prime thing. When do I get the credits?

nvm: I missed subscribing this Audible thing too

Edit: Bought After Dark dlc, now waiting for it to be processed

Sweet.

afterdark-win.jpg

Tizoc

So what're the chances that this week's humble bundle is Fighting game-centric what with EVO '16 around the corner?

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Glitchesarecool, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
XCOM Enemy Unknown -- MB-30895E35940937FB - Taken by Mavromatis. 4 entrants total.

t1468343848z1.png

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Went with Ally in the first VLR ambidex game

Alreadydead.gif

Be careful when cancelling the Audible account. I defaulted to the Australian Audible that claimed I didn't have an account/free trial. Had to override the country redirect to go back to the US where the trial was only with the US Audible and then cancel it there.

Tizoc

Not going to start of by betraying Alice, despite her ridiculous design

Lotus was a much better character than Alice mainly due
to Alice not doing much in VLR, from what I remember
. My fav. part when playing VLR was
the game freaking KNOWS when you're going to do something merely from a gameplay standpoint. IT KNEW, IT FUCKING CAUGHT ME REDHANDED

yuraya

Humble Assassin's Creed Bundle
Humble Call of Duty Bundle
Humble Final Fantasy Bundle
Humble Windows 10 store Bundle
Humble Indie Bundle 17

Any of those would suffice. It will probably be nothing tho.

I'm actually more hyped to see what tomorrow's Legendary Bundlestars bundle turns out to be.

Oh it's ten bucks credit. That's not really a loophole guys, it's their promotion. They know you can get it and cancel.

Not sure if I should get Prototype 2 or use it on something practical.

illusionary

Humble Assassin's Creed Bundle
Humble Call of Duty Bundle
Humble Final Fantasy Bundle
Humble Windows 10 store Bundle
Humble Indie Bundle 17

Any of those would suffice. It will probably be nothing tho.

I'm actually more hyped to see what tomorrow's Legendary Bundlestars bundle turns out to be.
I'm always hopeful of the next "Humble Jumble Bundle", but I'm fairly sure that it'll be a while before that's due.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom