• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Next Fest: June 2024 Edition

8PRzLGm.png

KiwOO3Z.png

To help kick things off, here are some demo recommendations courtesy of Noisy Pixel:

WXvz71E.png

Shadow of the Ninja: Reborn is a remastered release of a legendary classic. This action-adventure gem from Tengo Project lets players wield a striking katana and an expanded arsenal of weaponry, all while showcasing the acrobatic finesse of a true ninja. With six intricately designed stages filled with devious traps and challenging platform puzzles, players will need to harness their inner warrior to navigate this concrete jungle. Whether you’re a solo ninja or teaming up in the acclaimed two-player co-op mode as Hayate and Kaede, the game promises a thrilling ride.

One of the standout features is the game’s soundtrack, featuring contributions from iconic composer Iku Mizutani. Further, the visuals have also undergone a significant upgrade, with high-quality sprites bringing the deadly foes and stages to life. Players can customize their loadouts using hard-earned points in the tool shop, adding a layer of strategy to the fast-paced action.

yl9kO8K.png

Metal Slug Tactics brings the explosive charm and nostalgic fun of the cult Metal Slug series into the tactical RPG scene. This game blends classic arcade action with roguelite tactical gameplay, allowing players to lead their squad through strategic battles. The tactical RPG mechanics are enhanced by the ability to accumulate experience after each battle, unlocking new weapons and perks to upgrade your team’s firepower. With iconic characters from the METAL SLUG universe, players can create the perfect team to thwart General Morden’s devious plans.

The game promises a high replayability factor with its die-and-retry roguelite progression. I know, I know, the genre gets a bad rap, but there are still plenty of players who flock to quality roguelite titles, which is why we still see them. Metal Slug Tactics features 110 hand-crafted maps and 20 different mission types with optional challenges to perfect their strategies and adapt to their enemies. The pixel art graphics pay homage to the series’ roots, while the soundtrack by Tee Lopes keeps the adrenaline pumping. Whether you’re a veteran of the series or a newcomer, the game’s blend of action and strategy promises countless hours of fun and challenging gameplay.

nPIlyRf.jpeg

On Your Tail is a delightful blend of relaxation and investigation set in the charming seaside village of Borgo Marina. Players follow the adventures of Diana, an intrepid sleuth on a quest for the perfect summer vacation. As you explore the picturesque town, you’ll engage in a mix of investigation, interrogation, and deduction to unravel the local mysteries. The game offers a unique card-game-inspired gameplay mechanic, where players must use clues and leads to solve puzzles and uncover secrets. We were able to play this game on Nintendo Switch not too long ago, and it really made an impact on us with its narrative storyline and detective gameplay elements.

Further, On Your Tail features life-sim elements where players can build relationships with the villagers, engage in recreational activities like fishing and cooking, and enjoy the leisurely pace of life in Borgo Marina. The beautifully crafted 3D environment, combined with a heartwarming narrative, makes this game a refreshing escape from the everyday hustle. It’s a perfect blend of mystery and relaxation, promising an unforgettable getaway.

aLgElY6.jpeg

Mirage Feathers takes players back to when Sega kids had a genre to brag about. This pseudo-3D rail shooter has players control Notari, a cybernetic air-superiority fighter, as she battles wave after wave of enemy aircraft. The game’s advanced fire control system locks onto targets automatically, allowing for intense, fast-paced combat. As players progress, they can unlock additional weapon options, each offering a range of playstyles and combat strategies.

The game features both Story Mode and Endless Mode, providing a mix of scripted levels and infinite waves of challenging enemies. Story Mode explores characters and their backgrounds through text-based dialogues and character art, while Endless Mode focuses on relentless combat and survival. We’re fully on board to play this Space Harrier homage, so we’re hoping that highlighting it here will get you to join us.

KycJLKW.jpeg

Tails of Iron 2: Whiskers of Winter continues the epic saga of the Rats of the South, now facing a new threat from the North. Players control Arlo, the young heir to the Warden of the Wastes, as he journeys through the snow-ravaged lands to defeat the Dark Wings. The game features fully narrated storytelling by RPG-legend Doug Cockle and a vast, wintry kingdom to explore.

During gameplay, players must hunt down giant beasts, master brutal combat, and customize their arsenal of weapons to survive the perilous North. The game also includes settlement management, allowing players to upgrade their base and unlock new items and abilities. We’re glad to see Tails of Iron 2: Whiskers of Winter continue this IP legacy because the first entry was honestly a surprisingly good game.​

As with past threads here on GAF, you're encouraged to post and discuss the demos you've played and enjoyed during this new edition of Steam Next Fest.​

Last edited:

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
I tried these games so far;

Wild Bastards-- I liked Void Bastards more than this. Somehow, the menus in this one seemed more complicated to me, and I didn't really enjoy the battles being shorter. Although I appreciate the art design, overall, it didn't impress me as much as the first game.

Wizard Of Legend 2- The artistic design was definitely better in the first game. The enemies also seem to have become more like magic-sponges. I couldn't get the same enjoyment as from the first game.

Metal Slug Tactics-- This one looks pretty good. It's like a mix of XCOM and Into the Breach. I like it so far, but since it's just a demo, I'm not sure if I'll continue.

I'm gonna try Demonschool and Flintlock next.

Holammer

Tried a few games.

Basically Viscera Clean-up Detail, but with a gobbo maid cleaning the dungeon after an adventurer raid. Feed meat chunks to a mimic and mop the blood with a slime on a stick. Stages don't require a full 8h work day to clean up and there's less inane busy work compared with Viscera. My favourite of the bunch.

Good idea, but I have doubts over presentation as every character seems to have a very punchable face and voice. No setting and it runs at a poor framerate.

Desert Strike style heli shooter. The setting is super silly and would have been perfect in the 90s, but I'm not feeling the art direction.

Pixelart Metroidvania pinball developed by a single dev. Pretty cool. Yoku's Island Express is better, but it still goes in the wishlist.

Afterburner clone with proper super scaler graphics and bullet hell elements. It looks fantastic, superb even and plays ok, but there's a weird loli theme with pantsu and everything. I find it very baffling how a developer would limit themselves to a super niche audiance, the venn diagram intersection between afterburner fans and lolicons must be tiny. Why?!

wtf-am-i-looking-at-blinking.gif

They have a demo for Dungeons of Hinterburg and the remake of Riven.
Installing a bunch of these. The cute goblin game is only 607MB.

Edit-Ha just finished the Riven Demo. They changed up the puzzles! The island layout is also slightly different. I have some control complaints with manipulating levers and things. Trying to get the tram to run was frustrating as I would click on the lever and then my character would stand up instead of moving the lever.
The sounds and music are the same but the live action actors have been replaced with computer graphics.
This looks like it's built with VR in mind. I've got it in the wish list.

Now to try out those cute goblins.
edit-cute goblin game is not controller friendly, the opening song is fun though.

Last edited:
I am not 100% sure about whether these are part of the Steam Next Fest, but these demos are pretty cool:

Enotria: The Last Song - An Italian folk lore flavored souls-like game.
RiposteV3.gif

Parcel Corps. - A mix of Crazy Taxi and urban bmx riding like Bomb Rush Cyberfunk.
PC_11.gif

Immortal Hunters - An edgy medieval fantasy themed (keyboard and mouse) sidescroller with story telling.
IMMO-Steam_GIF_1.gif

Night Slashers Remake - A classic horror themed beat 'em up updated with great gameplay improvements.
ss_9c10fea9622c95da528dffb263fd88b467134830.1920x1080.jpg

Last edited:

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Flintlock: The Siege of Dawn

I can say it's a good soulslike. It looks better than that other game with an Italian folklore theme. I liked the platforming elements, there's even a triple jump, and just running and jumping around is fun. The combat system is a mix of Souls/Sekiro and they've done a good job with it. It also has one of my favorite features from Ghost of Tsushima: camps that become active when you kill the leader.

It holds your hand a bit too much; having tutorials and quest logs at every step tired me out, but I hope it becomes more open as the game progresses.

It's going to be on Game Pass, and I plan to play it when it comes out, but I'll also take into account the feedback from those who have finished the game. It's really unfortunate that it's coming out a month after the Elden Ring DLC and a month before Black Myth: Wukong. Maybe it could have reached a larger audience if it were released closer to winter. If you like soulslikes, you can give it a try.

Wildebeest

I saw the developer of this on YouTube some time before noticing the demo. It is a puzzle platformer, and while they were the rage at the start of the indie scene, they are fairly rare now. I don't really want to like this just to spite people getting publicity for games by starting a youtube channel, but it is good.

This is really a more of a musical toy than a game, but I enjoyed it way more than most of what I tried.

Not much of a looker and seems like a mobile game, but it is well-designed. Apparently it is based on a puzzle book, explaining its appearance.

Holammer

Next is ending soon. Here's a few more games I tried.

Developed by Italian Memorable Games, another game for my wishlist. A puzzle/life sim game about a woman getting stuck in a picturesque seaside town when her scooter breaks down. Turns out she's a bit of a detective, owns a magical doohickey that allows her view changes in the environment and there's a mystery afoot in Borgo Marina.
It's pretty simple, but the focus is on VN style story telling and character interactions.

Critter Cove is Animal Crossing with extra steps and it's clearly made by furries. You arrive on an island where Tom Nook some rat called Renard puts you to work to renovate the houses and attract tourists and new villagers to live there. One twist mechanic in this game is that you learn to craft items by disassembling broken ones. There's plenty of sea and island to explore and underwater realms to dive into. It's pretty good and I put in bit over 4 hours trying it, worth checking out.
My only complaint is that it's not "sexy" enough, not with T&A, but the character designs are plain boring and lack the polish & pizzazz of Animal Crossing.

ODDADA is not a game, it's a game'ified music maker where you create multiple music tracks with small imaginative fisher price style style toys and combine them into a song, record them to a virtual cassette tape and unlock new features and music makers.

Tried downloading the demo for Shadow of the Ninja - Reborn a few times during the event, but the demo is restricted to a few Asian countries and not available in EU/US/JP for some odd reason. Maybe some license issue.

Top Bottom