• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Perfect Dark New Trailer Released | Xbox Showcase 2024

clem84

Gold Member
Remember the American model that Nintendo hired to promote the N64 release of the game? Her name was Michelle Merkin. Having an in-game model that looks closer to this would've been great.

z3Orre4.jpeg
4ZeVIOz.jpeg

sPXqT2m.jpeg
UAVYyvS.jpeg

Last edited:

Porcile

After all these years they have clearly made less than 30 minutes of actual gameplay. You gotta be pretty desperate to make a trailer out of the little they have so far.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Looks better on the trailer than the stream. I'm excited for it. I love Mirror's Edge and this looks like that with melee counters and some mark and execute pistol stuff from Splinter Cell. Not revolutionary, but looks like fun to me.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Image 1: M'aamJaw Syndrome, thick eyebrows, empty gaze, chapped mouth, Auburn hair with blond highlights, uninterested look, light blue eyes, big nose, broad masculine facial structure

Image 2: Dark brown hair, dark blue eyes, facial blush, feminine nose, defined eyebrows, well cared for lips/mouth, determined gaze, feminine facial structure with triangular symmetry

I'll take option 2 for a lithe stealthy secret agent.

Ristifer

Doesn’t look anything like PD, but I’m sure there will be parts that do. I’m definitely in for a more Deus Ex feel anyway.

StueyDuck

I think the fact that everyone says they love it and then mentions a plethora of video games that aren't Perfect Dark when describing it sums up my initial reaction.

I just don't know why they even bothered with the IP, it's not like it sells hotcakes for MS, they very easily could have created a brand new thing. Part of me thinks it would have hit harder if they did, similar to how when Geurilla first Showed Horizon, Imagine if that was a Dino Crisis game instead.

Imagine if you will that this was called something else and you had watched that trailer having no idea or no previous expectations in your head. This is more Prey than God of War 2018 in regards to "rebooting" a franchise, if it's an ounce as special as Prey then this will be a good game, but much like Prey, this didn't need to be attached to an already established IP.

Last edited:

RagnarokIV

Battlebus imprisoning me \m/ >.< \m/
I think the fact that everyone says they love it and then mentions a plethora of video games that aren't Perfect Dark when describing it sums up my initial reaction.

I just don't know why they even bothered with the IP, it's not like it sells hotcakes for MS, they very easily could have created a brand new thing. Part of me thinks it would have hit harder if they did, similar to how when Geurilla first Showed Horizon, Imagine if that was a Dino Crisis game instead.

Imagine if you will this was called something else and you had watched that trailer having no idea or no previous expectations in your head. This is more Prey than God of War 2018 in regards to "rebooting" a franchise, if it's an ounce as special as Prey then this will be a good game, but much like Prey, this didn't need to be attached to an already established IP.
Looking at this thread, I think we're the only two Perfect Dark fans.

Absolutely pointless.
It's similiar to how Prey was an amazing game, but nothing like Prey (and they stole the name thinking it would make bank over a new IP lol)
I hope this will be a good game because we don't have many games like it but sadly, it's just not a Perfect Dark game.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service

Absolutely pointless.
It's similiar to how Prey was an amazing game, but nothing like Prey (and they stole the name thinking it would make bank over a new IP lol)
I hope this will be a good game because we don't have many games like it but sadly, it's just not a Perfect Dark game.
I was expecting a 3rd person game from Crystal Dynamics. I always expected a total reboot / reimagining.

StueyDuck

Absolutely pointless.
Prey could have been called Talos 1 and it still would have been one of if not the best game made that year and one of the best immersive sims ever made.

And probably would have sold the same amount, I don't think anyone bought it thinking it was the humanhead sequel bounty hunter game

March Climber

Gold Member
I have the original cartridge, the box, the N64 prima guide with the comic inside(that almost accurately described Arnold Schwarzenegger becoming a governor), PD Zero, the comic for PD zero, the remaster, and I used to own the figurine for PD zero.

I was also one of the few here who would constantly fight Goldeneye fans about PD being the superior game.

This new game's gameplay still looked good to me.

I didn't expect it to play like an old, stiff N64 Rare game from 2000 (no one should) and I didn't expect it to play like an early Xbox 360 game with bad controls (no one should). If anyone wants the former, there's a game that recently came out called 'Agent 64' that I recommend people check out.

Last edited:

Mozzarella

I never played Perfect Dark before, i hope they dont butcher the original so i get to experience the game as faithfully as possible with new graphics.
If this game releases to bad scores and bad word of mouth, im going to try the old one.
Is it good or just a product of its time? how does it compare to UT, Doom, Quake, Half-Life and Deus Ex?

Also what is it with these big jaws? just adjust her a little bit, holy shit what is this incompetence? learn from Capcom!!!

Last edited:

March Climber

Gold Member
I never played Perfect Dark before, i hope they dont butcher the original so i get to experience the game as faithfully as possible with new graphics.
If this game releases to bad scores and bad word of mouth, im going to try the old one.
Is it good or just a product of its time? how does it compare to UT, Doom, Quake, Half-Life and Deus Ex?
It has incredible level design, multiplayer design, and creative gadgets/weapons. The only thing that has aged about it is it's controls. N64 had one analog stick and it controls like a game that was programmed around this, thus it feels awkward to use with two sticks. It even felt awkward to use when using two N64 controllers at the same time for dual-stick.

It will take some getting used to but if you manage to do so, it's one of the best N64 games ever made.

wEGa4Jt.jpeg

Did they hire aloy’s older sister 😂

Game looks amazing but what have they done to Joanna...

m2vgCiC.jpeg

Western devs are utterly incapable of making aestetically pleasing women anymore...
It’s not that they can’t, they are not allowed to unless they want the feminist mob after them.

Last edited:

ToneyJ

Aaaaannddd of course they fucked up her design.

wEGa4Jt.jpeg

It's not even that she's ugly (she's not). It's just that this looks like FemShep or some strong jawed military chick. It doesn't look like a sexy secret agent which is what Joanna Dark is supposed to be.

Last edited:
Not sure if it was posted but its a reboot, not a remake if it wasnt obvious from the trailer.

Perfect Dark is a first-person secret agent thriller in a near-future world. With the blessing of the original Perfect Dark studio, Rare (not to mention some of the leads from the original titles), Team Perfect Dark has pulled inspiration from elements of the first two games, but crafted an entirely new story and universe around them for this reboot.

I have a bad feeling about this from that showcase to be honest.

Felt a bit cheeky showing us that gameplay, which was blatantly not actual gameplay, it's been 6 years in development so that's not a great sign.

Also I’m concerned how often even that short trailer had the same "interact with something from a distance to get past guards" mechanic, looked boring, they should have shown the Farsight, Laptop gun etc, that's what made PD for me, multiplayer and interesting weapons. Is this the Ubisoft team behind Watchdogs perchance helping with this?

Then to top it off they've seemingly re-used the "Haze" storyline of her not seeing the world as it really is, ironic as the original PD designer went on to make Haze which flopped massively.

So quite a few alarm bells.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member

Absolutely pointless.
Mate I smashed up my local when they wouldn't break the street date for Perfect Dark on the N64.

Get over yourselves.

(The above is a true story btw).

Hmmm... not convinced. Perfect Dark on N64 is one of my favorite games of all time. I don't feel like anything of what was shown feels like a Perfect Dark game. I guess at the very least I'm glad the game still exists, I thought at this point the game was vaporware and would never come out. I'll reserve judgement until they have more to show, but a little bit disappointed at the moment.

Seems really derivative, honestly... Everything about the gameplay looks like things I have seen before from FPS games.

Also the Protagonist sounds and looks really generic... As far as I remember, she had a more unique swagger to her look before.

This just looks like if you took the Protagonist from Control, and swapped the hair. Just really dry. No fashion sense at all.

It's not even the "she's ugly" thing, I'm self-aware that I'm ugly, so going on about how ugly someone is, fictional or not, is really embarrassing.

Just seems like the swagger she had is just gone.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
Didn't expect to see PD and didn't think they would manage to make it look cool after the last PD trainwreck. But this looks close to a game I'd like to play. Thumbs up.

Last edited:
Top Bottom