• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Perfect Dark New Trailer Released | Xbox Showcase 2024

YeulEmeralda

Linux User
Pretty much the way I feel about it too. Looks good but nothing like PD. I guess I don't mind though because the original game is 25 years old so I don't expect it to be much like the original, although I wish it was.

For the people complaining about her looks, I agree that she's not attractive and kind of manly but she was like that in the original game too.
PD was a 10 hour FPS. Nobody makes those anymore for a reason (except indie studios).

I am actually curious if it was a real gameplay or not. Certain moments feel a little bit either staged (like a guy falling from the balcony) or a little bit too cool (last scene where she defeated a guy and shot another two).

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
sevi5LF.jpeg
I want to speak to the manager edition.

ZoukGalaxy

It looks good "as it" but, as a N64 original game deep fan, I don't feel any Perfect Dark vibes here and I really don't like the parkour thing, the new face and everything else: everything is just completely out of place for me, it's not Perfect Dark, it's just another generic game taking mechanisms from every others successful IP existing.

And the music: it's again so boring, generic and "bright" again, it's not Perfect Dark, the original soundtrack was so iconic. But that's just a trailer, maybe the game music will be different but I doubt it will not.

Last edited:

pasterpl

I would not expect you to understand.

778503.jpg
You are absolutely right, I cannot understand thins like racism, misogyny, people hating other people based on where they from, how they look, who they choose to be with, and people that want to sexualise every game character. It is indication of sickness - the need to sexualise virtually generated characters.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
So umm I just spoke with various managers and.... Ummm, that trailer is very ms-leading and all agree how can something so obvious could be be displayed.
Tell us more!

Going by this thread, there were a few that noticed something was off.

Last edited:
It's like making James Bond an ugly dude.
It's a skip for me. I've had enough.
The irony is that Ian Flemming wanted Bond to look like a regular bloke who coincidentally looked like this guy:
Hoagy Charmichael and noting remotely close to the handsome dudes you've seen in the movies. James bond was described as "good looking" but was had the facial expressions of a cold and ruthless brute.

Closer

0e3.png

I'll keep an eye on it if it's any good. Meanwhile, the trailer showed nothing that was really bad. Looks like some concept trailer still.

Lots of hypercritical replies. Perfect Dark was just Goldeneye with different weapons. Rare was trying to ride that wave. There wasn’t anything terribly spectacular about it. However, this game looks to take all the concepts and expand on them. I feel like half the commenters here never played the original PD.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Lots of hypercritical replies. Perfect Dark was just Goldeneye with different weapons. Rare was trying to ride that wave. There wasn’t anything terribly spectacular about it. However, this game looks to take all the concepts and expand on them. I feel like half the commenters here never played the original PD.
The weapons, bots, and music was spectacular in Perfect Dark. How dare you.

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
I bought the OG PD when it came out because it was the "successor" to the Goldeneye. It was the same development team and it used the same engine so it looked and felt familiar in that sense. It was a cool game with a lot of cool weapons though the game was generally less memorable to me than Goldeneye. But that was 25 years ago and a completely different era.

I never played Perfect Dark Zero and never really cared too.

This game could be cool but I'm not sure there is a large Perfect Dark fanbase.

chlorate

Perfect Dark isn’t frigging Deus Ex, it’s not an immersive sim, and it shouldn’t have to be. It’s a speedrunnable FPS with some stealth elements, the combat has high bullet damage and no regenerating health/health kits offset by fairly slow enemy reaction times, there are different objectives based on difficulty level, a wide array of gadgets, the NPCs are fun to interact with, the levels aren’t incredibly linear and are set in interesting locations. It is intended to be played on a controller and the combat has auto-aim. The player can disarm enemies and grab their weapons, and they respond in unpredictable ways like pulling a sidearm, a grenade, attempting to kick you, etc. There is a time attack mode and unlockables based on it that change the way the game is played. Strafing is faster than simply running forward. There is couch co-op for sure and maybe even counter-op.

There are no skills, no perks, no experience points, and no quicksaves. Weapons often, but not always, have alternate fire. A good Perfect Dark level should be just as fun the 100th time you play it as the first time.

JayK47

You are absolutely right, I cannot understand thins like racism, misogyny, people hating other people based on where they from, how they look, who they choose to be with, and people that want to sexualise every game character. It is indication of sickness - the need to sexualise virtually generated characters.
Lots of assumptions in there. It is a game. And traditionally, games and movies have good looking lead characters to increase the appeal of the game/movie. In recent history, female leads have been made to be intentionally ugly for ideological reasons. You are perfectly aware of this, but seem to be ok with it. That is fine for you. I am tired of it and I vote with my wallet. What is worse, is when this is done to a previously good looking character, such as Joanna Dark or MJ from Spiderman. These developers can't leave existing characters alone. This uglification of female game characters, in particular, existing ones which previously were good looking, is what is sick.

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
Doesn't look much like 'Perfect Dark', looked more like 'Darkened Mirror's Edge'.

You'd think for a Perfect Dark trailer, they'd try and highlight the weaponry and gadgets, but nope, they chose to focus on melee combat and traversal, things very much not synonymous with the franchise. But this is a reboot of sorts, so 'Bold move Cotton' etc etc.
It was made by crystal dynamics. Im not surprised they shoe horned in traversal. Tomb raider was full of it.

personally im sick of the 2007 uncharted like traversal thats in alot of games .

RCU005

I loved the gameplay, but can you not realize that this is not a real gameplay at all, and the game will not play like that nor will it look like that? Have we not learned about the countless games that show "gameplay" in early stages, only to be something completely downgraded? (FFXV, Watch Dogs, Anthem, TLOU Part 2, etc).

Fake gameplay is much worse than CG trailers, but somehow people drink the Kool-aid.

YeulEmeralda

Linux User
Perfect Dark isn’t frigging Deus Ex, it’s not an immersive sim, and it shouldn’t have to be. It’s a speedrunnable FPS with some stealth elements, the combat has high bullet damage and no regenerating health/health kits offset by fairly slow enemy reaction times, there are different objectives based on difficulty level, a wide array of gadgets, the NPCs are fun to interact with, the levels aren’t incredibly linear and are set in interesting locations. It is intended to be played on a controller and the combat has auto-aim. The player can disarm enemies and grab their weapons, and they respond in unpredictable ways like pulling a sidearm, a grenade, attempting to kick you, etc. There is a time attack mode and unlockables based on it that change the way the game is played. Strafing is faster than simply running forward. There is couch co-op for sure and maybe even counter-op.

There are no skills, no perks, no experience points, and no quicksaves. Weapons often, but not always, have alternate fire. A good Perfect Dark level should be just as fun the 100th time you play it as the first time.
You can't do 2000 gameplay in 2024. Like I already mentioned PD was 10 hours long nobody is going to pay money for that.

If they ever make a Quake 5 I don't expect the gameplay to be like Quake 2 either.
And as that other post said: this is a reboot.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I dunno, I think it looks cool and these elements seem like a good fit for Perfect Dark. I'll probably give it a try on my PS5 Pro when it comes out. That said... the trailer has the same problem so many others have this year... characters in the game won't STFU. Why do I need some idiot explaining everything happening every second? Damn zoomers. Please, devs, you need to stop this right now.

Edit: it makes you wonder, though, if this is the game they wanted to make, why didn't they put Arkane Austin on this instead of contracting it out to an external dev? Arkane was on the payroll and knows how to make games like this, but no, give them one they don't know how to make and then shut them down.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Good lord, people. I know it's a meme at this point to hate on female character designs in western games, but in this case, it's absolutely fucking fine. The model she's based on has a strong jawline (probably why they chose her as it's meant to be a heroic character), and is hot as absolute fuck:

DdE8tiU.png

There's a strong argument to be had in some cases that female characters are being deliberately made to look less attractive to prevent the male gaze. This is not one of those occasions.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Edit: it makes you wonder, though, if this is the game they wanted to make, why didn't they put Arkane Austin on this instead of contracting it out to an external dev? Arkane was on the payroll and knows how to make games like this, but no, give them one they don't know how to make and then shut them down.

I think development for both Perfect Dark and Redfall began before Microsoft's acquisition of Bethesda, so they were both already in production.

I'm sure Arkane would have preferred to have cancelled Redfall and been moved over to PD though.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
I think development for both Perfect Dark and Redfall began before Microsoft's acquisition of Bethesda, so they were both already in production.

I'm sure Arkane would have preferred to have cancelled Redfall and been moved over to PD though.
Avowed as well I think. Shit takes a long time.

Top Bottom