• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Perfect Dark New Trailer Released | Xbox Showcase 2024

MayauMiao

Hey, at least its a Perfect Dark game rather than letting the IP remain in the dark.

From the trailer, Its not as bad as what we heard but its hard to judge until there is a final product.

Zuzu

I hope the field of view will be adjustable in the final game on the consoles because it was very narrow in the trailer.

Ozriel

M$FT
How dare he expect a Perfect Dark game to be more like a sequel to the Perfect Dark series?!? Unreasonable peasant… /s.

I do not mind the new direction if they really polished the ME’s style flow to traversal and combat (easier said than done) and visually it is stunning, but you could cut down the at-all-costs astroturfing defence of the “Message”.

the game was announced as a reboot of the franchise.

Why would it be ‘more like a sequel’?

Having to explain the difference between Remake, Reboot and Remaster to long term members of a gaming enthusiast forum is quite the thing indeed. I can only imagine there’s some level of trolling going on 🤡

Last edited:

Wildebeest

I really can't tolerate first person hand-to-hand combat like that. When I play Dishonoured I absolutely never used the sword, if it came down to swordplay I just reloaded.

SScorpio

There are a lot more holes in his argument than that, but yes you’re right, Goldeneye was treated as the public golden child, not PD.

And even then that sentiment was mainly due to it being a really fun 4 player couch PvP game. PC gamers did not like either game. They looked down their noses at both and wondered why Goldeneye and PD were even mentioned in the same breath as Quake and UT.

What the reviewers and hardcore PD fans actually rave about is rarely the part of it that should have been discussed, which is the mission and level design.
Exactly this, it's what people had at the time and while good for what they delivered on a console, they didn't hold a candle to Quake and UT played online.

Perfect Dark had the even rougher comparison in that it released two year after Half Life. And if you wanted spy action, it was released the same year as No One Live Forever.

All that said, this new game has my interest. As people said the Dying Light/Mirror's Edge movement, with Deus Ex looking game play looks like it could be amazing. They knew what they were doing with a cold open of that trailer where everyone is just like "this looks cool". Only for the "Agent Dark", wait... this is the new Perfect Dark??? OMG it looks insane.

simpatico

Makes no sense to invest in this IP. It began its life as a way to make a Goldeneye sequel without paying for the license. It was never supposed to matter and the very few people who care about will never be satisfied with a modern take on it. Just another attempt at nostalgia rape.

Makes no sense to invest in this IP. It began its life as a way to make a Goldeneye sequel without paying for the license. It was never supposed to matter and the very few people who care about will never be satisfied with a modern take on it. Just another attempt at nostalgia rape.
Im pretty sure its the deus ex game CD wanted to make but since they dont have the ip for it they just used perfect dark as a bait for old farts like us. Either way im in, we dont get im sims these days and since Arkane fucked up, no one else can do it but CD. I hope they nail it. This is a game i truly want to succeed. Fuck the haters

simpatico

Im pretty sure its the deus ex game CD wanted to make but since they dont have the ip for it they just used perfect dark as a bait for old farts like us. Either way im in, we dont get im sims these days and since Arkane fucked up, no one else can do it but CD. I hope they nail it. This is a game i truly want to succeed. Fuck the haters
It’s my genre for sure. I hope it can overcome its IP baggage.

BlackTron

Gold Member
Hey, at least its a Perfect Dark game rather than letting the IP remain in the dark.

lzLXZcI.gif

clarky

Gold Member
You can tell the entirety of this trailer is set in the opening 10 to 30 minutes. I think it would be a stretch to say this game is even 10% complete.
Your correct this entire post is a stretch.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Havent seen a "demo" this fake since old gen

Moment to moment gameplay will be nothing like this. Everything was scripted.

This is not indicative of how the game is right now. Tho fake, I loved the visuals and their vision for the game.

Hopefuly they will pull it off
Spencer said on the IGN live interview that Initiative is just a few blocks from that location, and they all played that whole thing. We'll see.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I want this to be good, but production wise it looks rough to me. Too many janky animations at the moment, and graphically it looks like a last gen game. I was excited to see it and I think gameplay wise it could be great but it looks like a Ubisoft game to me. Like the way old ubisoft games used to look. I cant quite explain it.

StereoVsn

Whatever floats your boat.

"It'S an AKsHun GamE witH cHaraCter and ThiNgS , eXAcTly tHe SaME"

We both know you weren't making a good faith argument and it's purely console driven, I am console agnostic and perfect dark was thee game I played most on N64 until I got timesplitters2 to take that spot and hey look at that, made by the same people...

Needless to say I know what the game is and the game I saw on screen now is absolutely nothing like perfect dark.
This has a bit of the energy from:

Square just shot themselves in the foot.
I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. “

Replace Square with MS and replace Japanese with Perfect Dark. 😅🤣😂

StueyDuck

Havent seen a "demo" this fake since old gen

This is not indicative of how the game is right now. Tho fake, I loved the visuals and their vision for the game.

Hopefuly they will pull it off
It's a vertical slice.

I give leniency for fake animations and so on. Many games do it. Question is how close can they got to it with the final game.

This has a bit of the energy from:

Square just shot themselves in the foot.
I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. “

Replace Square with MS and replace Japanese with Perfect Dark. 😅🤣😂
I mean we all know that it was never going to be a good faith argument 🤷‍♂️. Just listing descriptors and saying it's the same.

Like me saying, a game about a squad of soldiers infiltrating an objective, completing a mission and trying to extract before the time runs out.

Could be helldivers2, could be tarkov, could be call of duty, battlefield and so on. I wouldn't say any of them are the same

I'm sure many feel the same as me, not claiming to be an expert in perfect dark. Just a fond lover of the 64 title

Last edited:

intbal

Looks great and reminds of games from mid 2000s like Stolen and such, but obviously a lot more modernized and the genre is different. Anyway, I'm glad they actually found a way to make this game and save it from dev hell. Can't wait :messenger_relieved:

s-l1600.jpg

You either never played Stolen, or it's been so long you forgot what the gameplay was like.
It was a pure stealth game based on evading capture. Getting into a shooting match would leave you dead 99% of the time.

StereoVsn

It's a vertical slice.

I give leniency for fake animations and so on. Many games do it. Question is how close can they got to it with the final game.

I mean we all know that it was never going to be a good faith argument 🤷‍♂️. Just listing descriptors and saying it's the same.

Like me saying, a game about a squad of soldiers infiltrating an objective, completing a mission and trying to extract before the time runs out.

Could be helldivers2, could be tarkov, could be call of duty, battlefield and so on. I wouldn't say any of them are the same

I'm sure many feel the same as me, not claiming to be an expert in perfect dark. Just a fond lover of the 64 title
I just think it’s way too early to get into arguments about the game which we don’t know all that much about.

Give it more time for a much more in depth gameplay reveal and then we could argue details about how it’s not faithful to the original.

subsmoke

Game looks good enough.

But an absolute bastardisation of the IP. Absolutely nothing In this is perfect dark at all other than the name in the title.

Looks like they've just attached a random game to an ip because they were worried it wouldn't sell.
Pretty much the way I feel about it too. Looks good but nothing like PD. I guess I don't mind though because the original game is 25 years old so I don't expect it to be much like the original, although I wish it was.

For the people complaining about her looks, I agree that she's not attractive and kind of manly but she was like that in the original game too.

subsmoke

I dunno, it's a first person action-espionage adventure starring a female protagonist that utilizes futuristic tech. Seems strong to say "Absolutely nothing In this is perfect dark at all other than the name in the title".
Imagine if this game was not called Perfect Dark and you saw the trailer, would you think "Hey this reminds me of Perfect Dark"? I wouldn't.

Hugare

Spencer said on the IGN live interview that Initiative is just a few blocks from that location, and they all played that whole thing. We'll see.
Meryl Streep Doubt GIF

Ive seen my share of scripted demos, so I can identify bullshit from a mile away.

Using Spencer as proof, I mean ... If there's one person that I wouldnt trust on this case its him.

But we will see in time

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
You either never played Stolen, or it's been so long you forgot what the gameplay was like.
It was a pure stealth game based on evading capture. Getting into a shooting match would leave you dead 99% of the time.
I played and remember what it was, I'm talking about some visual design of the game with all these early 2000s UI, gadgets etc. Obviously the new PD is way different than Stolen in terms of genre alone.

Last edited:

Matsuchezz

The Trailer as such is unimpressive and uninspiring, really a bit of a let down. I played PD when I was a teenager on the N64. I would want them to pick up the aliens subject. This get me Hitman vibes in FP. I don't like Hitman games. And looks like the environments are pretty enclosed.
The enemies design reminds me of Haze.

Arachnid

This was my personal game of the show. A cyberpunk immersive sim where you play as a secret agent? After Deus Ex was kil, I needed this.

Last edited:

Wildebeest

This was my personal game of the show. A cyberpunk immersive sim where you play as a secret agent? After Deus Ex was kil, I needed this.
People are so thirsty for immersive sims. At best, this looked like a cross between Mirror's Edge and Watch Dogs.

March Climber

Gold Member
Whether scripted or not, this all looked quite possible for it all to be in a game together.

• Mirror’s Edge style parkour and sliding
  • Wallhacking tech
  • Assassin’s creed style death from above kill
  • First person parry system
  • Splinter Cell Conviction style multikill skill
  • Slightly destructible background elements.

StueyDuck

I just think it’s way too early to get into arguments about the game which we don’t know all that much about.

Give it more time for a much more in depth gameplay reveal and then we could argue details about how it’s not faithful to the original.
Thing is... I'm not arguing.

Just that one person who was playing defense force 🤷‍♂️ for some reason... (even though I've said the game looks good)

ARK1391

There is also alot of cyberpunk style fake gameplay but most games do that with their vertical slice so I'm not gonna knock it for that.
I notcied this too. Been awhile since I've seen a vertical slice like this that clearly shows features can't be in the final game. That 3 person execution was sick, but so obviously not going to be in the game.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
I notcied this too. Been awhile since I've seen a vertical slice like this that clearly shows features can't be in the final game. That 3 person execution was sick, but so obviously not going to be in the game.
That's literally in Splinter Cell Conviction on the 360.

It could be in the game. We'll have to wait and see. It's not like it's impossible to do. It is hopefully some kind of mark and execute variant that promotes strategy and scouting, or it could be some kind of super move that just auto shoots people. Pretty sure that's in Red Dead 1 also.

Last edited:

cireza

As someone who hasn't played the previous games, I think that the character looks very good and conveys in a single look the personality of a strong agent.

However I really have an issue with how bloated the backgrounds in these modern games are. There are way too many things, too many different gradients, too many details, and it is difficult to easily understand what is of importance and what isn't.

Last edited:

hyperbertha

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided is a disappointment, in my view. Ever heard about technique "show, don't tell"? Deus Ex: Mankind Divided is what happens when you "tell" too much, but ignore "show" aspect. While the game is loading, we get to see amazing concept art of epic structures, cool architecture designs, ambition but what do we get? Prague hub world that's like the most boring visualization of a sci-fi city of all times. It doesn't feel like you are in this epic world, it feels like a CS 1.6. map. It's the size of an average shoebox. NPCs are dead, no sense of intelligence or routine or anything. Did you play original Deus Ex? That game is "among the best games ever made" and one of the greatest pieces of escapism ever created.

I agree. Deus Ex as a series is amazing. But I said: "Looks like a reskin of Deus Ex: Mankind Divided. And that game was a disappointment." Deus Ex: Mankind Divided was not good. And no matter how many YouTubers with great production, reviewers or even gamers praise it, I have my standards and I say it's not good and it lacks ambition. The game is an insult to original Deus Ex. 6/10? Maybe. But anything higher could be considered lying.

If you two enjoyed MD, that's great. I am happy for you.

Perfect Dark in this trailer looks like the devs liked Deus Ex: MD too much and that's not a good thing, for me.
Mankind nd divided's hub world is bigger than of Deus ex. I get that it's not very impressive in scale, but it's still the most dense hub world in gaming history. MD is the best immersive sim ever made.

Top Bottom