• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2014 - Proper PC gamers buy a Wii U and Bayonetta 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

abracadaver

Has Earth 2140 been in a bundle? It's the only one I'm missing and it's cheap but I wonder if it will eventually be bundled.

there was a bundle just yesterday with all earth games. can't remember where though

edit: I may be wrong. it might have been the 2150 trilogy or something like that

Parsnip

Sweet baby jesus at the Dark Souls achievements. It would be nuts if that's all they did, so they must be working on the rest. Can't contain hype.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
header.jpg

As it's on sale right now for a dollar or a euro right now, I played this a year ago (last October), so some quick impressions.

It's a remade Nintendo DS game, basically the same game but just updated graphics made from the ground up. Its handheld origins do show, especially in enemy reactions to being hit/shot.

However, it's not a bad game. Not great, it's kind of like a poorman's cocktail if you tried mixing Doom x Silent Hill together, but I enjoyed my playtime with it and it does get better as it goes along. Some good music in places (though that fucking 'battle theme' is just... Yar. You'll know what I mean if you play it). Has some good mix-ups in gameplay, ranging from puzzles, to boss battles, to change in scenery and level design, which is applied when it's needed. Game has some fun weapons, but notably you get like, half the weapons in the game during the last third of the game.

For a dollar, I'd recommend it for those who want a bit more of an downtoned action-horror game, I thought it was worth a playthrough. Just kind of expect a pretty okay game with some good moments, and very simple combat.

Also has Steam trading cards.

masterkajo

Haven't finished Dark Souls 2 yet. Still haven't played after
the big spider boss
due to lack of time (just started a new job that is taking up all my precious time now). Hate being a responsible adult. Life was much easier as a little brat.

But with the news of Dark Souls for steamworks I will have to replay Dark Souls again. My most played game ever. Just love it!

MUnited83

For you.
header.jpg

As it's on sale right now for a dollar or a euro right now, I played this a year ago (last October), so some quick impressions.

It's a remade Nintendo DS game, basically the same game but just updated graphics made from the ground up. Its handheld origins do show, especially in enemy reactions to being hit/shot.

However, it's not a bad game. Not great, it's kind of like a poorman's cocktail if you tried mixing Doom x Silent Hill together, but I enjoyed my playtime with it and it does get better as it goes along. Some good music in places (though that fucking 'battle theme' is just... Yar. You'll know what I mean if you play it). Has some good mix-ups in gameplay, ranging from puzzles, to boss battles, to change in scenery and level design, which is applied when it's needed. Game has some fun weapons, but notably you get like, half the weapons in the game during the last third of the game.

For a dollar, I'd recommend it for those who want a bit more of an downtoned action-horror game, I thought it was worth a playthrough. Just kind of expect a pretty okay game with some good moments, and very simple combat.

I enjoyed it quite a bit, but I really wish they ported the first game instead. So much better and actually kinda scary.

dreamfall

I hope those two Obscure titles get at hefty discount- wouldn't mind running through them both to mentally prepare for Halloween. Excited about the sale!

Kaz in MGS1 is simply Liquid Snake, lol.

Portable Ops is garbage and even Kojima doesn't consider it, so no.

Spoiler actually is spoiler!

And I don't know that Port Ops is garbage. It's 1-upped in every way by Peace Walker, and the story isn't canon in the least, but during its time, it was fairly decent. If you're just trying to get up to speed, though, it's straight up skippable.

The Ac!d games are also non-canonical. I still luv em doe.

header.jpg

Thought the image was of a duck at first.

I've played the DS and it was alright at the time. Controls on a handheld were a little bit funky for me.

Turfster

Gamefly started their horror sale,50-75% off games with daily deal changes.
Apparently their copies of F.E.A.R. and VtM:B are GameFly DRM and not Steam keys, though...

xBladeM6x

don't murder my dreams saoirse

you read my mind baby

imma try and play the game in 60 fps this time

ladders be damned

I was fortunate enough to not get into the series until after Durante stopped updating, so I never had glitches, in my whole 200 hours with it. 60 FPS is the only way I know Dark Souls. :D

Dr Dogg

I was panicking for a second there thinking 'What if Namco do a change over before I get my sweet, sweet GFWL chieveos?' but then I realised I bought a retail copy so as long as that horror still exists I'm all good. Still pissed that Arkham Asylum is left with some left to do.

Also Portable Ops recruiting team members meant lugging them on your back very, very slowly. Peach Walker had the Fulton system which was quite fun but V just takes that concept to a whole other level but letting you Fulton pretty much anything!

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I hope those two Obscure titles get at hefty discount- wouldn't mind running through them both to mentally prepare for Halloween. Excited about the sale!

The ObsCure series is good, the spin-off Final Exam is decent co-op fun.

I am super excited for the Halloween Sale. Last years sale had some really good deals on horror games, had the best prices for a variety of horror games that weren't surpassed by the Christmas or last Summer Sale. Also had a few surprise releases, such as Typing of the Dead Overkill, the Alone in the Dark games, and the Saw video game returning to Steam.

zkylon

zkylewd
I was fortunate enough to not get into the series until after Durante stopped updating, so I never had glitches, in my whole 200 hours with it. 60 FPS is the only way I know Dark Souls. :D
oh that's awesome to know

i played a bit of 30 fps dark souls 1 the other day and damn it feels so bad

60 also looks a bit wonky tho, you can tell these animations were made for 30. still better but goes to show it's not as easy as flipping a switch

Dr Dogg

Oh well after clearing some space to install Hard Reset for the SteamGAF Plays Games thread and realising that's going to take 3 bloody hours to download I'm twiddling my thumbs when looking at what I have left installed. I guess I'll just play the Bayonetta 2 demo again.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
how does How To Survive randomly seem to sneak into new releases from time to time? its the second time Ive seen it happen, and it wasnt a early access game.

Maniac

Banned
Good place to take your anger on smaller cars before hitting the glorious Finnish highway with 100% perfect driving :p
Sounds about right... :p

What do you guys use for cable management solutions? I have a glass desk, so I need something to hide all of the cables routing from my computer to my monitor/amp/keyboard/etc.
Yep. From Soft is going to force me to buy a console that will be collecting a good amount of dust next year.
With Square's various JRPG releases likely coming to PC and Metal Gear Solid confirmed for PC, I'm left with Persona 5 and Uncharted 4. The former I am excited for, but I didn't find Last of Us to be the all that great so my excitement for the latter is significantly lower than the GAF average.
Bloodborne is the only reason I'm even interested in consoles at the moment. Still far from convinced, but there is a chance I may get one eventually, heh. And yeah, I know the feeling with cable management. I'll keep an eye on the replies :p
Sadly this work is "maybe tomorrow you will work, maybe not".
Last week I worked two days, this week I'll work two days for sure (one is already gone), then I don't know. And the pay...well, is VERY low, as usually :D
Could be worse. You could have no work at all - Which is the case for me. With the russian bear nearing extinction, I doubt I'll be buying any AAA games pre-megasales, so... LTTP I suppose ;)

Sounds about right... :p

Bloodborne is the only reason I'm even interested in consoles at the moment. Still far from convinced, but there is a chance I may get one eventually, heh.

Bloodborne will probably come to PC soon after it gets released. Unless there's a permanent exclusivity deal announced. I thought Dead Island 2 would be PS4 exclusive until the Steam page popped up.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Bloodborne will probably come to PC soon after it gets released. Unless there's a permanent exclusivity deal announced. I thought Dead Island 2 would be PS4 exclusive until the Steam page popped up.

Bloodborne will come out on PC the same day Zelda does

its published by Sony

Sony has paid for and funded the development of Bloodborne and Shu has gone on record as having regretted not having locked down the Demon's Souls series. It's their IP. I don't see it ever hitting PC, like never-ever-ever and not like Master-Chief-Collection "never."

Turfster

Humble extra life bundle
TIER 1: 1$
  • Potatoman seeks the troof
  • Trove Closed Beta Extra Life Starter Pack
  • Defiance Extra Life Starter Pack
  • Lone Survivor DC
  • Twitch 30 days
  • Reddit gold 30 days
  • Landmark 1 week closed beta
TIER 2: 6$
  • You don't know jack classic
  • King arthur's gold
  • Speedrunners
  • RIFT Extra Life Starter Pack
TIER 3: 13$
  • Nom Nom Galaxy
  • King Arthur's Gold 4 pack

this is all that matters

It's also the only game that I would consider even getting.

It's been cheaper, though, so I get to hold off until the Winter Sale...

Also: holy crap at the Dark Souls achievements. I 100%'d it on the 360, but couldn't bring myself to do it with GFWL. If they fix up some of the crazy GFWL glitches and add VAC, I might be able to 100% it on PC too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom