• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October II 2014 - PC Gaming: Getting a D in Yoga class

Status
Not open for further replies.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
2014-10-21_02-41-22.jpg

I just read about Dark Souls getting steam achievements so the GFWL patch removal must be close.

Valve comments:

"We have removed the game's sales page and ceased relations with the developer after he threatened to kill one of our employees", a Valve spokesperson told Kotaku.

source

Wasn't this the same developer who was also threatening his customers? I remember we had a discussion about him in a previous thread months ago.

Uzzy

Slightly sad that these 4 threads never picked up:

i185Lny7C9aRW.png

i185Lny7C9aRW.png

Games Night was a fantastic idea, what happened to it?

There's still a bit of activity with games night. Chivalry was played a few days ago, and I tried organising some DOTA2 nights recently. I've not seen Phoenix296, the gaffer who started the idea, for ages though.

Jawmuncher

There's still a bit of activity with games night. Chivalry was played a few days ago, and I tried organising some DOTA2 nights recently. I've not seen Phoenix296, the gaffer who started the idea, for ages though.

He moved onto greener pastures.

Miguel81

They've been combined into this one super Steam/PC gaming thread with waifus and other misc. stuff.

FYI, F.E.A.R. on Gamefly is not a Steam Key. I learned that when I purchased Condemned from them(also other DRM).

Vampire Bloodlines I am not so sure about. Is it a Steam Key? If so, I will purchase there.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
He must be referring to Desura, but the Humble store has it as well, that includes a Steam key, which I wonder if it still works?

It'll still work, I believe. Removed games keys will still work if activated. How games removed from Steam are sometimes traded on trading sites.

Dambrosi

Banned
Welp, time for a giveaway.

ModBot said:
Instructions for Dambrosi:
Post moar. And buy Korra.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Dambrosi, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Gunpoint -- MB-59B5BD6C9D9C432C - Taken by user237. 1 entrants total.
Hammerwatch -- MB-E9CC444C43648A79 - Taken by rainking187. 3 entrants total.
Adventures Of Shuggy -- MB-91D0E278C5F881EA - Taken by Mengy. 1 entrants total.
SpaceChem -- MB-DDA1AD0E854C95B7

t1413853351z1.png

rybrad

Wasn't this the same developer who was also threatening his customers? I remember we had a discussion about him in a previous thread months ago.
I am not sure about the threatening but I remember him being a huge asshole. If he did threaten people before then I wouldn't be surprised if that factored into this decision for Valve as well.

Asgaro

Valve comments:

"We have removed the game's sales page and ceased relations with the developer after he threatened to kill one of our employees", a Valve spokesperson told Kotaku.

source

Am I reading this correct?

Is that spokesman referring to GabeN as merely "one of our employees"?

Kill
the messenger.

MattyG

Banned
Is there any way to get a Gaf username change? I'm just now realizing that nobody else has a number at the end of their username. And the only reason I do is because I tried to make an account before with just MattyG, something screwed up with the email confirmation, so I made a new account and just threw 344 on the end there. It's probably a stupid reason, but that damn number bugs me so much!

wow I was just going through my stack of cards in my inventory to sell. Go Go Nippon cards are going for 60c+ each! Hopefully they sell I had 4.

Is there any way to get a Gaf username change? I'm just now realizing that nobody else has a number at the end of their username. And the only reason I do is because I tried to make an account before with just MattyG, something screwed up with the email confirmation, so I made a new account and just threw 344 on the end there.

I believe you can PM a mod and ask if they would be so kind.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I feel sorry for the PA guy. His game wasn't half bad. I actually enjoyed it a lot.

why, oh why, would you feel sorry for him? feel sorry for his partner, sure, but him?

Is there any way to get a Gaf username change? I'm just now realizing that nobody else has a number at the end of their username. And the only reason I do is because I tried to make an account before with just MattyG, something screwed up with the email confirmation, so I made a new account and just threw 344 on the end there.
PM a mod.

Ozium

Am I reading this correct?

Is that spokesman referring to GabeN as merely "one of our employees"?

Kill
the messenger.

everytime Gabe has introduced himself, such as at a keynote speech or a conference, he always says "Hi, my name is Gabe Newell and I work at Valve."

it's part of their corporate culture

Maniac

Banned
Yup. It was - It's the same guy that refused to give Steamcodes to people that'd bought his game through both Groupees and... Uh, I forgot the other bundle. First he stated that he'd never agreed to giving Steamkeys for it once it was released, then he stated that he'd given keys to the distributors of the bundles, and then, only then, did he relent and actually give out said Steam keys, after playing the victim for a long time, he ofcourse pretended that he was a good guy, a knight on a white stallion, giving free Steam keys to the less fortunate, you know, the ones that bought his game with the promise of Steam keys.. :p
He's a narcissistic arsehole with an unending supply of lying and angry twitter tirades.

He's also the indie dev that was recently talked a bit about for assaulting his ex. I believe he put her in the hospital, if I remember correctly.

- - All in all, he's kind of an asshole.

I am not sure about the threatening but I remember him being a huge asshole. If he did threaten people before then I wouldn't be surprised if that factored into this decision for Valve as well.
See the above, heh. But yeah, he's often gone out of his way to be an asshole to customers that had problems, bugs or complaints about some of his shady dealings and feature-cutting and all that jazz. :p

I think it's 30 minutes, and if you keep doing it during that time it increases by 30 minutes.

An hour, ish.

Yep, during that reddit Disney giveaway I got blocked for 30 minutes, then longer.

Yeah, half an hour at first, but if you hit the limit again within 30 minutes of the restriction being lifted, then you're blocked for a full hour.

It's a tough job but somebody's gotta do it. :p

Dang it, will have to sit a while. Thanks for the replies!

Have some horror (and some random stuff) in your day. >:)

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 14 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (WinterDemons, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

White Noise Online -- MB-A676EFD77A7BB05A - Taken by Kurt Russell. 1 entrants total.
Pixel Puzzles: Undeadz -- MB-45E34A0D3AA8E3BF - Taken by rainking187. 7 entrants total.
Blackbay Asylum -- MB-AC61A5B1EFB6157B - Taken by alr1ght. 9 entrants total.
Zombie Solitaire -- MB-695830860B9DCCEE - Taken by Shadownet. 6 entrants total.
The Culling of the Cows -- MB-F9B2215FD485B846 - Taken by Kuroyume. 1 entrants total.
CHIP -- MB-2A152D4EDF3C34DF - Taken by Kifimbo
Necronomicon: The Dawning of Darkness -- MB-423F5EF2623C67D0 - Taken by crazyrabbits. 2 entrants total.
Dracula Trilogy -- MB-A8AE5E45AB9CCA16 - Taken by Diedac. 4 entrants total.
Dracula 4 and 5 Special Steam Edition -- MB-E27D7B42830F819F - Taken by Saty. 5 entrants total.
Splatter Blood Red Edition -- MB-2227E13957236BEC - Taken by topyy. 4 entrants total.
Dead Effect -- MB-E27ABC6202F3147F - Taken by Henry Swanson. 2 entrants total.
Into the Dark: Ultimate Trash Edition -- MB-5EF9337FA184379A - Taken by The Dear Leader. 2 entrants total.
Into the Dark: Ultimate Trash Edition #2 -- MB-3C1A24C985C977C7 - Taken by Sarcasm. 3 entrants total.
Larva Mortus -- MB-7D9F34FFA1C7A8CD - Taken by Dusk Golem. 2 entrants total.

t1413863670z1.png

This might seem like a bit of a detour, but it's something I've been dealing with for the past couple weeks, so I figured that SteamGAF might have some ideas.

What does SteamGAF use for HDD backups?

Previously, I used Norton Ghost, which worked pretty well until Symantec stopped supporting it. Recently I tried Acronis True Image 2015 (which was a disaster that I do not recommend), and then settled on Comodo Backup (which I'm looking to get away from since it's slow and creates large files).

Essentially I'm just looking for a good imaging program that can handle full + incremental backups, with decent speed and decent file sizes. I recently came across Time Machine that seems pretty alright, so I'll probably try that next if no one knows of anything better.

Any advice?

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Deadlight -- MB-BB8C6837B2D34DE9 - Taken by Hero Prinny. 2 entrants total.

t1413863970z1.png

louiedog

Source of income down the drain. Along with his reputation and the reputation of his coworkers. And all that over a clerical error. What a moron.

smh biggest facepalm of the year.

Did you see Indie Game: The Movie?

Something similar happened with Super Meat Boy where it didn't show up in the promo slot (not just an incorrect label) for hours and at least half of Team Meat was freaking out. Amazingly, with a little luck, he was able to keep himself from threatening to kill anyone at Microsoft and the game did quite well even without those few hours of promotion.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I should add / download Shadow Warrior to my extralife list, been wanting to play that for awhile

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Props to Lomax for being awesome!

Yup. It was - It's the same guy that refused to give Steamcodes to people that'd bought his game through both Groupees and... Uh, I forgot the other bundle. First he stated that he'd never agreed to giving Steamkeys for it once it was released, then he stated that he'd given keys to the distributors of the bundles, and then, only then, did he relent and actually give out said Steam keys, after playing the victim for a long time, he ofcourse pretended that he was a good guy, a knight on a white stallion, giving free Steam keys to the less fortunate, you know, the ones that bought his game with the promise of Steam keys.. :p
He's a narcissistic arsehole with an unending supply of lying and angry twitter tirades.

He's also the indie dev that was recently talked a bit about for assaulting his ex. I believe he put her in the hospital, if I remember correctly.

- - All in all, he's kind of an asshole.

See the above, heh. But yeah, he's often gone out of his way to be an asshole to customers that had problems, bugs or complaints about some of his shady dealings and feature-cutting and all that jazz. :p

Humble Weekly: Roguelike Bundle

Maniac

Banned
Soooo... Any excellent folks here whom would like a busty* scandinavian beauty such as myself in their Steam friendslist? If so, do shout in a PM or a reply!

Saggy mantits

rybrad

That part about his girlfriend for real? That is SERIOUSLY fucked up if so.

That's a real shame his partner/dev team are now out of income from the game because of his big mouth. I thought it was just him who made the game.
If I recall correctly (which I may not as I try to avoid most things "drama" related), his partner was a huge asshole too. Two peas in a pod it seems.

Oneironaut

Neo Member
Looks like it will be time to have another go at Dark Souls soon. The first time I played it I ended up getting distracted and moving on to something else, and the second time I ran into a bunch of bugs.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Soooo... Any excellent folks here whom would like a busty* scandinavian beauty such as myself in their Steam friendslist? If so, do shout in a PM or a reply!

Saggy mantits

The scientific term is actually Moobs. ;) Have to lift bro, be like m..*looks down* oh. never mind.

PM me a link to your Steam Profile.

Jawmuncher

I should add / download Shadow Warrior to my extralife list, been wanting to play that for awhile

You need to get to playing before you download yourself out.

Saggy mantits

Dean-eyebrows.gif

Thanks for the FR.
If anyone else wants to my steam page is on my Neogaf profile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom