• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October II 2014 - PC Gaming: Getting a D in Yoga class

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phinor

Twitter is the worst thing to ever happen to humanity.
It's basically the antithesis to "Think before you act"

I kind of like how public it is. All your mistakes are instantly visible to everyone. You will either adapt and learn, or ruin your career/life/whatever. It's harsh but some people won't learn otherwise.

I'd prefer 7 pages of 'dat new thread smell' to laughing at an unstable guy and picking apart everything he does.

Personally, I'm not laughing at him. He may have a legitimate problem.

To me, it's like watching a train derail. Yes, it's horrible, but it's pretty hard to stop watching.

So seeing as Beyond Earth is out on Friday and I've been keeping away from most info so i could sort of dive in fresh. But out of a sense of curriosity I thought I'd have a look and see if anything has changed from the familsr firmula. Apparantly a lot. Tech webs, virtues, health and energy as well as a different starting set up for your first city is just the tip of the iceberg.

The harmony/supremacy/purity split alone is a gamechanger, but everything else should make it able to stand on its own, as a separate Civilization franchise. The most intruiging thing to me is the "quest history" stuff that they've mentioned a few times, where the unique history of the planet will be revealed. (Unless that's changed.)

For anyone curious about CivBE, The Giant Bomb Unfinished video of CivBE gives an idea of early-turn gameplay.

Jadax

I have nothing against him, or his game (even though it's terrible). My issue is with the fact that he was in a position where he was doing what he enjoyed for a living, and earning money. A small problem comes along and he throws a spoilt-child tantrum.

How can someone be so ungrateful?

Tesseract

Banned
deserves a re-post because it's so awesome

i'd like highlight a game in the same vein as paranautical activity,

tower of guns

jtw6J65RTmCpU.jpg

Tower of Guns is a fast paced first-person-shooter for the twitch gamer... with a few randomized elements to keep it fresh with each playthrough. It's a short burst "Lunch Break FPS"... not unlike Binding of Isaac mixed with Doom 2. Tower of Guns was made by a guy named Joe (with his brother Mike composing the music).

it's rad, you should play it !

I kind of like how public it is. All your mistakes are instantly visible to everyone. You will either adapt and learn, or ruin your career/life/whatever. It's harsh but some people won't learn otherwise.
And then there are others who won't learn at all who have thus ruined their careers/lives. I feel for them. They shouldn't have to go through this shit yet they see everyone else on Twitter and think, "I need to make this work!" when they really don't.

It's why I've avoided Twitter like hell. I know I'd fuck up and that'd be it. Someone would grab one Tweet I made and lord it over me for the rest of my life.

Annubis

For the new thread:

Shan Gui 50% off

Join me in Shangui la

I have no idea if the game is any good, but it's a VN on Steam

Uzzy

For the new thread:

Shan Gui 50% off

Join me in Shangui la

Do you enjoy a 45 minute long, kinetic story that's really rather sweet, full of nice art, music and voice overs? If so, then you'll enjoy Shan Gui.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
So I'm thinking of doing that extra life thing, not sure how with my work schedule or the fact that I'm an old fuck and probably can't play games for 24hrs, but it's something I would like to do. I know that Shack is doing it also, also on Saturday (pretty much the only day I can do it) is there a neogaf group doing it that we can pool whatever donations we get, like a unified link (not that I expect a lot of donations, what with all of 2 people probably tuning in lol, but still)

iosefe

There are clear differences, though. On one hand, a guy with some often awful looking voxel stuff relying on his costumers for the sound effects, music and loading screens for his game, whereas the other created a very cute game with a fez-wearing protagonist with some actual, stand-out mechanics and nice environments. :p

very true. i like Fez. but i know next to nothing of PA. for example, i was unaware of it's development

Maniac

Banned
So I'm thinking of doing that extra life thing, not sure how with my work schedule or the fact that I'm an old fuck and probably can't play games for 24hrs, but it's something I would like to do. I know that Shack is doing it also, also on Saturday (pretty much the only day I can do it) is there a neogaf group doing it that we can pool whatever donations we get, like a unified link (not that I expect a lot of donations, what with all of 2 people probably tuning in lol, but still)
I'd tune in to watch you play, you sexy beast.

Seriously, watching you play Alien was hilarious, daft, mind-numbing and a pleasure, all at the same damn time! I can't say that I've any intention of doing it myself this year, although I'd love to join in for the actual gaming aspect, if people are playing multiplayer. Otherwise I'll just tune in for the fun and throw some bucks yer way. Pretty sure I'll donate some to Shacks at the very least. :p
very true. i like Fez. but i know next to nothing of PA. for example, i was unaware of it's development
Well, that makes sense. The game is utterly and truely unremarkable. I cannot think of a single unique thing about it. Heck, he even implemented the ghost from Spelunky. This is the first changelog mention of it "added a ghost that shows up and wrecks your shit if you stay on a level too long" - He's also simply called it "the spelunky ghost" several times before and after. Damned unique, eh? :p

I really can't think of anything this game does better than other similar games out there, though. And that's a shame. It's also kind of ugly. :p

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

Ozium

Baerock Obaerma ‏@BaerTaffy 39m39 minutes ago
@SpooderW sorry about everything man. :/ Switched my buy link over to the humble link in the meantime. Hope it helps.

youtubers...

lol

For the new thread:

Shan Gui 50% off

Join me in Shangui la

Was quite nice for the 30-45 minutes you get. Nice art, nice music and nice VAs. Its over too soon and the translation isnt really good though.

Maniac

Banned
I'm more excited for this than I probably should be. Hope they get it patched out soon.
Cheeves, man. Steamworks, man. SteamCloud.. Hopefully, man. Uuuh... Steamworks P2P for the PvP & PvE, man, maybe? Uuuh... Good things, you know. Excite. Hype. AINT NUTTIN GUN STOP THIS TRAIN
Baerock Obaerma ‏@BaerTaffy 39m39 minutes ago
@SpooderW sorry about everything man. :/ Switched my buy link over to the humble link in the meantime. Hope it helps.

youtubers...

lol
Aww yis, youtubers, keep bending over. Aww yis, take it. Yiss.

It's funny how some youtubers are outright willing to lick developers' balls for a penny. :p

This Dark Souls update cannot come soon enough. I wonder if it will coincide with a sale, and thus be on Tuesday or Thursday?

Maybe in the GFWL-less runthrough I'll finally manage to use a weapon other than a club (which automatically makes the Deprived the Best Class™.)

This is what Serenity would look like if she were a boat.

Annubis

Was quite nice for the 30-45 minutes you get. Nice art, nice music and nice VAs. Its over too soon and the translation isnt really good though.

The news of the game says that there will be a new English translation 'soon' (like more than a month).
That's why I'll wait until that to play it.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I'd tune in to watch you play, you sexy beast.

Seriously, watching you play Alien was hilarious, daft, mind-numbing and a pleasure, all at the same damn time! I can't say that I've any intention of doing it myself this year, although I'd love to join in for the actual gaming aspect, if people are playing multiplayer. Otherwise I'll just tune in for the fun and throw some bucks yer way. Pretty sure I'll donate some to Shacks at the very least. :p

between "new rig testing" and thinking about extra life, I downloaded a lot of games recently. Im at work so cant check the whole list, but off the top of my head:

Dishonored DLCs
Saints Row 4 DLCs
Dark Souls 2 DLCs
Shadow of Mordor (which I want to play bad)
Ryse
Alien Isolation
Outlast
Dead Rising 3
Transistor
Crypt of the Necrodancer
Metro 2033 Redux
Metro Last Light
Call of Duty Ghosts
Divinity Original Sin
Batman Arkham Origins
Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm 3
The Bureau X-COM Declassified
X-COM Enemy Within
Final Fantasy XIII
and more stuff im probably forgeting

Lords of the Fallen isnt out until next week and Ive finished Evil Within and im about to finish Styx so those would probably be out. I could probably get 24 hours out of all this stuff, some of which Ive been wanting to try like all the DLC stuff (assuming my saves still work) or Mordor. And im not opposed to buy something specifically to stream if needed, like Korra or something.

Edit: I need to download Hatoful Boyfriend too :p

Dr Dogg

NOG4WL sounds like some activist hashtag.

The harmony/supremacy/purity split alone is a gamechanger, but everything else should make it able to stand on its own, as a separate Civilization franchise. The most intruiging thing to me is the "quest history" stuff that they've mentioned a few times, where the unique history of the planet will be revealed. (Unless that's changed.)

For anyone curious about CivBE, The Giant Bomb Unfinished video of CivBE gives an idea of early-turn gameplay.

I've just been reading the PC Gamer previews and it sounds like the basis of Civ with a bit of Alpha Centuri mixed in but a lot of it is it's own game. The whole set up seems quite familiar and while some win conditions are similar like Domination, the 3 tied to the new affinities sound different (well they are a little vauge on what the conditions and what the final goal for each is). Quests do sound like they're a big part of the affinity victory conditions too and they sound a lot more organic than the usual path you'd plot to normal Civ win conditions like a Space or Peace victory.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
The Paranautical Activity dev has been a shining example of everything bad a developer can be since way back when he was putting his alpha game in a Groupees bundle. At least with his access pulled he can't cancel unredeemed keys, I never used mine because I didn't want the taint of him on my account...

Will buy for a TF2 key. (I want the +1)

That's it? I thought it was the wrong image or something.
That is one crap looking image =/

The dev seems to have anger issues.

The_Monk

Commence party:

It's one of the rare games I still have it installed after finishing. Can't wait to play a little more when the patch arrives just for curiosity and warm feelings with some nostalgia (and coffee).

between "new rig testing" and thinking about extra life, I downloaded a lot of games recently. Im at work so cant check the whole list, but off the top of my head:

I need to see you streaming live. It would be fun if you could stream with English commentary but also mix a bit that foreign language of yours people thinks it's French or something.
:p

Lomax

If this was the first incident with the Paranautical Activity dev that would be one thing, but this is seriously the fourth or fifth time he's been an unreasonably insane asshole. He went off on people in Groupees chat and on Desura for questioning his "design decisions," he tried to get out of giving bundle buyers keys, he cancelled development on the game and then restarted it, he cancelled features and then yelled at people for questioning it, and there are several others I can't remember right off. He just has a chronic history of being unreasonable. And as others have mentioned, quite frankly, the game just isn't very good, especially compared to others in the genre. At least Phil Fish can claim the "eccentric auteur" title, this guy definitely can't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom