• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September II 2014 - Ride the Lightning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sini

its a game feature not a bug. I havent even played the game and I know this, the captains come back when you defeat them and say shit like "should have made sure I was dead" and even have scars, bandages or metal plates in their bodies from your previous battle.

Its the kind of uninformed shit that you would see in a IGN review for example. I just find RPS completely overrated as a website and often wonder why steamgaf praises them like they are the second coming. This is just another example

People praise RPS because they have courage ask questions that actually matter from publishers and developers.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
this Dex game looks great, never heard of it

also whats up with Tera, is it actually finally suposed to be out on steam or what? no Play button but its showing both in new releases and in the revolving window for me

Amzin

no, it was more a thing my little brother watched. I felt too old for it back then, and i'm in my early 30s now so yeah.

I'm 30 and both Avatar and Korra are in my top 10 favorite shows :p They are kid-friendly but possibly my favorite fictional world and tons of good characters and dialogue. Not every episode is a gem but yea

Shadownet

Banned
I just got Sleeping Dogs DE for $8.99 from a Russian. That is with his fee on top. It is however Not Available To Redeem For People From: Germany.

Wasn't there some DLC for Sleeping Dogs that was kinda game-breaking and was recommended you disable if playing? Can you still do that with the definitive edition or is it integrated in?

Or, y'know, you could just... NOT PICK UP THE CASH DROPS. OMG, The temptation... I found a bag of money somewhere that was a DLC bonus item... I don't want to pick it up... but I can't help myself. :p

I like Platinum but I've never seen/have no interest in Avatar.

Hopefully it's still fun for non fans.

It should be.
Do you like kung fu?
Do you like the idea of kung fu styles based around using elements (earth, wind, fire, air)?
Do you want to whup some ass with stylish combat in the vein of other Platinum action titles like Bayonetta and MGR:R?

Then I think you should have fun for $15.
I always wanted to get into Avatar (and didn't even know Korra was a thing until recently) but never got sucked in enough to just sit down and watch it all. And yet, the parts I did see? Ridiculously cool and it makes sense for this type of game to be put out. With platinum doing the development work, it should be fun for anyone, unless for some reason you just hate the art style or general premise.

Most of the DLC was like that =p

Most of the DLC was cosemetic. I wouldn't call that game breaking.

ii55VfHnPC1Um.gif

I think you meant one of the best. Keller was hilarious and badass. He actually had charm and soul.

Nope.
I didn't like Heller. He's just generic angry that all this shit happened to him guy #1923 and his visual design wasn't to my liking either.

However, I will say that the last boss fight? That was almost worth playing the entire game as Heller. :lol

Any of the Borderlands 2 DLC worth it?

Just got the Vanilla game last weekend but havent touched it.

Nope. DLC isn't worth it. Everyone hates it. Nobody recommends it. Stay away.

I guess its ok since RPS tho

I dont like RPS and I think their "uber status" just because they are a PC only site is ridiculous

RPS, much like GB, is something I just don't get.

Anarchy Reigns was ok and Madworld was all substance, too. They don't have a perfect track record, but when they're good they're the best.

Reigns was a multiplayer game and Mad World was on the Wii. If we nix those and look at the rest of their output, they have a pretty much flawless track record, even if the games don't sell millions and millions. This game *SHOULD* be good.

Do I need to have seen the show to enjoy the game though?

No, but you'd probably enjoy the game more if you were a fan.
Or, maybe you like the stuff in the game so much you decide to go check out the show(s).

Probably already been posted, but looks like Shadow of Mordor has been RU region locked now. Gutted, I was about to buy it. I knew I should have purchased it before.

Welcome to the land of region locking.
Hopefully you've learned the important lesson: if you're interested, buy it while it's not locked.

it's a license game based on a children's property, so probably.

quick cashgrab by platinum (can't blame em)

Cashgrab? I doubt it.
And calling it a "children's show"? Wow.
Based on the impressions Maximillian posted, it sounds like it's using the MGR:R engine to some extent.
I don't think they took the paycheck and just phoned it in.

But if it is a cashgrab for a licensed IP of a "children's show", I can't wait for the other games from Platinum down the line. Something with Barney or the Teletubbies or even Dora the Explorer will be so awesome it'll make our eyes bleed.

BruteUA

Its the kind of uninformed shit that you would see in a IGN review for example. I just find RPS completely overrated as a website and often wonder why steamgaf praises them like they are the second coming. This is just another example

Who are we to question the hivemind?

Answer:
A couple of old farts who can see the real world for what it really is.

Tenrius

I just find RPS completely overrated as a website and often wonder why steamgaf praises them like they are the second coming. This is just another example

Well, I don't exactly praise RPS like they are the second coming, and I do agree that this is a big mistake on their part, but I do like that website and the reason for that is their writing being pretty good most of the time. Now I don't read their stuff on a regular basis, but I recently stumbled upon this and thought it was well-written, creative and entertaining. This is what I want from the gaming press these days, really (outside of plain news reporting): someone's personal accounts conveyed by way of brilliant (ideally) writing, with entertainment (and not informing) set as primary purpose. To answer your question, I think that RPS more or less succeeds in doing that and that's why I like it.

That said, fact checking is still a must and a correction is probably in order.

derExperte

Or, y'know, you could just... NOT PICK UP THE CASH DROPS. OMG, The temptation... I found a bag of money somewhere that was a DLC bonus item... I don't want to pick it up... but I can't help myself. :p

I don't think you could avoid all the bonus stuff, XP was just added no matter what and some money too. These days DLC can be deactivated though and the game was supereasy anyway.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
"Also, there’s a really disappointing factor: fallen captains seem to come back to life. I’m not sure whether it’s a bug, or whether their boasts of a kerbillion unique enemies were a touch hollow, but it’s bitterly disappointing to see a captain you’d particularly enjoyed finishing suddenly strolling up again. Sure, you come back to life each time, but it does rather shatter the point if they do. Hopefully this is something that’ll be patched out soon."

if this was a paragraph from a IGN review, they would be getting fucking obliterated right now. "LOL IGN doesnt even know the basics" "did you even play the game? thats intended!"

I guess its ok since RPS tho

I dont like RPS and I think their "uber status" just because they are a PC only site is ridiculous
Fallout New Vegas review part 2 basically. RPS stayin' a joke.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

also whats up with Tera, is it actually finally suposed to be out on steam or what? no Play button but its showing both in new releases and in the revolving window for me

Tera was on Steam initially but was later yanked when it went F2P in early 2013. There are no new subs for the game so I'm guessing its sudden appearance is some sort of mistake.

The IndieRoyale Mystery Bundle is live.

• The Sun At Night
  • Hero of the Kingdom
  • ???
  • ???
  • ???
  • ???
  • ???
  • ???
  • ???
  • ???

Edit: Man their site just keeps getting uglier.

I bit for $0.99. Mostly for The Sun At Night; I watched the Giant Bomb Quick Look a while back, and while it looked like it had some issues, it still seems like an interesting enough idea (Cyber-dog fighting world-dominating Soviet forces). Even if the other 8 games turn out to be hot garbage, I'll still be satisfied at that price.

Tenrius

Reminds me of the original Flashback, particularly the part where you had to find a job and wander around this underground city (almost) without enemy encounters. It was really neat and I wished there had been an RPG in the same vein, someone probably had the same thought.

Ozium

It should be.
Do you like kung fu?
Do you like the idea of kung fu styles based around using elements (earth, wind, fire, air)?
Do you want to whup some ass with stylish combat in the vein of other Platinum action titles like Bayonetta and MGR:R?

Then I think you should have fun for $15.

Cashgrab? I doubt it.
And calling it a "children's show"? Wow.
Based on the impressions Maximillian posted, it sounds like it's using the MGR:R engine to some extent.
I don't think they took the paycheck and just phoned it in.

But if it is a cashgrab for a licensed IP of a "children's show", I can't wait for the other games from Platinum down the line. Something with Barney or the Teletubbies or even Dora the Explorer will be so awesome it'll make our eyes bleed.

1. you've played this game apparently? and it's up there with bayo and revengeance.. OK
2. Nickelodeon isn't a children's programming station?
3. u mad, bruh

edit: I'm sure they put in as much time, effort and production into this $15 download only title that they did to full disc releases like Bayo and MGR... LOL ok

Deitus

Tera was on Steam initially but was later yanked when it went F2P in early 2013. There are no new subs for the game so I'm guessing its sudden appearance is some sort of mistake.

I think the discoverability update just doesn't do a good job of filtering out games that aren't available. I had it recommend The Stomping Land to me for instance.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
It's a licensed game.

"But the dev is great"

Yes, but genius doesn't magically make a great game. They need time, budget, and support to do that. It's a licensed game. Look at a company like WayForward which makes both very bad licensed games and pretty decent original games. It's not because they magically forget how to make a game when they're handed a license, it's because they work under constraint. Licensed games aren't bad because they're made by failures, they're bad because they don't get the resources they need.

Maybe it'll turn out good, maybe not, but I can't think of a riskier bet than a day-one purchase of a downloadable licensed game published by Activision.

I think the discoverability update just doesn't do a good job of filtering out games that aren't available. I had it recommend The Stomping Land to me for instance.

The Stomping Land is available apparently not

Goddamn, Wasteland 2 is pretty amazing. If only it didn't run like shit on my current rig. I can hold 30fps most of the time but every now and then there's some deep dips.

Zeliard

its a game feature not a bug. I havent even played the game and I know this, the captains come back when you defeat them and say shit like "should have made sure I was dead" and even have scars, bandages or metal plates in their bodies from your previous battle.

To be fair, that isn't communicated very well, so the confusion is understandable. The game even tells you they've been "killed."

It's a licensed game.

"But the dev is great"

Yes, but genius doesn't magically make a great game. They need time, budget, and support to do that. It's a licensed game. Look at a company like WayForward which makes both very bad licensed games and pretty decent original games. It's not because they magically forget how to make a game when they're handed a license, it's because they work under constraint. Licensed games aren't bad because they're made by failures, they're bad because they don't get the resources they need.

Maybe it'll turn out good, maybe not, but I can't think of a riskier bet than a day-one purchase of a downloadable licensed game published by Activision.

The Stomping Land is available apparently not

cheers_leonardo_dicaprio.gif

JaseC

Yeah, but that wouldn't explain why it showed up in the Popular New Releases tab as it isn't recommendation-based.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF

well ... knowing them - they might just pull it from the store a week after the release ;)

I just got Sleeping Dogs DE for $8.99 from a Russian. That is with his fee on top. It is however Not Available To Redeem For People From: Germany.
;(
I am used to getting shafted all the time... censoring up the wazoo... regional high prices... no swastikas...
But SD looks real fun. Too bad it seems I won't be getting it.

The Season Pass, which contains the 4 major expansions, the Mechromancer and Bandit classes are all worth buying if you're digging Borderlands 2. The cosmetics and challenge packs (just fighting waves of enemies) aren't really worth buying unless they're on sale.

I'd suggest just trying the base game first though before buying anything. And then i'd wait for a sale to get the worthwhile DC on the cheap during a sale. There's more than enough content in the base game to keep you busy for a while. I put about 300 hours into Borderlands before the first DLC, Captain Scarlet, came out. Had a character in every class and had played through True Vault Hunter Mode with most.

So I have been wondering, there are games that are banned in my country and I can't access them on Steam, my question is if I bought banned games keys can I use those keys on Steam?
btw; those games are Watch_Dogs and GTA games.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
As much as I love Sleepy Dawgs the definite edition isn't enticing for me. 50% off is cool but I already did 100% of everything in the campaign + dlc, plus the game already looked fantastic with the HD texture pack.

My question was more if the definitive edition lets you disable any DLC you don't want or if all the DLC is integrated into the game proper and the DLC tab doesn't even show any DLC. Because if it does list out all the DLC, then it seems like you're just buying another copy of the initial game.

This is the complete list to get everything but skin related content:
  • Borderlands 2 GOTY
  • Ultimate Vault Hunter Upgrade Pack 2
  • Headhunter 1: Bloody Harvest
  • Headhunter 2: Wattle Gobbler
  • Headhunter 3: Mercenary Day
  • Headhunter 4: Wedding Day Massacre
  • Headhunter 5: Son of Crawmerax
If you didn't get the GOTY version then see the list below for all non-skin related content:

• Borderlands 2
  • Season Pass
  • The Mechromaner Character Pack
  • The Psycho Character Pack
  • The Creature Slaughterdome
  • Collector’s Edition Pack

My question was more if the definitive edition lets you disable any DLC you don't want or if all the DLC is integrated into the game proper and the DLC tab doesn't even show any DLC. Because if it does list out all the DLC, then it seems like you're just buying another copy of the initial game.

I get that. :D

I was just using it to make fun of the people who needed some of the DLC packs disabled or whatever instead of just, y'know, not choosing to pick up the assets. It makes me laugh because I left them enabled, the game is still fun, and I've only found like 1-2 of the 20 or so money drops and I still have nothing to spend it on.
The bonus XP was kind of good, for me at least, because it helped me get a few options opened up in combat so that I have more variety sooner... I think it ended up being like 1 extra ability or something... I still remember thinking "I need to get more XP and fast, because there's more abilities I need to have now and I only have enough for one of them.".

7mjTzW0.png

well I guess the sun at night was kinda underwhelming

You take that back. Real dogs were sent to space and died for your 1,000th game. >_<

This is the complete list to get everything but skin related content:
  • Borderlands 2 GOTY
BL2 GOTY does not have all DLC? Huh. I should have checked before buying, hah.

BL2 GOTY does not have all DLC? Huh. I should have checked before buying, hah.

Yeah it sucks. It's just another $6.65 to get all the other DLCs while on sale but lame they haven't come out with a new bundle for it.

Granted the sheer amount of content for those 6 extra DLCs is pretty mind blowing... especially at the sale price.

JaseC

I realised today that the retail copy of Crasher I bought over a month ago never arrived (it was sent via expedited delivery and had an estimated arrival date of about three weeks ago). I've contacted the seller (eBay told me that I need to open a dispute by the 9th), so we'll see what happens.

Jadax

was Endless Legend the ign free game? And how trustworthy are key trades via steam? Someone is offering the game for 2k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom