• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September II 2014 - Ride the Lightning

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
he said Portal 2 was "the last traditional Single Player game from Valve" and that even had its own co-op mode. if Portal 2 is a "traditional single player game" then what is a non-traditional single player game and how does it compare to co-op and/or multiplayer?

It would be one that mixes both into one.

He said that it would probably be Valve's last traditional SP experience. What that means exactly isn't overly clear, not to mention the statement wasn't definitive -- if Valve can't tie a social element into HL3's campaign in a way that makes sense then I doubt it'd just go ahead with the idea anyway.

HL3 could have co-op sections and they wouldn't feel out of place, seeing as from the final parts of HL2 you're almost always accompanied by someone. Esp the episodes.

But a persistent online open world based on stats, quests and such? No no no no. That's not HL, that's butchery. Surely Valve have more self-respect and dignity than that.

Dr Dogg

Silly question I'm sure but in the meantime would these work on my Mac?

I'll leave the peripheral preference choice debates alone (I tend to stay clear of anything labeled 'gaming' unless I know who made it and have assurances about it's quality) but I've never once had an issue sticking a keyboard or mouse into a Mac. That goes from old PS/2 keyboards with USB adapters, Windows specific keyboards with keys designed for that OS, PlayStation 2 controller adapters, mice of all brands and makes. Things just work most of the time. Only peripheral that took a bit of setting up was Xinput controllers like a 360 pad but there's wrappers out there for that anyway. Most of the time it's even less set up than Windows which loves to go off fetching drivers most of the time I plug a new device in.

Only problem with keyboards I'd really say is working out that the Command and Option keys are usually swapped around, some lack the Function key to modify the F keys to the OS X shortcuts and the volume and eject keys are more often than not missing so if you have an iMac you have to do a bit more clicking you get access to those. But no biggie for me.

MadGear

Hey guys couple of (hopefully) quick questions.

I'm looking to upgrade my pc next year but I'm going to buy some of the more peripheral stuff just now (if this is a terrible idea just tell me to stop now)

Would these be good choices for a gaming keyboard, mouse and mat?

Corsair Vengeance k70
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00JIVZUDY/

Logitech g502 proteus core
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00IGS9LU8/

Steel Series QcK pad
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000UEZ36W/

Silly question I'm sure but in the meantime would these work on my Mac? And are cherry brown switches acceptable as a general all around mechanical switch?

Don't know about the k70 but the G502 is a good mouse in terms of sensor performance and build quality. One downside of the mouse is its scroll wheel which lacks a rubberized surface. This was in issue to me because I use the middle mouse button to control the camera in Dota 2 and would have loved a less slippery surface. The mouse is also somewhat heavy when compared to other mice even without the optional weights, but this is entirely up to preference. Overall a great mouse though.

The QcK is fine, I'm using the QcK+ pads myself for years now. There are cloth pads with lower friction but for me personally the amount of friction with these pads is just right (probably because I'm used to it :D).

Nabs

Hey guys couple of (hopefully) quick questions.

I'm looking to upgrade my pc next year but I'm going to buy some of the more peripheral stuff just now (if this is a terrible idea just tell me to stop now)

Would these be good choices for a gaming keyboard, mouse and mat?

Silly question I'm sure but in the meantime would these work on my Mac? And are cherry brown switches acceptable as a general all around mechanical switch?

I've never been into buying gaming M/KBs (I stick with the mx518/G400 line of mice), but the QcK is solid and inexpensive.

Making a Half-Life game which isn't a carefully stage managed solo experience would be antithetical to the nature of the series, so if they do end up making it connected it would need to be something unique. They couldn't even do stuff like Dark Souls messages and ghosts without pissing all over the universe they've created, where Gordon is The One Free Man godking saviour of all living creatures.

Arthea

Just watched the video, and the game definitely looks like it has potential where it counts. I really do hope the current models are placeholders, though. If they can keep that gameplay and bring the characters up to the level of, say, Mitsurugi Kamui Hikae, it'd be perfect.

If they can get it to look like MKH, that would be wonderful indeed. I actually like how enemies look, but Alice herself and environments need some work. Still a game is more than a year away, many things will be changed most likely, if it gets released at all being a kickstarter game, that is. Also it seems only two people are working on it, ambitious project for just two.

AHA-Lambda

Hmm, going to potentially open a hornets nest here but any thoughts on the razer deathadder mouse?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00ABS62C6/

I'll leave the peripheral preference choice debates alone (I tend to stay clear of anything labeled 'gaming' unless I know who made it and have assurances about it's quality) but I've never once had an issue sticking a keyboard or mouse into a Mac. That goes from old PS/2 keyboards with USB adapters, Windows specific keyboards with keys designed for that OS, PlayStation 2 controller adapters, mice of all brands and makes. Things just work most of the time. Only peripheral that took a bit of setting up was Xinput controllers like a 360 pad but there's wrappers out there for that anyway. Most of the time it's even less set up than Windows which loves to go off fetching drivers most of the time I plug a new device in.

Only problem with keyboards I'd really say is working out that the Command and Option keys are usually swapped around, some lack the Function key to modify the F keys to the OS X shortcuts and the volume and eject keys are more often than not missing so if you have an iMac you have to do a bit more clicking you get access to those. But no biggie for me.

Don't know about the k70 but the G502 is a good mouse in terms of sensor performance and build quality. One downside of the mouse is its scroll wheel which lacks a rubberized surface. This was in issue to me because I use the middle mouse button to control the camera in Dota 2 and would have loved a less slippery surface. The mouse is also somewhat heavy when compared to other mice even without the optional weights, but this is entirely up to preference. Overall a great mouse though.

The QcK is fine, I'm using the QcK+ pads myself for years now. There are cloth pads with lower friction but for me personally the amount of friction with these pads is just right (probably because I'm used to it :D).

I've never been into buying gaming M/KBs (I stick with the mx518/G400 line of mice), but the QcK is solid and inexpensive.

Thanks guys, useful info :)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
honestly if valve were to announce new games they would just announce it on the main store page or at steam dev days

SDD is for devs, but Valve hasn't announced a game at an event since L4D2 in 2009, so I agree that a game announcement would be low-key:

Portal 2: Announced on Steam coincident with a cover story in Game Informer's then-latest issue (following an ARG)
Dota 2: Announced on Steam coincident with a feature article on Gameinformer.com
CS:GO: Announced on Steam

kudoboi

SDD is for devs, but Valve hasn't announced a game at an event since L4D2 in 2009, so I agree that a game announcement would be low-key:

Portal 2: Announced on Steam coincident with a cover story in Game Informer's then-latest issue (following an ARG)
Dota 2: Announced on Steam coincident with a feature article on Gameinformer.com
CS:GO: Announced on Steam

so a high chance that the upcoming valve games would either just be announced on steam store or together with game informer then

Ozium

He said that it would probably be Valve's last traditional SP experience. What that means exactly isn't overly clear, not to mention the statement wasn't definitive -- if Valve can't tie a social element into HL3's campaign in a way that makes sense then I doubt it'd just go ahead with the idea anyway.

When thinking about what Gabe and Valve will do you must not use real logic.. you must use Valve Logic. The same logic that says "hey let's make the steambox to appeal to console gamers and make it easier to use for the masses" and then show off 8 different boxes all with varying degrees of hardware specs...

Making a Half-Life game which isn't a carefully stage managed solo experience would be antithetical to the nature of the series, so if they do end up making it connected it would need to be something unique. They couldn't even do stuff like Dark Souls messages and ghosts without pissing all over the universe they've created, where Gordon is The One Free Man godking saviour of all living creatures.

the combine populated earth with gordon freeman clones and you gotta find out which one is the real one

twist: it was you all along

Dr Dogg

Hmm, going to potentially open a hornets nest here but any thoughts on the razer deathadder mouse?

Sure

Though a lot of people get on with them and the shape is very popular. Personally I'd look towards a Logitech G400 (I think they only make the G400s now) which is really the successor to the MX518 which has a fabulous reputation (I've got a lot of use out of them), a similar shape to the Death Adder and Logitech have some of the best customer services for any electronics company (well here in the UK and Europe anyway).

My personal recomendation of what I've been using recently is the Steelseries Sensei which comes in different flavors.End of the day though you're the one who's going to be using it so I'd say pop down to PC World, avoid being pounced on by over exuberant sales staff and see what mouse you like the ergonomics of.

Milamber

If you were planning on getting a Deathadder then there are a lot of better ones from the Logitech series that have the same features and greater reliability. But if you plan to do a lot of gaming, may I suggest a Razer Naga mouse with programmable macros? You can set shortcuts for every game and software on this instead of using the keyboard or mouse dragging.

Miguel81

Half-Life is one big adventure that you play through for the atmosphere, action, story and puzzles. Multi might affect that and then I'll proceed to stomp my feet and yell at the clouds.
/s

neorej

ERMYGERD!

Thanks guys, useful info :)

just chiming in; I got a Deathadder, because my old mouse broke down, and all the regular mice at the local computerstore were cheap brands, feeling like they could break within weeks after purchase. I'm quite happy with it, although I must admit I only use mice for work and strategy gaming. But it's easy on the hand, resonsive as all hell and sturdy (god knows I've spammed that LMB to death in Dawn of War 2).

Arthea

Sure

Though a lot of people get on with them and the shape is very popular. Personally I'd look towards a Logitech G400 (I think they only make the G400s now) which is really the successor to the MX518 which has a fabulous reputation (I've got a lot of use out of them), a similar shape to the Death Adder and Logitech have some of the best customer services for any electronics company (well here in the UK and Europe anyway).
list
End of the day though you're the one who's going to be using it so I'd say pop down to PC World, avoid being pounced on by over exuberant sales staff and see what mouse you like the ergonomics of.

I plan to pick this one \/ (or G400), if it's as good as it's supposed to be and gets here anytime soon
http://gaming.logitech.com/en-us/product/g402-hyperion-fury-fps-gaming-mouse

don't like design of both that much, though. Well, G400 are here, but sold out already (where I usually buy) and damn expensive to boot.

edited: I like steamgaf optimism, most are sure HL3 will come one way or another.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Anyone remember when Valve was working with Arkane (the Dishonored devs) on a Source game called the Crossing that was going to blend multiplayer and singleplayer? Theoretically, it sounded a bit like a Half Life game where other players could control enemy NPCs in another persons 'single player' playthrough. Possibly a bit like Watch_Dogs.

I'd be pretty surprised if Half Life 3 ends up with some sort of mandatory multi component, rather than an optional one. It would be pretty shocking for them to forgo the whole cinematic campaign thing they kicked off. Particularly when they have so many people who are so talented at it

Gintoki

I just saw this game on the coming soon section, Project D Online (MMORPG). I've read the steam community forum and apparently its currently being worked on by one person, will be sold for $15 (no monthly sub or DLC)

ss_c9db347a85023b34c95e011e10fddc2852a8e254.1920x1080.jpg
ss_cbfbd566ec91618af66cc80b0c0625d9ca9e0762.1920x1080.jpg

I give it 3 months max till he shuts it down

AHA-Lambda

Thanks guys, think I'll act go for the G400S, cos when the saw it I realised it was the same mouse as what my friend has (or the g400 anyway) and he likes it, plus it's comfortable.

Also saves me a bit over the others I look at, cos the keyboard will cost me a pretty penny (but I really want a mechanical keyboard!)

Arthea

Actually I really dont know why. For Dota 2 they have an own launcher and I always wondered why Valve didnt release it on Steam there. Would have pushed Steam there a lot.

really? I was sure they have steam doto like everybody else. Why would valve do that?

It looks like a least comfortable mouse I ever seen, I wonder if that was intention of such design (><)

Do you know that two South Park tables are coming to FX2?

kiyomi

Thanks guys, think I'll act go for the G400S, cos when the saw it I realised it was the same mouse as what my friend has (or the g400 anyway) and he likes it, plus it's comfortable.

Also saves me a bit over the others I look at, cos the keyboard will cost me a pretty penny (but I really want a mechanical keyboard!)

Should've got this.

You cheapskate.

really? I was sure they have steam doto like everybody else. Why would valve do that?

I never understood that too. I thought if they would release it on Steam in China, Steam would really get big there, but instead they decided to release it through Perfect World. From the Wiki:

On October 19, 2012, the leading Beijing-based video game developer and publisher, Perfect World, announced the acquisition of the exclusive rights to publish and distribute Dota 2 in China.[53] On November 9, 2012, a similar deal was made with the Tokyo-based developer and publisher, Nexon Co. Ltd. to publish and distribute in Japan and South Korea.[54]

Concerning mouses I always go for Logitech.

Arthea

I never understood that too. I thought if they would release it on Steam in China, Steam would really get big there, but instead they decided to release it through Perfect World. From the Wiki:

It just occurred to me that probably this decision explains popularity of doto in China.

Actually I really dont know why. For Dota 2 they have an own launcher and I always wondered why Valve didnt release it on Steam there. Would have pushed Steam there a lot.
First time I've heard of this, I have a friend in China who plays Dota 2 on steam, maybe he got in the beta days?

tioslash

So Alien Isolation is already available for pre-load on Xbox it seems? Steam usually allows games to be pre-loaded (when it´s available) just the day before release or may be earlier?

Bluth54

Isn't there a lot of rules and regulations for overseas companies releasing things in China? I think sometimes it's easier for a company like Valve to just partner with a Chinese company to release their products.

Isn't there a lot of rules and regulations for overseas companies releasing things in China? I think sometimes it's easier for a company like Valve to just partner with a Chinese company to release their products.

Actually not. You can access Steam and download all the games without any problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom