• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[STEAM] Suicide Squad: KTJL has experienced a ~60% drop in players. It has more reviews than active players

Self explanatory: BOMBA

UIpr1hM.png

5HmJyWY.png

I don’t they’ll be shut down. To recoup the costs of this travesty they’ll release an RTX 60fps remaster of Arkham Knight on console for 60 bucks at this point.

Not sure that'll be enough to fund the studio.

My question is, who is so tuned into gaming that they buy this at launch, but so tuned out not to know that it was going to be trash?

Is it just pure casuals who see commercials but don't read anything and buy their games at launch? Would love a deep dive into that. Same people who buy Madden probably.

Saber

Gold Member
Must be because a person felt great playing for about 10 minutes and then drops the game.

Last edited:

skit_data

I don’t they’ll be shut down. To recoup the costs of this travesty they’ll release an RTX 60fps remaster of Arkham Knight on console for 60 bucks at this point.
This is an obvious way to at least recoup some cred within the industry but I'm not sure they will tbh

SCB3

To be fair, its a 7/10 game and I was done with it in less than 15 hours, once the main story was done I had 0 reason to ever go back to it and moved on

00_Zer0

Glad to see it crash and burn. Props to the founders for abandoning a sinking ship after the corps started meddling with the company.
I wonder if they left because interference from WB, and the companies CEO signaling the future to be in GaaS gaming? You have to wonder if WB put down mandates or if a senior developer at the studio that the cofounders had no control over made these bad decisions for SS.

Vick

I'd be all over a simple native current gen port with TAA and 60fps, for even $70 if necessary.

But it has to be an impeccable port of the Rocksteady console version with every single asset and effect intact, and none of the butching that happened with the Arkham Collection.

Robb

Gold Member
Donald Glover Reaction GIF

Although I’m sure the suits at WB Games will find some excuse for this failure other than the game being GAAS.. Then force Rocksteady to make another attempt until they shut down the entire studio because they “don’t deliver”.

Freeman76

I wonder if they left because interference from WB, and the companies CEO signaling the future to be in GaaS gaming? You have to wonder if WB put down mandates or if a senior developer at the studio that the cofounders had no control over made these bad decisions for SS.
Dunno, I mean if WB were gonna do this with any franchise you'd think they would have done it with Hogwarts. Fucking annoying thing is, I would have loved that game to have a season pass with DLC chapters as the game was incredible.

Darsxx82

Just how long until Rocksteady gets shut down?
I don't think they are going to close, but I am very clear that layoffs are coming and the first will be the directors and heads of the Studio. If it is already a trend in the industry...imagine for a Studio that has just had a completely failed project.

Personally I think it's a pretty decent game and great production values. But it was definitely born with everything to lose from the moment it disappointed the great mass of Rockstedy followers when they discovered what type of game it was. The rest has been a snowball.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

RTX is not a thing on console. But I would like to play AK at 60.

lefty1117

Gold Member
It's weird, there are some quality things about the game in terms of presentation but it just isn't all that fun to play. Like, it "feels" like a good game but then it's kinda boring.

Flabagast

It is a massive bomba, of much larger proportion than Anthem or Avengers.

Most studios responsible for such a failure, especially after so long development time, would close in the following year. At the end of the day ROI will be negative by several tens of millions.

We ll see what happens to Rocksteady

skyfall

Haven't heard about this game for a long time, completely forgot it, seems like it came out ages ago

Last edited:

Pejo

Are people so interested in this game failing because of the ruined legacy of Rocksteady, the type of game it is (zoomer shooter), the GaaS focus, or just because it looks like a bad game? I'm all for anything touched by Sweet Baby to crash and burn, but I'm just curious what exactly is driving the hate boner for this game in particular. Usually when a game gets this much exposure for how shit it's doing, there's a bigger reason behind it and I don't really follow western games much anymore, so I'm curious.

SJRB

Gold Member
Can't imagine what it must feel like to work on something for seven years and then first seeing almost no one buying it and then seeing 60% of the people who did buy it drop it after only a couple of hours. Morale must be brutal at Rocksteady right now.

Mistakes were made.

RagnarokIV

Can't imagine what it must feel like to work on something for seven years and then first seeing almost no one buying it and then seeing 60% of the people who did buy it drop it after only a couple of hours. Morale must be brutal at Rocksteady right now.

Mistakes were made.
“The doctor said my mom should have an abortion (abortion) (abortion)
I don’t wanna waste my time”

it's because it's not batman arkham 5, they want rocksteady to just make arkham games till the end of time.
this is kind of a silly thing to say dude. Even during Arkham city you’d see on gaming forums people wanting a rocksteady green arrow, Justice League, TMNT, Wonder Woman, and more.

After knight a lot of the gaming community expected and was excited for Superman.

FunkMiller

Are people so interested in this game failing because of the ruined legacy of Rocksteady, the type of game it is (zoomer shooter), the GaaS focus, or just because it looks like a bad game?

It‘s the very obvious hijacking of an excellent single player developer, and turning them into a machine for making GaaS garbage. It’s the most egregious example of a wider phenomenon forced by greedy games executives, that has seen other great developers get fucked as well. This game has become symbolic of all of that, given its high profile, and the previous large fan base for the Arkham games.

this is kind of a silly thing to say dude. Even during Arkham city you’d see on gaming forums people wanting a rocksteady green arrow, Justice League, TMNT, Wonder Woman, and more.

After knight a lot of the gaming community expected and was excited for Superman.
I responded specifically on the question of what's driving the "hate boner" for this game; what I expressed comes from what I've heard people say who haven't played or have no intention of playing the game, it's not about people who've actually played it and provided thoughtful criticism. I don't see that as a "hate boner", and as an aside, whatever a handful of people vocalised in the past about what kind of other things they might want to see has zero relevance on the current "hate boner" complaints for suicide squad.
Heck Gotham knights suffered from it as well as people initially complained how you can't even play as batman in an arkham game, but it's not even an arkham game at all, people just set out to hate it from the jump because it didn't do the thing they were used to/wanted.

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University
I responded specifically on the question of what's driving the "hate boner" for this game; what I expressed comes from what I've heard people say who haven't played or have no intention of playing the game, it's not about people who've actually played it and provided thoughtful criticism. I don't see that as a "hate boner", and as an aside, whatever a handful of people vocalised in the past about what kind of other things they might want to see has zero relevance on the current "hate boner" complaints for suicide squad.
Heck Gotham knights suffered from it as well as people initially complained how you can't even play as batman in an arkham game, but it's not even an arkham game at all, people just set out to hate it from the jump because it didn't do the thing they were used to/wanted.
That’s the point? People want something and don’t get it, they will say something about said product. When I bought my PHEV Jeep Wrangler I made sure it had everything I wanted. First my wife tried to talk me into a sports car and I drove a vette, Camaro, etc and I told them when I test drove each car and everything I didn’t like I told them and then why I wasn’t purchasing. Do I not have a right to crap on the cars I didn’t buy now all of the sudden?

I’m pretty sure that’s how it works. You don’t like what the company produced people get online and talk about it. Just like that horrible sonic thing they had and people complained without seeing the movie.

I don’t give a crap what people think, the company that made the product thinks, if it looks horrible, plays horrible, isn’t up to my idea of a good product I’ll tell people about it. I don’t owe this company anything and neither does anyone else. If they want people buy their product, they need to make a good product and by what I’ve seen online and reviews, it’s a shit product that is a money grab and that makes it worse.

The point of goods and services are to give the majority of people to give them what they want, so the product sells. If they don’t, that is on them and judging by the player counts, they didn’t deliver at all. Sucks for them.

Last edited:
Will they ever learn? I knew the game was probably in trouble when all the characters had guns running around in the trailers. Seriously, these companies really need to slow down on these live service games. I think the game would have fared much better as a single player game like Spider-Man or the Arkham games.

That’s the point? People want something and don’t get it, they will say something about said product. When I bought my PHEV Jeep Wrangler I made sure it had everything I wanted.
...not a very good analogy, Jeep makes, well, Jeeps, do you walk into a Burger King and get upset they won't serve you a Big Mac and offer you their whopper instead? Gotham knights not having batman playable is not a valid complaint against the game, no matter how much you want it to.

Top Bottom