• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[STEAM] Suicide Squad: KTJL has experienced a ~60% drop in players. It has more reviews than active players

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University
...not a very good analogy, Jeep makes, well, Jeeps, do you walk into a Burger King and get upset they won't serve you a Big Mac and offer you their whopper instead? Gotham knights not having batman playable is not a valid complaint against the game, no matter how much you want it to.
Dude, I don’t care about the suicide game, care about the Gotham knights game. People want to play as Batman in that game as you can tell by the sales. They either give the masses what they want or not. They failed and we move on.

If you don’t give people what they want, they won’t buy it. No one owes these companies or anyone working for them anything. They have to earn people’s money they work for not the other way around. I don’t and I’m sure many others don’t get on our knees for any corporation that wants my money.

Last edited:
Dude, I don’t care about the suicide game, care about the Gotham knights game. People want to play as Batman in that game as you can tell by the sales. They either give the masses what they want or not. They failed and we move on.

If you don’t give people what they want, they won’t buy it. No one owes these companies or anyone working for them anything. They have to earn people’s money they work for not the other way around. I don’t and I’m sure many others don’t get on our knees for any corporation that wants my money.
...if you don't care then why are you even quoting me even though I was talking about some very specific examples?
And why are you now arguing things I wasn't?

Tajaz2426

...if you don't care then why are you even quoting me even though I was talking about some very specific examples?
And why are you now arguing things I wasn't?
Dude you’re arguing people have a hate boomer for it. That’s not it, people have a they are tired of companies telling them what they want boner.

My example was I am going to purchase what I want and I’ll talk about things I don’t purchase if they’re trash. I don’t care what you think about some hate boner for a game, you’re wrong. The consumer can say whatever the heck they want as they are the ones that are being catered to. People will talk about what they want if the product is trash and the product is severe trash.

Dude you’re arguing people have a hate boomer for it. That’s not it, people have a they are tired of companies telling them what they want boner.
When? Last I check I responded to someone asking why there seems to be a hate boner for the game, I'm not arguing anything; go quote him instead if you want to make your point about there not being a hate boner.
My example was I am going to purchase what I want and I’ll talk about things I don’t purchase if they’re trash. I don’t care what you think about some hate boner for a game, you’re wrong. The consumer can say whatever the heck they want as they are the ones that are being catered to. People will talk about what they want if the product is trash and the product is severe trash.
....ok, good for you.
Cept a product isn't trash just because it doesn't have the exact things you want, that's what I tried to convey with my big mac analogy, but it seems that went over your head. It's fine if you want to avoid a product for whatever reason, but that reason doesn't for a fact make the product "trash", it just isn't for you, just like apple products aren't for me since they don't offer the experience I want, but that doesn't make them trash.

Tajaz2426

When? Last I check I responded to someone asking why there seems to be a hate boner for the game, I'm not arguing anything; go quote him instead if you want to make your point about there not being a hate boner.

....ok, good for you.
Cept a product isn't trash just because it doesn't have the exact things you want, that's what I tried to convey with my big mac analogy, but it seems that went over your head. It's fine if you want to avoid a product for whatever reason, but that reason doesn't for a fact make the product "trash", it just isn't for you, just like apple products aren't for me since they don't offer the experience I want, but that doesn't make them trash.
No, the game is trash, period. That’s why people aren’t buying it, just like Gotham Knights.

We can just agree to disagree and move on. I may not of seen the other poster above you apparently and I apologize for that, bud.

No, the game is trash, period.
Nah, you don't get to decide that, steam reviews point to being "very positive", so at the very least the people who bought it there had somewhat a positive experience with it, no matter how you feel about that.
We can just agree to disagree and move on.
Charlie Day Ok GIF

StereoVsn

A Sweet Baby-approved microtransaction-laden looter shooter where I play as a bunch of unfunny lamers spouting cringe one-liners while murdering and lecturing the actual good characters I want to play as? Hold me back!
Yep, that’s the gist of it. People don’t have a “hate boner” for this game because. It’s not Batman. People hate it because it’s GaaS trash pile with terrible characters and uninteresting enemies.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
I had just beaten the game and got a decent ways into its “end-game”. I don’t have much else to play aside from Helldivers 2 (and I wait to play that with my buddies).

The game is just not good.

Narratively, it is rather insulting. You get so very little personality from the Justice League themselves or the Suicide Squad. A few quips, but very little in the ways of the depth we had gotten in Asylum, City, or even Knight. The game doesn’t even really end. The characters make a quip about how they will keep doing the same thing over and over again finding better loot.

Gameplay wise, it is just generic as all hell. The Arkham series made you FEEL like Batman, living in Gotham. Metropolis feels empty. There is just nothing to do here. There are maybe 2 Missions in the entire game that feel like what players want from Rocksteady, both involved Batman in some way, shape, or form. Almost everything else is the same generic open world mission structure with very little variation. This feels like a generic third person looter shooter with a skin on it. I don’t feel like Harley Quinn, Boomerang, or King Shark. The only one I really feel they got right was Deadshot and that is only because he normally uses guns.

The Endgame is piss poor. You do the same tired open world mission structure to get the Resource, P. Get 1000 and you can go do one of three missions each one giving selective parts of the seasons’ infamy set. The weapons don’t feel all that fun to use or feel like “bane” as he is the one these are based on Apparently. Just a loose skin on some weapons and minor modifiers. Maybe this changes at Tier 3? I doubt it though. Just repeat the same loop, slowly going up in “mastery” (difficulty) to unlock higher tiers until you get the max in Tier 3.

I really wanted to like this game, but they do everything they can to make it so boring.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
The real problem is that Helldivers 2 came out

Which is a far better GAAS product. Cheaper product, incredibly quick to gear up (Already doing some Expert level difficulty after about 7 hours of play with friends) and haven’t spent a single dime. Already unlocked the “paid” warbonds from just the free credits you can find in missions and in the ”free” warbond track. Also purchased 2 of the store items using said free credits because I liked the look of them.

Nothing is pay to win, it respects your time, and it actively changes over time. Easy to pick up and play.

Meanwhile in Suicide Squad, the most memorable skins for some of the characters are locked behind microtransactions more expensive than many games list prices, it also has you doing the same 3-4 levels for 30+ hours until you get the best loot and then you hvae to wait until the next content drop. Which already has been shown to be reskinned boss battle and another shallow character that lacks the depth of their previous entries.

I responded specifically on the question of what's driving the "hate boner" for this game; what I expressed comes from what I've heard people say who haven't played or have no intention of playing the game, it's not about people who've actually played it and provided thoughtful criticism. I don't see that as a "hate boner", and as an aside, whatever a handful of people vocalised in the past about what kind of other things they might want to see has zero relevance on the current "hate boner" complaints for suicide squad.
Heck Gotham knights suffered from it as well as people initially complained how you can't even play as batman in an arkham game, but it's not even an arkham game at all, people just set out to hate it from the jump because it didn't do the thing they were used to/wanted.
A lot of bloviating here but fact of the matter is your initial statement as you phrased it was just plain wrong. And I corrected it. So I’m not sure what this wall of text is

FingerBang

I had just beaten the game and got a decent ways into its “end-game”. I don’t have much else to play aside from Helldivers 2 (and I wait to play that with my buddies).

The game is just not good.

Narratively, it is rather insulting. You get so very little personality from the Justice League themselves or the Suicide Squad. A few quips, but very little in the ways of the depth we had gotten in Asylum, City, or even Knight. The game doesn’t even really end. The characters make a quip about how they will keep doing the same thing over and over again finding better loot.

Gameplay wise, it is just generic as all hell. The Arkham series made you FEEL like Batman, living in Gotham. Metropolis feels empty. There is just nothing to do here. There are maybe 2 Missions in the entire game that feel like what players want from Rocksteady, both involved Batman in some way, shape, or form. Almost everything else is the same generic open world mission structure with very little variation. This feels like a generic third person looter shooter with a skin on it. I don’t feel like Harley Quinn, Boomerang, or King Shark. The only one I really feel they got right was Deadshot and that is only because he normally uses guns.

The Endgame is piss poor. You do the same tired open world mission structure to get the Resource, P. Get 1000 and you can go do one of three missions each one giving selective parts of the seasons’ infamy set. The weapons don’t feel all that fun to use or feel like “bane” as he is the one these are based on Apparently. Just a loose skin on some weapons and minor modifiers. Maybe this changes at Tier 3? I doubt it though. Just repeat the same loop, slowly going up in “mastery” (difficulty) to unlock higher tiers until you get the max in Tier 3.

I really wanted to like this game, but they do everything they can to make it so boring.
I finished the game, too, and I can't entirely agree with a few points.

I enjoyed the characters and the banter between them. I think they did a great job with King Shark, Captain Boomerang, Luthor, and Waller.

The Gameplay worked for me because of the big focus on the traversal and because I don't know shit about any of the characters. The concept of "it makes me feel/doesn't make me feel like" doesn't apply to me, and I think this might make a huge difference. I loved the Arkham series but had never heard of Captain Boomerang and King Shark before they announced the game. That said, I thought it was enjoyable, though I agree with the lack of mission variety. In the end, there are 4 or 5 different types of them.

I agree on the endgame, which is also probably why the number of players has fallen. For me, there is no reason to keep playing until new content is released. There is no incentive for me to level up the other characters. I'm a big sucker for loot-based games, and yet, it was the least interesting part of Suicide Squad. So why would I do the same missions to get something with a little number up so I can go and play the same mission on a harder difficulty level to get the slightly bigger number?

I'm baffled by everything around this game. I don't think it deserves all the hate, but many Rocksteady choices make you scratch your head. It makes you wonder why they kept delaying it when there wasn't that much content in the first place to justify the long development cycle and how they plan to keep this game alive for years while making money off cosmetics and DLCs. I don't know their plan, but it sounds delusional no matter what. I really doubt the new characters and "new" bosses will change things.

I expect it to be supported for a few months and then be killed before the end of the year. There's no way they'll fulfill their vision and keep it going for 12 more seasons unless they plan to make it F2P at some point.

Last edited:

Freeman76

Nah, you don't get to decide that, steam reviews point to being "very positive", so at the very least the people who bought it there had somewhat a positive experience with it, no matter how you feel about that.

Charlie Day Ok GIF
Neither do the people on steam, your point is literally moot! Thats called purchase justification, which i suspect is what you are doing. The game is shit, the business model is shit, and this reflects in the sales. So what if 4000 gaming addicts buy every product that comes out and then gush about it on Steam, doesnt make the game good. This game is an insult to the people that supported the Arkham series, and if you cant see that you are the one who needs a reality check not the guy you keep harrassing.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
That’s the point? People want something and don’t get it, they will say something about said product. When I bought my PHEV Jeep Wrangler I made sure it had everything I wanted. First my wife tried to talk me into a sports car and I drove a vette, Camaro, etc and I told them when I test drove each car and everything I didn’t like I told them and then why I wasn’t purchasing. Do I not have a right to crap on the cars I didn’t buy now all of the sudden?

I’m pretty sure that’s how it works. You don’t like what the company produced people get online and talk about it. Just like that horrible sonic thing they had and people complained without seeing the movie.

I don’t give a crap what people think, the company that made the product thinks, if it looks horrible, plays horrible, isn’t up to my idea of a good product I’ll tell people about it. I don’t owe this company anything and neither does anyone else. If they want people buy their product, they need to make a good product and by what I’ve seen online and reviews, it’s a shit product that is a money grab and that makes it worse.

The point of goods and services are to give the majority of people to give them what they want, so the product sells. If they don’t, that is on them and judging by the player counts, they didn’t deliver at all. Sucks for them.

I just want to post "to a point." In the same way cinema has movies that are clearly Art and ones that are clearly a Product, video games do to. I would however hardly argue that Suicide Squad is an Art form game when it has been quite clearly designed by committee.

If the game was actually any good people would play it, and continue to play it. The fact no one is buying it based on word of mouth and those that did DESPITE the positive steam reviews mostly dropped it is very telling.

I don't think it will even finish its announced season pass, it will be dumped before then. This is what happens when you take an audience for granted, and it's a joy to watch it crash and burn.

Last edited:

Roufianos

Charlie Day Ok GIF
If Steam players are enjoying the game so much why has its already small player base plummeted?

We could have gotten a batman beyond game by now or a justice league game.

Considering we got three Arkham games (four if you include the Vita game) in the span of like 9 years, we realistically could've gotten both a Batman Beyond AND a Justice League game in the time it took to make Suicide Squad.

Goalus

Counter Strike also has more reviews than active players.
PUBG as well. Cyberpunk too. It's true for most games probably.

The current developers of Rocksteady have ruined a franchise made by better people. I cannot respect those who insult fans and destroy the legacy of others. If they shut down, nothing of value will be lost.

Yeah, they killed Batman. Congrats. They can wear that badge of honor in their next destruction job.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
If Steam players are enjoying the game so much why has its already small player base plummeted?
Because of all the negativity. Those that ignored the negative buzz and bought it at launch had fun with it, finished the available content and moved on. Those that did not ignore the negativity are just not jumping in, and in some cases might be manufacturing negativity where it doesn't exist.

If it was well received and amazing, you might expect count to go up, but if it is just OK fun for 15 hours its really going to be like a movie where there is a steady decline with little upticks at the weekends.

I had no interest in this game because I'm so fucking sick of Harley Quinn. Wish that character would just go away forever.
Never going to happen. She sells way too much merch to girls and women. As I understand it, a lot of the initial female fans of Harley got into her because they could relate to being in love with someone who was totally wrong for you. Of course, then she became a girl boss. They'll just keep altering her to keep her relevant because they make too much money off of her, like head and shoulders above all of the other major female DC characters.

Braag

Are people so interested in this game failing because of the ruined legacy of Rocksteady, the type of game it is (zoomer shooter), the GaaS focus, or just because it looks like a bad game? I'm all for anything touched by Sweet Baby to crash and burn, but I'm just curious what exactly is driving the hate boner for this game in particular. Usually when a game gets this much exposure for how shit it's doing, there's a bigger reason behind it and I don't really follow western games much anymore, so I'm curious.
I think it mainly has to do with a good studios talent being wasted for 9 years to make a game no one wanted or asked for. The game doesn't have much content for a live service game, the story pissed most people off and it doesn't even have a proper resolution to its narrative because it has to keep going forever as a live service game. The end game apparently consists of repeating same 3 mission types over and over and fighting Brainiac. I don't think any of the reviews said they had any interest to keep playing it.
It's just a bad game and Rocksteady could have done so much better if they were allowed to do what they excell at.

xrnzaaas

Based on what I've read about SS people might have dropped the game as soon as they finished the main story, not taking interest in the endgame (which apparently sucks and lacks live service game content). Or maybe they dropped out even sooner if they were pissed enough about the game pissing on their favorite superheroes.

Plus Helldivers 2 is the new hit for people wanting to play games with their friends.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

I think it mainly has to do with a good studios talent being wasted for 9 years to make a game no one wanted or asked for. The game doesn't have much content for a live service game, the story pissed most people off and it doesn't even have a proper resolution to its narrative because it has to keep going forever as a live service game. The end game apparently consists of repeating same 3 mission types over and over and fighting Brainiac. I don't think any of the reviews said they had any interest to keep playing it.
It's just a bad game and Rocksteady could have done so much better if they were allowed to do what they excell at.

I refuse to believe they were making this game for nine years.

I’m hoping there’s some sort of revealing report that goes into it at some point.

it's because it's not batman arkham 5, they want rocksteady to just make arkham games till the end of time
More like, we have loved their single player games and want them to make another amazing single player game batman or not. We have no interest in a GAAS style game. I wonder why it's hard for game developers to see there are two different fan bases for those two style of games? I feel those two fan bases don't cross over very much, hence why SSKJL won't do well.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
I refuse to believe they were making this game for nine years.

I’m hoping there’s some sort of revealing report that goes into it at some point.

If you work on a game for nine years and all you can come up with is "protect this vehicle from waves of enemies", "defend yourself from waves of enemies" and "rescue the hostage from waves of enemies" then what the fuck have you been doing for all this time?

Catastrophic waste of resources.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
I beat it, did a few hours of Elseworlds and that was enough (similar trajectory for TTW now that I'm thinking about it). Will check out the actually live-service content when it drops, as I imagine most others also will.

. . . absolutely hilarious these studio management and business takes though in this thread.

The real problem is that Helldivers 2 came out

A straight up GaaS games, far more than SS, that none of the folks protesting what GaaS is doing to gaming/gaming studios ("But my single player!") want anything to do with.

Top Bottom