• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Top 10 Releases of 2023 by Full Game Revenue

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
53459810781_389c1594bc_o.jpg

image created by baiisun on Reddit

The top 3, Baldur's Gate III, Hogwarts Legacy, and Starfield in particular are quite impressive. An indie game, a new videogame IP in a "fledgling" franchise, and a new IP altogether. Doubly impressive for Starfield considering it's a day one Game Pass title.

Also Lethal Company was made by one person. Absolutely insane numbers there.

Source

Last edited:

xVodevil

FC fuckin' 24 up there? Alright... that's about steam mixed review relevance right there
Good for the rest though .. maybe meh Jedi Survivor but hey whatever..

Codes 208

Lethal Company is the real winner here. That game was made by a single guy, supposedly. 0 marketing. Released at the end of October. And still managed to make 52 mil. Crazy.
Its gonna be the next phasmo or amogus in terms of pop culture relevance for indie games, thats pretty much garaunteed.

I still find it hilarious how much salt he got when people realized he was a furry

Fbh

Damn that Lethal Company dude is basically set for life, congrats to him.

Also still can't believe Kadokawa was actually underwhelmed by the AC6 sales. Like what the fuck did they expect? Niche low sale franchise is the 6th best selling game on steam but that's not good enough?

bender

What time is it?
Lethal Company is the real winner here. That game was made by a single guy, supposedly. 0 marketing. Released at the end of October. And still managed to make 52 mil. Crazy.

Yep. I still think Sons of the Forest is the bigger surprise to me. Maybe I missed the hype wave and discussions.

The only game I purchased on that list was Armored Core. Super happy for its' success.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
See Danjin44 Danjin44 ? AC6 was pretty popular.

Considering From games usually have close to half of their sales on PC, i think its safe to assume it made somewhere between 150-200 million dollars so far including consoles.
Glad to see, I hope they continue make AC games and I want DLC for AC6 like the kind of direct sequel/expansion similar what we got with AC on PS2 and PS3 days.

Last edited:
Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
I'm pretty sure Baldur's Gate 3 is not an indie game? Larian has 6 locations around the globe and 450 employees.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Lethal Company, made by one kid (I think he's 21 years old) absolutely destroying the bloated AAA industry. You love to see it.

Jesb

With how successful the RE4 formula was it’s odd they moved away from that formula with 7 and 8 and probably what 9 will be. There’s no doubt RE5 is next. Not my choice for the next remake but it seems likely.

graywolf323

isnt this just using the vg estimates?
yeah I looked at the report that is the source and they openly state these figures are estimates & they didn’t receive any data from Valve 🤨

Video Game Insights (VGI) is in no way affiliated with Steam or Valve.
All data provided in this report is freely available and can be shared without any restrictions.
All data provided in this report is based on estimates and should be considered as such.

based on that they don’t actually have numbers for the games, they just have an algorithm that they think gives them a good guesstimate

Last edited:

Godot25

Banned
So almost only single player games. This makes me happy.
Of course. Because that list only count games that were released in 2023. And I don't think that there were major multiplayer games released in 2023. Maybe The Finals but that game was released way to late to make a dent.
So for example even if Counter Strike/Apex Legends/PUBG made more money, they would not be included here...Which they probably did...

Last edited:

Wildebeest

I guess BG3 just had way more legs and good word of mouth than Hogwarts.

I want to add a snide ironic joke here about how the greedy revenue split and returns policy makes steam a place where devs can't make honest money, but I'm too tired to think of one.

That's great for Starfield until you realize that Skyrim did a billion dollars in its first 30 days... largely driven by PC revenue.

Starfield was a flash in the pan. No one is saying it didn't sell ANY copies, but it certainly didn't meet expectations. It dropped off the charts almost immediately, whereas Bethesda games tend to have legs.

Doing 76 million dollars more than Resident Evil 4 remake isn't a lot to boast about. Also not sure that VGinsights is accounting for Diablo 4.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
How do they measure this, especially for the big games that have all kinds of DLC and some very differently priced versions on top of not revealing their sales numbers? Just check SteamSpy and average it out or what? Seems like we need an "according to x" disclaimer added to the thread title tbh.

Last edited:
Skyrim was the 5th mainline entry in 2+ decades old franchise, of course it did better. Skyrim wasn't on Gamepass day one. Skyrim was on PlayStation. And so on.

Being a mainline entry in a franchise doesn't guarantee you sales.

Starfield had every opportunity to build off the foundation of Elder's Scrolls as this was heavily marketed as the Elder's Scrolls in space.

I love how GamePass is now effectively being argued as a reduction in revenue, something we all knew from the get go.

You're basically making an argument to get rid of GamePass and go multiplatform. And so on.

Oh, he knows all that. Even knows RE4 released 5+ months before Starfield.

Yeah, because we don't know that the majority of revenue comes within the first 3 months post launch, especially for a title like RE4.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Yet you played through the entirety of Forspoken and Immortals of Aveum and consider them to be good. 😂
Not played Immortals yet.
But Forspoken is 100% one of best 2023 games. It it infinitely better in every aspect compared to starfield.
It actually plays good and is enjoyable.
it's a huge shame people buy this shite and not pay any attention to games more worthy of it

Last edited:
Top Bottom