• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Top 10 Releases of 2023 by Full Game Revenue

Ozriel

M$FT
How do they measure this, especially for the big games that have all kinds of DLC and some very differently priced versions on top of not revealing their sales numbers? Just check SteamSpy and average it out or what? Seems like we need an "according to x" disclaimer added to the thread title tbh.

Their numbers are definitely conservative, since they’re estimating game sales then multiplying by the estimated prices. This won’t cover the revenue from those who paid for the ultimate edition of Starfield to play early, for example. Screenshot from the source.

Bcy4tVx.jpg

I love how GamePass is now effectively being argued as a reduction in revenue, something we all knew from the get go.

You're basically making an argument to get rid of GamePass and go multiplatform. And so on.

People don’t pay for GamePass with bananas, ya know. Revenue comes from subscriptions. You’re going to see a reduction in revenue from retail sales, but the calculation is it’s offset by revenue from GP subscriptions. And we know Starfield did drive at least a bump in subscriptions.

I don’t see where he’s making any argument to get rid of GP. If anything, this shows that MS strategy of releasing games on Steam generates enough money for successful games to offset development cost.

Yeah, because we don't know that the majority of revenue comes within the first 3 months post launch, especially for a title like RE4.

and yet, a year after release, Elden Ring still made it to Steam’s Gold list for revenue, and Spider Man Remastered and Miles Morales showed up in the Bronze Tier. All 2022 releases. Sea of Thieves released 2020 and still is in the silver tier.

Many titles still make significant revenue after the first 3 months, especially when they’re well received.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Not played Immortals yet.
But Forspoken is 100% one of best 2023 games. It it infinitely better in every aspect compared to starfield.
It actually plays good and is enjoyable.
it's a huge shame people buy this shite and not pay any attention to games more worthy of it

How do you not realize how ridiculous you sound all the time. You liked Forspoken despite most people not liking it, yet you are saying nobody should like Starfield because you didn’t like it. Just a long line in absurd positions to take.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
How do you not realize how ridiculous you sound all the time. You liked Forspoken despite most people not liking it, yet you are saying nobody should like Starfield because you didn’t like it. Just a long line in absurd positions to take.
and how do you not realize how shit starfield is compared to forspoken?
I think that in no word starfield is a better game than forspoken.
Just because you think forpsoken is bad and I praise the game, it doesn't make it so I cannot critique any other game, because I like a game that is in your opinion "bad". And even if, I can still think other game is bad. what does it matter.
People complain about boring empty fields in both of these games but in forspoken you get actiivities, events, fantastic combat and traversal. The terrain is not as boring and bland.
Your loss. Miss out on a good game and continue riding the bandwagon.

The fact that many people played starfield does not make it good.
The fact that nobody played forspoken does not make it bad.

and you know it. Forspoken got bad meme treatment and bandwagon. All there is to it. Starfield got crazy hype and it was supposed to be skyrim in space.
Starfield is expected to be a buggy mess so everyone turned a blind eye but it was also incredibly boring nonsense this time around. I loved morrowind, oblivion and fallout games but starfield is awful. Trully a bad game.

edit: to be clear - Starfield is not trash. It's just a mid/bad game that I would not play even for free. But that doesn't mean people can't have their own fun with it. There is always some fun to be made even in a bad bethesda game.

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
and how do you not realize how shit starfield is compared to forspoken?
I think that in no word starfield is a better game than forspoken.
Just because you think forpsoken is bad and I praise the game, it doesn't make it so I cannot critique any other game, because I like a game that is in your opinion "bad". And even if, I can still think other game is bad. what does it matter.
People complain about boring empty fields in both of these games but in forspoken you get actiivities, events, fantastic combat and traversal. The terrain is not as boring and bland.
Your loss. Miss out on a good game and continue riding the bandwagon.

The fact that many people played starfield does not make it good.
The fact that nobody played forspoken does not make it bad.

and you know it. Forspoken got bad meme treatment and bandwagon. All there is to it. Starfield got crazy hype and it was supposed to be skyrim in space.
Starfield is expected to be a buggy mess so everyone turned a blind eye but it was also incredibly boring nonsense this time around. I loved morrowind, oblivion and fallout games but starfield is awful. Trully a bad game.

so all the reviewers are wrong about forspoken and it’s actually good, but all the reviewers were right about starfield and nobody should buy it (your words). It’s just funny to see the guy who loves forspoken and dark souls 2 question why anyone would buy a game that didn’t get glowing reviews.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
so all the reviewers are wrong about forspoken and it’s actually good, but all the reviewers were right about starfield and nobody should buy it (your words). It’s just funny to see the guy who loves forspoken and dark souls 2 question why anyone would buy a game that didn’t get glowing reviews.
Yes. Some reviewers also bandwagon and have populist influenced ideas. Of course.
And ds2 is fantastic. You should try it and develop your own taste for games

//DEVIL//

Not sure how Starfield made it. I must have played the first 1 hour so wrong because I do not want to touch it again. Thank god I got it for free with my AMD CPU because if I had bought I'll will be crying a river by now.

BUTT. I am glad the first 3 are single player games.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Untitled.png

i did and it stinks

My buddy and I have been running through Souls games in co-op of late. I only dabbled in the PS4 version when it released and only finished it once on PS3 and as forgetful as I am, it mostly felt like a new experience. A new, miserable experience. I used to say that even a bad Souls game is good and probably better than 99% of the wannabes, but DS2 is a bad game. The second part of that statement is probably correct, but maybe not 99% anymore with the likes of Nioh and Lies of P.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Fine, but I think that definition applies to a lot of companies over there, like Valve if I'm not mistaken?

It applies to a few that many wouldn’t think of as “indie”, yes. The meaning of the term is pretty fluid anyway; I don’t personally think too hard about it.

Last edited:

Baki

53459810781_389c1594bc_o.jpg

image created by baiisun on Reddit

The top 3, Baldur's Gate III, Hogwarts Legacy, and Starfield in particular are quite impressive. An indie game, a new videogame IP in a "fledgling" franchise, and a new IP altogether. Doubly impressive for Starfield considering it's a day one Game Pass title.

Also Lethal Company was made by one person. Absolutely insane numbers there.

Source
The data is an estimate from VGC. Basically made up 😂

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Starfield had every opportunity to build off the foundation of Elder's Scrolls as this was heavily marketed as the Elder's Scrolls in space.

I love how GamePass is now effectively being argued as a reduction in revenue, something we all knew from the get go.

You're basically making an argument to get rid of GamePass and go multiplatform. And so on.

Eeeh, okay? Of course Game Pass will cannibalize some of the sales. But at the same time Starfield set a record for the most Game Pass subscriptions added on a single day, ever. That’s extra revenue.

And yes, Microsoft should go full on multiplatform, they are a software company first and foremost. Software is where the money is anyway. Software sales and subscriptions.

Fredrik

And yes, Microsoft should go full on multiplatform, they are a software company first and foremost. Software is where the money is anyway. Software sales and subscriptions.
I think the whole industry is about a decade away from nothing being locked to a specific hardware. But I also think we’re less than a decade away from games being locked down to subscriptions.
Basically, Gamepass will be the platform, and there will be exclusives, both timed and real. That’s why MS want Gamepass on every screen.
It will be a noisy transition because right now Xbox console fans think the Xbox console is the platform, they just ignore PC, and they treat Gamepass as an Xbox exclusive feature and don’t really want Gamepass everywhere.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Only basic mods work. Anything that involves a script extender doesn't work.

That's why if you want the game on PC it's best to just buy it via steam.
That makes some sense why people bought steam version.
Because even me, hater of other launchers and gp, spend 10$ to play starfield and size of D

yazenov

I think Starfield sales are underwhelming.

Assuming these charts are accurate and they sold the game at $70, the game sold around 3.3 million copies, and the bulk of the sales are on Steam, not the console according to the sales trackers. ( In the UK, two-thirds of the Starfield’s unit sales were on PC according to GSD figures) . For one of the most hyped games of the generation, and Bethesda's Skyrim in space, it's MEH as they were expecting 10 million from PS5 alone from the leaks.

I know it's on Gamepass but the game no doubt underdelivered in sales and failed to drive sales of the console, which declined YOY from the previous year with no big hitters.

Last edited:
The data is an estimate from VGC. Basically made up 😂
Yeah $650 dollars for Baldur's Gate 3 means it would have outsold every Sony First Party game accept Spider-Man.

Maybe it could of? The 70 dollar price tag has substantially increased revenues. Would have had to have sold 10 million units at 70 dollars.

Fredrik

That makes some sense why people bought steam version.
This game was always a Steam release for lots and lots of Bethesda fans, surprised you didn’t know this. There are mods for the Gamepass version too, modders always finds a way, but you have to go through extra hoops. It’s about not allowing full unrestricted file access to source files iirc. Plus, regarding sales, it’s not like everyone on PC subscribe to Gamepass.

Last edited:

Baki

Yeah $650 dollars for Baldur's Gate 3 means it would have outsold every Sony First Party game accept Spider-Man.

Maybe it could of? The 70 dollar price tag has substantially increased revenues. Would have had to have sold 10 million units at 70 dollars.
These numbers are made up. They don’t get data from Steam. Their RE4 number is way off when looking at official Capcom numbers.

hlm666

Hogwarts Legacy sold 22 million copies but according to these charts, it sold around 5 million copies on Steam. So the remaining 17 million units are from consoles?
Even if the numbers are correct it's revenue not sales and it's been on sale many times and the way this is calculated doesn't distinguish between actual steam sales and registered keys from legit and grey market sites.

Last edited:

yazenov

Even if the numbers are correct it's revenue not sales and it's been on sale many times and the way this is calculated doesn't distinguish between actual steam sales and registered keys from legit and grey market sites.

I know it's a rough estimate but going by the link you've posted, the average price is $49.15. So that's 7 million units from the 22 million, which is only 32% of the console sales.

adamosmaki

Yep. I still think Sons of the Forest is the bigger surprise to me. Maybe I missed the hype wave and discussions.

The only game I purchased on that list was Armored Core. Super happy for its' success.
Not that surprising when you consider The forest was one of the best survival games and it sold a lot and Sons of the forest was steams most wishlisted game. Also the forest had a great story and people wanted to see where the story goes from there
Also is a great survival game although i still prefer the first forest game especially the Story and building

Last edited:

adamosmaki

Overwatch aside the lack of live service or microtransaction-supported titles fills me with joy.
So glad about BG3, sons of the forest , Hogwarts legacy , AC6 and RE4 proving there is a huge market for single player games

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Can’t help but wonder how accurate the dataset is. For example, Starfield would be somewhat challenging to calculate. You had users with free copies due to buying AMD hardware and AMD didn’t pay MS $70/copy mos likely. Then you had higher priced editions of the game. And of course you had a lot of pushback and likely returns.

I just can’t help but wonder if their algorithm can sufficiently account for things like that. I guess they would “round” down so to speak to be more conservative, but still.

hlm666

I know it's a rough estimate but going by the link you've posted, the average price is $49.15. So that's 7 million units from the 22 million, which is only 32% of the console sales.
32% of 4 platforms doesn't seem terrible. We really need to move on from down playing pc sales, it's getting old. We had Sony crying about cod and it only accounts for 16% of cod market share, with your attitude that would make it what, not important to the publisher and maybe they should just focus on mobile?

"Speaking of the share of each platform for CoD, Kotick said “the bulk of players are playing on phones,” followed by PC (25%), PlayStation (15-16%), and Xbox (7-8%)."

It's admirable you ignored BG3 revenue though.

Mr Moose

32% of 4 platforms doesn't seem terrible. We really need to move on from down playing pc sales, it's getting old. We had Sony crying about cod and it only accounts for 16% of cod market share, with your attitude that would make it what, not important to the publisher and maybe they should just focus on mobile?

"Speaking of the share of each platform for CoD, Kotick said “the bulk of players are playing on phones,” followed by PC (25%), PlayStation (15-16%), and Xbox (7-8%)."

It's admirable you ignored BG3 revenue though.
That's talking about CoD in general, not the mainline CoD. It's the free-to-play versions included. Players != sales.

Top Bottom